InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Lessons Begin ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next day found them gathered in the study, Nanashi trying to move a small dish across the room. Her frustration was palpable to the other two watching her. The dish moved in fits and starts, sometime clattering to the floor after hovering briefly.

Subaru could feel the girls control over her power was chaotic at best and tried to instruct her as well as she knew how, but she too was becoming frustrated. "Let it flow out of you, Nanashi, don't fight it."

In a fit of frustration, the dish flung itself against the far wall as Nanashi let out a frustrated sigh. She was immediately sorry for her loss of control and began to shake as she sputtered out an apology, "I'm sorry, Subaru-sensei."

"Sorry for what, my dear? You have shown that you can indeed get the dish across the room, now we just need to work on controlling its movement," Subaru smiled at the girl.

Nanashi looked at Subaru in amazement, "You're not angry? Takako-obasan was always angry when I lost control."

Subaru noticed that Sesshoumaru, though remaining quiet, was becoming upset and shot him a quelling glance. "No, Nanashi, I am not angry. It takes time to learn control and along the way, I do not expect you to have perfect control. In some ways it is better if you loose control because it shows that you can do what you are trying to do. Now that you know you can get the dish across the room, why don't you try again?"

The dish picked itself up shakily and slowly made its way across the room. Its path was still uncertain but this time it did not fall. It set itself down on the table with a clatter. Nanashi smiled a weary smile at Subaru. Subaru was concerned at how much energy it took out of the girl to do such a simple task, but that could be corrected later. "Very good, Nanashi. One more time and we'll rest for today."

The girl nodded and the dish shakily picked itself up, only to clatter back to the table as Nanashi fell. Sesshoumaru was by her side, catching her before she reached the ground and Subaru jumped over the table that was between her and the girl. She was pale and breathing rapidly. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry," she gasped over and over.

Subaru looked at the girl, "For what, Nanashi? You did nothing to be sorry for. I should be the one apologizing. It seems I pushed you farther than you could go today. Let's go eat and then rest tomorrow will be a new day."

Nanashi barely managed to stay awake long enough to eat and needed help to get into her room. When she was in bed, Subaru and Sesshoumaru returned to the study to discuss the day's lesson. "She can use power, I don't doubt that, but why is it only when she's frustrated or upset?"

"Her bruises were because she used power and now she is afraid?" Sesshoumaru ventured, controlling the anger he felt at people who would dare harm her.

Subaru gave him a searching look, satisfied with the degree of control he was showing. "That is possible. It will just take time, then. We cannot rush her, or we will be causing her harm," internally, Subaru was surprised at this choice of wording. She continued, "Speaking of which, we need to tell her the truth about ourselves. She has an impression that we are not human. We need to tell her the truth before it can do too much damage and before she will reject us completely for waiting too long."

Sesshoumaru looked mildly uncomfortable. "I know we need to tell her, but I don't think she will react well at all. In her dreams, she saw my true form, tearing her apart. I don't want her to remember that."

Subaru made a decision that was very painful, but necessary. "Sesshoumaru, do you remember Lady Amaya?" He looked at her blankly, nodding slightly. She took a deep breath, "Nanashi's obi was Lady Amaya's. She needs to know the truth."

"But how? She is not hanyou, she is human!" he protested, even though he could see the truth in her eyes. He glared at her a moment longer, hoping to change the truth, then sighed in resignation, "How are we going to tell her that?"

Subaru sighed, "I think we will just have to tell her and pray for the best. The longer we wait, the more harm will result. We must tell her in the morning."

Sesshoumaru looked ready to protest but thought better of it and nodded with his eyes down cast. He left the study and went to his room, where he lay down with a heavy heart.