InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Life's Prison: How Soon is Now ❯ And I Have Loved ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“I am the son
And the heir
Of a shyness that is criminally vulgar”
(The Smith)
 
 
 
And I Have Loved
 
 
 
 
“Talking”
 
`Thinking'
 
Memories
 
Stressed
 
 
 
 
King Enma sat back in his chair as he glared at lady death. If looks could kill Botan would be dead again. He ran a large red hand through his black beard as he thought of proper punishment. She hadn't been able to stop his plans but the thought that she dared defy him was enough to merit punishment. He slammed his fist down in frustration and noticed her grip on the oar became tighter. A grin spread across his face as he turned his gaze away. Botan was truly afraid of what would happen. He was pleased, but fear was the only beginning.
 
“You tried to defy me,” Enma pointed coldly out. Botan dared not speak up; she didn't want to anger him more.
 
“If my plans were hindered then you would already be extinguished,” Enma informed her.
 
Botan bit back the tears. If it was to protect Koenma then she had no problem defying him. Botan's pink eyes glared at the floor as her sky blue bangs covered them effectively, she would keep silent.
 
“Do you have anything to say?” Enma growled.
 
“Nothing without adding more punishment,” Botan submissively announced.
 
“Feel free to speak because your punishment is already set,” Enma offered with an amused look.
 
“Is bringing this Miko back worth your son's life?” Botan snapped as she glared at him.
 
“Yes,” Enma simply answered.
 
“Why?” Botan whispered.
 
“She is far behind something you can comprehend,” Enma evenly said as he glared at the ferry girl.
 
A flash of ki entered the room and Enma turned his black gaze up to the door. The black beard upon his face hid his smile. Botan turned around and glared at the woman who suddenly appeared. Botan's orbs turned to Suiichi who looked a bit pale and ready to hurl.
 
“It's so nice that everyone thinks I'm better then them,” Kagome said with a bow.
 
“I did not expect you to appear here so soon,” Enma honestly said.
 
“Neither did I, but Koenma was still out cold,” Kagome idly said.
 
Kagome turned her gaze to Botan and smiled. Her smile turned to a frown when the girl looked away with a scowl. Enma smirked down at the girl before he turned his gaze to Kagome. Kagome was surprised to be holding all his attention. The creature or god she made for Reikai turned out to be a giant in her opinion. Her gaze turned to Suiichi who was regaining some color.
 
“I was just about to punish this girl for disobedience…care to help?” Enma asked with a smirk.
 
Botan paled, her fate was left in the hands of the being that she tired to knock out with her oar and recently scowled at. Kagome walked over to the tall desk and jumped on top of it. Her gray gaze traveled down to Botan and she frowned at the girl. Kagome focused on the girl and sighed at her luck. She couldn't punish someone for trying to protect the one they loved. Kagome sat at the edge of the desk and could see Suiichi's emerald gaze upon her. They were all waiting for her decision. Kagome felt like this decision could determine something.
 
“Enma, I created you to be ruler,” Kagome carefully began, “I can't decide her fate.”
 
“But she has attacked you,” Enma pointed out. Kagome sighed; it was always hard to explain human emotions to those that are not human.
 
“I don't feel pity for her, but I can relate to her,” Kagome said. Botan's eyes widened in hope and confusion.
 
“All you have to do is name the punishment,” Enma growled. His patience was wearing thin.
 
“Fine,” Kagome huffed.
 
Suiichi couldn't understand why she was being so hesitant over a punishment. She wasn't hesitant when she cursed him and attempted to kill him. Kagome stood up and glared at Botan. She wasn't mad at Botan, she was mad at what she had to do.
 
“I revoke all spiritual abilities for one week, you will remain as a simple soul in Koenma's office,” Kagome firmly said.
 
“You are to light on her,” Enma tried to argue.
 
Botan was still tense, but partly relieved for Kagome's interference. Suiichi watched as Kagome turned her cold stare to Enma. It would be amusing if the situation weren't so dangerous. Kagome was only about the size of Enma's pen. Kagome placed her hands on her hips and gazed at him. The Sakura blossoms petals on her forehead swiftly changed to black. Her personality seemed to be unstable as her powers, no matter how much control she displayed.
 
