InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ Season's Songs ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does “
(The Smiths)
 
 
 
Season's Songs
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
Kagome sighed as she sat in the Goshinboku. The leaves from the branches hid her form from the world. Her gray eyes traveled to the world past her shrine, the world she would never enter again. She could never enter the world of normal again because she was no longer normal. Another sigh escaped her lips and entered the cool air. Kagome never gave much thought to the consequences of entering the world again. She expected to live out the rest of her unnatural life with her family and their generations. Never had the thought of them being dead crossed her mind. She knew she would watch them die, she never knew that she would be denied one last hug or goodbye.
 
Her eyes narrowed in anger and sorrow. The gray in her eyes became more prominent as she let her thoughts wander. First, she had lost Inuyasha, then Kuronue, and then her only family. She could easily find Rin and Kichi's line, but they wouldn't remember or even know of her. All she had left was Souta and maybe some others if they were still living. Even though she had Souta, they were separated by centuries. Both had changed and grown up in their own ways. It was a strange feeling, the feeling of being alone and knowing it. She still had the season's to keep her company until she could fully rest in peace.
 
`I'm just like Kikyo,' Kagome thought, `neither living nor dead. I just exist.'
 
Souta had left to go to work before the sun rose. He worked at a coffee house in order to support himself. Kagome briefly wondered how her Ji-chan explained her disappearance. She had been gone about three years. Three years compared to the five hundred she spent locked away in the Tama. The Tama had gone dormant in order to save herself. She had used up all her ki and life ki when she created the realms. What remaining ki she had left she gave to the new ruler of Reikai. The Tama had summoned her back into it and put her in a state of rest in order for her to regain lost ki. She didn't wake up until Rin was two years into training.
 
Rin was twenty at the time Kagome had made the girl's wish come true. Kagome wondered if Rin's powers had truly been a gift. The return of the Tama, even though dormant and the new powers were a burden. The Tama had been left in the care of Shippo for a while until it was passed along. Two hundred years later and Shippo managed to breach the barriers. The Tama was passed along through the barriers never staying in one place for long. Fifty years ago the Tama was put into the hands of Kouga, after that it vanished until now.
 
Kagome smiled, she no longer needed the Tama as a resting place. She no longer needed a master. She stole what energy she could take from Koenma. Using the energy, she made her body the Tama and removed her chains. Kagome was now free to do what she wanted. She turned her eyes to the bottom of the steps and watched the boy known as Suiichi stop at the Torii. His emerald eyes strayed over to the tree. She froze knowing that he could see or sense her. There was something strange and familiar about this human.
 
Suiichi was nervous, just because he was Youko Kurama in a previous life didn't mean he had no fear. He was no longer a true youkai. He was a mortal now. Memories of Kagome were vague, but he did remember her vow to kill Youko. Being assigned to watch her made him tense up. She was a being of power that had centuries to grow stronger. She had managed many feats; Kurama felt that she would have no problem killing him. The right type of wound and he would fall into darkness. Kurama's curiosity got the better of him in the end. He wanted to find out if it was truly the same Kagome and he wanted to know how strong she was.
 
“Are you going to stand there all day?” Kagome's cold voice asked. Kurama blinked and kept his gaze on the tree.
 
“I've been sent by-”
 
“I know why you've been sent and I couldn't care less. So if you don't mind, leave,” Kagome uncaringly ordered. Kurama's eyes narrowed as he stepped closer to the tree.
 
“You may not like the fact I'm here,” Kurama began, “but deal with it. I have to keep you under surveillance whether you like it or not.”
 
Kagome's soft laughter reached his ears. He noticed a few leaves move and watched as she gracefully landed on the ground. Her appearance hadn't changed at all over the years. Kurama stood his ground as she stalked over to him. Her eyes held a predatory glint in them. He wondered if she would attack him.
 
“If you choose to keep me under `surveillance' then I want nothing hidden. Everything will be done in the open,” Kagome warned. Kurama raised an eyebrow at her statement.
 
“Do you believe that I'll agree to that?” Kurama challenged.
 
“You will…because if you don't then you'll never get near me again,” Kagome simply stated.
 
`Still over confident,' Kurama thought. He reasoned in his mind that she was rightfully confident.
 
“Very well, but you will answer my questions,” Kurama bargained.
 
Kagome lightly chuckled at him before saying, “I'll only answer what I feel like.”
 
Kurama nodded knowing that no amount of power would sway her. He wondered how much power it would take to beat her. She had been the one to separate the realms and create some of Makai's most dangerous plants. He noticed a look of concentration cross her face before she smiled at him.
 
“Would you like some tea?” Kagome asked. He stared at her in suspicion; he had a right to wonder if it was poisoned. “I won't poison it.”
 
“No thanks,” Kurama awkwardly declined.
 
“Then come into my shrine,” Kagome offered with a grin.
 
“Ladies first,” he politely offered.
 
There was no way he let her be near his back. Kagome softly chuckled as if she heard his thoughts. He scanned his memories of her and remembered nothing of her being psychic. Kagome carelessly shrugged her shoulders and walked ahead of him. Suiichi noticed that she didn't really step on the ground. Her toes would lightly touch and she would float to the next step. The sound of a creaking door brought him back to reality. Kagome stepped inside the house and sat down on the couch. Suiichi took off his shoes and sat across from her. Kagome grinned; she was going to have some fun with the boy.
 
