Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 60 ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia). Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 60
 
Heero rode his horse around, making sure the gray was soft, supple and listening to his aids. As he rode his mind flicked back over the years, from when he'd first gotten Zero as a colt, breaking him in and teaching him to jump. They had come a long way since then and Heero was both proud and awed by the success they had achieved. His dream of riding for his country was coming true, representing his nation in this competition the stepping stone he needed to gain his ultimate goal.
 
Riding in the Olympics.
 
Fate had been kind to him, Heero decided and thanked whatever powers that be he'd decided to enter the open jumping competition at an agricultural show in a small town called Salsbury. For if he hadn't, his life would most certainly have turned out very differently.
 
He had all he could want: a successful career, good horse and another at home in the stable that showed promise; but above all he'd found happiness and a lover in the form of a violet eyed vet.
 
But Duo was more than a partner, friend or lover. He was Heero's heart and soul, his very reason for living. The way Duo always supported him, gave freely of his time, regardless of his own needs or wants, only cemented Heero's love and dedication to his soul mate.
 
Without Duo, Heero had no purpose in life.
 
Duo had backed him and encouraged him to try for his dream and now he was close to achieving that dream and he had Duo's unwavering dedication to thank for it. He intended to show his lover that his faith wasn't unfounded.
 
He would go out there and ride like he'd never ridden before. He would clear every jump and really make Duo proud of him.
 
Determination shone in blue eyes, nerves were pushed aside as Heero set his mind to the task ahead.
 
Zero felt the change in his master, the way his master sat firmer in the saddle, confidence passing through the reins and transmitting to Zero in the silent way that only horses could understand. Tossing his head, Zero let his master know he was ready for whatever his master wanted of him.
 
* * *
 
It was going to be a close competition. The third rider from the English team entered the arena, saluted the judge and commenced his course. In the seats surrounding the arena the spectators watched in silence as the horse and rider negotiated the course. Noin fidgeted slightly in her seat, knowing that a lot depended on how well the other teams went.
 
The English rider went clear.
 
Duo watched carefully, even to his inexperienced eye he could tell that the height wasn't affecting the competitors all that much. It would seem that they had all learned valuable lessons from their first rounds and were out to improve on them.
 
The Italian rider entered the arena next and skillfully attacked the course. He'd scored four faults in the first round and had learned from his mistakes. He also went clear.
 
Treize sighed and muttered under his breath, “This is going to go right down to the wire.”
 
“I agree,” Noin muttered back as the Swedish rider entered for his second round.
 
“Seems everyone wants that cup,” Duo remarked as the Swede went clear.
 
“What do you think our chances are?” Zechs questioned.
 
“Our chances are just as good as everyone else's, providing the riders all remain focused,” Noin said. “They've all jumped this course before and there's no reason why they can't do just as well as the rest of the teams are.”
 
Duo's stomach was churning with nerves, he could only imagine how Heero must be feeling. Carrying the hopes of a nation upon your shoulders couldn't be an easy thing to do.
 
The South African rider entered next and despite his horse's best efforts, they knocked down part C of the triple.
 
“Four faults,” the commentator announced.
 
Duo thought the commentator sounded a little pleased about that.
 
The New Zealand rider came in and silence descended once again. They started out well but came to grief at fence seven, poles scattering everywhere and the rider only just managing to stay in his saddle. They recovered and went on to finish the course without further faults.
 
“Representing Australia, Heero Yuy and Zero.”
 
The crowd gave a roar as Heero rode into the arena, the first of the Aussies to ride with Alex having been withdrawn. Duo felt his chest swell with pride as he watched his lover enter and noted Heero's calm appearance.
 
* * *
 
The steward motioned for the New Zealand rider to enter the arena and called for Heero to be on stand by. Heero brought the stallion to a walk and ran a hand along the soft, gray neck. He kept his horse walking around, not allowing Zero to cool off too much, like any athlete, a horse needed to have warm muscles to tackle the job ahead.
 
Heero listened as the commentator announce four faults for the Kiwi and then the steward was calling him forth. Collecting Zero up, Heero turned for the arena entry, speaking softly to the stallion. "This is it, Zero. This is the one that really counts. We have to go clear, the country is depending on us so I want you to jump like you've never jumped before."
 
