Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 61 ( Chapter 61 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 61
 
"It hasn't been an easy decision, but I've made my choice."
 
Three riders and several grooms looked expectantly at the woman.
 
"I've decided that our rider to jump off will be Treize."
 
For a moment there was silence, each rider and groom letting the words sink in as various emotions passed through them.
 
"The reasons for my decision are: Zoe, although you've competed in international competition before, I think the pressure will be too much and Periwinkle has done enough. She's already completed one speed event as well as two rounds of cup competition. Those are very big fences out there and I don't want a good horse ruined through over jumping. Heero..."
 
Heero turned to look at the coach, he had a pretty good idea of why he hadn't been selected and in one way was grateful.
 
"Both you and Zero would be fine in this sort of jump off when you've both had a little more experience in international competition. Your arm and the injury to it has decided for you though. I'm not going to put either you or your horse at risk. You have nothing to be ashamed of, under the circumstances you've done exceptionally well."
 
"Thank you," Heero replied. He knew his arm would be the deciding factor in his case and he held no malice towards the woman for passing over him. She needed to make a tough decision, one that would give the team the best chance and as far as Heero was concerned, Treize was the best person for the job.
 
"I've chosen you, Treize, mainly because of the experience you have; also with Goose being a stallion he's got a little more stamina than Periwinkle. Goose is a damn fine horse and you're a good rider. Does anyone have any questions?"
 
No one did, all understanding, respecting and agreeing with Noin's decision.
 
"Right. Treize, I suggest you leave your groom to get your horse ready while we head back to the arena. They're figuring out what the jump off course is going to be and will let us know shortly. The heights won't change, neither will the width of the jumps, but I'm betting they will include the triple in the shortened course. Once it's announced we will need to walk it."
 
"Oh crap. I don't think I'm going to survive this," Zechs muttered. "It was bad enough watching the last round, but now I've got to sit through it all again?! Geeze, I could sure use a stiff scotch right now."
 
Duo looked at the other vet and snickered. "Welcome to the world of competition, Zechs."
 
Zechs opted to simply groan. If he was feeling this nervous he could not begin to imagine how Treize was feeling.
 
"Knew I should have packed the Valium," Duo said with a grin.
 
"I think I'm going to go find the gents and be quietly sick," Zechs huffed and walked off.
 
"You really shouldn't tease him like that, Duo," Heero said with a slight smile.
 
"I know, but I can't help it," Duo returned. "Don't worry, I promise not to tease him through the jump off, in fact, I'll even hold his hand and whisper reassurances in his ear if you like?"
 
Heero's eyes narrowed a fraction and he moved close enough to whisper in Duo's ear. "Just as long as you behave yourself and remember that it's my bed you sleep in. Which reminds me; I think you have a promise to keep tonight."
 
"Ohh, yeah. Don't you worry, Heero. I made a promise and I'm not about to break it." Duo gave his lover a soft smile and licked his lips. "I'm going to see if Joe needs a hand with Goose."
 
Joe accepted Duo's offer of help and the pair soon had Goose saddled up and ready to go. Joe led the big bay out of his stable and towards the collecting ring area, Duo followed behind with Duck and Heero. Zechs caught them up and tagged along too. Once they were in the collection ring area there was nothing to do but wait for Treize and Noin to return and find out what the course would be.
 
* * *
 
Noin and Treize returned to the arena, both locked in their own thoughts. Treize was honored that he had been chosen and was determined to do his best. Reaching the arena, Noin left Treize for a moment to confirm with the officials that Treize would be the rider representing Australia in the jump off. By the time she had returned, the course designer had finished his check of the shorter course that would be used for the jump off and advised the officials that the two opposing countries could now walk the course.
 
Approaching the chief steward, Noin and the German coach were given slips of paper with the jump off course written on them. Noin took a quick look and then passed the paper to Treize.
 
Treize scanned the paper. "Shit! That's one tough jump off," he remarked.
 
"I agree,“ replied Noin. "Come on, we can walk it now and that will give us a better idea of turns, angles, line and track."
 
