InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A Hanyou Reborn, Kagome's Change of Heart ❯ Back To The Past ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

They landed with a thump on the bottom of the well, and right away they knew they were back in the feudal era, because of the morning sun that beamed down on them. Inuyasha jumped right out from the bottom and landed softly on the grass outside the well. Kagome slid from his grip and looked around, blinking in the bright gleam of the sun. She smiled and turned around to Inuyasha.


“It hasn’t changed,” Kagome commented. Inuyasha snorted.


“It has, you just can’t tell,” He told her. Kagome rolled her eyes and started off toward the direction the village was. Inuyasha followed behind her, a smile still on his face.




Kagome started to notice the changes as she walked, the trail she had so often used to get to and from the well had overgrown from lack of use. The village had grown also, so the forest wasn’t as long and wildered, a patch or so showed up where there was a hut and small garden farm. Kagome saw it as fine, because that was what progress did. She hadn’t been there for six years or so; she wasn’t surprised by the changes.


“Where are Sango and Miroku, they have a house, right?” Kagome asked, turning to look at Inuyasha.


“Yeah, but not here. After Kaede passed on, they went back to Sango’s village and started to rebuild it. They’re living there now,” Inuyasha told her. Kagome nodded.


“I feel bad, I never got to say good-bye to Kaede,” Kagome said quietly. Inuyasha caught up to her and gripped her hand.


“She went peacefully, so you shouldn’t be sad. Come on climb on my back, we can reach the demon slayers village in less than a day if I carry you,” Inuyasha said. Kagome nodded and Inuyasha squatted so she could climb on.

As Inuyasha carried her, Kagome closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder. It had been a long time since she had been here, and she felt so at ease with Inuyasha carrying her. It was like they were off again on the search for jewel fragments, except she now had the whole jewel hanging from her neck and Naraku was dead.


“You’re too quiet,’ Inuyasha commented. Kagome sighed and slipped her arms further around his shoulders.


“I’m just thinking,” She replied. Inuyasha sighed.


“You thinking, never leads to something good”.


“Hey, watch it,” Kagome growled. Inuyasha snorted, and Kagome smiled.


“I wasn’t thinking about bad things, just about the past. I can’t help it, I mean it has been such a long time since I’ve been back”.


“Yeah, I know. If you’re worried about Miroku and Sango being mad at you for leaving, don’t. They missed you and were mad at me for driving you away. There wasn’t any hard feelings when you left,” Inuyasha reassured her.


“Right, but what about Shippo, he was too young to understand why I left,” She said sadly. Inuyasha sighed and came to a sudden halt. He let her down and turned to look at her gripping her shoulders.


“That kid hated me for at least two years after you left, he knew you would have stayed if I hadn’t been so stupid and not realized my feelings. Shippo loves you like a mother and he wouldn’t ever think badly of you. I don’t want you to worry anymore,” He told her, pulling her close. He stepped back and gazed into her eyes, his golden ones intense.

“Right, it was my idea to come back anyway,” She said. She bit her bottom lip, like she always had when she was worried. Inuyasha smiled and leaned in, giving her a quick kiss.


“Just relax, this is our honeymoon after all, you’re suppose to enjoy it”.




When they got closer to the demon slayer village, Kagome vied for them to walk the rest of the way. Inuyasha didn’t argue, because Kagome seemed to relax as they walked. She had her arms wrapped around one of his, and ever so often she’d let her head drift to his shoulder and she’d let out a small sigh.


“This is it,” Inuyasha said as the came to the rebuilt wall. The large log door was closed, and there wasn’t anyone sitting up in the watchtower.


“It doesn’t look like anyone is home,” Kagome said, glancing around. She didn’t see any sign of life, and she looked over at Inuyasha, biting her lip once again.


“Stop that, they’re here, I can hear them,” He told her. Kagome sighed and relaxed a little.


“Should we yell or something then, to show we’re here?” Kagome asked. Inuyasha nodded and stepped back a little.


“HEY, Anyone listening come open the door,” Inuyasha bellowed. Kagome winced at the sound, and covered her ears, when he started to yell again.


“HEY, Miroku, Sango open up” He continued. He stopped when he heard two arguing voices approaching the doors on the other side. He knew those voices and smiled.

“They’re coming,” He told Kagome. The large doors started to shift then, and slowly they opened kicking up the dirt and dust as they did.


“I knew it was you”. Miroku smiled at the red clad half-demon, when the dust settled. His eyes seemed to mist a little, and that’s when he noticed Kagome and he let out a small shout.


“Ah, Kagome… is it really you?” He exclaimed. He didn’t give Kagome time to respond before he rushed forward to envelop her in a big hug. Kagome let out a startled gasp, but quickly wrapped her arms around his back, and let a small sob escape her. When he pulled away she realized he wasn’t wearing his old purple monk clothes, but instead a regular kimono almost the same indigo as his eyes.


“You aren’t a monk any longer?” Kagome asked. Miroku chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.


“I married Sango and gave up my monk hood,” He told her. Kagome smiled, and wiped away her tears.


“Where is Sango?” She asked, glancing at the large doors. Instead of seeing Sango though, she caught sight of an orange head of hair and the face of a surprised looking Shippo. He had grown; of course he was ten or eleven now, but still a little short for his age.


“Shippo?” Her voice quivered as she said his name. Shippo smiled grandly and charged forward, jumping at her and wrapping his arms around her waist. He buried his head in her stomach.


“Kagome,” He wailed the sound muffled. His wide green eyes brimmed with tears as he looked up at her. Kagome felt so overwhelmed she slid to her knees, and cuddled Shippo a little closer, holding his head against her shoulder, her finger sliding through the orange end of his ponytail.

“You’re so big,’ She breathed. Shippo pulled back and looked into her eyes, a pout on his lips.


“I missed you so much… I didn’t think you were ever coming back. I was so sad,” He sniffled. Kagome cupped his face in her hands and let out a quivering breath.


“I’m sorry, I am so sorry,” Kagome wiped his shining cheeks and pulled him close again, telling him again and again that she was sorry. Inuyasha watched from a short distance, looking a little uneasy at Kagome’s tears.


“I thought you said you weren’t coming back?” Inuyasha pulled his eyes away from Kagome and smiled wistfully at his old friend.


“Kagome wanted to come back, we’re kind of on our honeymoon,” He said. Miroku raised an eyebrow.


“Honeymoon?” He asked.


“Yeah, it’s like a vacation for after you get married,” Inuyasha replied. It took a moment as this information sink in, but the moment it did Miroku’s face lit with a wide grin.


“Well congratulations, you’ve finally become a man,” Miroku chuckled.


“What are you on about, I’ve always been a man!” Inuyasha shouted indignantly. Miroku rolled his eyes and took a step to pat the half-demon’s shoulder.

“You’ll understand what I mean sooner or later,” He mumbled. Inuyasha yanked away from him and folded his arms across his chest, grumbling a curse and what sounded like lecher beneath his breath. Kagome and Shippo had settled down and were now walking toward them, hand in hand.


“Are you really only going to stay for one week?” Shippo asked. Kagome glanced down at him and smiled gently.


“We’ll see, but even if I leave I promise I’ll come back to visit,” Kagome told him. Shippo nodded a little despondent, but didn’t protest.

“Well let’s head inside, I’m sure Sango will be excited to see you,” Miroku said. He led them in, Inuyasha taking up the rear, glaring sourly at Shippo’s orange head.