InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: phoenixfire17, thank you for reviewing again. I can understand what your saying, but I'm trying to aim at "over protective" still…not love yet…the title of the chapter was misleading. I talked with my beta-reader, and she agreed that I may be a little wide of the mark, but between the two of us, we couldn't come up with a fix for this chapter. Again, thank you for reviewing and enough with my blabbing :D

Nanashi found Subaru's home intimidating. It was larger than the inn, so much so that the inn could have fit easily in the gardens. Many rooms opened into the courtyard, which was filled with cherry trees, heavy with fruit. Most of the rooms, Sesshoumaru informed her, were sleeping rooms for Subaru's students, but since it was autumn, most had returned to their lands to help with harvest. They would return with the winter snows. These students were lower ranking…he hesitated to tell her they were demons, thinking she might make the connection that he, too, was a demon. He could vividly remember her dream of him tearing her apart and didn't want that to surface. She was calming with time spent exploring and he did not want to compromise that. He would tell her of his true nature, when she was ready, after her fears had been calmed. Until then, he would protect her, even from himself.

She noticed his hesitation, but did not say anything. She followed him through the complex maze of gardens and buildings. She had trouble grasping that anyone would care for her, but it seemed as though this one, her tenshi, did. Why was she chosen by the gods to be rescued by this one who called himself Sesshoumaru? Great things were expected of those chosen by the gods and this thought made her nervous. But she was here to learn, that's what Subaru-sensei said, that she would begin tomorrow. She would learn to control this power that now only worked in fits and starts. And then what? Never before had the future stretched before her. She shuddered at the thought of time ahead and Sesshoumaru was by her side, eyes filled with concern. She smiled weakly at him, "I was thinking about the future. I have never thought about it before. It is a lot to think about." Her voice was just above a whisper and trembled slightly.

"Do not worry about the future, Nanashi, I-we will make sure you will be taken care of. Subaru-sensei doesn't let her students suffer. She will make sure you always have a place."

"And you, Sesshoumaru? How will you make sure I am taken care of?" She blushed at her directness and looked at the ground near her feet.

He placed his hands on her shoulders, causing her to look up at him in surprise. His eyes were full of compassion. "I will not let anyone hurt you, Nanashi, not ever again." His voice was full of conviction and she wanted to believe him. Angels didn't lie, did they? He had to tell her the truth. But who was she that an angel, much less the gods who sent him, should care about her. He could see the doubt flicker through her eyes and it hurt him. He brought his hand up to her chin, "I will never let you be hurt if I can stop it in any way, Nanashi. I give you my oath." With his other hand, he brought her hand up to his temple, "You can look in my mind, we know that. I cannot lie in my mind."

She began to tremble under his intensity and took a step back from him. "I'm sorry, tenshi. I believe you. I'm sorry," she babbled.

Damn it, he thought. "Nanashi, don't, please. I'm sorry. I wanted you to believe. I want you to know you are safe here. You will not be hurt here."

She still looked at him warily. Never before had anyone look at her so intensely, with such emotion. It frightened her. She closed her eyes, hiding from his eyes, trying to calm herself. She did not see Sesshoumaru hang his head, internally berating himself for overwhelming the girl.

"Nanashi," Sesshoumaru's voice was barely loud enough for her to hear, "please, don't be frightened. I want you to know that I will never hurt you…I didn't mean to frighten you. Please forgive me."

She opened her eyes. His face was full of remorse and pleading. He wanted her forgiveness? How strange life had become for her. "Sesshoumaru, I believe you, I forgive you," she said, her voice barely reaching his ears. She was astonished at the look of relief that crossed his face before he turned and began showing her around again.