InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Delightful Surprise ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“I don’t know, Inuyasha,” Kagome said. She looked over at him as he sat on her bed, his smile had slipped from his face and was now replaced be a confused scowl.



“Inuyasha, being a waiter is hard work. You have to deal with lot’s of people and take orders and be polite. I don’t think you could handle it,” She said, biting her bottom lip pensively. Inuyasha just huffed, and folded his arms across his chest.



“I could to handle it. I can be polite when I need to be,” He retorted sulkily. Kagome smiled at him, and went to sit beside him.



“I have no doubt that you have it in you. But Inuyasha… what if something happens and you lose your temper and do something rash. Sometimes people aren’t always that nice, I don’t want you to have to-”. He cut her off by shaking his head.



“I’ve dealt with cruel people my whole life. I know how to deal with it, and I won’t lose my temper. I want to do this, Kagome. I want to help you pay for things and I want to get adjusted to life in this time. I don’t want to depend on you forever… Kagome please, just let me do this”. He looked at her with pleading golden orbs, and Kagome just sighed.



“Fine, but if anything happens I’m making you quit. No arguments,” She told him. He nodded, and she sighed again.



“All right, let’s say we have some dinner”.










It was Inuyasha’s first day on the job, and so far it was simple enough.



“So how’s it going?,” Sara questioned as the silver haired youth came to stand beside her. He shrugged his shoulders in an offhanded way before slumping off into the kitchen.



“What’s the order?,” Moshi asked, seeing the young man. Inuyasha shook his head.



“I’m just taking a break. My tables are all taken care of,” He replied. He took a seat on a stool by the expansive wall of pots and pans, with a sigh. Moshi watched him as he tossed some vegetables in a pan.



“So, everything is going all right? No one’s giving you a hard time right?,” He asked. Inuyasha shrugged.



“Nope, except for some teenage girls who just can’t seem to stop staring at me. Their driving me nuts with all their laughing and whispering, girls are stupid,” He grumbled. Moshi chuckled lightly, as he dumped the vegetables on a plate.



“They probably think you’re handsome, I should think a young man as yourself would relish in being ogled at by a bunch of girls,” Moshi said, giving Inuyasha a slight smirk. Inuyasha shook his head.



“Not by little girls. And besides, I have Kagome to ogle at me. And she doesn’t giggle uncontrollably or bat her eyes at me, like she’s got something in them,” He replied. Moshi laughed again, and wiped his hands on his apron, adding to the grease stain on it’s front.



“Well, just humor them or ignore it. I’m sure they’ll be back with more friends, I have a feeling you’ll be bringing in customers. Your going to be quite an attraction with the ladies,” He said a hint of humor in his tone. Inuyasha rolled his eyes.



“Great, just as long as they don’t hit on me. Then I might just ‘accidentally’ spill a jug of water on them”.










Kagome sighed to herself as she laid down on her bed. Inuyasha was at work and wouldn’t be home until seven o’clock, that meant she had another two hours all by herself. She sighed again and tucked her hands behind her head, staring purposely at the ceiling.



“I’m so lame,” She berated herself. Her thoughts were often of Inuyasha, she was constantly wishing to take things farther with him. She wanted to get married and have a family. But, he’d not spoken to her of his feelings since he came back from the feudal era. She was somewhat disappointed. He wasn’t going to any lengths to show affection, and the only thing they shared was her bed, but it was so large he usually slept on one side and she the other. No contact.



“I want to hug him and snuggle with him. But what if he’s changed his mind?,” She questioned. She rolled hers eyes at herself, and then got up from the bed. She went to her closet and pulled out a bag. It was the one from her shopping trip with Inuyasha. She hadn’t even worn the dress since she got it, she was just waiting for a special occasion.



She pulled the sparkling dress from the bag, and held it up against herself, brushing her fingers across it’s velvety texture. She smiled imagining Inuyasha’s reaction to her wearing it, funnily enough she couldn’t really picture it. He’d never been one to compliment her, well at least on what she chose to wear.



“I really am pathetic. Here I am dancing about my room with this dress, acting like some teenage girl. My gods, I’m so immature,” She groused. She dropped the dress back in the bag before tossing it back in her closet before heading for the bathroom.



“I’ll take a nice long bath and try to think of something other then Inu,” She told herself, with a shake of her head. There she went again, thinking about him.



“I need to stop obsessing”.