Zero snorted and threw in a couple of dancing steps. He was ready, just let him at those jumps and he'd show them all what he was made of!
 
The roar of the crowd greeted their ears as Heero rode into the arena. Zero felt the tension in the atmosphere, heard the noise of the crowd and danced on his toes. He loved to be the center of attention!
 
“Easy, boy,” Heero muttered. “Save your energy for the fences, they're a bit bigger than last time.”
 
Zero popped in a small buck, he was keen to be off and jumping.
 
Heero let the crowd fade into the background, saluting the judge and focusing completely on the course ahead of him. The bell rang and he turned Zero for the first fence.
 
Watching his lover salute the judge then collect Zero up, Duo subconsciously crossed himself and sent a silent prayer that his lover and horse would remain safe. The bell rang and Heero began his course. The calm look on the man's face hid what Duo could see beneath the surface from Heero's body language. His lover was determined, his natural grace and way of riding coming to the fore as he seemed to melt into his horse and become one with Zero.
 
The cross bar was cleared with ease, Zero giving a whisk of his tail and a grunt of contempt as if to say; 'Is this the best you can give me by way of a jump?'
 
“Steady, Zero. The big ones are yet to come and you're going to need everything you have to clear them this time.”
 
Jumps two and three followed, Zero clearing them with inches to spare. Fence four, the off set rails, posed no problem. Zero shortening his stride and listening to his master. The double lay ahead, glistening poles that seemed to rise out of the very sawdust.
 
Heero sat down in his saddle, shortened his reins a little and drove Zero together. They flew over the first part, landed and then tackled the second part. Zero landed safely and cantered on, ears pricked and looking for the next fence.
 
“Relax a little,” Zechs said to Duo who was sitting ramrod straight in his seat, hands fidgeting in his lap and trying not to grab his braid and chew on it.
 
“Easy for you to say, it's not your partner out there,“ hissed Duo.
 
“No, it's not. My partner will be out there soon enough, but that is my friend out there,” Zechs replied.
 
“Yeah, I know. Sorry.”
 
“Nothing to be sorry for. Here, you can chew on my hair if you like.”
 
Duo slowly turned his head and gave the other vet a disbelieving look.
 
“It's clean and I don't have nits.” Zechs' face was pure innocence.
 
Duo bit his lip trying not to laugh out loud. “Thanks, but no thanks.” The teasing had been what he needed and he turned his attention back to Heero who was approaching fence six, muscles a little less rigid, although his hands had found the braid and fingers were busy pulling at the tufted end.
 
Zero steadied himself for the gate, knowing this one was a little tougher than the rest. His memory reminded him that there was a sharp turn coming up and Zero was careful to listen to his master's instructions.
 
Riding calmly, Heero kept the contact light with Zero's mouth, using just enough seat and leg to keep a steady impulsion as he lined up fence six. Beneath him he could feel Zero gathering himself together, stride shortening a fraction before the stallion's hind legs came under and propelled the body into the air. They sailed over the gate and landed safely, Heero sitting deep into his saddle and giving Zero the aids to turn. The stallion responded beautifully, sinking his weight down onto his hocks whilst remaining balanced through the turn. They came in to fence seven on the exact stride.
 
"Perfectly done," Noin stated softly, a wide smile on her lips.
 
Duo was only half listening, his heart was hammering in his chest as he watched the horse and rider clear fence seven and canter on for jump eight. The dreaded triple was still to come and despite Zero having cleared it once already, Duo couldn't help but worry that the extra height and width could be the gray's downfall. "Think kangaroo, think kangaroo," Duo recited to himself under his breath.
 
Zero was really enjoying himself now. The jumps were well within his capabilities, the adjustments not affecting him at all. He was jumping for the sheer joy of it, loving every moment and eager for more. The rustic hedge appeared before them and Zero popped over it neatly, pulling hard as he felt his master take a firm hold.
 
Knowing the triple was next, Heero checked his horse, driving the hocks right underneath Zero and retaining as much energy as possible.
 
