InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Breeder's World ❯ Quiet Conversations ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

*Authors note: Trains are magnetic meaning electricity is run through the tracks and the train to create a polar opposite allowing the trains to go really, really fast. I don't know all the specifics but you are welcome to look it up. I believe the top speed it something like 700 mph? Don't know for sure but I am assuming this is the case. If anyone wants to correct me, please feel welcome.*
 
~~~Inuyasha's P.O.V. ~~~
 
The day had gone from good to bad to a nightmare. This morning everything was coming together and he was looking forward to shopping with Kagome since before he hadn't understood money that well. When he reached his office he got to work on the trade agreements to hopefully boost his private companies. When he was almost done and getting ready to leave, an emergency call was received from his foreman and head of staff. Someone somewhere had missed processing a destination and hadn't realized it until the end, after some trains had already taken off. About 15 trains full of cargo his companies needed had been sent to the wrong factory. Since none of those 15 factories had anything in common they couldn't use any of the supplies on the trains. Leaving him with a headache on how to get them where they were supposed to be without messing up other trains in progress to somewhere else. It wouldn't do to have two engines trains be on the same track going opposite directions. A train wreck was not ever an easy thing to clean up not to mention the loss of life.
 
He couldn't shut down all trains until he got his where they were needed so they had to some how follow other trains and switch off carefully to the factories. Personally handling the situation was unnerving because one late switch and two trains could have collided. But he managed it and somehow got all the trains safely to their destination losing only an afternoon of work from his companies. Nerves frazzled by the intensity of the day he got his stuff together and started for his brother's home. He wanted to be close to Kagome so in the morning he could apologize for not taking her. At least his stuff had arrived finally and he gathered up his cell phone, sword, and brief case remembering to set his office phone to ring to his cell he walked out turning off the light as he went.
 
Glancing at the clock on the way out he saw that the time was close to 9 p.m. Groaning at the long day that he swore was more taxing then hunting for shards he rubbed his temples before dialing for a chair. Just as he was about to enter the western office building after crossing the middle park his phone rang. Praying to the kamis that this wasn't another disaster he answered.
 
“Hello?” even to himself his voice sounded weary.
 
“Good to see you have made it little brother.”
 
“Yeah, yeah fluffy I don't have time for your mouth. I am too tired to think of any come backs so what do you want?”
 
“Hn. It seems our little breeder had good taste in furniture. However, it seems she is already attracting trouble.” I stood a little straighter becoming slightly worried.
 
“Is she alright?”
 
“She is fine, only exhausted. Tell me is she used to using her powers with out a weapon to channel it through?”
 
“No. She hasn't that I know of. She didn't have the training to use her hands or anything. She only shot purification arrows in the past. Why do you ask?”
 
“It seems she can now. I am not sure what she used but she purified a 3/4 demon today. You might remember her, the one about a century ago that I had you come and see.” I thought hard and couldn't bring a face to mind.
 
“I can't remember. What was her name?”
 
“Kimi. She was mostly cat.” Now I remembered, she was the one I hadn't liked because she smelled like the candy Kagome used to bring Shippo, something called `pocky' that I had only recently understood. It was too painful and I said I hadn't liked her. She was also cat and dogs do not get along with them very easily.
 
“I remember. I said something along the lines that no cat should be apart of our house and if you didn't need me for something important I was leaving.”
 
“Yes. It seems she still had hopes of becoming out breeder. She attacked Kagome only to find herself purified to her human state until her youki builds back up. In compensation I took the pieces for her room. A loss of a little over 3 million yen ought to make her a little more respectful next time.” While I was upset that Kagome had been attacked, that she was able to protect herself made me feel a little better. Curious as to where my brother had taken her that her bedroom set would cost that much I had to ask.
 
“Where did you take her that her furniture was that expensive?”
 
“Only the best. `Rune Makers'.” I felt the shock go through my system. Rune Makers was thee most expensive place in the entire eastern lands. It had started by a little youkai named Rune. His youki had some kind of connection to wood and could grow any kind of bush or tree. He developed a process that strengthened the wood till it was almost like steel. His partner Kisho was an astounding artist and carver. Together they built up that store and became the richest small business owners in the Eastern lands if not the whole of Japan. I hadn't realized it was the same Kimi that had taken over sales that I had turned down. What a mess.
 
“I see. Well if she is alright then I guess its okay. Is she sleeping in her room then.” silence met me. I couldn't figure out why he didn't confirm my guess unless she went home again.
 
“She didn't go home to her mom did she?”
 
“No.”
 
“Then is she sleeping in her room?” again silence.
 
“Do I have to guess where she is sleeping?” I tried to make it a joke but I only received silence.
 
“Where is she then Sesshoumaru?” I was getting upset. I was almost to the home floor. I heard him sigh which was unusual. Finally he spoke.
 
“She had chosen her bed but fell asleep on this Sesshoumaru before we could get a mattress. She is sleeping in my room as we speak. I thought perhaps to place her in yours but though your bed and furniture are there it seems you forgot to order any sheets and blankets for it, so it remains bare.” I had just stepped off the elevator as he finished and left me paralyzed in shock that fluffy would give up his own bed for a human. Sure he had gotten more used to humans and had agreed to take a human breeder but this was out of character for him. `Especially since his room was beside his replica of Rin's garden. He had never brought any female up there and I had only seen it because I snuck up there.'
 
