InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ An Old Friend ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

((Of course I don't…))
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
 
Ch. 3 An Old Friend
 
 
 
Kagome groaned and tried to open her eyes. The light that was shining in her eyes forced her to squint, as she tried to focus on the figure in front of her.
 
“Kagome? Kagome, are you okay?” That voice. It was familiar, but how? She blinked, and suddenly got a bad feeling.
 
`I hope it isn't who I think it is.' She sighed as she opened her eyes fully to look at the person standing over her.
 
The man that was next to her appeared to be very concerned, as she started to sit up. As she got a good look at him, she felt hundreds of different emotions at once. He was very attractive; she had to admit that. He was tall, and had his long black hair tied back, which would normally seem weird on a man, but it fit him.
 
`I sure hope he's changed over 500 years.' She grinned weakly, and decided to find out if she was right.
 
“Hey Kouga. Long time, no see.” As she greeted none other than the Prince of Wolves himself, he smiled and pulled her into a hug.
 
“How are you still alive? What are you doing here? I thought you were dead!” She struggled to breath from her immovable position in Kouga's arms.
 
“Please Kouga, if I could breath I would answer you.” He pulled back immediately, but held on to her shoulders, as if he thought she might just disappear. He looked at her, his eyes softening as she gave him a sad grin.
 
“Well, umm, I take it that they never told that I was from the future?” Kouga looked at her incredulously, shaking his head.
 
“That explains a lot now that I think about it. Like your strange kimono and speech. How long has it been for you?” Kouga was still holding onto her, the expression in his eyes telling her that he never wanted to let go again. She looked at him, wondering if he knew about Shippo.
 
“It's been about a year for me since I was sent back.” Kouga looked at the woman whom he had fallen in love with so many years ago with sadness in his eyes. He remembered the last time he had seen her. He was injured after defeating the wind sorceress, but tried to reach her anyways. She had hugged him and whispered her last words to him that he would hear for five hundred years.
 
`Kouga, know that I will always love you as a friend, and will always be grateful to you for being here. Try not to fight with Inuyasha so much please? It's sad when two of my friends hate each other. I'm sorry for what I am about to do, but it is necessary. Thank you, my friend. Take care.'
 
Kouga had looked on in horror as she called the shards to her, and tried with all his might to escape the barrier separating him from his love. It had taken him a while to get over her, but he eventually did, to a point, and always mourned her. No one had informed him as to why she was gone, or even as to why she make her last wish, but then again, he wasn't sure if he wanted to know. Looking at her know, it was clear to him that she had mourned as well, for quite some time if he was right.
 
Kagome looked around her as she waited for Kouga to come back from his thoughts. She noticed that she was in a smallish room; it had a couple of beds, a sink, and some other stuff that she couldn't recognize at the moment.
 
“Hey Kouga, where am I?” He looked at her and chuckled.
 
“Are you telling me you already forgot everything? Boy, humans sure do have a short memory span.” He teased, watching her expression go from guarded to flustered. She opened her mouth to protest when Kouga cut her off, laughing.
 
“You're in the nurse's office. You were out for a while. I thought it would be better if you were comfortable when you woke up, rather then on the floor in the gym.” She nodded, thinking how weird that would have been. Then she remembered something else she wanted to ask him.
 
“Hey, did you know that Shippo teaches here too?” He widened his eyes in surprise.
 
“No, I had no idea that he was even here. It's amazing the little runt decided to go into teaching. Never thought it was something he'd do.” Kagome grinned, realizing that Shippo was probably just as tall as Kouga was now, not really the runt anymore. Besides, that was Inuyasha's name for him. Thinking about him, she frowned slightly, her eyes saddening. Kouga took note of this and put his arm around her, trying to cheer her up.
 
She looked at him and realized, that while he had definitely changed in the past 500 years, he was also much the same as he was before. A little dense, but a kind friend that she would hate to lose.
 
Kouga and Kagome sat and talked for a bit as school went on around them, oblivious to the startling changes that were taking place. A young woman finding hope and joy a new, while two men, older then any could guess, were the cause of it.
 
As they talked, Kouga knew he would have to help mend her heart, then show her that he was the ONLY one for her. She needed his support and love, and he was more then willing to give it to her. He sat there listening, all the while, trying to think of ways to show her where her heart truly belongs. With him.