Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Harry Potter and the Ashes of Hope ❯ Chapter 35: Conscience ( Chapter 35 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Harry Potter and please read the rest of the note as stated in Chapter 1. Ignorance is so NOT bliss....
 
Some of you had been pretty anal about a second Prophecy and I told you to wait and see that there was a reason for that one. Now you know why....
 
To those who liked the explanation into why the original prophecy was fulfilled. That is actually based on true Mythology. Some religions do believe that death simply does not mean a loss of life. It simply means a change of it.
 
Trebsc...- No Not Fleur, I think she is too old for him. On the other there are others just right for his age. And as to the rest well as I stated before.... it is up to Harry himself to tell me...
 
Evergreen Sceptre...- Will Remus be able to take on Greyback....that is the million dollar question ain't it *goes off to pester the wizard in her mind.
 
Fibinaci...- There are others who see Harry besides Remus and Gabrielle. There is also Fleur, Alexandre, and Isabelle. Which by the way for being the only two Mary-sues of sorts in this fic, you guys adore them. I'm getting tons of fan mail for Isabelle and Alexandre!
 
Chapter 35
 
Conscience
Three days after growth
 
Earlier we spoke of pain being a form of instinct. Well that is true, to the Wolves and those who follow the Way. Conscience is another....if a shifter or any kind of creature feels like something is wrong, but yet say nothing. The instinct eveytime a reference to it is made in their presence flares up...
 
Reminding them that something was not right with the world....
 
Remus watched as Harry worked out some spell issues alongside Fleur and Gabrielle. Gabrielle having come to aide in her sister's tutoring of their friend, found herself spending more and more time with her sister at the cabin.
 
Having returned from visiting Alexandre and Isabelle's home last night after Harry's growth a scant two days before, he and Tonks were somewhat on eggshells at the moment. Each wanting to speak....but not knowing what to say, without offending the other. And Harry....
 
Well, the youth found himself interested in Fleur's younger sister and much to the delight of Alexandre and Isabelle who smiled in approval. Gabrielle apparently returned the interest....
 
Wise to say nothing, Remus admittedly wondered if Harry moving on away from her...was the right thing to do. Only last night as he managed to avoid speaking with Tonks once more, he had walked in to catch Harry looking through pictures again and his eyes often drifted to those of the youngest Weasely.
 
Ginny....
 
“Allow me to train him to Remus.”

Startled out of his train of thought, the older man turned to find his mate (for lack of a better word) staring at him with a determined look on her gaze.
 
“Dora?”
 
“You heard me Remus, allow me to train him!”
 
Pulling her away, gently as not to distract the youth who had glared at her with an almost rebellious stare, he turns back a moment only to find Gabrielle smacking him upside the head. The young woman, babbling a few choice words in French, Fleur is giggling as she explains to the perplexed young man. That her sister only does that when she is irritated, apparently, she thought Harry was being rude.
 
Pausing long enough to shake his head, his thoughts turn back to the ones he had before for only a moment. Maybe he was wrong to think about Harry's attachment to the memory of young Ginny Weasely. Gabrielle Delacourt was having more or less a better effect on Harry's life then he could ever dream.
 
Especially as in retaliation for it he gives an impish grin, and tackles said blonde to tickle her mercilessly.
 
Laughter left in their wake, he turns back and pulls Tonks into another room. The auror only struggling slightly, he releases her long enough for her to whirl on him in anger.
 
“Just what did you do that for?!”
 
“Why! Why do you want to train him?!
Both questions shot at one another at the same time. Despite being in other rooms of the cabin, others listen to what is about to happen.
 
For the first time in a while.... Remus Lupin was going to take a stand.
 
Memories of not having been able to before crowding his mind, from years ago, he is hard pressed to keep Moony under control. The werewolf had needed to say much on the hold that the Wizarding world had on its cub. It does not want to be denied. But as the sense of Remus agreeing with it mentally finally strikes the beast within. Moony gives a low growl of irritation before quieting down.
 
“Tonks...why?”
 
Nervous and yet steadfast in her decision to do this, the Metamorphagus looks at someone she adores with all her heart.
 
“I want to do it for the both of you....” She said quietly. “Isabelle helped me to understand, that Harry has choices now. Choices that we inadvertently took away from him, with our needs and our desire for him to beat the Dark Lord. A lord whom we helped in destroying our hero's faith in us....”
 
Listening intently, Remus resisted the urge to hug the young woman close. Proud and courageous like her cousin Sirius was before his fall, Tonks was risking a lot by admitting that what she believed in was selfish....and wrong.
 
“According to Harry, Voldemort now knows Harry is alive. And you and I both know he has pulled a few new tricks these last few years Remus. Even though I know he doesn't... have to come back...he will still find him.”
 
About to comment, it was at that moment Harry stepped forward. His face grim and his conscience clean at the moment.
 
“Then train me...”
 
