Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 64 - End ( Chapter 64 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 64
 
True to his word, Trowa called the following day and gave Heero the basic run down on what the mayor had planned. He also said the mayor's office would be calling with the complete details of the ceremony they wished to conduct and to see if it would be okay with Heero.
 
Heero wasn't all that keen on the public interest in him or his horse, much preferring to remain in the safety of obscurity, but he did concede that the people of the town did deserve something from him, after all, they had stood by Duo and himself after the incident with Relena and he owed them something for the support they'd freely given.
 
The mayor's office called and Heero discussed their proposition with them. He had to admit, it didn't sound all that bad. He relayed the message to Duo, explaining that they simply wanted to have a sort of ceremony in the town square, just to welcome him back and congratulate him on his success followed by a luncheon afterwards in the council chambers with Heero as the guest of honor.
 
Duo was excited about the entire affair and told Heero in no uncertain terms that he should go, he deserved the recognition after all the effort he'd put in. Heero reluctantly agreed, but informed Duo that once the dinner was over with he intended to leave. He really didn't like big crowds, unless they were at a show, of course.
 
The welcome home ceremony was set for the coming Sunday. It would begin in the town square with a speech from the mayor. Heero would be expected to respond to the speech and once that was over there was to be an hour spent in the square with light refreshments so people could come and pass on their congratulations to Heero. From there it would be a short car ride to the council chambers where a formal luncheon would be partaken of. Once the luncheon was over, they would be free to mingle and then leave.
 
Heero began to panic as he didn't have anything he termed formal enough to wear. Duo assured Heero that slacks, shirt, tie and jacket would be formal enough and then promptly panicked himself as he suddenly realized he didn't have anything good to wear either. Catherine suggested they go to a suit hire place; Hilde suggested that Heero turn up in his riding attire and Duo in his surgical scrubs; Duo suggested Hilde spend a month cleaning out the dog kennels and doing the next drug stock take.
 
Hilde offered to pay for the suit hire.
 
Duo accepted.
 
* * *
 
"I hate this thing, it's too tight," Heero muttered for the tenth time, running his finger around the collar and tugging.
 
"I'm not exactly all that comfortable myself, Heero. At least you have more experience with wearing shirt and tie," Duo replied.
 
The pair of them were sitting in the back of a hired limousine, one that had been sent to collect them by the council. They had taken Catherine's advice and hired suits for the occasion, Quatre having accompanied them to the suit hire place and acting as fashion consultant. Quatre did have a fashion sense, even Heero had to admit that and with Quatre's guidance, they emerged with two suits that Quatre said 'would knock everyone's socks off'.
 
Duo had to admit they both looked good, Heero especially. The cut of the cloth suited his compact frame, the dark charcoal color adding to the man's brooding looks. Heero similarly thought Duo looked stunning in his suit. A slightly lighter gray than Heero's, the jacket hung perfectly on the vet's wide shoulders, the pants tapering and encasing those long legs just right. It was all Heero could do to stop himself from jumping his boyfriend.
 
"Nearly there," Duo stated as he watched the town begin to rise ahead of them. "Just remember; no fidgeting, no scratching your groin, no picking your nose and certainly no farting."
 
"I beg your pardon!?" Heero's blue eyes widened and his mouth gaped in shock.
 
Duo chuckled and gave Heero a friendly punch to the arm. "I'm just joking, Heero. Seriously, try not to look too bored and don't yawn."
 
"I'll try to keep all that in mind," Heero replied rather dryly.
 
"Looks like we're here."
 
The limo began to slow down as it approached the town square. The crowd began to thicken and people started cheering and waving.
 
"Surely they're not all here just to see me?" Heero asked as his eyes widened further.
 
"Yup. I told you, you were a popular guy, Heero. This town hasn't had anything much to celebrate over the years, but now they have something to be proud of, a local hero and they're going to celebrate and cheer you on."
 
"Well, shit!"
 
"Please don't."
 
Heero shook his head. Was there no end to his lover's sense of humor?
 
"You got your speech?"
 
