InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ As the Father.... ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Subaru reached Inutaisho's home just before noon. The guards hid their surprise at her arrival and quickly announced her.

"Lady Subaru, it has been a long time since you have graced us with your presence. My son is not troubling you, is he?" Inutiasho greeted her.

"No, my lord, he does well in his studies." She took a deep breath, "My lord, it concerns Lady Amaya. Two nights ago, her obi was returned to me along with a girl child of considerable power." She watched his face carefully, "Upon investigating, I found that strong magic had been used against Lady Amaya."

"Who would dare?" he growled, his hackles rising.

Subaru quailed, but she had to continue, "Lady Amaya was taken and ill used by a band of thieves. Their leader used the magic to weaken her and to force her to conceive a child."

Inutiasho's eyes began to turn blood red. Subaru quickly finished the story, "Lady Amaya escaped and, in doing so, slit the leader's throat. She made her way to an inn, where she gave birth to a girl child and vanished from this realm." She prayed that Amaya's avenging herself would calm the lord. She could not tell him how Nanashi had been treated, though. If she doubted Sesshoumaru's control, she feared Inutaisho's even more.

As her words began to permeate his anger, he calmed slightly. "So, she avenged herself. The child you found was her daughter?"

"Yes, my lord."

"She is hanyou?"

"No, she doesn't seem to be, my lord. I doubted when I first saw the obi because the girl doesn't smell of demon at all. She doesn't quite smell human, but there is no trace of demon in her blood. I went to the place of her birth and Amaya's spirit met me there and let me know her history. I do not doubt the child is Amaya's, but she is not one of us."

"How could that be, Subaru? If the child is from a mating of human and demon, then she must be hanyou."

"I agree, my lord, but I think the magic used to trap Lady Amaya must have had an effect." Subaru sighed. If he was curious, then he was calming, to her relief.

"I would like to see this child."

Inwardly, Subaru flinched. "My lord, at this time, I do not think that is wise. She is young and still very unsure of herself. She is not used to the idea that she has power. I have not told her of her mother yet." Subaru bit her lip before she could continue to tell him that she'd been mistreated. "She needs a little more time before she is prepared to meet her family, my lord."

"What are you hiding, Subaru?" Inutaisho's eyes were penetrating as he looked at her.

Subaru could only look at the floor. "I am only trying to ensure that my student is trained properly, my lord. She is still unaware that there are demons. She calls your son an angel. She is naive yet, my lord. Let me teach her a bit before I bring her here."

"Will she be ready for the solstice?" Inutaisho still felt that Subaru was hiding something from him but he knew the old witch would keep her counsel until she was ready to inform him.

"I believe so, my lord. If she is, I will send her with Sesshoumaru."

"Then go do your best, or worst, for the girl. My wife will be relieved to know that her sister's spirit is now at peace. Thank you for coming and telling me in person, Subaru."