"That's it, Zero. Bring it together," Duo mumbled to himself.
 
"Easy, Heero. Drive him right into his bridle, keep the impulsion," Noin muttered to herself.
 
"Good, keep the impulsion, wait, steady, hold it... Now! Let it go, now, Heero," Treize whispered.
 
Zero was almost cantering on the spot, the power in his hind legs building as they approached the first element of the triple. He could see the jumps ahead and fought for his head, his master's strong hands and seat holding him at bay.
 
"Steady, steady, a couple more strides," Heero said softly to the horse, his full attention on their take off point. "Now, boy!" Heero gave the horse the rein he wanted and Zero surged forward, his hind legs pushed off the ground sending his body soaring through the air and landing on the other side. Immediately Heero's legs were on him, hands checking as he drove the stallion back together. Two strides and they were once again airborne. Fore hooves bit deep into the sawdust as Zero landed, his hind end coming down a fraction later and then pushing himself forth. Powerful muscles strained with the effort as the third and most difficult part of the triple rose in front of them and Zero flew into the air yet again.
 
Duo closed his eyes, Treize began to bite his nails while Zechs found himself doing a Duo and chewing on his hair. Noin was almost white with the tension while Zoe remained calm, her eyes never leaving the pair in the ring.
 
"Woot! Go Heero!" Zoe cheered quietly as the pair landed safe and sound.
 
"Yes! He made it," Duo exclaimed and then shut up as Heero still had the dreaded water jump to go.
 
"Good boy!" Heero told his horse and risked a moment to pat the gray neck before picking up the contact again and turning Zero towards fence ten.
 
The triple had taken a lot out of Zero and his master could sense this, so Heero took a slightly longer track to jump ten in order to give Zero as much time as possible to re-balance and get himself settled.
 
More poles stared down at them as they approached, Zero's ears cocked as he gamely leapt into the air and cleared fence ten. As soon as they landed, Heero was riding his horse together and once he had Zero exactly where he wanted, he lined up the water jump and gave Zero his head, legs on the gray's sides and pushing the horse out.
 
Lengthening his stride, Zero remembered this jump from last time. He'd gotten a hoof wet. He wasn't planning on a repeat! Gathering himself together, Zero lined up the jump, picked his take off point and launched over the water. His forelegs stretched out, reaching for the opposite end and dry land as the water passed beneath them.
 
Duo sat on the edge of his seat, eyes glued to the steward and his flag, praying and hoping the man wouldn't raise it and indicate that Zero had left a foot in the water.
 
Zero's front hooves reached for the dry end of the jump and dug in deep, his hind legs followed and he landed with a bit of a jerk, twisting slightly to keep his feet from getting wet. He really didn't like water all that much!
 
Heero had given his horse as much rein as he could, keeping his body forward and in tune with Zero's. The awkward landing jarred his arm and despite the support bandage that Duo had put on, his arm went numb, fingers and hand refusing to work properly. Gritting his teeth he tried to gather his reins, but his right hand didn't want to cooperate at all.
 
Sensing something wrong, Zero slowed a fraction, the touch on the bit in his mouth wasn't as strong as it usually was. He only hesitated for a moment though as his master's seat and legs were applied and Zero recognized the signals.
 
In the early stages of Zero's training, Heero had done a lot of work with the stallion on a loose rein, teaching the horse to obey the leg and seat commands first with the reins and bit as a last aid. Zero remembered his lessons and allowed his master's weight and leg aids tell him where to go.
 
Shifting his body weight to the right, Heero applied his legs as well, telling Zero to turn. His left hand managed to gather up the reins a bit, although they were still not even and the contact a lot less than Heero would have liked. His horse responded though, turning and heading for the wall, the last jump.
 
"Something's wrong," Duo said, his eyes straining to try and pick up on what the problem could be.
 
Immediately, Noin and Treize also narrowed in, trying to see what Duo had picked up on.
 
"His reins are too long, there's not much contact," Noin stated as her brow furrowed.
 
"Shit! His arm," Duo said with worry in his voice. He could clearly see Heero struggling with his right hand to pick up his reins.
 
