Harry Potter - Series Fan Fiction ❯ unbreakableBOND ❯ Of Tricks and Traps ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A/N: I don't own the Harry Potter or the Draco Malfoy.
OI!!!: So uhm...DON'T KILL ME!!!! And if you're wondering for what...you'll see.
unbreakableBOND
Chapter Fifteen: Of Tricks and Traps
Draco leaned his head against the cool tile of the shower, the hot water cascading over his chiselled body, erasing any sign of his and Harry's earlier activities. He exhaled slowly, his eyes shut tight against the onslaught of emotions that went through his head like lightening, coming quickly and disappearing just as suddenly.
He had thought...he had thought he had it, he had thought he and Harry had finally reached a rapport, but apparently not. He was still the one hanging from the proverbial cliff, dangling by mere fingers, as Harry watched contemplatively, wondering whether to grab on to Draco's outstretched hand or to let him fall. Fall into the jagged rocks of despair, and heartbreak.
Draco shook his head violently, water splaying from the wet golden locks. He would not think on this any longer!
And yet, Harry had seemed genuine in his declaration of wanting to wait. What if he really was warming up to the idea of them being able to truly be in love with on another without the aid of the Bond? It was likely Harry had just accepted it himself but just wasn't ready to say it, in which case that would be better for Draco.
Suddenly Draco's eyes snapped open. What was he thinking!? When had he become like this? How had become this pathetic excuse for a man, mooning over someone that clearly didn't feel the same way about him? He'd come to terms with it sure, but that didn't mean he had to act like a...like some little Hufflepuff, falling in love for the first time. Although, it was true on the second count. But who said he had to cater to Harry like this?
Was this going to be the rest of their lives? Harry leading him around by the nose? Him doing everything possible to make sure Harry was happy, while Harry contributed little to nothing?
Suddenly Draco felt a pair of arms wrap around his waist, a naked body pressed against his back.
Draco sighed as Harry pressed a kiss to his shoulder, in that moment he supposed it didn't matter, because if he could just have little moments like this, then it was all worth it.
+++
Draco didn't sleep much that night, his mind cluttered with inane scenarios of his and Harry's future. All he could see was an awkward scene of them having morning tea, not really speaking about anything because, well, what was there to speak about? Besides...
Oh, God, they were going to have children! And soon.
Somehow it hadn't really hit Draco until he had glanced over at Harry sleeping peacefully, a patch of moonlight hitting his exposed abdomen making it glow. A child, a child. Draco was going to be a father.
It was probably when he realised he would be responsible for another life, a life that he and Harry would have to mould into a person that he forced his eyes shut and willed himself to sleep.
Much to his dismay his sleep turned out to be littered with dreams and nightmares in some cases, of him and Harry, Voldemort, his father, a house in London, a tombstone with a name he didn't recognise, but knew whose it was, of a little girl with bright green eyes, a pale, cherub face, and curly golden blonde hair, a little boy with sliver eyes, tan skin, and dark, silky hair, and the face of their creator twisted in pain, their eyes shut tight, screaming silently in agony as the life left them.
+++
“Hey, are you awake?” A voice whispered near him, soft and pleasant. Draco twitched a bit, but didn't respond other than that. If there was one thing Draco hated it was mornings, and even with the pleasant promise of that voice he couldn't be bothered to wake. Truth be told, if Draco were allowed to sleep till three in the afternoon everyday, he would, regardless of what time he went to bed that night.
“Hey,” the voice was remarkably close to his ear. “Wake up,” it coaxed him.
Draco threw his body to the side with a warning groan, a futile attempt to escape the now annoying voice. He was trying to sleep, dammit!
He heard the other chuckle, and say. “I might've known that wouldn't work, I normally have to beat you to get you up.” At that Draco's entire body tensed, maybe it'd be best if he awoke. But before he could force his eyes open the bed was dipping dangerously close to him and a pair of lips were attached to his.
Draco's sleep clouded mind began to register that it was Harry, rather than some stranger (or Pansy) and his hands began to move on their own accord to thread through those silky brown locks.
Unfortunately for Draco, it ended all too son when Harry pulled away and gave him a small smile. “Awake, then?” he asked.
Draco answered by kissing him again.
“Come on,” Harry said pulling on Draco's arm and climbing out of bed. “We have to go into Hogsmeade.”
Draco groaned and rolled over. “It's too early, Harry.”
“It's half past noon, now let's go.” Draco felt the dip again and suddenly he was face first on the floor with a yelp.
“Alright.” Draco's voice was mumbled by the floor. “We'll go now.”
