InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ So the Son ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Subaru returned to her home to find her two students both downcast. Fearing the worst, she called to Sesshoumaru to follow her. When they were out of hearing, "What happened, Sesshoumaru?" She watched as he struggled within himself, conflicting emotions flitting across his eyes as his face remained immobile.

"She is afraid of me," he said at last, his voice almost free of the pain this caused him.

Subaru knew what this cost him, and it hurt her to see him in such pain. Against her better judgment, she consoled him, "She is afraid of her own shadow right now, Sesshoumaru, give her time to adjust to the idea that she is wanted and will not be hurt. You saw her memories. It is not easy to overcome one's memories. For now, we need to give her time and support. Do not press, Sesshoumaru, or she will remain within herself."

He was still young enough to argue, "But I want her to know that we will protect her, that she has nothing to fear."

"She will not believe your words, Sesshoumaru, only your actions. Show her she is safe by not overwhelming her with protectiveness. Think about the walls of this house. They are protective but they do not overwhelm you with their presence. She needs walls, Sesshoumaru, not a watchdog." She could feel his growl at this comparison, but gave him a look that forbade any further comments.

He dropped his eyes, "Yes, Subaru-sensei," and followed her as she returned to Nanashi.

"Good evening, Nanashi, what do you think of my house?" Subaru approached the girl with a smile that faltered when the girl jumped at being addressed.

"It is a large house, Subaru-sensei. Sesshoumaru told me you have other students. I didn't know there were others like me."

Subaru glanced quickly at Sesshoumaru and he offered a shadow of a shrug. "Not quite like you, my dear, but students the same. Let us have some supper and then to bed. Tomorrow will be a long day for you, I think."