Surprised by his answer, Gabrielle and the others just look at Harry in shock. His smile turned to them gentle and kind, he speaks.
 
“As much as I don't to wish to fight, Tonks is right. He will find me for like the others. He still believes.”
 
“Harry?” Tonks said with a small measure of shock and... A little bit of hope.
 
Turning eyes of emerald upon her, the life that she knew she had never seen there before shined. But it was not with warmth that it shone, it was with anger and hatred.
 
“Do not think I have forgotten things that were said and done to me before Tonks. I remember Azkaban and the only person I remember trying to save me unlike others I could mention. Was Remus...out of all the people I truly knew, why was he the only one who believed in me?”
 
“Harry....I'm sorry...”
 
“Don't be...” The young man replied with detachment. “I have long since forgiven you and the others Tonks. But forgotten...that's something else entirely.
 
Stunned by his words and his feelings, the woman's hair turned a deep brown. As her violet eyes became dark and clouded with shame.... “Harry....”
 
“Don't Tonks, just don't.” Harry replied. “Voldemort will find me, no doubt about that. But I want to dictate the when and the how, he will find me. That you can help me with Tonks...”
 
“I promise I will do all that I can Harry....”
 
Silence was her only answer as the black haired man turned and strode away. The younger of the blondes going after him, they remaining ones, simply watch as she catches up. Pausing in mid step as something is said, they almost scream in sadness as he strides away furiously. Still Fleur, holds the others back as her sister growls and yells in French before striding after him.
 
“Fleur?”
 
“Gabrielle can keep an eye on him Remus.” The elder of the Delacourt sisters sated with a gentle smile. “It may be better this way, Harry has only recently truly met her and in some ways they are still strangers, despite their interest in one another.”
 
“I don't understand.”
 
Chuckling quietly, Tonks looks up at a clueless Remus with a wry smile. She perfectly understands the meaning behind the Veela's words. “It is sometimes easier to talk to a stranger then it is to a loved one.”
 
-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-
 
Walking silently with Harry, Gabrielle waits, for him to speak. Determined to go with him, as her instincts have told her, the young Veela was admittedly worried for him. She remembers his past quite well thanks to the revelation of his innocence. She had still been in Beauxbatons at the time, and it had shaken a many who had thought him guilty despite their ridiculous worship of him.
 
Much like her sister and some of their closest friends, being of magical creature blood, although in a small amount is why they believed in Harry's innocence. But as Remus had told them just this morning, it would not have made any difference.
 
Magical creature blood that was active as it was in him and the Delacourt sisters was not welcome by the so called Blood Purists...namely Death eaters in hiding within it. They would have made no secret about their dislike and would have some reason to force them out or to even join Harry in Azkaban on some trumped up charge.
 
It had taken Dumbledore a lot of pulling strings here and there to keep that from happening to Remus when he had tried to storm the trial apparently that day.
 
“Sometimes I wish I could make it just go away....”
 
Her thoughts scattered for a split second, Gabrielle looks up at Harry with thoughtful blue eyes.
 
“I wish I could just move on with my love, forget they ever existed....but I can't.”
 
“Why not Harry?” Gabrielle risked commenting. Her voice soft and curious, it is also inviting him to continue on. Her senses telling her that he needs...no must speak what he can.
 
“Even though they essentially abandoned me....”
 
“You can't do the same to them.”
 
Nodding his head in response, Harry lets out a pained sigh of agony and defeat. “Is it wrong to just want to forget all about it? To not go and fight?”
 
“No...It's human.” The blonde replied. “They hurt you Harry. And it is only natural we want to forget those who have caused us heartache and pain.” Gabrielle regretfully stated.
 
“So I'm human huh....” Harry intoned wryly. “Then why...why does it feel so wrong to think these thoughts.”
 
“Because you would feel guilty if you did not. You know sooner or later, to bring you out he will use them as bait or even kill them. Although I have only just now started to get to know you Harry, I firmly believe despite what has happened, you would not leave them to that kind of fate.”
 
Thoughtful and then smiling gently, he turns his verdant eyes on her with warmth that makes her heart pound against her chest.
 
“You believe I wouldn't huh...”
 
Shaking her head, Gabrielle smiled. “The Harry I have to come to know values life far too much to let it be destroyed because of him.”
 
“You think so....”
 
“I know so.”
 
Remaining silent after that, Gabrielle lets out an involuntary shiver from the cool breeze that roamed through the woods. Seconds later she is surprised as a robe that is warm and smells invitingly like chocolate and cinnamon to her senses surrounds her body.
 
Looking up into the bright green eyes, the blonde gives a small smile at the slight pinkness to his cheeks. “Thank you Harry....”
 
Nodding his head, as if to say welcome, Harry says nothing else in response or even in conversation the rest of their time in the woods, all he did was simply stand there alongside Gabrielle.

Savoring the fact that there is someone
else who knows who he is and not what he is...