Treize followed the coach into the arena, the noise level quite high as the spectators all discussed amongst themselves various topics of conversation. Treize looked at the paper again. The jumps selected for the jump off were: One, two, five A, five B, seven, nine A, nine B, nine C, eleven and twelve. Yes, it was going to be a difficult course.
 
"The best place to try and save time will be from fences five B to seven," Noin said as she walked the course with Treize. "You can cut on the inside of fence six and save seconds, but you will need to have Goose listening to you completely to make the turn successfully."
 
"Makes sense," Treize murmured as his eyes followed an imaginary line from jump five B to seven. It wouldn't be an easy turn to pull off, but if one could, it would save time. The rest of the course didn't offer much of an opportunity to cut corners and save seconds. As Noin pointed out, one could try to gain a little ground from seven to nine A but given the height and width of the three elements comprising jump nine, it would be a very big risk. Treize decided against that; he'd take a little longer track and ensure his horse had every chance to keep impulsion and clear the hated triple.
 
They walked the course a couple more times, Treize setting out his line and track in his head. He noted the Germans had selected Herrman Schultz to represent them. It didn't surprise Treize, Herrman was by far the German's best rider so it made perfect sense. Treize also knew he would be a hard man to beat. With the course firmly lodged in his mind, Treize left the arena with Noin and returned to the rest of the team waiting outside.
 
"What's the jump off course like?"
 
"Any idea who you're riding against?"
 
"I'll bet they left the triple in."
 
The questions hit the pair as they met up with everyone. "Whoa! Hold on, everyone," Noin said as she raised her hands. Everyone immediately shut up. "Thank you. Now, in answer to your questions..." Noin filled the rest of the group in on the course, plan of attack and who the opposing rider was. Zoe groaned in sympathy when she heard the triple was still in, Heero frowned at Herrman's name while Zechs simply looked stunned by it all.
 
Leaving Noin to answer the questions, Treize walked over to Joe and Goose, patting the big bay gently and rubbing the stallion's muzzle. Goose responded by pushing his nose deeper into Treize's hand.
 
"What's it like, boss?" Joe asked.
 
"It's going to be tough, Joe. Goose is capable of pulling it off just as long as we keep our concentration and I manage to keep Goose full of impulsion," Treize replied as he checked his girth and tightened it a couple of holes.
 
"You'll do fine," Joe said with a reassuring smile. "Goose is a good horse and he's raring to go."
 
"Thanks, Joe." Treize pulled the stirrups down and prepared to mount, Joe holding the bay's bit.
 
With the questions all answered for now, the team all came over to wish Treize good luck. Treize would be jumping first as they were following the draw of the countries. Several other competitors from the different nations came over to wish Treize good luck as well much to Zechs' surprise.
 
"Funny thing the world of the equestrian sport," Duo said from where he was standing, still holding Duck beside Zechs. "You wouldn't think the opposition would want to give you the time of day given that you're competing against each other, and yet here they are, all offering good wishes."
 
Zechs gave a soft smile. "It's nice to know that sportsmanship is still alive and well." His eyes were trained on his lover, watching the man graciously accepting the well wishes whilst keeping his mind focused on the job ahead.
 
Noin called for them all to go into the arena and find seating as the jump off would be starting shortly. Duo handed Duck over to Joe and with Heero, went to pass on his own good wishes to Treize. "Good luck, Treize. I know you can do it,“ Duo said as he patted the bay stallion's neck.
 
"Thanks, Duo. I'll certainly be trying my best."
 
"Go for it, Treize," Heero said quietly. "Noin's picked the right person for this; if anyone can do it, you can."
 
Treize blushed a little at the praise. "Don't count your chickens, Heero," he warned. "I'll do the best I can."
 
With a nod, Heero turned and with a pointed look at Duo, left Treize alone with Zechs.
 
Zechs stepped up beside the bay horse and looked into his lover's eyes. "Be careful, don't take unnecessary risks." Zechs placed his hand on Treize's knee and squeezed lightly.
 