"What do you mean, his arm?" Noin questioned looking at Duo.
 
"I'll explain in a moment," Duo replied as he focused totally on Heero and his horse as they bore down on the last jump.
 
"He will be okay, Duo," Treize said in a quiet voice. "Zero's a well trained horse and if I know Heero that animal has been taught to respond to Heero's seat, leg and weight and not just his reins."
 
Duo gave the rider a wan smile, knowing Treize's words were meant to make him feel a little better. His gaze returned to Heero and the imposing looking wall.
 
"Get us over this one and we're almost home, Zero," Heero said to his horse. "Just the finish flags after the wall, boy."
 
Zero cocked an ear back to listen, he sensed the pain in his master's voice, but felt the urgency through his master's weight and leg aids. With the wall looming before them, Zero knew what had to be done and fixed his sights on the jump ahead. He shortened his stride a touch, picking his take off point, gauging the height of the fence and the amount of effort he would need to put in to clear it.
 
Heero remained as still as he could, using just his seat and legs to guide his horse and sending a silent prayer that Zero would clear the jump. He felt the muscles bunch and flex as the stallion brought his hind quarters underneath and began to lift into the air. Heero went forward to follow the movement, grabbing a chunk of Zero's mane with his left hand to keep him steady.
 
Silence reigned over the arena as the gray horse rose into the air, forelegs tucked neatly beneath as he arched over the top and then stretched those legs out to take the full impact of landing. With Zero coming back to earth, Heero began to sit down in his saddle and look for the finish flags. He tried again to take up more contact with Zero's mouth and this time his right hand began to work a little and he was able to shorten his reins a bit more.
 
As the gray stallion and his rider passed between the flags a cheer went up from the crowd, people clapping and yelling with delight as one of their own completed his course.
 
"Clear round for Heero Yuy and Zero!" the commentator announced.
 
Duo was out of his seat in a flash. Once Heero had passed through those finish flags, Duo had taken off running; Noin, Treize and the rest of the group weren't far behind him.
 
Having passed through the finish flags, Heero dropped his weight into his saddle and began to pull Zero up. All around them people were cheering and clapping and Zero knew the attention was for him, that he'd been a good boy and he threw in a few dancing steps, much to the crowds amusement. Zero settled and allowed his master to slow him down and guide him to the exit.
 
Heero was over the moon that he'd managed to go clear, his excitement and happiness threatening to boil over. The feeling in his arm was returning and while it ached something fierce, it didn't pain him quite as much. As he brought Zero to a walk and entered the warm up area, he was accosted by a pair of worried violet eyes and equally excited Duo.
 
"Are you all right?" Duo asked as Heero brought the stallion to a halt beside him.
 
"I'll be okay. Jarred the arm over the water jump and it lost all feeling for a moment or two. It's coming back now though," Heero replied honestly. There wasn't any point in lying to his lover, Duo would get the truth out of him sooner or later.
 
"That's it, Heero! You're gonna get that arm looked at properly by either the medic here or a doctor." Duo was prevented from saying anything more as Noin arrived on the scene and congratulations rained down on Heero and his horse.
 
Deciding to let it slip for now and allow Heero his moment of glory, Duo shut up and took Zero's bridle, rubbing the gray on the forehead and telling him what a good boy he'd been. Zero simply wuffled and began to search the nice human for carrots. Duo knew that if Heero was in any severe pain he would let him know. Besides, Heero had worked damn hard for this and it was only fair he should get to relax and bathe in the praise. Duo concentrated on feeding the gray his much loved carrots.
 
Heero was so happy he felt he would burst. He'd done it! Finally done it and achieved a clear round in international competition. He smiled happily and thanked everyone for their kind wishes. After a few moments, people started to drift off for various reasons, only Noin, Treize and Duo remained with Heero.
 
"Right. What's this about your arm, Heero?" Noin asked in a tone that said she wasn't too happy.
 
Heero sighed and dismounted, Duo taking over the task of looking after Zero while Heero explained to Noin. Treize remained to back Heero up and let the team coach know what had happened several weeks ago. Noin wasn't happy that Heero hadn't told her of his injury, but there wasn't anything she could do about it now. Promising Heero that she wasn't finished with him yet, she left him to take care of his horse and returned to see how the remaining number three riders went.
 
