InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 13 Ways to Kinda Say I Like You ❯ 2, Write it Like it is ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

First thanks go to kmf-chan! Arigatou for the idea! C-Chan, you weren't the first to review, but your comment was so classic it's going in! Recently in a World Lit class, I had the pleasure of reading the Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki for the first time. It was a wonderful book and one of the chapters delt with how Genji and one of his many conquests exchanged a Haiku Diary book...sorta... well, you get the idea. But many still believe that the great Haiku poets, like Bassho wrote poems more beautiful than Shakespeare. Well, please tell me what you think! If you like it, please leave feedback. Love you all! I own no one, they only live under my bed, stunned by the fact that Inuyasha is going to be on Cartoon Network's Toonami.

Dear Diary,

I mustn't give up, I mustn't give up! I MUSTN'T GIVE UP! After the mittens, I didn't think that I could do much worse. Usually, what I did wouldn't have been a problem...but I guess that I overdid it a bit...BUT! It's all good! I'm only through chapter 2, there are eleven more to go and I'm sure that the author had to put some of the simpler things in the front! I won't lose...at least he smiled at me...and he's still toting the mittens around with him. He keeps them in his sleeves and puts them on when he thinks no one is watching! More tomorrow, dear diary!

Kagome

From her safe place behind Kaede's hut, Kagome thumbed through the pages of her trusty love guide. The words of the acclaimed Nao Saotome were so simple, yet they spoke volumes to Kagome's young heart. When she thought about it...the answer was so simple. Kagome bit her lip...surely it would work. How better to tell someone you liked them than with words. And everyone knew that the best words in the world were the most simple. She nodded her head, determined and proud. She had read Genji in school...

Chapter 2, Write it Like it Is...

'Many people know that it takes lots of good communication for a relationship to work or even get off the ground for that matter. An age old method of telling someone that you care is by writing a love letter or love poem. My suggestion is a poem, simple words speak so much to the heart, more so than any lengthy letter. Take notes from the classics...some masters were able to write volumes about love and all its splendors. But when asked what the most important words in the world have been, most people will say that there were only three tiny words that changed their lives forever. Only eight letters, yet they have such power over the human heart. These words are the imortal, 'I love you.''

Clutched in her hand was an inkstick, a grind stone, a horse hair brush with soft bristles and a sheet of parchment paper. Kaede had handed all this over only shaking her head as Kagome explained her plan of attack. Inspired by the words in her book, she knew she could triumph over anything. Sitting down beside the hut, Inuyasha in plain sight napping in a tree, she began to write...

Ten minutes later, she understood why Haiku were so popular; they were next to impossible to write. No wonder there were so few popular Haiku authors...Kagome shifted through the sea of crumpled paper balls and began again. A cold breeze numbed her fingers...maybe the writing would be easier inside...her mind kept wandering to the fact that her hands were about to suffer from frost bite. No, she couldn't go inside, then everyone would know what was going on...then she'd have to giggle about it with Sango and deny all the comments from Miroku...no, it was deffinately better to stay out here. Tapping her head, she prayed that maybe her cold finger could bore into her uninspired mind and kick start her inspiration.

Above, Inuyasha rolled over on the tree branch, one hand slipping down to dangle in the cold wind. She felt her heart warm her chest, each beat carrying warmth and inspiration to her tired, cold limbs. On his hand were her torn, hand made, fuzzy, red mittens. His fingers stuck proudly through the holes his claws had made. The ice on her skin melted and each drop fused with the ink as Kagome finally found the words that were hidden deep in her heart.

Ice had found my heart,
Then you melted all the fears
By waving your hand.

Kagome grinned, her heart thumping in her chest as the sun set slowly below the mountains. The smell of hot food would wake him soon...she had to think of a way to get it to him before everyone else noticed...she needed a delivery service...and she knew just where to find one.

Inside the warm hut, Shippou sneezed as he helped the others cook dinner. Sango looked up as Miroku blew on the fire where Kaede-bachan was stirring the stew. "Shippou, if you're cold, get closer to the fire." She said softly to the kitsune.

Shippou ran a tiny hand under his nose... "Nah, I just sneezed for no reason..." He took a moment to think, shrugged his little shoulder and when back to practicing cooking the carrots with his foxfire attack. Suddenly, his little shoulders shook. "Woah...that felt like a premonition...." He thought to himself just before someone snatched him out the door by the back of his collar. He would have yelped, but a hand slapped firmly over his mouth before any sound escaped. The split second before he panicked completely, his abductor showed her face, turning his alarmed look into one of sheer adoration. "Kagome-chan!"

Smiling, Kagome cuddled the little kitsune to her chest and walked towards the tree. "Listen, Shippou-chan. I need you to do something for me, okay?" Kagome knew that the little fox would help her...it also didn't hurt that he couldn't read.