“I'll be in your office in a minute Sess. bye.” and I hung up still not quite believing my ears.
 
When I reached his office door and opened it I saw him sitting at his desk as if nothing monumental was going on. I walked to a chair opposite of him and sat down. He was typing away at something probably involving the breeder program. I was curious however, when I noticed the change in his youki. It felt calmer then I had felt in a long time. We both had a lot of stress and it kept a constant buzz going around us. But it wasn't there.
 
“Sesshoumaru what happened to you?” He turned toward me with a raised brow.
 
“I mean your youki is so calm. I haven't felt it like this in a long time.” Nodding his head he replied. “The little miko some how used her powers after her surgery to calm this Sesshoumaru. How this was possible I don't know. The youkai inside is content and resting for the first time in at least a century. Allowing me to work unhindered and clear headed. In the brief time since she went to sleep I have accomplished more then I usually do in half a day. If I work through the night it will seem as if I never left.”
 
“But you have already been up since yesterdays do you think it wise?”
 
“I have a higher endurance then you little brother. One more night will not harm me. Unless of course you wish me to sleep beside the miko?” An audible growl was instantly heard. “I thought as much. Just remember that she belongs to us not just you.”
 
I knew he was right but I had waited for so long it didn't seem quiet fair to have to share her. I could have taken her as my mate but then her duty to the city would have made her carry other people's children. I knew she couldn't bear that so becoming a house breeder was the only way. I stopped growling and sighed. Rubbing my temples again I asked, “Could I see her then?”
 
He typed for a bit longer before answering. “When I am done we will go and see her. Sit back for awhile I won't be long.” I waited for him to finish knowing that even I wasn't allowed in his sanctuary without him. It was still surprising that he allowed her in there.
 
I miss Rin, she was a good woman for being my brother's brat. I could still remember her pulling my ears every time I cussed in her presence. She couldn't sit me like Kagome could but it was as effective since my ears are so sensitive. She was the only one I allowed to get away with that and for it I learned how to keep from cussing even if I wanted to. She accomplished something Kagome hadn't and my brother couldn't, she taught me manners. I had no use for them until I became the adopted heir of the East and then I was surrounded by aristocrats like my brother and had to learn how to deal with them. I had thought my brother bastard when it came to insults and the like but some of them could only be described as vile!
 
“Let's go Inuyasha.” Sesshoumaru's voice brought me out of my thoughts. I got up and followed him to the elevator and to the stairs leading to his room. His garden was always a pleasure to see and smell. Taking a deep breath I tried to relax in the night air and the garden as we approached his door.
 
It slid back soundlessly and I looked upon my angel. She had pulled the blankets into a cocoon of warmth and her nose just peeked above the covers. Her hair spilled across the pillows being longer then I remembered. She looked so content as I went over and leaned across then bed. I smiled down at her before kissing her forehead and moving away. I missed her look of being confused since I was getting up.
 
“As you can see she is fine.” my brother said.
 
“I never doubted that you could take care of her. I just was worried.”
 
“Yes, she worried me today to.” I was shocked at his open admission to caring.
 
“Should we get her some training?”
 
“Yes, but later we have much to accomplish still in the next few days. I did not push her today for she will need her sleep.” the concern in his voice prompted me next question.
 
“Do you like her Sesshoumaru?”
 
“I respect her brother. For she stood by you in the past even against me. She stood up again today against someone who wanted her place. I realized today that it was her that Rin choose to model herself after. She belongs here with us, for only we know her history and what she has done for everyone.” a slight pause as if he was considering continuing or not, “She will make a good mother despite her tendencies to be annoying and hot tempered. She cares for you, why I could never figure out but if she can care for you then maybe she will come to care for me.” He voice was soft and the most vulnerable I have ever heard from him.
 
I knew my brother had been lonely as a kid. He had been born in a litter as was typical for dog youkai but something had happened that he never spoke of. I remember servants still gossiping about it but never exactly what happened. Father had been abnormally hard on him and his training but he let me play to my hearts content. I never understood and I still didn't that some how father had alienated Sesshoumaru from everyone. He allowed no one close to him not even me, not even now. Yes, he needed someone that cared about him that didn't care about his title. And I knew Kagome would care for him in some way. She would be having both of our children and need his help. I couldn't see her not caring for him.
 
“She will in time Sesshoumaru. I do not know how much or how deep, but she will. She's like that. Somehow without you noticing she gets under your skin and into your heart. And what you might feel for her is nothing to what she will give you. She loved me, as myself, a half-demon when it was all but law to kill youkai like me and I know she still feels the same. It took me a long time to realize the kind of love she offered. She cared nothing about what I had done in the past. The demons and humans I had to kill to survive. She accepted me for who I was and showed me a love that was comforting, all encompassing, and all forgiving. I was lucky to have met her and luckier that she loves a worthless bastard like me. But it doesn't matter to her; she sees everyone's true heart and soul given time. I know you may hate it Sess but you do have a good heart and she will see that.” I stood up and went downstairs to find a few extra sheets for the night leaving my brother leaning against his wall in thought.
 