Heero walked across to where Duo was standing, fussing over Zero and feeding the horse carrots. "I have to see the medic and report back to Noin," Heero said in a flat tone.
 
"Good. Oh, Heero... I'm so happy for you, you finally did it..." Duo quickly shut up as the emotion threatened to overwhelm him. He was worried for his lover, overjoyed that they had completed a clear round and as proud as hell of the pair of them.
 
"Let's take Zero back to the stable and make him comfortable, then we can watch the others compete and I promise to see the medic right after," Heero said quietly, understanding just how worried his partner had been.
 
Duo nodded and the pair made their way back to the stables in silence. Duo wanted to grab his partner and kiss him senseless, wanted to run his hands all over Heero to reassure himself that his lover was fine, but most of all, wanted Heero safely in his arms. Unfortunately, all that would have to wait until they got back to the privacy of their hotel.
 
Zero was checked over and brushed down. Duo rugged the gray and left him with a haynet to munch on before the pair returned towards the arena. On the way back, Duo spotted a medic and dragged a reluctant Heero over to him, quickly explaining Heero's injury and what had happened during their round of jumping. The medic checked Heero over and re strapped the arm; without proper equipment he couldn't tell if anything had moved inside. He did seem to think that what Heero had done was probably just jarred the arm to the point where one of the pins had connected with a nerve and rendered the arm temporarily useless. He advised Heero getting his own doctor to take a look once they returned home just to be on the safe side.
 
With the medical check complete, the pair hurried back to the arena just as the steward was calling for the number two riders to be ready. They slipped inside and located the rest of their group, finding seats and sitting with them. Duo let Noin know that Heero had seen a medic and what the medic had said, Noin seemingly happier knowing one of her riders was not in any immediate danger.
 
"What happened with the other competitors?" Heero asked, diverting the conversation away from himself.
 
"The Japanese rider scored four faults, as did the German. The French rider went clear though."
 
"So, we're still neck and neck with the Germans?"
 
"Yes, but anything can happen, Heero. We need to really keep our focus and pray all goes well for Zoe and Treize."
 
Heero nodded and turned his attention back to the arena and the Englishman that was jumping now.
 
The rounds by the second riders weren't anything spectacular. The English rider had four faults, the Italian eight, Swedish rider also had eight while the South African that had been eliminated in the first round came out with just four penalties. The New Zealand rider was unlucky that his horse stumbled and came into fence seven all wrong, leaving him with no other choice but to refuse and therefore score four penalties. Then it was Zoe's turn.
 
The spectators gave the woman and her game little mare a warm welcome as she rode into the ring. Duo couldn't help but think how small Periwinkle looked against the jumps; some of them seemed taller than the mare herself!
 
Saluting the judge, Zoe made her way to the start and once the bell sounded, the little mare was off, eagerness to be jumping evident in her stride.
 
The first three fences were cleared in succession, Periwinkle hopping over them easily. Zoe was quietly confident, knowing her horse's capabilities and doing her best to ride the mare into each jump so she had the best opportunity to clear it. Jumps four and five were also cleared and the mare turned for fence six.
 
Zoe was slowly increasing the horse's speed as she went around the course, careful to maintain the impulsion at the same time. Jump six was cleared and the turn to fence seven made with accuracy. Periwinkle stood back off the parallel bars and sailed right over. Jump eight posed no problem and then they were lining up for the triple.
 
Holding the mare in check, Zoe built up the impulsion as she rode towards the first of the three obstacles. The bay listened to her rider, bringing her hocks right underneath in preparation for the jumps ahead. Three strides away, Zoe let the mare go.
 
Periwinkle exploded over the first element, landed and took her two strides before soaring into the air again. She landed cleanly and with another stride was rising through the air over the third element. The mare seemed to hang in the air for a moment before landing gracefully and cantering away, her eyes bright and looking for the next jump.
 
“She's one clever little mare,” Duo said appreciatively.
 
“Game too,” Treize replied in amusement. He'd always been a supporter of Zoe's. The clever little mare showing more heart over big courses than a lot of her bigger rivals.
 
