Hamtaro Fan Fiction ❯ Hamtaro Generation II ❯ A summer ends, prepare for the best part 1 ( Chapter 17 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Hamtaro Generation

A summer ends, prepare for the best part I

It was a typical summer day though it won't be for long, it seems only yesterday when summer started and soon it would all be over. It's August and only 4 more weeks of summer vacation are left and kids everywhere we're ready and willing to make it count.

This included Laura Haruna who was planning some cool things for the coming week, but as of this moment she's content just chilling in her bedroom brushing Hamtaro's fur with a little brush.

Monday afternoon 12:30 PM

Laura: Let's see, what should I do today? I could go to the park or maybe do some shopping. I think I will go shopping. Besides I'll need something special for our family's special end of summer dinner in three weeks, grandma and grandpa are coming over and it's always a good time.

Hamtaro felt especially content being gently stroked by the brush, he usually hated standing around for a good brushing but since Laura's been especially busy he's happy to have this time just the two of them.

Laura: I wonder what I should do after shopping, I guess I could go to the park then-

Laura was so absorbed in the thought of what to do she began brushing Hamtaro's fur too hard and his head started feeling light-headed.

(Thinking)

Hamtaro: Gee do you have to brush so hard?!

Laura: Maybe I'll ask Kana to meet me at the park later-

Then she noticed she was brushing Hamtaro too hard and stopped, Hamtaro was so dizzy he fell over on Laura's lap. Little imaginary stars were fluttering around his head.

Laura: Sorry pal, I guess I have a lot on my mind.

(Still dizzy and thinking)

Hamtaro: No problemo, just be a little gentler next time.

Meanwhile at Willow cave Aaron was feeling his own discomfort. It's been 4 weeks since Sota moved in with his parents, May and Genki. He knew that was the best place for him and he visited all the time but it wasn't the same without him.

He spent all morning staring into Sota's room now completely empty since all his things we're moved to his parent's house in Ayano village.

(Sighs)

Aaron: Am I ever going to be ok with this, it's not like I'll never see him again.

While this was going on in Ayano village Sota found being a newly appointed big brother was a very difficult task. While his parents we're out on business he ran the household, May was very sweet and willing to help out but Genki while a good kid was super hyper and was never a stickler for staying in one place for long.

Sota and May were in the kitchen washing dishes and drying them when Genki came in all muddy and soiled.

May: Genki how could you?

Genki: How could I what? I just came to ask if we could go visit big brother Aaron.

May: We'll be visiting him shortly but you're not going anywhere until you get washed up.

Genki: Is that all you sisters think about, real guys get down and dirty right Sota?

Sota: Actually our sister has a point, you need to keep clean or you'll get sick and mom would not like that.

Genki: Oh all right.

Soon after the dishes were clean they took out an old washtub, Genki stepped inside. Sota and May thoroughly wash him and while it wasn't as bad as Genki thought it wasn't his idea of fun.

Sota: Well you're all done.

Genki: That was it, that wasn't so bad-

He quickly hopped out sopping wet and shook himself all over drenching his siblings.

May: Hey watch it bro, I just had a bath this morning,

Genki: Oh you worry too much, now can we go see big brother Aaron?

Sota: Yes but before we go there's something I'd like to ask you.

Genki: What's that?

Sota: How come you call Aaron big brother and not me? I'm your big brother too.

Genki: Yeah but you're only 2 years older than us, Aaron's over 10. There's a difference.

Sota: A difference how?

Genki: Well you're still a kid just like us while Aaron's practically a grown-up, that's just how it works.

May: Now that isn't fair Genki. Sota's been great to us and you've been making it impossible for him.

Genki: Whatever let's just go.

He turned and left for the trip without looking back, Sota felt awful that in Genki's eyes he wasn't up to snuff with Aaron.

Meanwhile Laura was at the park with Kana and we're just starting an interesting conversation and sit on a nearby bench talking over their end of summer plans.

A nearby park 1:30 AM

Laura: So what do you have planned for the summer's end?

Kana: Well you remember my cousins who visited last month, they're back for another visit before school started, and we're having a special dinner.

Laura: My grandparents are coming for a special dinner too, I'm really excited because they wrote saying they had a big surprise, I wonder what it is? maybe it's a box of saltwater taffy.

Meanwhile deep in the forest T.W was riding his bike over to Aaron's for tea with Sota, May and Genki visiting as well. In fact in the fork in the road up ahead he met up with them and all went to Willow cave where a traditional tea takes place.

While Aaron was brewing the tea the others sat around a low table in the living room in the traditional way. Genki was having real trouble and was shaking all over but stayed seated-

(Thinking)

Genki: How can they stand it? My paws are killing me.