“Are disagreeing with me?” Kagome calmly asked. There was a hidden meaning behind the words. Botan froze as she heard Kagome's deadly, but calm voice. Enma glared down at the woman before him as she defiantly glared at him.
 
“You know…”
 
“No Enma, I don't know…please enlighten me,” Kagome held back the growl.
 
“She must properly be punished!” Enma yelled at her.
 
“My decision is final…there is no more room for argument!” Kagome yelled at him.
 
Suiichi took a step forward as the giant hand slammed inches away from Kagome's frail body. Kagome stood her ground as she stared up into his angry eyes. Her own anger was rising from within her soul. She didn't want to torture the girl for protecting something she cared about. Kagome let out a low growl knowing what this was about.
 
“You still think like a human,” Enma had said what she had been thinking.
 
“You are quick to forget that I am still a bit human,” Kagome sharply reminded.
 
Enma let out a laugh that shook the room. Kagome's face turned stoic as the Sakura blossom became a normal pink. Enma put his arms on the desk and locked his hands together. Kagome was trapped in circle of arms. Suiichi and Botan couldn't see her and both were surprised at the worry they felt. Enma leaned down so his face was inches away from Kagome's body.
 
“And you are quick to forget that you haven't been human for over five hundred years,” Enma coldly whispered. Suiichi and Botan still heard the words.
 
“Just because I am not human doesn't mean I'm heartless,” Kagome sternly said.
 
“This punishment is not a matter of the heart. She defied an order and therefore deserves harsher treatment,” Enma changed the subject.
 
“I know that…that is why there is another punishment,” Kagome stated with a smirk.
 
Enma unclasped his hands and gave Kagome the feeling of freedom back. Kagome didn't run a hand through her hair; it would show she was nervous or guilty. She turned to Botan and glared at the girl before her. Suiichi tensed, the glare was the same one he had received when she first arrived back from Yomi. Enma smirked in delight; the energy that had created him was all the energy from her anger, judgment, and justification. He delighted in the fact that her anger was returning; they needed a new god of vengeance.
 
“Lady Death called Botan I add a promise to your sentence,” Kagome coldly began. Kagome watched the girl writhe with fear. The feeling of fear was intoxicating. “Know that if you disobey another direct order from Enma that you will be sentenced to permanent termination.”
 
Suiichi's eyes widened as Kagome stood there cold and uncaring. Permanent termination was a way of nicely saying I'll make sure you remain dead. Kagome turned her head to stare at Enma. He nodded his approval and smiled. Enma saw her as his creator and felt that she should be as cold and uncaring as she was now. Her power was a force that could be reckoned with if he could get her to think as a Youkai or god.
 
“There is hope in removing your humanity,” Enma praised.
 
“As for you King Enma, if you question my punishment again, I will not be as forgiving,” Kagome hissed before she jumped off the desk.
 
Kagome stopped at Botan's side and motioned her to leave the office. Botan left without question before disappearing in step. Kagome slammed the office door open and a part of the ceiling fell to the floor.
 
“Come Kurama!” Kagome hissed as her eyes flashed in annoyance.
 
Suiichi froze in mid-step as he realized what she called him. Her gaze turned to his and she frowned. Suiichi figured it was in his best interest to follow her. Kagome roughly opened a portal this time and pulled them through it. Koenma was sitting at his desk with an ice pack to his head. Koenma turned his brown eyes to her as he tensed. Kagome walked over to Koenma's desk and glared at him. Taking a deep breath, she calmed down and smiled at him.
 
“Hello…”
 
“Just call me Kagome,” Kagome interrupted.
 
“What do you need?” Koenma hesitantly asked.
 
“Not more energy,” Kagome joked.
 
“I hope not…wasn't there a nicer way of stealing energy?” Koenma mumbled.
 
Kagome smiled and walked around the desk. She pinched his cheek with a teasing smile.
 
“You're so cute and chubby as a baby,” Kagome happily mocked.
 
“What did you come here for?” Koenma demanded and added, “I'm not chubby.”
 