"Err..." Heero did a quick pat down of his pockets, heart racing for a moment and then he located the piece of paper. "Hai. I have it right here."
 
"Good. Now, relax, kick back and enjoy yourself. This shin-dig is for you and you've earned it." Duo leaned across and straightened Heero's shirt collar and tie.
 
"Thanks."
 
The limo pulled to a stop and the chauffeur got out, stepping to the back of the car and opening the door for Heero and Duo. The rider and vet climbed out, Heero dazzled for a moment as the flashbulbs went off around them. The mayor greeted them both and led them along the path that had been roped off and to the stage.
 
Heero didn't remember much of what happened. The ceremony was brief, the mayor thanking everyone for turning out to greet Heero and giving a small speech relating to Heero and his rise to success. Heero wondered where he'd gotten the information from and gave Duo a suspicious look. Duo gazed innocently back at him. Congratulations were offered, the mayor again paying tribute to the hard work Heero had put in to get so far.
 
Once the mayor's speech had finished and the cheers from the crowd quieted, Heero took the center stage and began his speech. It was short, concise and to the point. Thanking the people for their support and well wishes. He also paid tribute to Duo, the vet who without the dedicated attention he'd paid to Heero's horse wouldn't have seen them where they were today. He thanked the mayor for his kind words and then finished by stating his next goal would be the Olympics and he hoped the people would still be behind him and support him in his endeavor to attain that goal.
 
Once more the cheers and clapping were loud and long. With the 'formal' part of the ceremony over with, Heero and Duo mingled amongst the crowd, chatting with different people. Heero was repeatedly asked for his autograph and showered with gifts for himself and Zero. One little girl shyly gave Heero a picture she'd drawn of Zero. Heero was touched. Most of the gifts were for Zero though and Heero soon found himself with his arms full of carrots, apples and sugar cubes.
 
"Need a hand with that lot?" Duo chuckled as he sidled alongside Heero.
 
"If you don't mind," Heero sighed.
 
Duo produced a couple of plastic bags from somewhere and Heero gratefully dropped the gifts into the bags, only to have his arms filled again within another ten minutes. Eventually the mayor called a halt to the proceedings and with a wave of good-bye to the crowd, Heero and Duo got into the limo once again and headed for the council chambers and the luncheon.
 
The food was nice, the décor simple and service excellent. Heero, despite his misgivings, enjoyed himself. He chatted amicably with several of the councilors, Duo doing the same and before he knew it, the luncheon was winding down. The time had passed quickly and with several handshakes, Duo and Heero departed, the limo taking them back to Duo's practice and dropping them off.
 
Watching the limo disappear, both men turned to the house and Duo unlocked the door, letting them both inside and dumping the bags of goodies onto the floor. Removing his jacket, Duo draped it across the back of a kitchen chair and toed off his shoes. The tie was next to be removed and the shirt buttons undone.
 
"That feels much better," Duo commented and picked up the bags, placing them on the table and emptying out the contents. "I think you're gonna have to ration this lot," Duo snickered as he eyed the various treats.
 
Heero stared at the pile of goodies. "I think so,“ he replied. "What the hell is that?" Heero poked at a suspicious looking item.
 
"Oh, that? The girl that gave it to me said it was an apple and carrot pie she'd baked especially for Zero."
 
"Doesn't look like a pie to me."
 
"It got a bit squashed by the looks of it. I'd say it ended up in the bottom of the bag with the apples on top of it," Duo replied as he poked the flattened mass.
 
"Hn. I'm not too sure I want Zero to have that."
 
"Must admit, I'd be a bit wary myself."
 
"Fuck! Have you seen the number of sugar cubes? If Zero eats all those he'll become diabetic!"
 
"Good thing he doesn't like sugar then," Duo chuckled.
 
"But Scythe does."
 
"Point noted."
 
"I'd say give the sugar to Scythe, only not all at once, we don't need her bouncing off the paddock fences on a sugar high."
 
Duo laughed at the mental image of Scythe 'pinging' off the paddock fences. "I agree. Just a couple a day will be plenty for her."
 
"Zero can have the carrots and apples rationed too."
 