“I'll try,” Treize replied. The ginger haired man gazed down into the sapphire eyes of his partner. “Thank you,” he said softly.
 
The blonde raised an eyebrow. “You're thanking me? For what?”
 
“For giving me support, for making the trip here, for simply being you.”
 
Zechs felt his cheeks flush. “I wish I could kiss you right now.”
 
“So do I. I'll take a rain check for now though.”
 
“Done. Good luck, stay safe.” Zechs gave one last squeeze to Treize's knee and turned, catching up with Duo and Heero to go and watch the final jump off. His heart pounded in his chest and butterflies had taken up residence in his stomach. Maybe that Valium Duo had mentioned earlier wasn't such a bad idea!
 
Treize shortened his reins and gave Goose the aid to walk, the bay responded and Treize guided the stallion away from the crowd to warm up.
 
* * *
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, the jump off course for the Nations cup will be: Fences one, two, five A, five B, seven, nine A, nine B, nine C, eleven and twelve. The winner will be the Nation whose rider completes the course in the fastest time with the least penalties. The two representatives will be...”
 
The silence inside the arena was almost suffocating as the spectators all waited for the much anticipated announcement.
 
“Representing Australia; Treize Kushrenada riding Tall Geese.”
 
The crowd erupted into cheers, whistles and shouts. It took a few moments for the noise to die down enough for the commentator to be heard.
 
“Representing Germany; Herrman Schultz riding Shadow.” Again the crowd began to cheer and clap, the commentator having to try three times before the noise lessened and he was able to continue. “The first rider in the jump off will be Treize Kushrenada.”
 
The clapping and cheering resumed as a very determined looking Treize rode into the arena. He gave a nod towards the crowd and then proceeded towards the judge's box, the crowd fell into silence as Treize saluted and then gathered his horse together ready to start his round.
 
The bell went and Goose bounded forward through the start flags and headed for the first jump.
 
“Steady,” Treize muttered as he took a firmer hold on his reins. He wanted to start off at a steady pace and build the speed as he went. It was vital he kept the impulsion throughout though and he could only do that if Goose was listening to him and not going too fast.
 
Goose slowed his pace a fraction and gathered himself together. He could feel something slightly different with his master, sense it and knew he needed to listen. The first jump appeared before them and Goose sailed over it.
 
Heero gave a small smile as he watched his teacher and mentor begin his round. He could see the concentration, note the determination and could only admire Treize for his skill.
 
“How's he doing? Isn't he going a little slow if this is against the clock?” Zechs whispered as his eyes stayed glued on his partner.
 
“He's doing fine, Zechs,” Duo replied.
 
“He's not really going slow, he's starting out steady and if I know Treize he will increase his speed and impulsion as he goes around, hopefully he will have enough to clear the triple by the time he gets to it,” Heero said quietly.
 
“Ah, okay.” Zechs went quiet and began to gnaw on his thumbnail.
 
Having cleared fence one, Treize and Goose were rapidly approaching jump two. The electronic clock ticked away the seconds as the horse and rider closed in on the second jump. Goose gathered himself together and flew into the air, landing neatly on the other side. Treize sat down in his saddle and shortened his reins, legs applied themselves to the horse's sides and Goose responded by drawing his hind quarters underneath him and shortening his stride whilst building the impulsion.
 
Treize had calculated he could shave off a few seconds if he could turn Goose quickly and take the track to fence five by passing on the inside of the water jump and not the outside which was longer. It would be a calculated risk, but one he was confident his horse could pull off.
 
Goose felt the aid to turn and pivoted neatly on his hind legs, turning and passing the water jump. Treize glanced over his shoulder to see exactly where fence five was and where he would need to turn to bring Goose into it properly. Picking his point, Treize turned the stallion again and began their approach to the double.
 
"Clever cookie," Heero muttered.
 
"How so?" Zechs asked. Zechs figured if he was going to attend shows with Treize like Duo did it would be to his benefit to learn more about the sport and the only way to do that was to ask questions.
 
"By cutting on the inside he's saved a few seconds in time. To go around the outside and pass between jumps eleven and three would take more time, even though the horse would have a better chance at building impulsion. Goose is a seasoned horse and more than capable of making tight turns and still retain impulsion."
 
"Ah. I get it," Zechs replied as he followed Heero's explanation and the finger that traced the imaginary line to back up the words.
 
"Easy, Goose," Treize soothed as the bay fought for his head. The first element of the double lay ahead, poles seeming to form a never ending barrier as they rose ever upward. Goose pricked his ears and steadied his pace. Three strides away, Treize let him go, the bay bounding forward and soaring into the air over the first element. They landed and Treize applied his legs, Goose responding and gathering himself together for the second element.
 
Treize knew that he didn't have much in the way of time or distance to get his horse back together once they landed and so as soon as Goose's forelegs touched the ground, Treize was sitting deep and shortening his reins.
 
"This is the tough one," Heero said.
 
Both Zechs and Duo turned to look at him, Zechs removing the abused thumbnail he'd been gnawing on from his mouth.
 
"He's going to need to have Goose's complete attention to make the turn and clear jump seven. Trust me, this is where it's going to be won or lost."
 
"Crap. I'm getting too old for this," Zechs muttered.
 
Duo gave the other vet a soft look and gently took his hand, patting it reassuringly. "It's okay, Zechs. It's quite normal to be this nervous when your partner is out there, risking everything for the honor of his nation. If you like I can see if the medics have a walking frame you can borrow, or maybe a wheelchair? Some oxygen might be a good idea too."
 
Heero gave a soft snort of amusement, Zechs looked completely stunned for a moment and then his brain kick started. "Walking frame? Oxygen?" he hissed.
 
Duo looked calmly at him. "Only trying to help. You did say you were getting too old. Come to think of it, I think I can see a few gray hairs starting..." Duo went to touch Zechs' hair as if pointing out said gray hairs only to have his hand batted away.
 
"I'll have you know I'm not going gray, I'm still capable of walking and I'm only a couple of years older than you!"
 
"Ahh, but having a partner competing in nerve wracking sports such as show jumping certainly makes you age a lot quicker," Duo teased.
 
Zechs caught the glint in Duo's eye and knew the other man was simply stirring him up. "If that's true then you should be bed ridden by now," he quipped.
 
Heero almost choked on his laughter with the look on Duo's face as the blonde returned fire with his own teasing. Duo looked stunned and lost for words for a moment, but then the demeanor changed and Heero knew Duo was about to come back with an equally witty remark.
 
"Ohh, how did you know I like to be ridden in bed? You been peeking, Zechs?"
 
It was Zechs' turn to look stunned, the blonde vet's face changing colors rapidly until he was a bright red. Eventually he managed to get his voice to work. "Touché," he conceded.
 
Feeling now would be an appropriate time to intervene and distract the pair from their bantering before things got even more embarrassing for Zechs, and himself too, Heero changed the topic. "Quiet, guys, Treize is about to come into jump seven."
 
The pair promptly put their verbal sparring on hold and turned to watch.
 
Goose landed over part B, felt the aids from his master and followed through with his body. Hind legs came under, pushing the bay forward for two strides and then sank deep into the ground's surface to turn. Fore legs swung around as Goose almost performed a pirouette on the spot, spinning around and then pushing himself forward again, muscles straining as the horse drove his body forward and passed between fences six and seven.
 
Treize kept one eye on jump seven and the other ahead to the point he'd picked to make his second turn and bring Goose into the parallel bars. They reached that point and again Treize sat deep, asking his horse to turn. Goose responded, once more bringing his hind quarters right underneath and pivoting around. With the turn complete, Treize concentrated on bringing Goose in on the correct line, steadying and pushing the stallion together.
 
Hands held the horse in check until three strides away when Treize gave Goose his head and drove his legs against the bay's sides, urging the horse forward. Goose took his three strides and then launched himself into the air, front legs folding underneath as the hind end stretched out behind. The poles passed underneath and then Goose was reaching out with those front legs to take the impact of landing.
 
"Beautifully done," Noin commented, continuing to watch the pair, her heart in her mouth as she willed them both on.
 
Heero was sweating, his hands curled into fists; body subconsciously following and mimicking Treize's movements as if he were riding the bay himself.
 
Zechs had gone paler and replaced chewing on his abused thumbnail with the edge of his jacket. Duo had resumed pulling at the tufted end of his braid, the tension really starting to build. Even though it wasn't Heero out there, Duo could still feel nervous for Treize and only pray and hope the rider would come through with a good time, clear round and both his horse and himself intact.
 
"Now for the nasty one, Goose," Treize murmured. "We cleared it before, we can do it again, just listen to me."
 
Goose cocked an ear back, his body thrumming with the excitement of jumping.
 
Treize guided the stallion past jump eight, sitting down into his saddle and collecting the horse as he did so. Goose began to shorten his stride and build the impulsion he would need. Picking his spot Treize turned and lined up the triple ahead. The clock ticked away the seconds, the spectators all silent and holding their breath as the rider and his horse prepared for the jump ahead.
 
Goose shortened his stride even more, cantering practically on the spot as Treize inched him forward, steadily building the energy until he reached the point where Goose was all but ready to explode underneath him. Letting the reins slip a little through his fingers, Treize applied his legs and rode the stallion forward, Goose bounding up to the first element and lifting into the air.
 
Zechs closed his eyes and grabbed Duo's arm. "I can't watch," he groaned.
 
"There, there," Duo soothed.
 
Heero was on the edge of his seat, fidgeting as he watched the horse and rider clear the first element, beside him Zoe grabbed Carol's arm, the two women hoping and praying Treize would go clear. Noin sat with her eyes never leaving the rider, her heart was hammering in her chest, willing the pair along.
 
Goose landed and took two strides before launching into the air again, powerful hind legs pushing the body up and over the sea of poles. Treize followed the movement of his horse, hands going forward and giving the horse his head while Treize's body seemed to melt into Goose's, the pair becoming one with each other. They landed, Treize applying the leg and riding the stallion on. Muscles bunched and strained, Goose grunted as he pushed off from the ground once more, soaring high into the air and reaching for the width of the last element. Treize sat still in his saddle, trying not to interfere with the horse in any way, simply following with his body and preparing for the landing.
 
The stallion let his forelegs come through and bite into the sawdust, hind hooves following and pushing him away from the jump. A ripple of applause went up from the crowd but Treize didn't hear it, his attention was focused on collecting his horse together and turning to head for jump eleven. Having gathered up his reins and he brought Goose back a little, setting his sights on the water jump and pushing the stallion forward. Spotting the water ahead, Goose flicked his tail and lengthened out his stride, almost galloping towards the aquatic spread. He flew into the air, like a bullet from a gun and sailed over the water jump. He landed on the opposite side with a couple of feet to spare.
 
"Shit!" Duo said and whistled though his teeth. "He's sure got some stretch on him."
 
Zechs simply watched, he was feeling sick again and knew he wouldn't feel any differently until his lover had finished the course and was safely in his arms.
 
Having cleared the water successfully there only remained the wall to go. Treize checked his horse and brought Goose back to a more controlled pace, the bay listening and eager to jump. They made a right hand turn and Goose lined up the wall ahead. The stallion pulled hard against Treize, the rider using all his skill to prevent Goose from rushing the jump, knowing if he let the horse go it would spell disaster for them both. Keeping a tight rein, Treize allowed the bay to close the distance, steadily building momentum and then unleashing the power to soar high into the air and clear the wall with little effort. Goose landed safely and immediately Treize rode him hard to the finish flags, the stallion flattening out and galloping as if the devil were on his heels.
 
They flashed through and the electronic timer stopped; all eyes turned to the glowing, red digits.
 