Kagome waived her hand in the air and the door clicked shut. Suiichi stared at the door from the corner his eye. He grinned; she wanted to make a game out of this. Kagome sighed and snapped her fingers. A teakettle and two cups were on the table in front of them. Kagome offered him the tea and he shook his head. Kagome shrugged and silently sipped the tea. Suiichi patiently waited for her to finish her sip.
 
“Are you going to ask a question?” Kagome calmly asked.
 
“You're allowing me to ask first?” Suiichi asked in a bit of shock.
 
“Unlike you, I have eternity to wait,” Kagome coldly reminded.
 
“Are you the Miko of Legends?” Suiichi asked.
 
“They're calling me the Miko of Legends?” Kagome asked in surprise. “That makes me sound old.”
 
“Are you?” Suiichi asked again.
 
“I am the Miko of the Tama, I am the Miko of Legends, or you can just call me Kagome. Yes, I am that Miko,” Kagome said in a bored voice.
 
`She is the one that loved Kuronue and tried to kill me,' Suiichi processed.
 
“Do you have any questions?” Suiichi asked.
 
“None that a human could answer,” Kagome mumbled with a yawn. Suiichi wondered if he should have been offended.
 
“What are you doing awake from the Tama?” Suiichi asked. Kagome's eyes narrowed as she thought this over.
 
“This is something that will be revealed over time,” Kagome assured as she thought of her mother and grandfather's strange death, the missing ashes of Inuyasha, and the need to have revenge against Youko.
 
“So you seek revenge on Youko?” Suiichi asked. Kagome turned her gaze to him and smirked.
 
“Maybe,” Kagome whispered.
 
“Maybe?” Suiichi questioned.
 
“I've had time to think and some things have changed, but I will not miss the chance to beat Youko,” Kagome tried to explain.
 
“So it's not an act of revenge anymore?” Suiichi asked in confusion.
 
“Oh, I've had my revenge by killing off his true form. I just want to beat his ass for fun,” Kagome happily answered.
 
`Strange,' Suiichi thought.
 
“I know you have something you want to ask…so ask it,” Kagome sharply said.
 
“There is nothing I wish to ask,” Suiichi firmly said.
 
“Don't you wish to know about my connection to Koenma, why I have no need for a master, or do you wish to ask about…something more personal?” Kagome queried with a bit of annoyance.
 
“You're quite snippy,” Suiichi bluntly stated.
 
“Snippy?” Kagome pondered the word. “Not the word I use to describe me.”
 
“What word would you use?” Suiichi asked.
 
“I'd use conflicted,” Kagome simply said as she sipped her tea.
 
“Conflicted?” Suiichi repeated in question.
 
“It's not easy being powerful,” Kagome sighed.
 
“I imagine so,” Suiichi dryly agreed.
 
“Seriously, power can drive you to the point of madness,” Kagome whispered. She remembered her time with the spear and fighting Youko.
 
“So why aren't you crazed?” Suiichi questioned.
 
“Maybe I am crazed and we don't know it?” Kagome tried to tease. Suiichi frowned at her answer.
 
“That would be…unlikely,” Suiichi sighed.
 
“Unlikely, but possible,” Kagome mumbled.
 
“You know how to make one feel comfortable,” Suiichi stated with a smile.
 
“Aren't you supposed to be in school?” Kagome asked.
 
“Maybe,” Suiichi commented.
 
“So why did Koenma send you and not one of the others?” Kagome inquired.
 
“Not a clue,” Suiichi answered.
 
“Maybe I should pay him a visit, he is like family to me,” Kagome pondered.
 
“Like family?” Suiichi questioned.
 
“I created his father from my own energy, I guess he would be somehow related to me,” Kagome tried to explain.
 
Suiichi raised an eyebrow at her comment. He supposed that the little spirit prince would be related to her. Kagome finished her tea and set the cup down on the table. She wondered if Suiichi would take her to see her relative. Raising a delicate black eyebrow at him, she let her gaze question him.
 
“Would you harm him?” Suiichi questioned. Kagome threw her head back and lightly laughed at the question.
 
“If I wanted him harmed or dead…then it would already be,” Kagome smoothly answered.
 
“Comforting,” Suiichi dryly commented.
 
“And it should be,” Kagome lightheartedly scolded.
 
“I was being sarcastic,” Suiichi sighed.
 
“I know,” Kagome snapped at him.
 
Kagome sighed as she snapped her fingers. The teacups and pot vanished from the table. Kagome stood up and dusted her hands off before she smiled at Suiichi. She walked into the kitchen and pulled a notepad out. She made a quick note to Souta and smirked at the fact she could still write. Suiichi was still in the same spot. Kagome rolled her eyes; the boy seemed boring. Kagome held her hand out to him and he questioningly looked at her.
 
“I'm not going to wait all day,” Kagome irately said.
 
“For what?” Suiichi asked.
 
Kagome growled, reached out, and grabbed his hand. She heard his protest and watched as his cheeks turned pink. Kagome rolled her eyes and with a blink of her eyes, they vanished.