May, Sota and T.W felt quite content as they are and that made Genki feel more embarrassed. Then Aaron came in with a tray in his teeth and laid it down, he then passed T.W a cup and gave May, Sota Genki and himself bowls. They first bow to each other as a thankful greeting, then turned their bowls clockwise twice to avoid sipping from the front. T.W did the same thing only he placed the cup in his right paw and turn it twice clockwise that way.

As they sipped or licked away a nice discussion was had-

Aaron: So how've you all been?

Sota: It's been going fine; we had our usual chores after breakfast and cleaned ourselves off for this visit.

(Sips)

T.W: Everything's routine with me too, business at the café is going steadily and I have a bug summer end party to plan for at my place. You're all invited to come of course.

(Straining to keep seated)

Genki: A party, great! Is there anything I can bring?

T.W: Well if you could bring some blackberries for a pie I'd be grateful.

May: Bro are you ok? You seem tense.

Genki tried to hide it with a reassuring smile-

Genki: I'm fine; I'm just a little tired.

T.W: So do you think your parents can make it?

Aaron: Well they'll be back tomorrow and their coming over so I can ask then. Speaking of which I was expecting someone else to be here too but he never showed up, I hope nothing's wrong.

Just then someone unfamiliar entered the room; it was an old gentlemen wolf wearing a New York cabby hat.

Aaron: Here you are, a little late though. Welcome to Willow cave.

Wolf: Yes thank you, I'm sorry for the delay, these legs aren't as fast as they used to be.

Aaron: That's quite all right please join us I've been keeping your tea warm for you.

Everyone moved over a bit to let the gentlemen wolf through; May took off his cap and placed it under the table as Aaron passed him a bowl of tea. After bowing to his host and his friends he also turns the bowl clockwise twice and took a lick.

Wolf: Ah yes very refreshing.

Genki was really stressing out and was barely able to feel his feet. The gentlemen wolf could see this and had a look of understanding as Aaron left to get the dessert.

Wolf: I know it's hard to sit like this, is this first formal tea?

Genki: Yeah.

Wolf: I thought so. I had a hard time sitting in this position when I was young. If you spread out your legs a little it's not so bad.

Genki tried this and felt an abundant relief-

Genki: Ah, this is much better. Thanks.

Wolf: No problem.

Aaron then came back with some carob cookies and everyone enjoyed them. That's when the conversation got interesting.

May: So sir you're from Ayano village?

Wolf: Yep, lived there all my life. I met Aaron at the general store with Anna.

Genki: You know our mom?

Wolf: Oh yes, we grew up together.

May: So you were in love?

The gentlemen wolf boomed with laughter giving May a confused look on her face.

Wolf: Oh no, I was more like a parent.

May: A parent, but that would mean… Oh my!

Everyone looked shocked except T.W and Aaron who chuckled.

Wolf: That's right, Anna was my daughter and in turn I'm your grandpa. I'm Chuck.

Genki: Well if that's the case how come I don't remember you?

Chuck: That's probably because I was in the hospital awhile, it was around a year after Aaron and Sota and your parents were separated. The year I got out I found out your mother had you two and I stayed awhile to help her out. So long ago you wouldn't remember.

Aaron: I met him as he said at the general store when mom was stocking what she needed for her business trip and introduced me. I in turn arranged this tea so we could all be reacquainted.

T.W: I had a suspicion of that.

Sota: I didn't know you were still alive, mom never told me.

Chuck: Well she would've but after I saw Aaron for the first time in years I thought I'd reintroduced myself at a nice tea. When your mother was small we did all sorts of things together, go for walks, play hide and seek, fly kites.

Sota: You like to fly kites?

Chuck: Why yes, I haven't flown one in years, I used to when I was small. Why don't I show you how to make one?

May: Oh would you really?

Chuck: Why not, I hope you'll excuse us?

Aaron: Please go ahead, I'll clean up.

T.W: I'll help.

Chuck: Well all right then kids, follow me outside.

He then grabbed his cabby hat in his teeth and threw it up high and it landed justly on his head and he and the kids went outside while Aaron and T.W cleaned up-

T.W: He sure is lively.

Aaron: I know, mom says ever since he got out of the hospital he lives everything to the fullest.

T.W: Why was he in the hospital, if you don't mind my asking?

Aaron: He hurt his leg falling in a ditch and it took a long time for it to heal completely. But he's all right now and I'm glad.

T.W: Me too, I mean that your grandfather's ok now.

Then under his breath he said-

T.W: Too bad mine's not.