~~~Sesshoumaru's P.O.V. ~~~
 
I had thought to scoff at my brothers words but somewhere in my mind I knew what he said was true. It was her that convinced my brother and her friends to join with me in the final pursuit of Naraku. When I had entered the clearing where they were camping she was the first to notice me. Our eyes had locked for only a brief moment but something I had denied at the time had happened. I remember her eyes widening and then she quickly glanced at Rin when she had said hello. Her head had tilted to the side and said quietly `sit' when my brother made a move to attack. She had approached me alone and unarmed to bring Rin to her side and walked back asking Rin if she wanted anything to eat, to which she had happily agreed. It was a mystery to me how she had known I wasn't there to fight. It had unnerved me then but everything was quickly settled with her intervention and me being allowed to speak. The journey had only been about a fortnight but in that time she had come to speak to me daily though I rarely responded. It was her attitude towards me that baffled me. Living all these years had led to only one conclusion my brother in this instance was correct and that gave me hope.
 
“Maybe little brother” I said quietly looking out the window and through the solar panels to the slightly blurred moon. “Maybe.”
 
 
~~~Author's P.O.V.~~~
 
Both demons had been so busy talking that they had missed something important. Kagome had awakened when Inuyasha had kissed her forehead.
 
 
 
 
 
~~~Kagome's P.O.V.~~~
 
I had been sleeping soundly when I felt something on my forehead. I awoke slightly dazed to the voices of Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. I stayed quiet listening to them and had to burrow my head a little to hide my glowing cheeks at their words. But what set my heart jumping was after Inuyasha had left and I heard Sesshoumaru mumbled quietly, “Maybe.” I knew I cared for him in some small way but what Inuyasha said made it seem like he needed love not only caring. I wasn't sure what had put that sorrowful note in Inuyasha's voice whether the thought of me loving them both or something about the past but I was resolved to find out.