InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ All I have: Two Months ❯ Contemplation ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
Chapter Eight: Contemplation
 
 
Kagome jumped from her sleep. Sweat was pouring down her face. She quickly glanced around the campfire. Everyone was asleep, even Shippo was not jarred when she jerked awake. Miroku was sleeping, his hands wandering on their own. Sango was sleeping peacefully, and so was Inuyasha, who had a goofy smile on his face. Kagome was near tears when she stood up to talk a walk.
 
“Kagome,” a soft voice caused her to jump and fall. She turned to see Sango holding out her hand. Kagome took it and fell into the demon slayer's arms. Her dream, this one hurt so much it had to be real. Sango, who was oblivious to what was happening, merely tried to comfort her.
 
“There, there Kagome don't cry,” she tried to comfort. Kagome wiped her eyes and looked up at the demon slayer. Over time this girl had become her closest friend. She had decided, she wasn't going to keep this from her. She didn't care the consequences, Sango had to know!
 
“I'm ok now Sango. I need to tell you something. Come with me,” Kagome stood up and they walked into a clearing. It was beautifully lit by the moonlight. The trees framed around the moon, only allowing certain strands through. It was like an image of twisted perfection. They found a rock, in the middle of the clearing, that they both could sit on.
 
“What's wrong Kagome? Is this about your cancer?” Sango was worried. She tried not to show it as much, but she couldn't help it. Kagome had told them that she had an illness that was going to kill her. Something that only the Shikon Jewel could fix. Sango knew they would never get to the jewel in time to save Kagome. She knew her friend's fate, although she would never allow herself to admit it.
 
“Kinda, you see I've had two dreams about it lately,” Kagome looked at her hands. They were so pale. She could feel herself getting weaker. She fought to hold back the tears that threatened to burst forward.
 
“Oh, you mean the ones about seeing all of us in the future. How we were all happy and married to one another?” Sango asked. She twisted her face a little to show the dislike of marrying Miroku. This made Kagome laugh a little.
 
“No, no. I mean it was like a vision. I saw Death and Love, or Ai as she wanted to be called. They were different, but so much alike at the same time. They told me that there is a way I can live. They said there was a way to live without the Shikon Jewel,” Kagome stopped. She looked up at Sango who had a smile on her face. Despite the fact her friend was now claiming to see things in her dreams, she had said that there was a way to save her without using the jewel. Sango couldn't help but smile at the good news.
 
Her smile was short lived though. The look on Kagome's face when she lifted her head to meet her friend's gaze said it all. Sango didn't know all the details, but she knew that look. She grabbed hold of Kagome and wrapped her in a big hug. Whatever it is that will save her, will probably be a fate worse than death. She pulled back and looked at her friend. Both of them had faces that were red from crying.
 
“What must you do Kagome?” Sango asked pushing some of her dark hair out of her eyes. Kagome looked down at her own hands again. Her raven hair fell around her face and hid her eyes from view. She took in a deep breath and began.
 
“I saw Death and Ai. They told me I would have to sacrifice something great to live. I have to be here for you guys. I have to finish the quest I started, so I chose to live. Sango, I must either sacrifice the Shikon Jewel to Naraku, or I have to give up my love for Inuyasha. That would mean I would have to watch him with Kikyo, and never be able to love him. He could never love me back. I have a week to decide, but I already know my choice. It's fairly clear,” she spoke softly. Kagome tried to hold back the barrage of tears, but failed.
 
Sango was silent. `To live, Kagome would have to give up the jewel, or Inuyasha. Either way, Kagome could never live happily afterwards,' Sango thought as she patted Kagome's back. `I've heard stories of Death and the tricks he plays. He is going to make Kagome wish she was dead no matter what. Ai. Father used to talk about love. He said love is the most deadly weapon of all. Of course those two would be working together.'
 
“What will you do Kagome?” Sango let curiosity get to her. Kagome lifted her head to meet Sango's eyes. Her hair was a mess, her face beet red. She tried to wipe away the tears.
 
“I'll have to give up Inuyasha. I can't give up the jewel. That's what we've been working for! I can't let Naraku win and Miroku and Kohaku die. I can't do that to you guys. I'll have to give up love to help. Who knows maybe by doing that, I'll be able to concentrate on my work!” Kagome tried to lighten things up. “We better get back before the guys wake up and wonder what happened to us?”
 
Sango remained silent as they wiped the tears from their eyes and walked back to camp. Nothing was heard between the two except for the sound of the night. When camp was in sight, Sango grabbed Kagome's hand. “Don't give up on Inuyasha. We won't let Naraku win! No matter what, we will defeat Naraku. So please, don't give up on love to save us.”
 
Kagome nodded her head and began towards her sleeping bag. She crawled in and gave Shippo a little squeeze. Morning would be coming soon. `I can't let Naraku get the jewel. I have one week to love Inuyasha. One week is all I got left, but I guess that's all I ever needed.'