InuYasha Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Blue Anshan ❯ Everything Changes 2 - Theatrics ( Chapter 39 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

The Blue Anshan

By Alesyira

Disclaimer: Inuyasha and Yu Yu Hakusho are not mine. I made a few OCs to fill in my gaps.

Summary: Sometimes the best offense is a good defense, or if you're a kitsune, a lot of theatrics and misdirection

Chapter Rating: T

Arc 5 - Everything Changes 2 - Theatrics

The avatar stared in disbelief at the glowing tree. The old kitsune spirit was equally in awe, but for a far different reason.

~I've seen this before…~ Youko sounded unsure.

'Déjà vu?'

He glanced over to watch the others dash to the east out of the clearing, the flaming blue foxfire rippling outwards as evidence of their safe passage through the protective barrier.

~I have a few questions for this one, if you don't mind me taking the reins for a bit.~ Kurama shrugged. "Interesting coincidence meeting you in this place, cousin."

Shippo made a small sound of agreement, but otherwise remained focused on reinforcing his illusion. He would have preferred to do this portion without prying eyes, but one witness that knew him was probably better than a crowd of witnesses that didn't, and so he moved quickly before any others arrived. "I should have remembered you'd be here. The new body suits you," he remarked offhandedly.

'Cousin?'

~Long story, more later. Shippo. He hasn't grown much since I saw him last, but he is a bundle of mysteries I couldn't quite unravel while we traveled. His answers never made any sense.~

Kurama smiled. "You know as well as I do that bad things can happen to the best of us, and we do what we must to survive."

Shippo spared him a glance before he knelt to slide his fingertips across a glowing tree root, pulling the sweet burn of her energy into his hand. His entire body shuddered in recognition of Kagome's magic and he had to force his thoughts away from how nice it would feel to roll around amongst the softly illuminated clearing and revel in the presence of so much of her.

'You don't think he's related to that kitsune adolescent we saw in the vine's images, do you?'

~Maybe. There's some similarity. He could have had dozens of children since I last saw him. It's been centuries.~

Shippo's fingers wove an intricate pattern through the air before he clasped his palms together and closed his eyes to focus the swelling magic. His attention locked first on his barrier of foxfire, threading a large portion of what he'd collected into its structure, and he felt it gain substance and shimmer as the flames were simultaneously strengthened and overpowered by her purity. It was as close to a miko's barrier as he'd be able to fake, and no one within a thousand miles of their location (except for Kagome) would be able to tell the difference.

He turned the remaining portion of the borrowed power toward his illusion of a twirling shrine maiden apparition, and watched through his eyelashes as her form became more solid, glowing with the gentle pink of holy magic.

"Why the illusion?" Kurama asked quietly.

Shippo's lips curled in an indulgent smile as he watched his illusion dance. "Theatrics and misdirection. Those who do not know her will think she's a target within the barrier instead of seeking beyond it. Those who knew her know better."

He sensed others drawing close enough to hear, and his voice rose in both solemn warning and invitation. "The miko of legend has returned to save her god tree! Those of you who knew her, know that if their hearts are pure they are welcome in this holy place! Spread word! Rejoice, that the cruelty of flame has been driven away!"

Youko rolled his eyes. ~Theatrics, that's for sure. But a miko? Surely not. Those haven't been active since the split, and certainly not in Makai, ever.~

Shippo turned slightly to face his cousin of occasionally questionable moral standing and smirked. "Everyone knows you don't always have your heart in the right place, so might wanna scram before they think I'm lying."

"Are you lying?"

A youkai that didn't heed the warning attempted to cross the barrier and screamed in pain as its paw dissolved into ash.

Shippo chuckled darkly, ignoring the howling of the injured youkai as he glanced toward where the others had disappeared. "No." He hadn't seen Youko in a long time, but he remembered the strength of the kitsune's curiosity mixed with stubborn pride. He could easily see that his older cousin wouldn't budge without some answers. He'd give him one. "Keep Kagome safe; she's my favorite person. I'll catch up as soon as I can. We can talk then."

Youko was surprised to hear this declaration. He had helped Shippo a very long time ago with a task involving his 'favorite person'. He turned his gaze back to the glowing pink tree and the memory clicked into place. But it seemed highly unlikely that this was the same being. He shifted his gaze back to his cousin to watch him carefully.

Shippo had started pacing the edge of the clearing, charging small objects with the deadly magic Youko could feel saturating the tree. He set them along the barrier to reinforce its structure, and the forest around them sang out in pleasure at the harmonious mix of the kitsune's youki and the girl's purity. ~This is impossible.~

"She has returned?" An old youkai crept through the trees, a hopeful expression on her face. "Kami, she has saved our tree." She stepped fearlessly through the shimmering barrier with tears dripping from her eyes. "That bastard - did she kill him?"

Shippo paused his work to come to her side and held her trembling fingers in his own. "No, he has escaped. I will finish reinforcing the barrier and then I will join the hunt. Stay and be welcome."

She turned her tremulous gaze up to his face and patted his cheek in thanks before kneeling at the glowing roots of the Goshinboku. Her hands clasped before her in reverence as she stared up at the heavily damaged branches above them.

Kurama was starting to think that getting answers out of the strange avatar girl might be easier than prying them from his cousin, unless they started talking more openly once they were together again. "You'll be along shortly, then?"

"I'm wasting my time talking to you when I could be finishing this," Shippo scowled at him. "I'd much rather be reuniting properly." His smile was blindingly fierce.

'Favorite person? What kind of relationship is that, again?' Youko mentally shrugged in response. It hadn't sounded that serious when it had last come up hundreds of years ago, but time can change so much.

More questions were popping up the longer he stood in this clearing of impossibilities, so with one last lingering glance at his strange little cousin, he followed the trail left by the others. The girl would undoubtedly have more clues to decipher, now that they'd seen her true colors.