The time blinked back at them. 38:43
 
A roar went up from the crowd, cheering and clapping wildly as the rider in the arena slowed his horse and lavished pats to the bay neck.
 
"Yes! Way to go, Treize!" Heero shouted, echoing the thoughts of the rest of the team.
 
Zoe was bouncing in her seat, excitement written into every line of her body. "That was fantastic!" she enthused.
 
Alex, Charlie and Carol were similarly expressing their excitement while Zechs had slumped in his seat, shoulders sagging as relief swept through him leaving him emotionally drained. Duo had put an arm around his shoulders and simply grinned at the exhausted blonde.
 
"Not easy to be the support crew, is it?" Duo snickered.
 
"You got that right," Zechs returned wearily.
 
"Good boy, Goose. Good boy." Treize managed a wave to the crowd as he exited the ring and the German rode in.
 
"Clear round in a time of 38:43," the commentator announced. "Now we have Herrman Schultz from Germany. Can he also go clear and beat the time set by Treize Kushrenada?"
 
In the arena the rest of the Australian team remained seated, Treize would join them in a moment to watch the German ride. Only Noin had departed, mainly to check the pair were okay, offer her congratulations and bring Treize back to where they were all sitting.
 
Herrman saluted the judge, the arena went quiet and the bell sounded. Collecting his horse, the German rode to the start flags, passed through and began his round.
 
Treize returned with Noin just as Herrman cleared the second fence. He sat down next to Zechs and discreetly bumped shoulders with his lover. "You okay?" Treize whispered.
 
"I am now," Zechs replied with a warm smile. "Congratulations, you rode magnificently."
 
"Thank you. It was all Goose though. He's a great horse."
 
"So is his rider," Zechs said softly.
 
Further congratulation were passed in whispered tones, Treize accepting them all graciously, knowing he'd done all he could and it was now up to the German to try and beat his time. The German rider was determined and it showed in his approach to the course. He was riding accurately, keeping his horse balanced and full of impulsion. It was going to be a very close contest.
 
Herrman did the same as Treize, landing over fence two and practically sitting his horse down on the spot to make the turn to bring him to fence five. The horse responded perfectly, executing an almost impossible turn, striding out and then clearing the double. Again the German showed his skill as he brought his horse almost to a halt and turned, gaining valuable time with such a turn.
 
Treize was on tenterhooks and joined Zechs and Duo in the nail biting stakes, chewing his own with nervous anticipation. Zechs swatted Treize's hand from his mouth, Duo snorted at the antics but wisely kept silent.
 
The German's horse completed his turn and strode out, long legs eating up the distance before turning again and lining up the parallel bars. The track Herrman took was slightly shorter than the one Treize had opted for, Treize deciding he'd give Goose an extra couple of strides and make sure he cleared fence seven. The German's gray turned, gathered his hind legs underneath him and sprinted towards jump seven. The crowd all held their breath.
 
"Too short," Heero murmured as he dug his fingernails into his palm, the tension becoming too much.
 
"Oh shit, that's asking an awful lot from the horse," Duo commented when he watched the horse turn and saw the short run up to the fence the rider had taken. There were roughly five strides before the horse would need to take off Duo calculated, a tough task given the height and width of the jump.
 
Herrman though seemed to have no qualms about the shortness of the lead in to the jump, he gathered his horse together and with a skill borne of years in the saddle, managed to get the gray together, balanced and rode at the jump. The gray leapt into the air, gave a twist of his hind legs and scraped over the top of the jump. The top, back pole rocked in the cups but didn't fall.
 
"Well, stuff me," Zechs commented.
 
"No thanks, I'll leave that to Treize," Duo whispered.
 
"Duo!" Heero hissed.
 
"Sorry," Duo grinned.
 
A few 'Ohhs' and 'Ahhs' passed through the spectators as they watched the gray land safely, the pole sitting secure again in its cups. If the near miss had affected the German rider, he didn't let it show, gathering his horse together and riding on to the next fence, jump nine. Treize glanced at the time and did a quick calculation in his head. It was going to be damn close if the German went clear.
 
