InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ A New Life ❯ Sesshomaru ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

((Still don't…))
 
A New Life With Old Friends
 
 
Ch. 5 Sesshomaru
 
 
 
As he stood there, staring at her, he realized something. He wanted it to be her. He didn't understand why he felt the way he did over the last 5 centuries, but he wanted her to tell him what it was.
 
`Aghh, what am I saying!!???? She's a human girl!'
 
She stared back, both of them forgetting that Lydia was right there, staring at them, completely lost. Lydia didn't know what was going on, but she wasn't sure she liked it. Kagome had been depressed when she arrived, and Lydia didn't want her to feel that way anymore. She loved Kagome as if she were her own daughter.
 
Sesshomaru took the initiative, stepping towards Kagome. She blinked, and then stepped back. Apprehension, hope, and fear filling her eyes. Sesshomaru felt a pang of hurt when he sensed that.
 
`Fear? Why should she be afraid of me?'
 
“Sesshomaru? What are you doing here?” He looked a little taken aback, then smiled. Kagome gasped softly, she had never seen him smile before. Absently, she thought he should do that more often, it suited him.
 
“Is that the way you greet someone you haven't seen in a long time, Kagome?” She looked at him, irritation showing on her face. He smirked; he knew he would get that reaction.
 
“I suppose it is when the person is someone that I never thought I'd see again. Or when your first impression of the person is of him trying to kill you.” Lydia looked back and forth between the two, getting a little suspicious at Kagome's last remark.
 
Sesshomaru looked at Lydia, smelling the slight fear that was coming off her. He looked at Kagome and inwardly smiled, inhaling deep, getting entranced by her scent, when he realized something. He strode over to her and sniffed. She looked at him like he was crazy. He stepped back, not even realizing he was growling. Lydia looked at him in fear. She had never heard anyone growl like that before.
 
“Why do you smell like wolf and kitsune?” Kagome's eyes widened, then she smiled, a sight that took his breath away. Chuckling, she pulled him and the astonished woman next to them into the kitchen.
 
“Wench, I will not by mocked by you. Now tell me why you have the scent of wolf and kitsune on you.” He growled, mad that anyone had touched her, especially two male demons. He couldn't figure why he cared so much.
 
`She has earned my respect. Yes, that's it. Nothing else. I don't' want her to be taken…..advantage of.'
 
Kagome snapped her head back at him, the fire in her eyes astonishing him once more. Lydia decided she had enough. She turned also, and walked up to Sesshomaru, fear clearly showing in her face, yet she kept her eyes locked on his.
 
“I don't know how you know each other, but I don't like the way your treating Kagome.” She would have kept going, but Kagome stepped in between them and nervously intervened.
 
“Um, Lydia, as much as I should let you keep going, I think you need to let him have a little slack. We haven't seen each other in a long time. I should probably explain everything, but let's eat first. The food is getting cold.” Both Sesshomaru and Lydia looked at her, but each with different expressions running across their faces.
 
Sesshomaru looked at the woman he had come to respect after all these years. His lips twitched upwards, remembering all the times she had stood up to him, and managed to make him retreat. It may have taken him 500 years, but he finally realized what it was about that drew people to her. Her kindness and sense of humor even when in danger was astounding. She could make anyone like her, he was sure of that. That's why his half brother kept her around, she made him feel welcome. The moron chose to be with the corpse more then once, and Kagome didn't hate him for it. In fact, she helped him find his happiness in the end.
 
Lydia looked at Kagome, surprise flashing in her eyes. She moved to speak, but Kagome shook her head. She motioned to the table where the food was, and sat down. Sesshomaru sat down across from her, while Lydia looked at him suspiciously, before finally taking the seat at the end of the table. During the meal, which was eaten in silence for the most part, Sesshomaru could barely take his eyes off of Kagome. He didn't understand why she was so patient. Sure he knew she was, but he didn't know how, or why she was. What a quandary this young woman was.
 
Kagome ate slowly, digesting the events of the day. * A/N: No pup intended! I swear!!! ^-^* So much had happened in the one day. She had met her pup, and two old friends she hadn't seen in 6 months. She blinked, remembering something.
 
“Lydia, I almost forgot to ask you something. Is it ok if I go out to dinner with a couple of friends tomorrow night?” Sesshomaru looked at Kagome, narrowing his eyes.
 
`I wonder if that has to do with the wolf and kitsune I smelt on her.'
 
Lydia looked up at Kagome, “Who are your friends? Someone I would know?” Kagome grinned sheepishly.
 
“Umm, they're two teachers from my school. Before you say anything though, I suppose it's time to tell you what my mom left out when she told you about me. You see, I don't know exactly what mom told you about what happened to me.”
 
Lydia looked at her, not knowing what to think. “She told me that you had lost some friends and didn't want to be reminded of them anymore. That's about it though. She didn't go into any detail.”
 
Kagome nodded. Sesshomaru just looked at her, waiting to hear what had happened to her.
 
