InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Thoughts in the Dark ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N Since the last chapter was sooooo short, and I didn't realize it until after I posted it, here's the next one, too…Can I be forgiven? Pretty please with sugar and cherries

That night, Nanashi slept in her own room, next to Sesshoumaru's. The size of it, though not large, was still overwhelming. Everything was so much more than she believed could ever exist. She could barely grasp that she was no longer at the inn. She questioned if she was still alive, though she though so because of the bruises and pain she still felt. She thought that death would end pain. Subaru was not her idea of a kami, either. Kami, in her mind, were taller and pure. Subaru was short and dark; her features were small and her eyes tiny and black. She said she would teach me, Nanashi thought. This thought, too, was overwhelming. She sat at her window, alternately looking at her room and the night sky. She had a futon that would have completely covered the floor in her room at the inn. The hemp blankets were well woven and soft to the touch. Along one wall was an alter to the household kami. On the opposite wall was a rod for her to fold her clothing over. She had been given a hemp robe to sleep in. This, too, was well woven, finer than the blankets. Her flute and ribbon were on a small table in the corner under the rod. She held her obi in her lap, running her fingers over the embroidery absently. The remaining two walls held the door and window.

She searched the night sky, looking for solace or direction or comfort. She felt lost, even though both Sesshoumaru and Subaru told her she belonged. There was something different about them. Maybe it's just that they can use power, she thought, but that didn't sit right in her mind. She sighed and leaned back against the window frame, looking at the sky. The moon was halfway to being gone and the air held a crispness that spoke of the rapid approach of winter. She sighed again, shivering slightly and rose from the window. Subaru said tomorrow would be a long day and that she needed her rest. Laying down on the futon, she placed the obi under her cheek and closed her eyes.

Sesshoumaru sat quietly in his room, listening to Nanashi and thinking about Subaru's warning to him. He stared at the walls of his room, almost defying them to do something, almost disappointed that they didn't. She needs protection, and I can protect her. Why was she afraid of me?

When are you going to tell her the truth? This last thought startled him. He shook his head, trying to dislodge the thought, but it remained and continued, how do you expect her to trust you if you don't tell her the truth?

I haven't lied, he thought back viciously.

No, the voice conceded, but you haven't told the truth either. She knows it and you know she knows it.

What do you know? What do you care?

You shouldn't disregard your conscience so easily, the voice laughed back at him. The laughter faded and he was alone with his thoughts again.

Subaru sat on her futon, meditating over the events of the day and trying to prepare for tomorrow. In her minds eye, she again saw the bird of prey descend in front of her. She bowed in greeting, "Welcome, Taliesin."

The bird transformed, "Greetings, Lady Subaru. I saw your students on my way to you. Both of them were thinking very loudly."

"It's been a busy day here." Subaru hedged.

"I can tell. Did you know that Nanashi suspects that you and Sesshoumaru are different from her?" Subaru looked at him in surprise. "I did say they were thinking loudly. She was overwhelmed by the whole situation and he wants to protect her. I have to admit, I hassled him a bit about that."

"Hassled him? What do you mean by that?" Subaru had never heard the phrase before and didn't understand quite what it meant.

Taliesin blushed slightly above his golden facial hair, "I asked when he was going to tell her the truth about himself. He didn't like the challenge."

Subaru gave him a wry look, "No, I wouldn't think he would. Did he identify you as separate?"

"Like you do, milady? No, he thought it was part of his own thinking. I didn't think he'd be receptive to seeing another person in his mind. I did not talk with Nanashi at all. She is in a very uncertain place in her mind and needs to work things out before she can be ready for me to talk with her."

"What brings you again tonight, Taliesin?"

"I wanted to see how things went for you today. I hope everything went well."

"Yes, today went well. Lord Inutaisho has a temper, but with age he has learned to hear things out. He wishes to meet the girl, but I would prefer for that to wait as long as possible, for her sake. She does not yet know that her mother was a demon, as she doesn't know that Sesshoumaru and I are demons. What puzzles me is that she is not a halfling. I think the magic used to bind her mother must have something to do with that, but I don't know what it could be. I have never run across a spell that will trap a demon like that before. Is this kind of magic known where you are?" She didn't know why, but she felt comfortable talking with this strange man. His eyes, though strangely colored, were kind and held wisdom belied by his youthful looking face, despite of it strange covering of hair.

"There are rumors of magic that can capture the fair folk, but I have been told it is not possible, that the magic of the fair folk is stronger than the magic of men. I think that to perform such magic, one must put their soul in danger. To trap the fair folk is to cause considerable harm and that harm always returns three-fold." His face was serious as he spoke these words, losing all traces of humor that danced when he spoke before.

"Harm returns three-fold? I am not familiar with that."

"We are taught laws of magic. I do not know if they apply to the fair folk, but they apply to men. `Any energy you send out will return to you three-fold' and `And do what thou wilt be the challenge, so be it in love that harms none, For this is the only commandment, by magic of old be it done. Eight words the Wiccan Rede fulfill: If it harms none, do what thou will.' These are the words first taught to any who wish to learn magic where I am from. These words become part of those who practice magic so much so that we cannot act against them effectively."

Subaru was impressed by the reverence and fervor in his voice when he spoke these words. Old as she was in the ways of magic, this was new to her. "I like your rede, Taliesin. There are many who would do well to live by it."

He gave her a lopsided grin, "There are always many who would do well to live by the rede. There would be no need to negotiate or supervise battles." He shrugged, "I suppose if everyone obeyed the rede, then we would be with the gods and not on the earth. As much as I enjoy our conversation, Lady Subaru, I must return. I will come again, if you permit it."

"I would welcome you, Taliesin. Farewell," she said as he changed forms and left her.

A/N The full Wiccan Rede can be found here: http://www.witchvox.com/basics/rede.html