Part A loomed ahead, Herrman bringing his horse almost to a standstill as he built the impulsion up. Suddenly the horse exploded forward, legs stretching out as the stallion hurtled towards the first element, took off and soared into the air. They landed safely, took two strides and leapt into the air again. When the gray landed, Herrman applied his leg and pushed the horse forward, the stallion responding and putting in a huge leap over part C. They cleared that too and were cantering away, the German turning and lining up the water jump. The gray flattened out, galloping towards the water and then launching himself across it. Hooves bit deep into the dirt as they landed on the opposite 'bank' and immediately the German was collecting his horse again.
 
"It's going to be tight," Heero stated as he watched the clock with one eye and the rider with the other.
 
Treize was sweating, holding his breath and while part of him was hoping the German would make a mistake, he couldn't help but admire the way the man rode.
 
Herrman wasn't about to make any mistakes though. He brought his horse together and rode at the wall, the gray bounding into the air and sailing cleanly over it. As soon as hooves touched down, Herrman was urging the animal forward, aiming for the finish flags and thus break the timing beam and stop the clock.
 
All eyes were trained on the numbers counting away on the large clock. The gray broke the beam and a cry went up from the spectators.
 
"Clear round in a time of 38:39," the commentator announced. "Ladies and gentlemen, Germany wins the Nations cup event by four hundredths of a second!"
 
Treize slumped in his seat, the adrenaline leaving his body and allowing exhaustion to take over. He'd tried, he'd given it everything he had and despite there only being four hundredths of a second between them, Treize still felt he'd let his country down. That wasn't how the rest of the team felt though, and they were quick to tell him.
 
"You did great, Treize," Heero congratulated.
 
"Excellent try, Treize," Zoe stated. "I don't think Periwinkle would have managed the time you set."
 
"Treize, you have nothing to be disappointed about, you rode an excellent round, you should be proud of your horse and yourself. The closeness of the time between you and the German rider is a testimony to how good you both are and I'm honored to have been a coach to not only such a good rider as yourself, but to an entire team of people who are hard working, dedicated and wonderful sportsmen and women. I'm proud of you all." Noin gave each of them a smile. "Well done, all of you and thank you."
 
The team members and grooms all blushed and looked suitably embarrassed at the praise from their coach.
 
"Okay, praise time over. Grand parade and presentations will be in two hours. I expect you all to be immaculately turned out, that's both your horses and yourselves. I'll meet you all in the stables in an hour and a half; that will give us enough time to check ourselves over and be present in the collecting ring for the parade. Any questions?"
 
No one had so Noin left them to their own devices, she had to present to the stewards' room for the official notification of placings. Once that was over she would need to deal with the press who would be hovering like vultures, eager to have an interview with the team coach and hopefully Treize as well. Noin was determined they wouldn't speak with Treize until after the grand parade. By that time Treize would have come to terms with his close loss and be in a much better frame of mind to talk to the reporters, not that he had anything to be ashamed of, he'd ridden magnificently as far as Noin was concerned. The German rider was one of the world's best and for Treize to finish that close spoke for itself.
 
Wandering back to the stables, everyone was still congratulating Treize and asking questions about the course, how he'd felt, what it had been like and so on. Treize was answering as honestly as he could, although he didn't really remember a whole lot of it, he'd been far too focused on finishing clear.
 
"Hey, Alex?" Zoe began. Alex turned to the woman. "How are you going to manage for the grand parade? Firefox can't be ridden so are you going to walk in on foot while the rest of us ride?"
 
"I guess so," Alex responded. It was true, Fox couldn't be ridden so Alex would have to walk.
 
"You can borrow Short Duck to ride in if you want," Treize offered.
 
The rest of the group dissolved into fits of laughter, the thought of Alex with his long legs sitting astride the mini pony too much for them to cope with.
 
Alex grinned and gave Treize a wink. "Thanks, I just might take you up on that offer."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....