InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ Plans and Prophecies ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A week later, Subaru was so anxious to meet with Taliesin she was having trouble maintaining a meditative state. He arrived as a bird of prey and quickly changed shape. His face was grim and Subaru waited with baited breath for him to speak. He sighed and sat in the nothingness before speaking. "The omens point that Nanashi should come, but that she will be tried when she is here. I can't find out anymore than that, milady, except that her guardian will be tried as well…guardians, two of them," he frowned at his statement.

"Two? I was only going to send Sesshoumaru with her. Should I send someone else?"

Taliesin frowned, his gazed locked in the middle distance, not focused on anything. "No, her other guardian is here." He paused, cocked his head as if listening to something only he could hear. A confused expression crossed his face, "I am to be her other guardian. They should arrive in time for Imbolc, the beginning of spring. No one will think it odd if the fair folk join us then."

Subaru frowned at him, "What is Imbolc? And why are you to be her other guardian?"

"Imbolc celebrates the first stirrings of life after winter. Cows and goats begin to flow with milk. It's a time to celebrate the renewal of life and the warming of the earth. It occurs in two months. I was just told that I was to be her other guardian. I don't know why. I am, at times, called a prophet, whether I wish it or not." He looked embarrassed at this last statement.

"A prophet? You did not tell me before."

"I don't like to put myself above others, and I don't always know what I'd like to know. Sometimes, I could find out more consulting omens or talking to other people than I can from a prophecy. It is a double-edged gift, milady, and I believe you can understand why I prefer not to talk too much about it."

She bowed her acknowledgement. "So, in two months, I will send them to you. How will they find you?"

Taliesin rubbed his chin, which was showing signs of his beard returning. "Hmmm….that's a good question. Maybe I could cast a circle and send up a flare for them to follow? But I think it might be wise to test that plan out before we settle on it. Are you up for a trip, milady?" he grinned at her in challenge.

Subaru was caught between two desires. She did want to meet Taliesin in person, but she did not like to leave her home. She also didn't shrink away from challenges. After a moment, "I think I would like a trip."

His grin widened, "How about next week?"

She blanched slightly, hoping for more time to prepare, but also having her pride. "You're awfully eager, Taliesin, to meet this old demon," she hedged.

Unrepentantly, "Yes, I am. I have never met a demon, old or otherwise, and look forward to it. How long would it take you to travel here?"

He obviously wasn't going to allow her to delay or, at least, not with out a very very strong argument. She sighed, resigned, "Probably two hours."

Ignoring her tone, "Excellent, milady. Next week, instead of meeting here, we will meet in the physical world. I look forward to it." He shifted into his bird of prey form and left her to her thoughts.

So, Nanashi had to suffer more. Subaru did not like that idea at all. Sesshoumaru would suffer as well. She liked that even less. But, apparently, it was their fates, and that was something she could not argue against. She was only a demon, after all, not a god to direct the footsteps of those she cared for. How the gods must suffer when they know they must direct their children into pain, she thought. Worried, she fell into a restless sleep.