Inuyasha slunk into the kitchen again taking another break as he wasn’t needed. He was almost done for the day, and then he could go home to Kagome. She was probably sitting at home reading or something, having totally forgotten about him. Why was it that no matter where or what he was doing, the moment he sat down to clear his mind, it was her he always thought about.



‘Well duh. You love her you idiot,’ Inuyasha mentally criticized. He reached up to scratch his head through the handkerchief tied around it, as his eyes shifted around the kitchen. It was a relatively quiet time, close to closing time with only a few scant customers remaining. He was alone in there, the stoves and burners turned off for the night, and Moshi traveling about the tables asking customers about their meals. He’d said he hated to do it, but Sara insisted it was good for business to show the customers you cared. Frankly Moshi thought it stupid, but he knew better then to argue with his wife.



‘I bet Miroku would be the same way, bending to Sango‘s every whim,’ He thought with a smirk. He shook his head to clear his thoughts before he stood to go and check his tables.



As he left the kitchen he was intercepted by Sara. She smiled at him cheerily.



“Well, you’re all done for the night. I was just looking to give you your pay and tips,” Sara said to him. She handed him an envelope, that was slightly bulged.



“Those young girls certainly admire you, they left a substantial tip. I’ll be sure to see you again tomorrow, same time, Four o’clock. Good night Inuyasha,” Sara said. Inuyasha smiled at her and bid her farewell before he slipped back into the kitchen to hang up his apron and then slip out the back entrance.



“Wait till Kagome sees this,” He said smugly. He pocketed the money and started to stroll down the street. The restaurant was thankfully just a little ways into town. Past the coffee shop and the market. He could find his way home and not worry about getting lost or having Kagome give him a ride.



As he walked he gazed about the town, it seemed to be quieting down, most shops closing and people heading home. Inuyasha didn’t mind though, the less of a crowd the better, he didn’t need people to gawk at him, especially girls. He’d had enough of that at work. Inuyasha smiled at this thought, yeah he was working. He was now slowly on his way to adjusting to this time period. He could easily blend into society and then he’d be excepted and Kagome would love him even more. Then he would marry her and they’d have a family.



‘I’ll have to talk to Sota more about this wedding thing. And find out about this engagement ring,’ He thought to himself. Kagome would like to have a ring, and he was sure to get her what she wanted. He’d ask Sota that Sunday since he was going over for a visit while Kagome worked. He had officially become the stair sweeper for every Sunday. He didn’t mind, it was better to be outside and free then inside lazing about. Not to mention Mrs. Higurashi was always willing to make him a delicious snack of ramen. He liked that.



‘I should talk to Mrs. Higurashi and ask her about this wedding thing. She’ll probably know more about it then Sota,’ He mused. He’d been so immersed in his thoughts he nearly walked right past the apartment building, but his thoughts ended as he caught wind of Kagome’s scent. It was fresh, and lingered in the air just by the entrance. He wondered about that until he walked inside and found her waking back towards the elevator.



“What are you up to?,” He asked. Kagome jumped at his voice and whirled around to see him.



“Gods, your scared me. I was just going to go for a little walk before I realized you’d be home soon,” She told him. A little fib, she had actually been on the look out for him.



“So, how was work?,” She asked, smiling at him. Inuyasha returned the smile, reaching into his pocket and handing her the envelope.



“I think I made out pretty well. Count it and tell me what I’ve got,” He said to her, his voice betraying his pride. Kagome looked at the envelope and weighed it in her hand, it was pretty heavy, and she could feel the change sitting in the bottom of it.



“I’ll teach you how to count it, but let’s get back to our room first,” She said to him. Inuyasha nodded, and started forward. Kagome slipped an arm into his, giving it a squeeze. Inuyasha glanced at her, but smiled at the gesture.










“So you’re working now? That’s wonderful,” Mrs. Higurashi said. She place a bowl of ramen down in front of Inuyasha, and he looked at it dreamily.



“Yeah, I can help Kagome with her bills and groceries. Plus I’m saving up to get her something special,” Inuyasha said. He began on his ramen as Kagome’s mother went about cleaning the kitchen. She smiled at the young man, and then looked to her son who sat watching Inuyasha with a dazed look.



“I’ve never met anyone who could finish a bowl of steaming ramen in five seconds flat,” Sota complimented as Inuyasha wiped his face. He grinned at the boy, and drank the rest of the broth from the bowl.



“So, Inuyasha what’s this special gift you want to get Kagome?,” Mrs. Higurashi asked. Inuyasha turned to her with a big grin.



“An engagement ring”.