Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Ashes of Hope ❯ Chapter 32: Desperate Hope ( Chapter 32 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Harry Potter and please read the note from Chapter 1
 
Ranger Dragen...- You know how fate is. Sometimes it has to be cruel to be kind.
 
Fibinaci... *whistles
 
Shinigami-Sama 1- Maybe, maybe not who knows....
 
Chapter 32
 
Desperate Hope
 
Some would say that night played a pivotal role in the lives of many. Some would breathe a sigh of relief at the chance that maybe there was hope after all. Others would cry in pain...
 
For much like Ginny, they thought if their savior was truly alive...why had he not come?
 
Currently speaking with Dumbledore as he had rushed straight to Hogwarts after the meeting, the old wizard just sat in his chair as he seemed to almost visibly get younger, with each word spoken. When he was finally done, blue eyes that had not seen a twinkle in a long time had returned and Snape was almost ready to dance for joy.
 
Not that he would...because realization also struck him at something else. Something he did not wish to think about.
 
“Harry's...alive?”
 
“Voldemort made a valid point Albus, because of the connection between them both, if anyone would know it would be him.” Snape replied quietly. “They had been connected nearly all of Harry's life and tonight was the first time it had flared up since his death.”
 
Taking this in, Dumbledore immediately started summoning the Order to come right away. But the old man was stopped as a reluctant Severus said something that chilled him to the bone in despair.
 
“Albus before you do that. Ask yourself...if he was alive why has he not come?”
 
Stiffening the wizard pales as those words sink in. He pales in the fact that his long time friend and one he sees as a son is right in his question. Why...why hasn't Harry come forward?
 
“You... make a point Severus.” Albus said quietly. “But the others have a right to know, if Voldemort is going after Harry, maybe we could...”
 
“Could what Albus? Harry has stayed hidden if he is indeed alive for 7 years! What will us making a frantic search of everywhere do? But draw attention to the fact that Voldemort will not only know that Harry's alive, but that he can simply tail us to find him!”
 
Grasping his wand as if he desires to hex this man, Albus releases a slow sound of desperate hope.
 
“Then what do we do Severus? We need Harry back to fight Voldemort.”
 
Shaking his head sadly, Severus just looked at a man whom a long time ago had held his respect. But since those days when the boy was supposedly kissed, well that respect has more or less become pity.
 
“As much as I hate to aide that brat, Albus did you just hear what you said?”
 
Confused by Severus's statement, the potions professor gazes at his former mentor with eyes filled with sadness. Fawkes who had been listening forlornly gives a soft trill of disappointment as well. Much like the Slytherin head, the phoenix knows that Albus has gone for the lack of a better word.
 
Desperate...desperate for times that have gone and that he wants back so much. That it seems he was willing to overlook the fact that maybe the young man would see that. And would forever hate someone he once saw as a grandfather....
 
“I don't understand....”
 
“You said we need Harry to fight Voldemort.”
 
Having his own words repeated, Albus is about to comment when what Severus refers to dawns on him. Sinking back into his chair, the potions master gazes at him with pity... He speaks some words that forced Dumbledore to think as Snape takes his leave. His job for right now done.....
 
He does not like Potter, still believing the youth to be arrogant and willful like his father. But over the years he had taken a look at what his life had been like in his memories. And realized with much regret that Harry was not the child he had accused him of... He was not pampered or seeking any kind of attention.
 
His relatives would not have so readily accused him of murder if they truly spoiled him as they all had thought. He like most of the order had fallen into the same trap which was why his own words echoed in his own mind as they did over and over in Albus's.
 
Maybe that was the reason why you and others were so foolish to believe what happened all those years ago, so easilyAlbusdespite evidence.You were so busy wanting him to fight Voldemort, to be a hero. Did you ever once ask him...if he wanted toor better yet ask yourself this.... Was he even ready to?”
 
-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-
 
Elsewhere and all over the UK
 
Although neither man spoke to another that night, as each thought on what they should do, word spread via the death eaters all over the country. All of it concerning the possibility that one Harry James Potter was still alive.
 
People began to hope again but soon for some their hopes were held in doubt. For much like Ginny had thought, if he was indeed alive...why had he not come to save them?
 
It all came down to a matter of trust...
 
When word finally reached the ears of one Ronald Weasely two days later as he walked down the street he broke down and cried his sorrow and regret. If Harry was indeed alive, how would his former best friend...someone whom he knew had seen Ron and himself as brothers judge him?
 
Brothers do not do what Ron did to Harry.
 
His own brothers might still be alive if he had trusted more with his heart that day as instinct had warned him. But the evidence was so great so damning....
 
Dragging himself to a bench, the tall man just put his head between his legs to keep from collapsing in sadness and agony any further. It was then at the moment a soft and familiar voice approached....
 
“I see that you heard as well...” Hermione said quietly. His own hazel eyes looking into her sad brown ones he could see, that she herself was frazzled and in pain over the news.

”He trusted us `Mione.... We were practically brothers...”
 
“And I was his best friend...” The young woman choked out as she struggled not to cry. “And we failed him....”
 
Sitting beside him now on that bench, Ron finds himself in a long forgotten state of peace, that he could only get from her. His head resting in her lap as she clutched his hand within her own. The two drew strength from one another once more as they did so many years ago, through a bond that Harry had helped them forge....
 
“We need to find him....” Ron said quietly. His voice sad and broken, there was also a tiny measure of needful hope.

”I know and I want to find him to Ron...if he's alive. I need to find him.” Hermione whispered. “But what if he doesn't want to be found?
I mean if he's been alive all this time, what if.... She continued uncertainly, her brown eyes broken and sad....there is so much she wants to be forgiven for from their friend. But the smarts that he had often praised her for is what failed her that day....
 
She had ignored her instinct.... Ignored what her own senses were telling her. Ever since then, when they found out...she has not trusted her own ideas or opinions as much as she used to.
 
“I don't know `Mione... I just know I need to find him as well. If only to say two words to him...” Ron replied as he sat up and looked at her. His own eyes troubled and needing what only their long gone friend could give. “I need to tell him...I need to tell him I'm sorry.”
 
Looking up at him, Hermione finds herself giving a small smile as she nods her head in agreement. Because as she stares into Ron's eyes, she sees something that hasn't been there for a long time, not since that day they found out....
 
She sees strength and the Ron she fell in love with.
 
Maybe there is such a thing as hope....
 
As he stands up to offer her hand, Hermione Granger for the first time in years, finds herself taking it. After all...they had a friend to find and one they hoped will forgive.
 
“Where shall we start looking?”
 
“Remus...” Ron stated with conviction. “Remus was the one who believed in Harry when we did not...if there is anyone Harry would turn to....it would be him.
 
-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-
 
*Whistles...
 
Oh dear....