“Well, I think it's time that I told you what really happened. I never would have normally, but some things have some up that make it kind of difficult to hide. Like Sesshomaru here. You see, when I was fifteen I chased my cat into the well house, where a centipede demon dragged me down the well…”
 
*A/N I think you all know the story if your reading this fic so I'll just skip down to the final battle.*
 
“…finally, Naraku showed himself. We had collected all the shards between our two groups, except for Kouga's, but we let him keep them for the battle. We were losing, as Naraku kept getting stronger it seemed. I suddenly felt a call to my soul. I knew what I had to do. I took the shards from Kouga, who was hurt, and set up a slow healing spell on him, which I learned how to do from Kaede, then walked to Inuyasha. I healed him as well, since he was in bad shape. Shippo ran at me, crying, so I sent him into a deep sleep, placing him in Sesshomaru's arms, telling him to take care of my pup. I then looked at Kikyo, understanding her finally. Naraku rushed at me, hoping to catch me off guard, when I just let loose with my power. I purified him, and put the Shikon No Tama together. I made my wish, then everything went black. When I woke up, my family was surrounding me, in the present era. I tried to get back through the well, hoping that since the Shikon No Tama was now inside me, I could get back and forth through the well. It didn't work. I tried for so long, but it never worked. Finally, my mom couldn't stand it anymore and sent me here to finish my schooling, hoping that a change of scenery would do me some good. Well, that, and she wanted me to pass high school.”
 
As Kagome was reliving her tale, Lydia sat there in shock. She wasn't sure what to believe. Either Kagome was telling the truth, or she had just made up the most ridiculous tale ever to help her get over her pain. She turned to look at Sesshomaru, to see what his reaction was.
 
Sesshomaru sat calmly at the table, while inwardly he felt a pang in his stomach. He didn't know what it meant, for it was a foreign emotion to him. He would have to get Kagome to explain it to him.
Kagome looked at them both. She saw the disbelief in Lydia's eyes. She couldn't blame her. If someone came up to her and told her the same story, she would think that they must have escaped an institution somewhere. Seeing that Sesshomaru had his typical stoic mask in place, she grinned, it was just like him. But she realized that his mask wasn't perfect. She could tell he was confused by something by the way his eyes looked.
 
`Maybe eyes really are the windows to your soul. Sesshomaru just had his blinds down for a few hundred years. And they're finally loosening up.'
 
She grinned, thinking of something that would help Lydia believe her. She turned to Sesshomaru, hoping that her plan would work.
 
“Hey Sesshy, can you transform into your demon self? That way Lydia can see I am telling the truth.” Sesshomaru looked at her in shock.
 
`Did she just call me Sesshy?'
 
Shaking his head mentally, he thought about it for a second. He turned to look at Lydia. She still had an expression of disbelief. He nodded, concentrating on the illusion spell. He shut his eyes, forcing the spell that he had left in place for so long off. Finally, he felt it lift. Opening his eyes, he saw a look of absolute shock on Lydia's face. She realized that Kagome had been telling the truth. There is no way a normal person could have a tail. Unless she was insane herself.
 
Kagome looked on and grinned. She missed Sesshomaru's fluffy tail. She had always wanted to touch it back then, but fear for her life kept her at bay. Unlike Inuyasha's ear's of course. She had rubbed them every chance she got. A thought crept into her head. Grinning evilly, she smiled innocently and moved closer to Sesshomaru.
 
Sesshomaru watched Kagome with apprehension. The look in her eyes scared him to a certain point. She finally got in range and started petting his tail, giggling at how soft and silky it was. He looked at her in shock. No one had ever dared to touch his tail!
 
Against his will, he started to purr. He got angry at himself for doing that. He wasn't a cat for Pete's sake. Kagome, hearing him, giggled and stroked the fur some more. Lydia looked on, now in amusement, as her fear faded when she saw that he wasn't hurting her.
 
He got a hold of himself and yanked his tail out of reach. Kagome just looked at him and gave him the cutest pout. Chuckling slightly at her innocent expression, he shook his head.
 
“Miko, you never cease to surprise me. But please refrain from touching my tail again.” Kagome looked at him in annoyance. Why did demons have to be so clueless about names!? Seriously, did they forget them in such a short time or what?
 
“Sesshy, remember, my name is Kagome. Ka-go-me. Got it. Not Miko, wench, or any other name you decide to grace me with. Understand?” Lydia couldn't help herself, she started laughing.
 
“You two are so cute together! So Kagome, who are you going to dinner with tomorrow? Or is it a big surprise?” Kagome blushed at her first comment, then laughed.
 
“No, it's no surprise. I'm going with Shippo and Kouga. They are two of my teachers at school. That's who you smelled Sesshy.” Sesshomaru growled softly. He remembered Kouga. He never did really like the wolf. He was too rash and cocky for Sesshomaru's patience. Shippo he hadn't seen in years though. More like a couple of hundred years.
 
“So the little kit decided to teach huh? Sounds like him. The wolf though, I can't see him teaching.” Kagome looked at him curiously.
 
“He teaches gym. Hey, didn't I tell you to take care of my pup? How could you be doing that if you didn't even know he was a teacher?” Kagome looked at him with a dangerous glint in her eyes.
 
“I raised him until he grew up. After he could take care of himself, he left. The last I saw of him was a couple hundred years ago. I was at his wedding. Then we lost touch. I suppose I should see my old friends again.”
 
Kagome saddened, she felt bad for leaving Shippo there. She had wanted to watch him grow up, to be at his wedding. She got the next best thing, she got to see him, his mate, and his children, but that was the problem. It was only the next best thing. Not the best.
 
Sesshomaru saw her saddened expression and moved to wrap his arms around her comforting her. Kagome was shocked at first, but soaked up the comfort that Sesshomaru rarely offered. They sat and talked the night away, until Lydia noticed the time and told them they both had to go places in the morning. Sesshomaru called Jaken to come and pick him up. Kagome laughed when she heard that Jaken was still alive. She thought that Sesshomaru would have killed him by now. When he heard that, Sesshomaru's lips pulled up into what was unmistakably a grin. He explained to her that loyal servants were hard to come by these days, so he had to keep Jaken around.
 
They said good-bye, and each went to bed that night thinking about the other. They smiled in their sleep, dreaming about the happiness the day had brought for the first time in months, or in one case, centuries.