"There's certainly a lot of them."
 
"Hai. I think it would be best to cut the apples up and put in his feed, that way we won't get all slobbered on when he eats them."
 
"I like your way of thinking."
 
The pair soon had all the treats sorted out. Apples in one pile, carrots and sugar cubes in another two piles.
 
"I'll take them down to the feed shed after. Right now I need to get out of this monkey suit." Heero stood and went through to the bedroom to change, Duo remained in the kitchen and put the kettle on to boil.
 
* * *
Over the course of the next few weeks, life at the Maxwell Veterinary Practice began to return to normal. Duo gave Hilde a few days off in thanks for her running the practice whilst they had been in Sydney. Catherine also scored a few days vacation, Heero taking over the reception area as he wasn't allowed to return to Treize's for two weeks under doctor's orders.
 
Duo had made an appointment for Heero to see Sally Po, Duo's doctor and get his arm checked out. The doctor had sent him for x-rays and an ultrasound scan, comparing them with the original films from before and after Heero's fall. It was as the medic assumed. The strain and jarring had caused a pin inside Heero's arm to move a little. Not enough to cause any problem with the bone healing, but enough to bruise the tissues around it and cause Heero discomfort.
 
Sally had ordered two weeks rest from riding and insisted Hero take the time to let his injured arm heal otherwise she wouldn't give him the medical certificate clearance he needed to be able to compete in shows.
 
Heero hadn't been happy, but conceded the point.
 
Once his arm had healed up and Sally had given him the necessary paperwork to declare him fit to ride and compete again, Heero wasted no time in getting back into things. Zero was turned out to enjoy a couple of months well earned rest and this gave Heero the chance to start work on Shini again. The colt hadn't forgotten much, Heero giving him a refresher course and pleased with the way Shini responded. After a few days he was able to get on the colt's back again and began the task of teaching the youngster the basic aids for walk and halt.
 
Duo was back in the familiar routine of the practice, sharing the shifts and surgery with Hilde. Alex had called and let him know that Firefox had made a full recovery and would be back out competing again once the new season started. Duo was very pleased to hear that and passed the news on to Zechs.
 
The client database had increased and Duo was very pleased to see his bank account growing at a steady rate. With the way the funds were multiplying, Duo began to lay plans to expand the surgery and discussed the purchase of new equipment with Heero.
 
A much longed for ultrasound machine was purchased, the x-ray equipment updated and even Nrobbuts was given an upgrade, not that Duo particularly cared much for the demonic computer. Both Catherine and Heero insisted the upgraded version was even easier to use and Duo was reluctantly persuaded to give it a try.
 
It still ate the files.
 
Duo was tempted to give it a power surge and fry its circuits. Instead he settled on rechristening it 'Natas nwaps'.
 
When Heero and Catherine had scratched their heads and looked completely stumped, Duo explained. "Natas nwaps: Satan spawn." He then promptly left the reception area vowing never to touch the evil thing again unless it was with the humane killer.
 
* * *
 
Heero returned to work at Treize's stable. There were several more youngsters ready to begin their careers and Heero found himself with three new horses to school. A big brown called Altron, another chestnut, Aries and a bay called Lionheart or Leo for short. Leo and Altron showed potential for being good international prospects while Aries had the capability of becoming a top speed horse.
 
Treize was still working Goose and bringing on the big bay he'd purchased a little while ago. Treize had finally named the three year old; Romefeller, or Romeo for short. Heero thought it suited the rangy bay as he certainly liked the ladies!
 
Finishing work a little earlier than usual one day, Heero returned home to find Duo sitting in the lounge room looking totally bored. It was Duo's day off and he'd cleaned the house, done the washing, mowed the lawn and then run out of things to occupy himself with. Heero suggested they go for a ride.
 
"It's lovely out here, Heero," Duo stated as they walked side by side down a bush track. Scythe plodded happily beneath him and Duo relaxed into the swinging gait.
 
"It's peaceful," Heero replied, his reins loose, Zero stretching his neck out and walking quietly.
 