“Knew you'd see in my way,” Harry answered, then glided into the bathroom.
For a second, Draco was very concerned about the state of his future health.
+++
They had cast heavy Glamour's before leaving the castle. Draco's eyes were bright blue and Harry's went to brown. Harry's hair was a honey brown while Draco's was black. Harry had commented that it suited him, with the contrast from the pale skin, but Draco liked his natural colour better. Plus, they had cast several Divert the Eye spells.
They had wondered into one costume shop and hadn't any luck with anything, all those costumes were for old people.
“Do you feel that?” Draco asked when they left the mothball infested store.
Harry didn't turn to Draco and answered, “Someone is watching us.”
“Yes, but I wonder if they know who they're watching, and why.”
“Just ignore it,” Harry said. “When we get to the next store we'll cast another Glamour.”
Draco nodded and walked into the party store behind Harry. Draco gravitated towards a row of costumes immediately. He picked up an orange jumpsuit, it was sleeveless and low cut in the neck, but there was a blue shirt underneath. It came with a pair of odd locking boots, sort of like those Muggle Uggs only pointed.
“Hey,” Harry said from behind him. “You like that?”
“Yea, it looks like some kind of Karate uniform or something. Why?” Draco asked.
“Oh, it just doesn't seem like something you'd wear is all.” Draco really didn't like the look on Harry's face that said he knew something that Draco didn't, but let it go. That was until he heard Harry mutter something about `Evil will not stand!' and laugh. “What?” Draco demanded.
“Oh nothing, just make sure you pick up any Dragon Balls you see, you're going to need them.”
“What!?” Draco asked shocked, why would he need a dragons balls? “I will do no such thing!” He shoved the costume back on the rack and Harry laughed light heartedly.
They browsed the racks, Harry having more luck than Draco. In the end Harry ended up with three to try on and Draco one. Harry went into the dressing room first while Draco waited impatiently outside.
When the curtain opened the first time Draco immediately `booed' Harry's choice.
“No, no, no. That's not good,” Draco told him.
“Why?” Harry gave a little twirl making the bells attached to his shoes and hat tinkle softly. “Don't you think I look cute?” he asked sarcastically.
“A Christmas elf, Harry? Really, no, just put it back, try on the next one.”
In truth, while the costume was very tacky, the only real reason Draco had for making Harry take it off was the fact that it was so tight. Jade green leggings moulded to his legs like a second skin, the bodice like a corset almost, and the hat and shoes to top it off making Harry look absolutely delicious.
No one was ever going to see Harry wearing such a garb....well, no one but him. Harry rolled his eyes and went back into the dressing room.
Draco heard some groaning and called over if the other boy was alright, he got a muffled `Fine!' and then a few moments later Harry called, “How about this?” he threw back the curtain and Draco promptly broke into a fit of laughter.
“What?” Harry asked taking the costume head off.
“You-you,” Was all Draco could get between laughs.
Harry stood with his arm around the head and his other hand on his hip a sour look on his face. “'I-I' what?”
“Do you, do you have any idea what you're dressed as?”
Harry looked down at his purple covered body, then to the costume head which held one eye and one horn. “Er...Barney on heroin?” he tried.
“Who's Barney?” Draco asked, still laughing.
“Never mind,” Harry sighed.
“Harry, you need to take that off,” Draco told him.
“Why?”
“Because if any One Eyed One Horned Flying Purple People Eater's see you they will be very upset.”
“Wait, what?” Flying Purple People Eaters? Harry'd heard about them once...in a song! “Wait! These things are real!?”
“Yes! I don't think we covered them in CoMC. Oh, how could you not have heard of them? I mean, a Muggle even made a song about them!” Draco laughed as Harry threw the curtain shut.
“Yea, but I thought it was just a song!”
“When will you ever learn, Harry?”
“I don't know, but I'm going as this!”
“The Purple People Eater?” Draco asked incredulous.
“No, as this.” Harry opened the curtain after a few moments and revealed himself in a pair of black pants, what seemed to be medical tape wrapped around his right leg above his knee, the vest like tank top was a light grey colour, with a black turtle neck tank top underneath. To say he looked odd was an understatement, but perhaps the oddest thing about the outfit, besides the awkward looking sandals and the shield gloves that looked like they might be for Quidditch, was the mask that looked like a fox covering Harry's face, blond spiked hair sticking up from behind.
And strangely enough, he looked hot.
“What is that?” Draco asked.
Harry took the mask off and Draco saw that he'd spelled his eyes sky blue, and had lines that looked like whiskers running down his cheeks.