Jump ten posed no problem and now Periwinkle was galloping towards the water. The bay shot into the air as if on wings and cleared the water easily. All that remained between them and a clear round was the wall.
 
As the pair approached the wall, all Duo could see were the tips of Periwinkle's ears over the top row of bricks and he was amazed as the mare launched herself into the air and cleared the wall.
 
Duo clapped and cheered just as loudly as everyone else, his admiration for the female of both species having risen several notches. With Zoe's clear round confirmed by the commentator, it was once more the mad scramble outside to congratulate the pair.
 
Zechs remained behind inside the arena to see how the Japanese and German riders fared, joining the group several minutes later with the news that the Japanese rider had collected four faults and the German had gone clear. The French rider exited the arena with the commentator announcing eight faults.
 
* * *
 
Treize rode Goose around, trying to settle his nerves and concentrate on the course he would soon be jumping. The South African number one was currently jumping and he would be followed by the New Zealander; Treize would after the Kiwi. Noin had done a quick score add up once the Swedish rider had finished on four faults and informed her team that they were currently sitting neck and neck with the Germans for first place.
 
If they were to have any chance of winning this cup, Treize had to go clear.
 
“Treize Kushrenada?” the steward called out and as Treize rode up he continued, “Stay here please, you're next.”
 
Duck and Joe stood off to the side, the mini pony trying to nose around the wood chip area for anything edible while Joe tried to stop him. Treize smiled and patted the bay neck before him. “This is a tough one, Goose. We have to go clear if we want any chance at winning.”
 
Goose cocked an ear back and nodded his head as if understanding his master's words. He lifted a forefoot and pawed impatiently at the ground. The Kiwi exited and Treize found himself riding once more into the arena and determined to give this his very best shot. The cheers from the crowd rang in his ears and his determination firmed. Saluting the judge, Treize pushed Goose into a steady canter and sat deep into his saddle, collecting the stallion together and waiting for the bell to ring. It did and they were off.
 
The cross bar, straight rails and first spread were all cleared in succession, Goose having no problem with the extra height. Jump four, the off set rails were also cleared and Treize looked for the double. He brought Goose around and steadied the stallion, Goose listening and responding perfectly. The big bay stood well off the first element and cleared it, landing and gathering himself together for the second part which was also cleared. From there it was on to fence six, the gate.
 
Goose soared over the gate, landed, took four strides and began to turn. Ahead the parallel bars appeared and Goose cocked his ears, tugging at the reins. Treize sat down hard and brought the stallion back to hand, only giving the rein to the animal when they were three strides away. Landing over the parallel bars, Goose tossed in a small buck, he was enjoying himself and wanted to express his feelings. A murmur of laughter rippled through the crowd at the bay's antics.
 
"So far, so good," Heero said softly.
 
"I don't think I can watch," Zechs said as Treize cleared jump eight and began to head for the triple.
 
"Well, you're not going to chew on my hair," Duo teased. "You've got enough of your own. 'Sides, I think I'm starting to get split ends."
 
Zechs opted to ignore Duo and began to bite his fingernails instead, much to Duo's amusement.
 
Treize steadied the bay, driving the energy back into those powerful hind quarters. He was fully aware of the mistake he'd made in his first round, letting Goose run out of impulsion and he was determined not to make the same mistake this time. He sat down hard, using everything he had to drive the bay together. Goose fought for his head, the muscles in his rump straining as his stride shortened and he became almost like a coiled spring.
 
Keeping his horse in check, Treize slowly approached the triple, concentration firmly on the jump ahead and giving his horse every opportunity to clear the jump. In the crowd watching, people were holding their breath and praying to whatever gods were listening.
 
Seeing his take off point, Treize sat down hard, gave the bay his head and drove his legs against the horse's sides. Goose leapt forward, eager to jump. Hocks came well under, pushing the big horse into the air, Goose rising up and clearing the first element.
 
"Oh god, I think I'm having a heart attack," Zechs moaned.
 
"Well, could you do it a little more quietly, some of us are trying to watch here," Duo muttered back.
 