“I came to warn you that your ferry girl is now a simple soul for a week and is on my death list if she disobeys Enma again,” Kagome said in one breathe.
 
“Anything else?” Koenma asked.
 
“Have there been any missing souls lately?” Kagome asked. Koenma tensed and began to suck on his pacifier a bit harder.
 
“What makes you ask that?” Koenma tried to bid time.
 
“Inuyasha's ashes are gone,” Kagome coldly said.
 
“Well…you know about time…and…”
 
“Koenma, if you tell me now then I won't turn you into a fetus,” Kagome growled.
 
“Inuyasha's soul was getting ready for reincarnation a few days ago and then he just vanished,” Koenma quickly said.
 
Vanished? How do you just vanish?!” Kagome screamed.
 
“We've searched all the realms and haven't been able to find him,” Koenma quickly said.
 
Suiichi watched as her face turned red and she went perfectly calm in the face. Her eyes still held a bit of anger. Suiichi wondered if she was getting ready to kill the young prince. Kagome let out a bitter laugh as she leaned forward. She made she was close enough to Koenma's ear; she didn't want Suiichi to hear.
 
“Your father has defied me…I hope that we can be allies and help each other out,” Kagome whispered.
 
“What do you propose?” Koenma asked.
 
“A simple exchange and deal,” Kagome whispered.
 
“What type?” Koenma suspiciously asked.
 
“A life for a life,” Kagome grinned. “Remember that Botan is on my death list, but I'm sure that could be remedied.”
 
Suiichi narrowed his eyes as he watched the tiny spirit ruler pale and then look around nervously.
 
“Are you speaking of a rebellion?” Koenma hissed.
 
“NO!” Kagome yelled. “I speak of a favor and protection.”
 
“What do you want?” Koenma asked.
 
“I will reveal what I want in time, but I could offer you and Botan safety from Enma. I know your feelings of her,” Kagome tested her theory out.
 
“Tell me what you want and I'll think about it,” Koenma demanded.
 
“I want the soul of my love back,” Kagome said out loud. Suiichi raised an eyebrow.
 
“I can't bring back the soul without a body,” Koenma warned.
 
“I can bring back the body, but not the soul,” Kagome stated. Koenma's eyes widened in perfect understanding of her situation.
 
“What else would I get out of this alliance?” Koenma asked. Kagome smiled as she thought about it. It was so easy to play on other's emotions. She wouldn't just use others without giving something in return.
 
“I could give you enough power to hold your teenager form permanently,” Kagome offered.
 
“That doesn't seem like much,” Koenma sighed and Kagome grinned. The boy wasn't as stupid as he looked.
 
“Any act against you would be an act against me,” Kagome assured. Koenma tensed in shock, she offered a strong bond. His enemies would be hers. That meant that she would defy his father if it came down to it.
 
“And all you want is that soul?” Koenma assured.
 
“That is all I want,” Kagome assured.
 
“What if the soul's reincarnated,” Koenma asked.
 
“It won't be, and I would also like the access to some other souls,” Kagome softly said.
 
“Just access?” Koenma assured.
 
“I just want to talk freely with them,” Kagome reaffirmed.
 
Koenma held his hand out to shake and Kagome shook her head no. He raised an eyebrow in confusion.
 
“This deal is means a lot to me, so I will give you my seal of protection along with Botan,” Kagome smiled.
 
Suiichi watched in interest as Koenma shrugged. Everything she did was for love, it seem Koenma did harbor feelings for the ferry girl. Kagome picked up a letter opener and pricked her finger. She took Koenma's hand and let a drop of blood touch is palm. Koenma tried to pull his hand away as a burning sensation spread through him. His brown eyes watched in interest as the symbol upon her forehead appeared on his palm. The flowers were a soft pink and she released his arm. Kagome smiled and watched as he glowed a soft white. He quickly changed to his teenager form.
 
“Wow,” Koenma whispered as he looked at his hands. He didn't feel his energy being drained like usual.
 
“I must get back to my shrine,” Kagome said as she opened another portal.
 
“What about Botan?” Koenma quickly asked.
 
“She will serve her punishment as a regular soul…but she has my protection and no longer a death wish,” Kagome assured.
 
 
 
Author's Note: