InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ All I have: Two Months ❯ Choices to be Made ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's note: Sorry it took me so long on this chapter. I wanted it to be good. I have had a lot of reviews and I greatly appreciate them all. Things start to heat up in this chapter a little more. Kagome has another dream, and she finds out what her sacrifice is. I hope you like it; I've worked very hard on it.
To answer a question, in chapter five where the doctor meets up with Kagome's mom, someone pointed out that I said they had one color eyes before and another color at the end. That is because it was Shippo, and I was trying to make it where it was like he still couldn't hold down the transforming stuff, but I messed up. I forgot to put it in at the end, so I am sorry for that. Don't want to keep you waiting, so enjoy!
 
 
 
 
Chapter Seven: Choices to be Made
 
The important thing is this:
To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are
Forwhat we could become.”
 
Charles Dubois
 
Kagome drifted off into sleep. She had kissed Inuyasha's cheek. She was the happiest she has been since her diagnosis. Her diagnosis, the cancer that was inside her brain. She didn't know what it was going to do to her. She had left too soon to find out. `With Inuyasha here, I should be ok,' she thought. Then the words that death spoke came back to her. `You will have to sacrifice something great.'
 
What had she to sacrifice? What did she have that anyone would want? Other than the jewel shards, she had nothing. `Why does this always happen to me? First I am diagnosed with cancer and given only two months to live, now if I want to live, I have to sacrifice something great! How am I supposed to know what to sacrifice?'
 
“Oh, you'll know when the time comes,” a cold, yet beautiful voice said. Kagome recognized the unforgettable voice and tried to scream. Same as before, she couldn't talk. Her voice had already left her. She tried to stand up and found that she could. She inwardly cried with joy as she began to run away. Death was soon in front of her. His cold blue eyes piercing her soul. He reached out to grab her when his hand was smacked away, and not by Kagome.
 
“Oh Death! Do not torture her. As I said before, she is one of my charges now,” a very sweet voice came from behind the handsome man before her. In a moment he was joined by a beautiful maiden. She had hair down to her ankles that was blonde, not a color most seen around here. Only demons had color like that in these times. Kagome moved back, trying to make an escape the other way.
 
“Ai,” Death backed off and sulked into the growing fog. Kagome tried to cry out as she realized she had no idea where to go. All around her was a dense fog and tree roots. It looked like something out of a nightmare. `Just the kind of place death would live,' she thought as tripped on a root.
 
“Kagome, there is no sense in running. Death cannot harm you while I am here,” the maiden walked up to Kagome and helped her to her feet. Kagome's eyes were full of fear and amazement. This woman before her did not fear death, but seemed to control it. She had a kind face that Kagome felt she could trust.
 
“Hello Kagome, my name is Ai. I am here to help you, not harm you,” the maiden with the sweet voice waved her hand and a bench appeared from thin air. Kagome, absolutely amazed, took a seat next to the woman. She was taller than most and was wearing a long blue kimono. Her eyes were a soft, welcoming shade of pink.
 
“Ai, please don't go into one of your long winded speeches. I don't have all night you know,” Death brooded. Ai shot him a nasty glare.
 
“You know I am not allowed to invade dreams as you do. I need you for this,” she pleaded. He sighed. He would never in a million lifetimes admit it, but he couldn't stand it when she begged. It wasn't like him to do things like cave in, but he had. Many times before he caved to her will so that she could save a young man in love.
 
She noticed his submission and turned her full focus on a bewildered, yet still amazed, Kagome. Ai lifted the girl's chin and looked her over. She smiled and walked around her. Death watched her with his blue eyes. `Trying to scare the poor child. You really have been around me too long,' he thought as he watched her smile and plop down next to the girl. He was utterly bemused at how Ai could have wisdom no man had ever known before, and she still could act like a fifteen year old girl.
 
“Kagome, you are in love!” Ai squealed. She enveloped Kagome in a hug that frightened the poor child. Kagome nodded. She was in love, whether she wished to believe it or not. “Alright, that is good. Listen, as long as you have love, Death here can't touch you. If you love, you're my baby!”
 
Death rolled his eyes, and Kagome widened hers. A million thoughts ran through her mind at once. She wanted to ask about the sacrifice, but she couldn't speak. Ai seemed to pick up on Kagome's thoughts because her attitude changed completely.
 
“Kagome, I am here to offer you a choice. Yes, this has to do with your sacrifice. You see, you can either live or die. It is your choice; we have no say in the matter. I am sure you know that to live, you must sacrifice something great to do so. The sacrifice is not something to be taken lightly. It will affect everything. But I have good news for you Kagome,” Ai tucked a strand of Kagome black hair behind her head and stood up. She walked over to where Death was sitting and grabbed him.
 
“Let me guess you saved a bunch of money on car insurance by switching to Geiko,” Death spat. Ai slapped him and dragged him to where Kagome was. Kagome tried to giggle, it was funny and every time she saw those commercials she laughed.
 
“No, Kagome your good news is this. You have a choice on your sacrifice. Keep in mind, both of these will be great. They have the potential to ruin lives. Everyone's life. I know this is a terrible thing to ask of you, but our superiors believe that it is the only way. You are not of this time, and that complicates things. That is precisely why we are here to help you,” Ai sat beside the girl and put a hand on her shoulder.
 
“Kagome, are you willing to live?” Death, two inches from her face, asked. His voice was still beautiful, if not cold. Kagome couldn't help but look into his eyes. The blue caught her and seemed to pull her in. In those eyes she saw the death of thousands. Men crying, babies screaming, and no one trying to help. It was death. All those that Death had taken, he could still see them. Kagome heard once that if you got the chance to look into death's eyes, you would see terrible things. Tears formed in her eyes as she saw her father. He was dying. Inuyasha's mother was being slain by the villager's while his father attacked by Ryoukotsusei.
 
“You see them, don't you? All those Death has taken,” Ai's voice seemed so far away, but she was right next to her. Kagome nodded her head as a light was lifted from her. She sobbed out loud. She gasped her voice it returned to her.
 
“Well kid, are you willing to sacrifice and live?” Death demanded an answer, but Kagome couldn't hold back the tears. Ai took her chin in her fingers and brought her eyes into her own.
 
“Look into my eyes, what do you see?” Ai's voice was beautiful. Kagome looked into her eyes and was trapped. She saw her father marrying her mother, Inuyasha's mother and father together. She saw Sota with Hitomi. She saw Sango and Miroku smiling, happy for a moment. She looked on and saw Inuyasha standing there with Kikyo in his arms. Tears flooded her eyes and all the images become blurs. She saw Inuyasha again; he was happy and holding something in his arms. She couldn't see much of anything else through the tears. She turned her head. It was love. She saw Inuyasha with Kikyo. That was who he loved; who he would be with.
 
“I saw love,” Kagome choked out. Ai hugged her and spoke so softly in her ears.
 
“Will you live?”
 
“Yes,” Kagome nodded. She knew she had to be there for Inuyasha. No matter what, for him and for her friends she had to be there.
 
“Then listen well, I will tell you your sacrifice. You may choose between either one, but be careful. You will have one week to decide, but please make sure it is the right one,” Ai stood up and walked to stand beside Death. She sighed and looked down at the girl, tears filling her eyes. Her usually happy soul was now filled with heart ache.
 
“You may either sacrifice the Shikon Jewel to Naraku,” Death smirked. He was enjoying this a little too much.
 
“Or you may sacrifice your love for Inuyasha. This means that you will not be able to love him that you will have to stand by his side watching him with Kikyo. Your dreams, they will not come true. He will be by your side, but you will not have him,” Ai barely choked out. “Go now and think of your choice.”
 
Kagome gasped as she was thrown out of the dream. Ai summoned a large chair that she had seen in America once and sunk herself in it. Death looked down on her to see that she was crying. He couldn't stand this, so he sat with her and wrapped her in his arms. He hated this, he hated her. But he hated tears more than anything. He hated to take someone who was crying, or being cried over. He hated to watch everyone mourning over the death of someone close. He hated it because it was his fault.
 
“Please Ai, you know I hate tears,” he pleaded. His voice was softer, almost caring. Ai turned in his arms to face him. She wiped the tears away and looked him dead on with pink, puffy eyes.
 
“She saw everything in my eyes,” she whispered.
 
“I know,” Death put his forehead to hers. Ai shook her head.
 
“She saw everything except Inuyasha holding her and their child. She was him with Kikyo. She saw him smiling, but the tears wouldn't let her see him with her. She saw him happy, but she failed to realize he was happy with her!” she cried out. Death pulled her into a tight embrace and cursed himself for doing so.
 
“Listen, it is out of our hands. She will do the best she can. You must have faith in her now,” Death patted her back. Ai cried into his shoulder and remembered the one thing Kagome didn't see.
 
Inuyasha was standing there, a smile spread across his face. Small tears were dripping down his face as he held his daughter in one arm and his wife in the other. She was brave. She had loved him when no one else could, and she was standing there with him now. Tears were in both their eyes as their little newborn baby held both of their fingers in her own two hands. No one could ever find two people as happy as them in the world.