InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ 30 Shards of Jaken ❯ Relationship Woes ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Theme: Advice
 
Genre: General
 
Relationship Woes
 
 
“Look after Rin,” he'd said.
 
And with those three simple words, once again, Jaken was left to play baby-sitter while Sesshomaru got to have all the fun.
 
Or at least, that's the way Jaken looked at it. In reality, Sesshomaru wasn't having any fun at all; he was off battling some dangerous demons, and if Jaken had more sense, he would have realized that Sesshomaru had sent them away for his safety as much as Rin's.
 
But Jaken was sick of missing out on all the action. I can be quite the formidable fighter, too, he thought stubbornly, sitting on a log in a clearing in the woods. It's all Rin's fault. If that pesky girl weren't around, I'd be with Lord Sesshomaru now, showing him how useful I can be.
 
“Master Jaken? I'm hungry.”
 
Oh great. Jaken sighed. “Well, go take Ah-Un, and find yourself some food.”
 
“Okay!” Rin mounted Ah-Un, and soon they disappeared into the woods.
 
Finally, I can have some peace and quiet!
 
Jaken stared at his feet in the dirt, muttering to himself.
 
Suddenly, he heard some trees rustling nearby.
 
Well, that didn't take long. Jaken sighed again. “Back so soon, Rin?”
 
Someone burst into the clearing. Jaken gasped.
 
“You!”
 
It was a woman with a rather intimidating weapon slung across her back. She was out of breath; obviously she'd been running away from something—or someone. But Jaken didn't sense any fear in her—just anger—so he knew there wasn't any danger nearby.
 
“Aren't you one of Inuyasha's insipid human followers?”
 
After promptly bopping Jaken on the head, the woman sat down next to him on the log.
 
“My name is Sango, and I don't `follow' Inuyasha. I'm his friend. Aren't you Sesshomaru's little troll imp?”
 
“W-what?! I'm a toad, and I'm no one's imp! Humph! You have a lot of nerve for a human.”
 
“And you have a lot of pride for a patsy.”
 
They glared at each other. Jaken eyed her suspiciously.
 
“What are you doing here anyway?”
 
Sango put her head in her hands. Now it was her turn to sigh. “Oh, it's that damn Miroku. I caught him hitting on another woman, and I didn't feel like dealing with it. So I only knocked out one of his teeth, and then I ran off.”
 
“Miroku, hm? Oh, that's the monk with the cursed hand.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Humph, why do you even bother with him? You could do so much better.”
 
Sango almost fell off the log. “What?”
 
“Well, you're beautiful and tough—for a disgusting, weak human, I mean.”
 
Sango rolled her eyes. “Gee, thanks. That was almost a compliment.”
 
“But I've seen you follow that lecherous monk around. And he's not worth it. You're always there to back him up. And does he appreciate it? No! He's too busy finding fun on his own, going off with those other women. He ignores you! He thinks you'll just always be hanging around.”
 
Sango stared at her hands. “I . . . I never thought about it that way.”
 
“Humph. Well, take it from me. I've lived forever. And people like him are a waste of time. You'll spend the best years of your life on him. And you know where you'll end up? Hurt and alone. Like you are now.”
 
They were quiet for a long time then. Sango was lost in thought. Jaken had a smug smile on his face. Obviously the girl is coming to terms with how right I am. These kids today—they're so naïve and foolish.
 
“You're wrong, you know.”
 
Now it was Jaken's turn to almost fall off the log. “What?”
 
“You're wrong. Miroku's not like that. He may try to go off with other women, but he looks out for me. He protects me. He loves me. I know he'll always be there for me.”
 
Sango stood up to go. “This was just one silly little incident. In the long run, I know I can trust Miroku.”
 
She started disappearing into the woods. “Thanks, imp. If I hadn't run into you, I might not have realized that.”
 
Jaken sat there alone in the clearing, dumbstruck, pondering over Sango's words.
 
Soon Ah-Un appeared from the woods. Rin was on his back, sighing happily with a full stomach.
 
Jaken looked up. “Oh good, Rin, you're back!” He helped her down from Ah-Un.
 
“Wow, Master Jaken. What's gotten into you? I thought you were in a bad mood because Lord Sesshomaru left you behind.”
 
Jaken snorted. “Me, let a petty little thing like that get me down?”
 
He let out a laugh.
 
“Never.”