InuYasha Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ Feudal Weather Witch ❯ Raging Winds ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Feudal Weather Witch
by ElysianKiss

Chapter dedication: I dedicate this chapter to the insatiable Vorsith! May you have the patience to await my next installment.

Raging winds

Shippo crashed into Kaede's hut, a sheen coating of sweat matted down his auburn fur. His eyes glowed ruby red as they quickly searched the hut to pin the startled Kaede with their deadly glow. The old priestess was shocked to the core, she had not sensed the demon until it was upon her. She knew not what to do. Before she could do anything at all, she found that the demon had tossed her in the air and caught her on it's powerful back. She clutched the fur tightly so as not to fall. What was this demon up to?! Oh, her poor hip! Kagura could only stare in shock as the elder woman was taken. She silently cursed not being a demon anymore for that one instant.

The villagers were shocked when they had seen the demon crash into the priestess' hut and then kidnap her. The beast had incredible speed and before anyone else could react, it had clenched its jaws tightly on the collar of one of the farmers and leapt into the sky. Blue fire licked at the delicate paws of the adolescent fox demon as he used powers he had only ever seen his father use. He knew now what had occurred and the longer he remained in his true form, the easier it was becoming to use his powers. He had wasted little time kidnapping Kaede and the old farmer. He would reach Sango and Miroku soon. He could feel the winds caressing his lithe body as his power thrust him forward. He frowned as the frightened farmer continued his struggles and growled menacingly at him. The poor farmer began to cry and snivel.

Sango's eyes slowly opened, she felt a presence near her. She turned her head weakly to see Miroku, collapsed beside her on the earth. His face was painted in a painful mask. His beautiful visage was tainted with caked blood and dirt mixed with sweat. Her vision was blurring in and out and it was nauseating her.
"Miroku...," she managed in a whisper.
The monk cracked open his eyes, he could not move. The poison in his system was already working to destroy his life, he would not aid it in moving through his veins. He looked out of the corner of his eyes and an elated relief crashed over him body and soul. She was all right. Sango was alive, although barely.
"Sango," was his hoarse reply.

Sango's eyes became teary as she realized just why Miroku was in this condition. He must have sucked up every last poisonous insect to protect her and Shippo.
"Miroku," she whispered, brokenly, as she stretched out her arm to reach him.
Even though he knew the poison would only spread faster at his action, Miroku reached toward her as well. Their fingertips touched lightly at first and then their fingers intertwined as they held hands. Both of their thoughts were that this was their time to go and they would go together, not alone. Miroku smiled at her in encouragement.
"I am glad...that you are still alive, Sango," he whispered.
Sango squeezed his fingers lightly and smiled in return.

Before either had the chance to say more, the earth shook with great intensity. Blue fire licked at the edges of their vision before the priestess Kaede, with a man in tow, came to them. A majestic fox demon, who could be no more than a mere adolescent, strode toward them. Sango looked at the fox with confusion. Her silent question was answered as the fox demon's fur began to disappear and his position changed to an upright one as he shrank in size. All were stunned to say the least as a very exhausted Shippo fell to his knees after transforming back to his humanoid state. The young kit panted for breath as the effects of using so much power so suddenly caught up to him. His vision swam and he swayed, falling to the earth with a light thump and spraying of dirt.

Kaede instructed the farmer to look after Shippo as she took care of Sango and Miroku. Her eyes narrowed in focus and concentration so that she might save the lives of the young ones that had yet so much to live for. For the next few hours, Kaede continued to instruct the farmer on how best to help her. She would leave him to care for her charges as she walked into the woods to gather more herbs.

Soon, the light of the sky began to fade and the farmer built a bonfire to keep them all warm through the night. It wasn't long before she wondered what had become of the firecat, Kirara. She found said firecat at the edge of the woods, smothered in blood and barely breathing. She tenderly lifted Kirara in her arms, wincing when the firecat meowed in pain. The old priestess brough Kirara back to the fire and cleansed and bandaged her wounds, setting her close to the fire and across from the sleeping Sango.

Shippo was still blissfully asleep, resting from his energy output. Sango and Miroku had already awoken from their naps. Miroku grimaced and nearly gagged as the taste of the antidote that Kaede had forced down his throat earlier lingered upon his taste buds. He was, however, grateful to Kaede for curing him so quickly; but most of all to the young Shippo who had been forced to embrace his demon form to save them. Sango was another story all together, her wound was deep and although it had stopped bleeding by the time Kaede had arrived, she had lost too much blood. Her skin looked as pale as a lotus blossom, her once cherry lips were chapped and only a degree more colored than her cheeks. The blood that had been caked around her wound and on her hands had been cleansed, and her minor cuts tended to. Still, Sango's survival was hanging by a mere thread.