Aaron: What'd you say?

T.W: Oh nothing! Let's get washing.

Aaron took a look of intrigue at T.W; he seemed to have changed expression when talking of his grandpa but decided not to worry much about it and followed him into the kitchen.

Meanwhile outside Chuck was showing his grandkids how to make a great kite and brought all he needed in a whimsical craft bag. They folded, then pasted on the sticks, now they decorated it and put on a large string of bows for the tail and tied a spool of string to it with their teeth.

By sunset 4 kites were seen decorating the sky, as they danced in the air Chuck most of all felt a tear of happiness in his heart to spend time like this with his grandkids, they stayed there for a long time until it was at last time for him to go.

Chuck: Thanks for the visit; it was nice seeing all of you. I better get going, it`s a long way back home.

Aaron: I'll walk you back if you like.

Chuck: No you've done enough, I'll just take the kids home on my way back.

Sota: Yeah, we'll keep him safe.

Aaron: Ok then, please come again soon.

And with that 4 wolves make their way into the forest-

T.W: Well I better get home too.

Aaron: All right, I'll see you at the party.

T.W: Ok, remember that's 2 weeks away.

He then got on his bike and rode off home and Aaron went inside to rest up early tonight.

Night has now fallen and tired of riding T.W walked his bike the rest of the way, after leaving the forest he starts to hear a tantalizing sound.

T.W: I wonder what that is, it sure sounds familiar.

He walks over to an abandoned country cottage to see where the sound was coming from. He looked up and saw on the roof it was Jingle strumming away on his well polished guitar.

T.W: So it was you, I thought it was familiar. Isn't it a little late for practicing?

Jingle: Late, you must be kidding. I only just got up.

T.W: So you've been sleeping all day and playing all night?

Jingle: You could say that I guess.

Then out of nowhere a yawn came out of Jingle, his eyes lowered with heaviness-

Jingle: Just great, my energy's winding down and I just found the right chord.

T.W: Well I'm heading home and if you like you could join me for some coffee and doughnuts.

Jingle: Thanks for the offer, but I must decline.

T.W: Well all right, I guess I'll see ya around.

So with his bike at hand walked away and headed for his nice warm home. The next day showed promise and worry as Cliff and Anna the parents of Aaron and Sota as well as May and Genki arrive at Willow cave. Both were nervous as this was the first time they visited the place that he and Sota called home for 5 years and it now being just him but once he greets them at the entrance they knew the treat that was in store.

Aaron showed them the entryway, the living and dining rooms, the kitchen and everywhere else. The last stop on the tour was Sota's old room afterwards returned to the living room to talk.

Anna: Well you've certainly kept a well organized home here, very impressive.

Aaron: I'm glad of that, so what did you want to see me about?

Cliff: We'll just come right to the point, we're worried about you.

Aaron: Why, what for?

Anna: Well I know this is a different routine for you, before you had the responsibility to Sota and now that he lives with us you seem well a little off your game.

Aaron: I guess so, but since I don't have to worry so much about Sota anymore it's taking adjusting to.

Cliff: It's more than that, it seems with you way out here and us on the other side of the forest the family's very scattered. Why don't you move in with us; we have a room ready and waiting for you.

Aaron: I appreciate it and I know we've only just met after so long a time but I've grown attached to this place and my new friends and I can't move.

Anna: We understand. I just wish there was a way to make this work.

Aaron: I do to mom, I do to.

With all the talk of lack of family togetherness Aaron didn't think to bring up the party and left it at that, meanwhile at T.W's house he was working in the café making a thick and velvety carob shake in a tall frosty glass for one of his infamous regulars who just walked in-

T.W: There you are, I was wondering when you'd get here. Pull up a stool, plenty of room at the bar.

It was none other than Boss who quietly approached the bar and in true bartender style slid the shake his way and he look over his inventory records on his clipboard. As he crunched the numbers Boss took heartily sips with a humdrum look on his face.

T.W: Now what are you so glum about? I hope the shake's all right.

Boss: Yeah, it's all right but that's not it.

T.W: Well what it is it, come on you can tell me.

Boss: Well, you see for the last few days I've been thinking-

Just then there was a knock at the front door-

T.W: Hold on a minute, let me see who that is.

He quickly went to the door and saw no one around.

T.W: I don't get it, I just heard my door knock but no one's here.

Voice: Hey look up!

When T.W looked up he saw it was Chris his special human friend, soon after the three moved out to the backyard where they continue the discussion.

T.W: So what brings you by?

Chris: Well I spoke with Susan a while ago who said Hakeru said you were having a summer end party and I wanted to know if I could come.