Shippou nodded, eyes as big as saucers. Wow, Kagome is coming to me for help! Me, not Inuyasha...He grinned, pride puffing out his chest and raising his chin.

Oh, he is just too cute, she thought to herself as she perched the kitsune on the lowest branch of the tree better known as Inuyasha's napping spot. Carefully, she pulled out the parchment with her poem on it, relishing the feel of the rough paper on her fingertips.

Without thinking of what she was doing, she swiftly touched her wind parched lips to the bottom of the poem before handing it and the inked brush to Shippou. "Okay, this is what I need you to do..." She leaned over and whispered conspriratorally in his ear. "Take this to Inuyasha...tell him it's from me and I want him to write me something back, okay?"

Shippou studied the paper, turning it this way and that. "What is it?" His eyes slid from the poem to Kagome's face.

Her cheeks pink from the nippy air, turned even redder. "Please just do it..." She placed a quick kiss on the top of the child's head when he nodded and started up the tree. Kagome watched until he was halfway up, then sprinted to her hiding spot beside the hut.


Inuyasha woke from a stange but oddly comforting dream about Kagome dressed in warm fuzzy stuff to find a pink transformed Shippou gnawing at his head. Annoyance flowed freely from the fist that bopped the fox youkai on the head. "Shippou..." He growled menacingly, ready to toss the kid out of the tree unless he was about to tell him the secrets of the universe, or something even more important, like dinner was finally ready.
Backing out of the hanyou's reach, Shippou thrust the paper and brush at him.

Raising an eyebrow, Inuyasha growled again and showed his teeth. If this was something stupid, so help him...

"It's from Kagome."

Oh, that was okay, then. He snatched the precious items away from the kitsune before the little runt burned them up with his damned fox fire. Turning the page over, he slowly read the short haiku. He narrowed his eyes, read it again then glared at Shippou. The confusion was plain on his face.

"She said to write her something back." He said, nose in the air. "When you're done, I'll take it to her and she'll send back another reply."

"Uh, why?"

Shippou blinked, it had never crossed his mind to second guess Kagome's motives. "Uh, I donno."

"Oh..." Inuyasha swung his legs down and straddled the tree branch. He quickly scribbled something down after a moment of thought and passed it to the messenger. Huge grin on his face, he sat back and watched as the child dissapeared around the corner of the hut.


Kagome's eye twitched...Inuyasha was making this unbelievably hard. Could he just be normal and write another poem to suppliment hers? Oh, no, not the Great and Almighty Inuyasha. On the paper was these lines. "Yo, Kagome, sorry you are cold, I don't remember waving at you, I was asleep...is dinner ready yet?"

She quickly wrote a reply and handing it back to Shippou told the child to explain that the first line needed five syllables, the second seven and the last, five again. He nodded, asked her to tell him one more time to make absolutely sure that he knew what to say and headed back to the tree.

"Oh..." Inuyasha actually listened as Shippou repeated the required formula for a haiku.

He read the paper...

Hair shines like silver,
Your gold eyes, the most precious
Treasure that I know...

Twirling the brush in his fingers, Inuayasha contemplated what he should write. In his mind he chanted the mantra five, seven, five over and over until he finally got it down on paper.

Shippou made another run from the tree to the hut...

Kagome growled...this wasn't good. She had half a mind to crumple up the paper...but sighed, and tried again. Inuyasha's poem took up most of half the paper:

My stomach's empty,
I see your forehead below,
Wow...it's so shiny.

Under the inspired, lyrical verse of Hanyou Inuyasha, a slightly perturbed Kagome tried again.

The hunger is vast
Deep rifts in my heart's valley
Filled by your smile.


Poor Shippou's feet were getting tired...he wished that Kagome had choosen a closer hiding place. He transformed and floated up to the hanyou, who at the moment resembled a little kid swinging his feet back and forth with a huge grin on his face. "Well, did she like that one?"

Shippou sighed, shook his head and passed him the newest poem.
He regarded it for a moment... "You know, Kagome's actually pretty good at this mushy 575 stuff." Biting his lip, he tried to make one as nice as hers. His competitive spirit flared with the challange.


Kagome sighed, resigned to the fact that this chapter in her book wasn't going to work either... She reread the poem again...at least this one had taken longer than two seconds to write.

As the sun sets low,
I can see your eyes like flames...

She stopped reading. Well, at least it had been romantic up until that point. Kagome briefly wondered it it would be fair to take the poem home and cut off the last line. If not for the final stanza, it would have been perfect...but no, in classic Inuyasha style, it had only taken a little to mess up something so sweet. Well, Nao Saotome had said that words were powerful...although, Kagome would have prefered the eight letter world shaker... She read the poem all the way to the end...

As the sun sets low,
I can see you eyes like flames...
that cook my dinner.


Kagome sighed and started to read chapter three....


Okay, same deal, first review gets an idea, phrase, item, etc. woven into the next chapter! Love you all, if you like please leave feedback. Darth Mer Mer