The young monk found he was finally able to move with little pain and so he made his way over to his sleeping companion. He gently removed a wayward hair from her pallid face, his deep violet eyes showing his genuine concern. Sango's brows furrowed in her slumber and her eyes slowly opened. Her eyes that held such fire and determination, things that Miroku so admired in her, were dulled. Looking into her practically lifeless eyes felt like a sword ripping through flesh, sinew, and bone to Miroku. He held the hand she so weakly held up to him. He fought to give her a true smile of encouragement, but he could only muster a small grim smile.
"I'm going to die," Sango said, more than asked, "I'm glad...you're with me, Miroku."
"No, Sango!" he replied harshly, barely able to control the hot rush of tears that wanted to pour out of his bleeding soul, "No. You won't die. Because you see, you're a woman of honor. And you made a vow to defeat Naraku, you won't die until you do that."
He sounded desperate, pleading. He felt like a man drowning amidst a sea of chaos. He had been so relieved to see her awake earlier, how utterly stupid of him not to realize she was merely dying a slow death.

He felt him before he saw him. Shippo curled up on the monk's lap, having awoken sometime between Miroku's movements toward Sango and his pleas for her to live. The young fox sniffled and fought back his own tears.
"Sango," Shippo sniffled, "You saved me."
"Yes, Shippo," she smiled, weakly, "I could never...forgive myself if something happened to you...while Kagome was gone."
Shippo cried outright and clung to Miroku's purple robes.
"Don't cry, Shippo," Sango said, soothingly, "It's all right."
"No! It's my fault! It's all my fault!!" he wailed.
"It's not your fault, Shippo," Miroku said, sternly, "It is solely the fault of Naraku. You did everything you could to help us. You are a strong demon, Shippo."
Shippo nodded slowly, sniffling and rubbing at his tearful eyes. Smooth, moist trails lead from his eyes to his chin. He hiccupped and tried to pull himself together. Sango held an arm out to the young fox and he fell into it. He clung to her arm, careful not to hurt her, and cried softly. Sango could only pet the young fox's hair and whisper softly and soothingly to him. It didn't take long for the kit to fall asleep.

~*/|\*~

Beast flicked off the television set. He frowned, massaging the bridge of his nose with his index finger. Yet another dome had appeared in Mexico, over a Mayan pyramid. Things were going from bad to worse. They still had no idea what Apocalypse's plan was as he continued to create domes. Thus far, the domes were located in Egypt, China, and Mexico. They were strategically placed, no doubt. He turned from his thoughts to see Sesshomaru regarding the dim television. Golden eyes immediately settled upon him, making him feel very much intimidated by the demon lord. He was saved by the entrance of InuYasha.
"Sesshomaru, get moving! Wolverine set up one of those danger room simulations. We all have to train you know, even you," InuYasha stated.
"Keh," Sesshomaru snorted, much as InuYasha would, "This Sesshomaru needs not train with a human."
"Trust me, Sesshomaru. Wolverine can fight with the best of us demons."
"You are but a half demon," Sesshomaru corrected before slipping past a fuming InuYasha.
"I'll show you half demon!" InuYasha declared, following his elder brother.

Kagome sat in the garden with Jean, both were meditating. Kagome could not concentrate, however. Something within her was making her restless. It was like she was being called somewhere urgently. Something was terribly wrong and it made her heart ache. She stood up, startling Jean out of her meditation.
"What is it, Kagome?"
"I don't know. I just...I just feel like something is wrong. Someone is in pain...," she trailed off.
"Do you think you could be developing other mutant abilities?"
"No. No, it's not like that. It's nothing telepathic or empathic...it's a feeling in my heart."
Jean nodded.
"Come. Let's go inside. It's time for Wolverine's training session," Jean smiled.
Kagome groaned. When would this torture end?! If it wasn't Sesshomaru pushing them to their limits, it was Wolverine! If she didn't know better she'd say the two were in a competition for who could run the hardest training session! She looked up at the sky as she felt that same pang in her heart again, her eyes clouded with worry, before she walked into the mansion.