T.W: Of course, you and Susan can come. We'll simply have the party outside, I'd like to invite you in but well… You'd have to grow down.

Chris: Quite all right, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

T.W: Sure what?

Chris: My mom's finally getting time off work on the last week of summer and it's going to be just the two of us. I want to surprise her the first day with dinner and I need your advice.

T.W: Sure, what do you need?

Chris: Help!

T.W: Look no further, as graduate of the Stravland Ham-Ham culinary academy I'd be glad to be of help.

Boss: I'll help too, we'll make the best dinner a mom ever had.

Chris: Thanks guys, met me in my kitchen this Saturday morning, mom's leaving early so we can practice.

T.W: You got it, that's when operation: surprise dinner takes place.

Meanwhile back at the Haruna residence Laura was in her room working on the decorations for the upcoming party. Soon after she worked on special cards for all the guests attending and was now working on special necklaces made with glass beads for her grandparents and Kana to wear.

Laura: This is going to be the best party of the year, I'm so excited.

Hamtaro was in his cage gnawing on a baby radish-

(Thinking)

Hamtaro: So am I, our party should be just as great.

Then a voice came from downstairs-

Voice: Laura can you come down a minute? I need to talk to you.

Laura: I'm Coming mom!

She sets the necklace she was working on aside the others and went downstairs, Hamtaro got out of his cage and looked all around the room to see the seemingly countless decorations Laura had made.

Hamtaro: How impressive, I've never seen so much party stuff in one place before.

He then climbed up onto the desk and saw the beautiful necklaces Laura had been working on for hours.

Hamtaro: How interesting, Laura's making those bracelets for your necks-

He then slipped on a rubber band and got wrapped up into the necklaces and like a ball rolled off the table and landed splat on the floor breaking into shards.

(Swirly eyed)

Hamtaro: Oy, did someone get the liscence on that runaway rubber band?

Just then Laura came and Saw Hamtaro on the ground-

Laura: Hamtaro, you've escaped again?

Then when she looked more closely she saw that Hamtaro was wrapped up in string and saw little shards of broken glass everywhere-

Laura: Oh no my necklaces, there ruined.

Then Hamtaro came to and saw what he'd done-

(Thinking)

Hamtaro: Oh no, what have I done?! I'm so sorry Laura!

Laura: Well there goes my gifts to Kana, grandma and grandpa; at least your safe, that's what matters the most.

She then undid the strings and carefully brushed off the glass shards and placed him on the desk-

Laura: I better get the broom and dust pan.

While everything seemed fine Hamtaro felt awful and dropped his head in shame.

Hamtaro: What kind of hamster am I? How could I be so careless?

To be continued….

Preview of next chapter

Hamtaro: What'll I do, I've ruined the necklaces!

T.W: Calm down pal, we'll figure something out.

Boss: What'll I do, will she reply or not? I sure hope so.

Aaron: Hold on Sota I'm coming-

Sota: Hurry!

Chris: I hope my mom likes the dinner I'm making.

Hakeru: Episode 18 will be A summer ends, prepare for the best part II. I hope you look forward to it.

And now please enjoy this special mini-fic-

(Title screen)

Leave it to Boss and T.W

Who I love now

As the title screen fades we see T.W walking home from the clubhouse dragging Boss along in the ground by his ear-

Boss: Ow, ow, ow cut it out!

T.W: I honestly don't know who you are some of these days, you promised to help me at the café and you're keeping that promise!

(Really bratty)

Boss: I know I promised and I'll keep it just let go, this is embarrassing.

Soon they arrive home and begin work at the café, while T.W starts getting out the vacuum-sealed savory rice balls from the pantry Boss brings up the coffee beans from the cellar and T.W blends them according to his special recipe.

Soon after it was an hour before the café opened and Boss sat at the bar leaning on the table completely out of it.

Boss: Gee, I didn't know you go through this every work day.

T.W: Well now you do, thanks for your help today. Well since you're here, would you like anything?

Boss: Are you making the Aromachino now?

T.W: Yeah, I just got the recipe in the mail from Ari and I'm putting it on the menu today.

So he roasted the beans to Ari's instructions and set the tea leaves in a traditional cup-

T.W: So how've you been?

Boss: All right I guess, can't really complain. How are things with you?

T.W: Just the same, though I'm hoping I'll get the nerve to ask Hakeru out.

Boss: You mean to say you're an item and you haven't gone on your first date yet?

T.W: Well I'd been waiting for the right time and it just hasn't come yet.

Boss: I see, well if you want this relationship to work you'll have to ask her sooner or later. Or maybe she'll ask you first it is the after 90s.