Goose landed, Treize drew rein and applied the leg, the bay's hind quarters coming back underneath him and finding the energy needed to propel himself into the air again and over the second element. Forelegs tucked neatly under his body, Goose arched over the second element and then landed safely. Immediately Treize was there, his seat and leg driving Goose together and giving the bay the energy he needed. One stride and they were airborne again, muscles straining as Goose pushed himself to the limits.
 
"Tell me when it's over," Zechs moaned.
 
"There, there, it will all be over soon," Duo soothed, his hand patting Zechs on the arm in a comforting gesture.
 
Heero couldn't help the snicker.
 
Zoe was almost wetting herself in her seat with the excitement and Noin appeared to have everything crossed that one could possibly cross, except her eyes as she watched Treize and Goose jumping the third element of the triple.
 
Hooves bit down into the arena surface as Goose landed, pushing his hind end under him and cantering away from the jump. Treize couldn't help the sigh of relief and following grin.
 
"Good, boy," he murmured and patted the bay neck. Concentration once again on the course, Treize turned and rode towards fence ten. Goose hopped neatly over ten and then let fly as Treize urged him on to the water. They jumped into the air, Goose seeming to flatten out and become a bay missile as they shot over the water and landed cleanly on the other side.
 
"Just one to go, Zechs, then we can find you a nice, quiet nursing home to go to and recover," Duo teased.
 
"I think a hospital would be a better choice," Zechs moaned. "I'm sure my heart is giving out."
 
"One to go" Noin said. "Steady, Treize, don't let it all go now. You're nearly home."
 
Treize shortened his reins and drove Goose together, sighting the wall and riding his horse towards it. Goose responded, large strides eating up the ground as he measured the size of the jump and picked his take off point. Seconds later they were flying through the finish flags and the crowd was going wild.
 
"Clear round!"
 
* * *
 
All teams had completed their courses and were now waiting around for their respective team coaches to return from the stewards' room where they'd all gone to advise the stewards of which score they would be dropping from their team in the second round. Then it was up to the stewards to work out the final scores and thus the placings.
 
Duo was chewing his fingernails, Heero picked at the strapping on his arm. Treize was talking quietly with Zechs and Zoe, Joe was brushing down Tall Geese. Alex was trying to keep the mood light but they all knew it wasn't working. Until Noin came back with the results they were all on edge. Even doing the math in their heads, they couldn't be sure what the final result was going to be. Heero thought they would be in the top three, Treize hopeful for first while Zoe thought they were probably first or second.
 
The figure of Noin appeared and her face was neutral, not giving anything away. Immediately the team spotted her they bombarded her with questions. Noin put up her hands in defense.
 
"Quiet everyone. We have to go down to the main arena where the announcement will be made. I'm not allowed to say anything until then."
 
Grumbling about the unfairness, the team and grooms all filed along behind Noin, Heading for the arena. When they got there they milled around with the other teams, all of them in the same boat. The public address system crackled into life and everyone went quiet.
 
"Ladies and Gentlemen, the results of the Nations Cup show jumping competition. In fourth place, with a two round combined score of sixteen penalties; New Zealand!"
 
The roar went up from the crowd.
 
"In third place, with a combined overall score of twelve penalties; England."
 
Again the crowd cheered and the English team began to congratulate each other.
 
"Now, we seem to have a bit of a problem, Ladies and gentlemen. It would appear we have a tie for first place. With a total, overall combined score of four penalties the German team and the Australian team have tied for first. This means we will be having a jump off!"
 
The crowd roared its approval. Once the noise had died down enough, the commentator continued.
 
"The respective coaches of the two tied nations have been asked to select one of their team members to jump off against the clock over a shortened course. We will let you know in just a moment who those two riders will be."
 
All eyes from the Australian team turned to Noin.
 
"We tied for first?" Heero said, the joy evident in his voice.
 
"That's great!" Zoe was dancing on the spot.
 
"Who is going to be the rider to jump off?" Duo asked Noin. The rest of the team fell silent as they waited for the coach to let them know who would be competing in the jump off against Germany.
 
"It hasn't been an easy decision, but I've made my choice."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...