InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Truth and consequences ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I'm thinking of auditioning a new beta reader. My current reader has become very busy and is actually behind in her duties (oh, the shame). Anyway, as beta reader, I'd ask that you have enough time to keep up with me (I am two chapters ahead of where I post) and be able to give feed back to directional questions (I know where the story goes, but sometimes I'm not sure exactly which path to take to get there). If interested, feel free to email me (hcolleen@cox.net).

Subaru sat in her study long after Sesshoumaru left her. Se sincerely hoped the girl could withstand learning the truth. She hoped the girl could learn to trust them. She was almost disappointed when dawn began to creep along the horizon and Taliesin had not visited her. She shook herself mentally for that. Taliesin was surely busy and had more to do that visit a demon every night. She rose easily from her night's vigil and made her way to the dining room. She met Nanashi at the door and Sesshoumaru was already waiting inside. They sat down and began eating in silence.

As they were about to leave the table, Subaru began, "Nanashi, I have some things to tell you, about your mother, yourself and us." Subaru looked at the girl, who was pale, and at Sesshoumaru, who was rigid, before continuing, "Your mother was a demon named Amaya." Nanashi swallowed visibly and became paler. "She was taken by force and held under magic sixteen years ago. During that time, she became pregnant with you. She escaped just before your birth and gave her life for you to live." Nanashi was beginning to tremble, her eyes pleading with Subaru to stop, but Subaru continued, "Lady Amaya was the sister-in-law of the Lord of the Western Lands' wife and Sesshoumaru is their son. He is a demon, as am I."

Subaru and Sesshoumaru found themselves trapped against the walls, unable to move while Nanashi sat in the center of the room, holding her head and rocking back and forth. From her mouth and from her mind came a series of incoherent statements, pleading for it to not be true, for it to go away, and of fear. Suddenly, Nanashi stood up, bolted from the room, and Subaru and Sesshoumaru fell in ungraceful heaps on the floor. Sesshoumaru made a move to follow Nanashi but was restrained by Subaru's hand. "Let her sort this out on her own. She will be back when she is ready."

"She wasn't ready to hear, but you told her anyway! And so bluntly! You didn't even try to temper your words!"

Subaru pinned him with a vicious glare, "I did as I thought best. Do not second guess me, whelp. I have been alive a lot longer than you have. She needed to know the truth, the whole of the truth. If I had tried to temper it, I doubt she would have heard the whole of it. Now, you will leaver her alone until she approaches you. You will tell her the truth."

"What makes you think that she will come to me, witch?"

Subaru nailed him with another glare and waited to answer until he began to squirm under her gaze. "Because, whelp, you are her tenshi, you rescued her, and even though you are a demon, you did this for her. She will approach you before she approaches me. But you must wait for her!"

Sesshoumaru left the dining room and followed the traces of the girl through the house. She had returned to her room and he could hear her inside weeping uncontrollably. He desperately wanted to go in and comfort her, but with Subaru's warning ringing in his mind, he opted instead to sit outside her door until she was ready to come out. Gradually the sounds of crying diminished, but she did not come out. The servants brought food for lunch and set it outside her door, and still she did not come out. Dinner passed, as did the night, and still she remained in her room. Three days passed, him waiting outside her room, listening to her movements, waiting for her to come out.

Finally, the door opened. Her face was pale around her red rimmed eyes, but her gaze to him was determined. Her voice was soft, but the kind of softness that covers a core of stone, "It's true, isn't it?"

He held her eyes and nodded, "Yes, it's true; we are demons, as was your mother."

She studied him silently for a moment. "I remember a dream, you became a beast. That's true, isn't it?"

He winced inwardly, but continued to meet her glare, "Yes, I am a dog demon, that is my true form."

She continued to hold him with her eyes, "Why did you help me?"

"Subaru sent me for one who had wielded power while she was watching her scrying bowl. I didn't know it was exactly you I was going to help. When I saw you, I could tell you were in a lot of pain and that made me angry. When those thugs attacked you, had you not thrown them from you, I would have to spare you any more pain." He felt naked under her gaze and fought the urge to squirm away from her penetrating eyes.

She tilted her chin slightly, "Why do you care about me?"

Gods, he thought, unsure of what prayer he wanted to offer up, "You were in pain and frightened and I was sent to you because you are powerful. I wanted to stop your pain and ease your fears." He blushed, "No one's ever thought of me as an angel before and that's what I want to be for you." He dropped his eyes to the floor as she continued to scrutinize him. For a long moment, they stood there.

"And it is true about my mother being taken?"

"As far as I know. I was very young, I hadn't even come to Subaru for training yet, when she went missing. I remember very little about her, other than she had a beautiful smile and a gentle laugh. She always was happy and everyone loved her. She was easy to love; she always had a kind word for everyone." He looked up at her and gave her a small smile, "I remember one time, I was playing in some mud even though I wasn't supposed to and she found me. Instead of scolding me, she joined in the fun and talked my father out of being angry with me." His smile faded, "I didn't understand at the time why she didn't come to visit anymore. I didn't know what happened to her until Subaru told me."

Her eyes were thoughtful as she continued to look at him. She sighed and gave him a watery smile, "Thank you, Sesshoumaru-sama, I knew nothing of her. Let's get some food." She did not speak the rest of the night, only bowing to Subaru when they reached the dining room. Upon returning to her room, she turned to face Sesshoumaru, who had followed her, reached up to touch his cheek and said, "Get some sleep, tenshi, I will be alright." Her face was somber and her eyes held concern for his well being. That she did not show fear elated him, and he fought his desire to embrace her, bowing instead and wishing her a good night.

1