T.W: You're right, speaking of which how's the dating game for you?

Boss: What do you mean?

T.W: Well ever since our dance party you mentioned anything about Annette.

Boss: What about Annette, there's nothing to tell.

T.W: Somehow I doubt that, the morning after you were whisper quiet you didn't say a word which is so not like you.

Boss: I guess something is getting to me, I'll tell you if you promise not to tell the others.

T.W: Sure.

Boss: Well that night after the dance when we the café and brought her to Bijou's she…

He was blushing immensely not sure if he could say it. T.W then grabbed him by the chest over the bar counter shaking him vigorously-

T.W: Come on, spit it out man!

(Really dizzy)

Boss: She said thanks for the great time and she kissed me!

T.W instantly let go super surprised-

T.W: She kissed you, are you sure you didn't kiss her first?

Boss: Hey I know what I remember and she made the first move.

T.W: Was it a peck on the cheek kiss or a luscious 5-minute lip lock?

Boss: It was a lip lock alright but I'm not sure if it was 5 minutes long.

T.W: Then how long exactly?

Boss: I think 15 minutes.

T.W: 15, Hakeru and I never kissed that long. This means only one thing.

Boss: What's that?

T.W: That my suspicions are confirmed, Annette is crushing on you.

Boss: You really think so?

T.W: Well her husband's been gone for about 6 years and so it's only natural that she's looking again and I know you like her.

Boss: So what if I do?

T.W: Well you've got act fast or she'll get away and run with another.

Boss: Where do you come up with this stuff?

T.W: What can I say, I'm a stickler for romance. Besides I'm giving you the same advice as I would someone else. If my advice doesn't help maybe you should get one of the girl's opinions.

Boss: But who?

T.W: How about Pashmina or Sandy?

Boss: I'd have to explain more than I'd want to.

T.W: Well there's Hakeru but she's spending the day with Susan. That leaves just Bijou or Penelope.

Boss: Penelope, but she's just a kid.

T.W: Well she is a girl and considering she's a good listener.

Boss: Perhaps but I don't think it'll help in this case.

T.W: Then in that case you'll have to talk to Bijou. Unless…

Boss knew exactly what T.W was thinking next and an image of Auntie Viv popped into his head.

(Thought bubble pops)

Boss: Forget it!

(^^)

T.W: Well then off to Bijou's with you.

So Boss left the café and headed for Bijou's house, as walked down a dirt path he then saw up ahead that Bijou was heading for a nearby pond and quickly follows.

Just as Boss arrived at the pond he saw Bijou sat under a Maple tree near the end of its prime. As she sat there looking out the murky yet clear pond Boss clears his throat and

Walks up to her, he sits down besides her and the talk begins rather slowly.

After much conversing Boss explains his situation and Bijou thinks hard, Boss was sweating wondering what she might say.

Bijou: Well I think T.W's right, you should tell her how you feel.

Boss: But that's the thing, I'm scared.

Bijou had never known Boss to be afraid of much and saw sweat and anxiety all over his face.

Bijou: Well don't be, you just have to go for it and give it your all. That's what I do all the time. I remember when I first met all of you, I was afraid of not fitting in. But now I have the best friends in the world, and I'll I did was take a chance.

Boss: You always cheer me up, no matter how blue I am.

Bijou: I'm glad I could help.

So Boss quickly went back home and went to his desk and began writing on a piece of aged stationary parchment and ink quill-

Dear Annette

I hope you've been well over the summer, how's work going? Things have been ok here. My friends are gearing up for summer's end and we're having a party in the meadow with the whole gang, I thought if you could make the trip you should come and bring Gari. Speaking of which how's summer school going, I understand he was at his last week when you wrote last.

How is your posse doing, I hope your teamwork has gotten stronger. You know sometimes I get super bummed when the summer ends, it means most of the hams stay primarily at home with their owners and it gets lonesome.

T.W is around though he's usually on some new ambition and…. Well this is just between us but there's something I have to know.

That night after the spring dance, well….

I'm not sure what you meant by it but, it really cheered me up and I'd love it if you came to visit me to discuss it in person.

I'll write soon

Boss

Soon after he placed it in an envelope with some recent pictures and left his desk and went outside, he went to Usatokou Airport and asked Asura to send his letter seeing as she frequents his clubhouse and quickly flies off.

As he saw the plane gets farther and farther away he thought-

(Thinking)

Boss: This is the start of a new beginning, I give hope to this new venture. Or simply put I've loved and lost and now I'm in love again.

I hope you enjoyed and also the mini movie is a prequel to what you'll see in part II