The sounds of birds accompanied them, the sunlight filtering through the canopy of leaves as the shaded track continued on. Picking up his reins, Heero urged Zero into a trot, Duo following along. The track widened out into a long stretch of sand, Zero snorted, Scythe tossed her head and pulled gently on the reins.
 
“Want to go for a gallop?” Heero asked as he held the gray in check.
 
“What do you think?” Duo replied, a teasing smile on his lips. “I'll race you!” Giving Scythe her head, Duo urged the mare forward.
 
Scythe needed no second invite, she leapt forward, legs stretching out and eating up the ground, tail streaming out behind her as she flattened out and gathered speed.
 
“Hey!” Heero shouted, annoyed at himself for being caught off guard. “We're not going to let them get away with that, Zero,” Heero stated and shortened his reins a touch, turning Zero fully onto the track and then giving the stallion his head.
 
With a snort, Zero was off, gray legs pistoning as his body leveled out. Zero could see the mare's tail ahead of him and he stretched even further, pushing his body to the limit and enjoying the gallop.
 
Duo didn't dare take a look over his shoulder, he could hear the pounding of hooves coming up behind him and knew Zero was gaining. Crouching closer to Scythe's neck, Duo urged the mare on. “Come on, Scythe. That's it, girl. Don't let them beat us!”
 
Nostrils flaring, Scythe laid her ears flat against her head and put on a spurt, pulling ahead of the gray again.
 
“Go, Zero. You can catch them,” Heero encouraged his horse, pushing the stallion on with his seat and legs.
 
A blur of black and gray flashed along the sandy track, two large gum trees ahead marking the finish line and each horse determined to get their nose past the trees first. Neck and neck they tore along, muscles straining, ribs heaving while legs continued to propel them forward.
 
“Atta girl, Scythe!”
 
“Come on, Zero!”
 
The gum trees passed in a blur of color, Scythe's nose just ahead of Zero's. Laughing loudly the two men began to slow the reluctant animals down, gradually bringing them back to a canter, trot and finally a walk. Duo patted Scythe's sweaty neck enthusiastically.
 
“Good, girl. You enjoyed that, didn't you?”
 
Scythe tossed her head.
 
Heero was also patting and praising the gray. “Next time, Zero. We'll beat them next time.”
 
Zero grunted and did a few dancing steps.
 
Turning the horses, they began the ride home, walking peacefully and letting the horses cool off. Returning to the stables, Duo felt much more relaxed and in a happier mood. There was something about going for a ride, enjoying the feeling of a powerful animal beneath you, the wind in your face and sun on your back that managed to dispel any ill feelings or boredom. Having unsaddled and brushed the two horses down, they put them back in the paddock and returned to the house for a drink. While Heero rummaged in the 'fridge for a couple of sodas, Duo fetched the mail from the surgery. Flipping through, he paused and took another look at the white envelope.
 
It was addressed to Heero and carried the E.F.A. logo in the top corner. Duo wondered idly what it could be. Reentering the house, Duo dropped the mail to the kitchen table and took the offered can of soda. He sat down and passed Heero his mail. “There's an official looking letter in there for you, Heero,” Duo said as he opened the first of five of his own mail.
 
“Thanks.” Curious, Heero thumbed through the letters until he found the one Duo had mentioned. He turned it over and peered at it. He couldn't make out anything through the envelope and so began to tear it open.
 
Duo was too occupied with his own mail to notice Heero's reaction to the letter he was reading. A soft gasp had him soon looking up though.
 
“Oh, god. I don't believe it,” Heero whispered, his eyes widening.
 
“What, Heero? What's wrong?” Duo was becoming concerned, especially when he saw a tear track down Heero's cheek.
 
Heero looked up, suddenly aware that Duo was speaking to him. Another tear escaped, then another and another until Heero was crying uncontrollably.
 
“Heero! What is it?” Duo was really concerned now and scraping his chair back, he was quickly beside Heero, pulling the man close to him and trying his best to soothe the rider.
 
Heero pulled away a little and turned so he could see Duo's face. “It's... I'm...” Taking a deep breath, Heero tried again. “The letter. Duo, I've been selected; I'm on the short list for the Olympic team.”
 