“You don't like it?” Harry asked. “It's from a Muggle telly show, called Naruto. It's about ninjas.”
“Oh,” Draco said, so that was the reason for the various amour and knives.
“I'm Naruto,” Harry said proudly. “And I have the best idea for you Draco.”
“What's that?” Draco asked, still staring lustfully at Harry's body.
+++
“No, bloody way.” Draco scowled at the mirror and then at Harry.
When Draco had agreed to letting Harry pick out his costume, he hadn't thought of the consequences. He looked much the same as Harry, which he told Harry was very tack of them to go in matching costumes, but secretly was eternally grateful, because now everyone would know that the costumed Harry was with someone.
The only differences between them were Draco had no whisker marks and he had black hair. But his...his hair!
“Come on Draco, you said I could do it!” Harry goaded.
“No, no, no, when I said you could I didn't know this is what it would be!” He pointed angrily at his hair.
See, Draco was apparently dressed as this Naruto's rival and best friend (Draco had to wonder about the underlying similarities between he and Harry and these Muggle characters) Sasuke. Now, Draco had heard from Harry that Sasuke was very attractive and all the girls wanted him and he had his own fan club. Plus, he was the most powerful ninja of their age and was even stronger than most of the ones older than them, but he was also clod and cunning and highly intelligent and wasn't afraid to use...alternative means to get what he wanted.
And this all sounded very fantastic to Draco because he could definitely see how he and this Sasuke fellow were alike with their amazingly good looks and powerful death glares and what not.
That was until he saw what his hair looked like.
“It looks like a bloody chickens arse!” Draco screamed, pointing to the back of his head where his hair was flipped up exactly like a chicken derrière.
“Yea, so, look at mine!” Harry yelled back.
“What? It's only blond now!” There was no way he was going out in public with chicken butt hair! Seriously what was this guy thinking? He had the right idea with the strand in the front but the back was just too much! Malfoys were not chickens!
No pun intended, Draco thought after that.
“Please.”
One word, one word with one syllable and one expertly placed look.
And that was all it took.
“Dammit.”
+++
Draco entered the Great Hall side by side with Harry, his mask shaped ambiguously like a cat hindering his vision. He could see confusion on most of their faces, while a few of the Muggle-borns seemed surprised. Suddenly his vision was clouded by a large brown box. Draco looked closer and found that it was the Weasel and Granger.
“Is that you Harry?” Hermione questioned, peering up at Draco through her mask.
Granger looked relatively normal...and repulsive. The woman was wearing a spandex suit and had a mask over her eyes with little ears sticking off the top.
“Dear God, Granger, did you paint that on?” Draco asked.
“Draco, then,” She amended and turned to Harry.
Harry whacked him in the chest and said, “She's Catwoman.”
“Right,” As if Draco couldn't see she was dressed as a cat. “And what about you Weasel? Finally realising where you belong?”
“Shut up,” Ron grumbled his face reddening violently.
“What exactly are you?” Harry asked.
“Ronald,” Hermione interjected. “Is someone who cannot make a decision and likes to wait to do anything until the very last second and therefore has to come to Halloween celebrations as a suitcase.”
At this Draco burst out laughing, he actually doubled over he was laughing so hard and he could feel tears streaming down his cheeks.
“Shut up!” Ron yelled. “At least my hair doesn't look like a chickens arse!”
Draco was too far gone by this point and just continued laughing and he heard Harry laughing beside him. He watching as Ron fumed, only fuelling their humour.
“Now really you two,” Hermione chastised the laughing boys, smiling a bit too wide herself.
“And what exactly are you supposed to be?” Ron grumbled. “Some kind of freaky Death Eater?”
“Ron!” Hermione hit him upside the head rather harshly.
Draco's mouth twisted into hard scowl underneath his mask, how dare the Weasel speak to him like that?
“That was uncalled for, Ron,” Harry said, grabbing Draco by the hand and pulling him away. Draco looked back at the spluttering suitcase and the smirking cat before allowing Harry to lead him freely. “I hate it when he says stuff like that,” Harry told him once they were out of ear shot.
“Is that often?” Draco asked as Harry sat down at a table in the corner, away from everyone.
“Unfortunately.” Draco suddenly wished they weren't wearing these stupid masks so he could see Harry's face right now. “It didn't use to bother me that much...and now I realise it should...” he trailed off.
“Why?” Draco pressed. “What does it matter what he thinks of me or my family or anyone in Slytherin? The world will still see us as being Dark, no matter what we do.”
“But you're not,” Harry answered fiercely. “It was wrong of me to judge you like that all these years, always wondering what you had up your sleeve, watching you constantly for any indication of a mark, anything to prove that you're bad and I was good.”
Harry stopped, and Draco saw his eyes glitter in the dim light, flicking towards Draco's own. “But I know now that you're not, I know that you're a much better person than many could ever hope to be.”
Draco's brilliant smile was hidden by his mask, and he leaned forward and whispered. “And I know that you're far greater and kinder person than anyone ever will be.” With that Draco reached up and pulled Harry's mask away, twisting it to the side so only he could see the boy before him, then guiding Harry's hand up to hold it. Harry looked confused until Draco did the same with his creating a shield from the rest the room.
Draco leaned in slowly, Harry meeting him half way, their lips melting in a soft kiss, no tongue, no teeth, no unbridled passion. Just a simple kiss that said more than any words ever could mange. They stayed like that for several moments, as the world seemed to spin around them, blurring into nothingness but the two of them and the roaring sound of Draco's heart beating wildly in his ears. Spinning, spinning, spinning, until Draco thought his heart might burst from the indescribable emotion flowing through him like his own blood.
He knew then he was in too deep, that even if he were it suddenly disappear at that moment it wouldn't matter because he would have had his own moment, the moment that everyone lives for and so few ever got.
They broke apart just as slowly as they started and it was dizzying, and exhilarating, and anguishing, and perfect.
And Draco just couldn't hold back any longer. “I love you.”
Draco heard Harry gasp quickly, but kept his eyes closed, not wanting to face the rejection he knew was about to be delivered. He knew it, and he said it anyway, something in him just couldn't take in any longer. God, he was such a fool!
“Draco,” Harry breathed. “I-”
“Don't,” Draco hissed, eyes shut tight, he replaced his mask and stood. “I know, Harry, I know.”
“Draco!” Harry called. But the blond ignored him, pushing through the crowd to get to the exit and fast. He had to get out of here, it was so hot and stuffy and everyone was breathing and he couldn't take it! It felt like everyone was watching him, laughing at him; it was like everyone knew what he had done, what had happened. And, in his haste to get away, he missed the one pair of eyes that did follow his exit.
Once outside the hall he practically ran to the stair case, taking them two at a time and just going up and up until he couldn't feel his legs and his breathing was harsh and uneven. He had to keep moving, if he stopped he would think and if thought well...he'd think about that when he thought...
It didn't matter though, because he could still feel. He could feel the Bond weakened, he could barely feel where Harry was at all, and he knew it was because of what he had said, and what Harry would have said had he been allowed to.
The Bond was weakening, the result of two unwilling parties being forced into a Bond and it would eventually dissipate and he would die, the only one attached to the frail thread of a relationship that kept them together. And it would break, and he with it.
No, I mustn't think, I cannot think! He yelled at himself, picking up his pace on the stairs. He reached the top of the castle and headed for the owlry, a strange place to go, but it was where he could almost insure his privacy.
It was when he entered the room he realised something was right. Someone else was here with him, but where? He turned sharply towards the door, a spell poised on his lips and wand drawn.
The last thing Draco saw was a bright red light and then everything went to black.
+++
Harry froze in place, his foot hovering above a stair, his eyes wide with shock and his heart flipping in his chest. Something was very, very wrong. Harry couldn't remember going up the stairs, couldn't remember racing to the owlry, he couldn't remember the blur that was running down the stairs again and the faces of the people he had knocked over in his haste to find someone to help him. He couldn't remember Hermione telling him to calm down and speak slowly, or Ron looking dumbstruck and asking stupid questions.
He couldn't remember Snape shaking him for information, or Dumbledore trying to pry the only thing he had from his fingers, he couldn't remember Sir Yamiko saying something cool, or McGonagall wrapping her arm around his shoulders. He couldn't remember Sirius holding him or Remus leading him back to his rooms. He couldn't remember the nightmares he had that night or how many times he awoke screaming and covered in sweat, and alone.
He could, however, remember falling to the dirty owlry floor, a sinking feeling in his heart and a sob caught in his throat as he clutched Draco's abandoned wand to his chest.
A/N: By the way, they were anbu Naruto and Sasuke. For all of you that are like `God, I fooching hate anime people like here, why do they have to throw their anime shit in everyone else's face?' I have two things to say to you a) Foochya and 2) I needed costumes okay!? Just so you're all aware, Draco originally picked up a Goku costume. While that would have been very funny for me, I needed costumes where their hair colour would change and faces covered, for...obvious reasons...which you shouldn't kill me for:D.