Duo froze, Heero's words echoing in his head as he registered their meaning. At last he managed to find his vocal chords and turned his gaze fully on his lover. “You have?”
 
Heero nodded.
 
Tears of joy fell from Duo's eyes as he hugged his boyfriend. “Heero. That's wonderful news! Congratulations. I'm so proud of you.” Locating Heero's lips, Duo proceeded to kiss the rider senseless, their tears of happiness mingling.
 
* * *
 
Heero lay on his back staring at the ceiling. Duo's head was pillowed on his chest, one of Heero's arms around the vet's shoulders. Soft snoring came from the vet's mouth as he slept causing Heero to smile. Idly, Heero's mind wandered as he waited for sleep to claim him.
 
The news of his selection to the Olympic short list had been celebrated in style at Duo's insistence. Once they're both recovered from the initial shock, Duo had gotten on the 'phone, calling Trowa, Quatre and Hilde to tell them the good news. Their friends were over the moon for Heero, all giving their congratulations and sincere best wishes. By the time Duo had finished the arrangements had been made to meet up at a fancy restaurant in Salsbury called The Lobster Pot. Quatre had taken charge and informed everyone he would book a table for seven thirty. That would give Duo enough time to finish evening consults and get to the restaurant.
 
Once their friends had been informed of the good news, Heero rang Treize to let him know. Treize had only just brought his own mail in and was busy checking through when Heero called. Immediately Treize scanned through his own mail and found an official letter amongst the pile of envelopes. He'd opened it while Heero was still on the 'phone and gave his own exclamation of joy when he read that he'd also been selected for the short list.
 
Arrangements were quickly made to change the dinner reservations to add Treize and Zechs to the table.
 
Dinner had been a huge success; good food, great wine and excellent service. When the staff of the restaurant had found out the reason for the celebration, they insisted on presenting the table with a bottle of champagne. While Treize didn't live in Salsbury, Heero did and he was their local hero. They intended to celebrate with their local star.
 
Another smile found Heero's lips. After dinner they had all gone their separate ways, Duo driving as he'd only had half a glass of champagne whilst Heero had enjoyed a full one plus a couple of glasses of wine too. After arriving home, Heero had gone to check on the horses and secure the stable block for the evening. Duo went inside the house and made them both a hot chocolate.
 
Sitting together on the couch, they snuggled while watching a movie. Kisses were exchanged and the cuddling turned into friendly groping. They made it to the bedroom and continued in their pleasuring of each other, Duo's fingers roaming every inch of Heero's body and bringing nerves alive.
 
When Duo had entered him, Heero thought his world was about to explode. It was slow, gentle and torturous. Their movements were languid, no need for rushing, the rhythm slow and steady. Duo intended to take his time, to show his partner just how much he loved and adored Heero. Heero was quite happy to let the vet have his way. The pleasure had built slowly but steadily, driving them both wild with need and desire and when they had finally come, it had been mind blowing.
 
A soft grunt came from the man currently using him as a teddy bear and Heero nuzzled the top of Duo's head, placing a gentle kiss to the crown as Duo settled again. His life had certainly taken a sharp turn the day he'd met Duo and once again he thanked any god that happened to be listening that he'd taken Zero to that show several years ago.
 
Since meeting Duo, Heero's life had changed; for the better. He was content, happy, safe and secure. Everything he'd ever wanted, he had. A successful career, financial security and the man he loved more than life itself. It had been his dream to ride for his country and he'd managed to take the first step with Zero competing in the Nations cup.
 
Now he was getting the chance to reach his ultimate goal.
 
And he had a chestnut haired vet by the name of Doctor Duo Maxwell to thank.
 
Life wasn't good...
 
It was perfect.
 
~ Owari ~
 
To everyone that has been reading this fic, whether you have left a comment or not, I thank you. It's been a fun ride, I've enjoyed writing it and playing in the universe of equine and human. The feed back I've had for this has been wonderful, many thanks to those of you that have commented. The third and final fic in this arc will be started shortly and I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I will in writing it.
*huggles*
Shen ^_^