InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Angel of Mercy ❯ As the Fates Decree ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The next evening, after supper, Sesshoumaru entered Subaru's study unbidden. He sat across the table from her, waiting for her to acknowledge his presence. Subaru made him wait, she wasn't sure how to tell him that he and Nanashi would suffer in Britain. She was sure, however, that he would not like the answer and possibly argue with her to not send them. For almost two hours, they sat in silence. He sat quietly, not moving. She continued with her correspondences and scrying. She ran out of tasks to keep her busy and sighed in resignation. Looking up, she quietly spoke, "Sesshoumaru?"

Hearing his sensei sigh, he knew that she would soon speak. He was surprised when she only spoke his name, though. "What did Taliesin say?" he asked, coming to the point that had weighed heavily on his mind for the past week, more heavily the past two hours. He guessed that it would not be pleasant because she had made him wait so long.

"He said that you two will go and that you both will be tried while there, but this is your fates," she answered reluctantly.

He remained silent while his mind protested this news. Trials meant suffering, and she had suffered enough. He didn't want to subject her to more pain. He also knew better, most of the time, than to argue with Subaru. He was unaware that his inner conflict showed on his face and Subaru was watching him intently. Almost without volition, the words "Why must she suffer?" escaped his lips.

Gently, "I wish I knew, segare, but I am not being told that, neither is Taliesin."

"And you trust him?" he challenged her

"Enough to agree to visit him in person next week."

Sesshoumaru gaped openly at his sensei, convinced she'd taken leave of what sense she had.

"I have to know that you and Nanashi will be able to travel there safely. I am well able to take care of myself, Sesshoumaru."

"How will you get there? How will you even know where he is?"

"That is why I must go, to find where he is and to make sure you can follow. I will travel through the void to get there and he will attempt to create a signal I can find in the void. All in all, I should only be gone the night. If you didn't know I was going, I don't think you'd miss me." She hid her anxiety from him and appeared calm. In her mind, however, the possibilities were running riot. She could get lost. Without a set destination, traveling through the void was almost a sure way to never return to the physical world. She could become trapped. Amaya had been caught, after all, by humans. It could be a trap and she could be killed out right.

"I will go with you when you go." His tone brooked no disagreement.

She didn't like that idea, but she could see reasons to allow him. Also, denying him could lead to other unpleasantness. If she refused, Sesshoumaru could talk with is father and he could order her to allow him to travel with her. Although she was fairly independent, she did reside in Inutaisho's lands, who, if he wanted, could make her leave. Given his tone, she believed he would go to his father if she refused. "As you wish, my lord," she bowed.

He frowned at her, unused to her deferring to his rank in any way. Allowing a grunt to pass through his throat, he rose and left the room. He was unhappy with what he had learned. He was convinced Subaru had succumbed to some kind of madness. There was no other explanation for subjecting his Nanashi to more…..his mind paused…My Nanashi? His body paused outside his door. My Nanashi, he thought again, mentally laughing. When did she become mine? he asked himself. Before he began to explore his feelings, he let himself into his room. He stood looking out at the courtyard, show glistening in the moonlight. His eyes didn't really take in the sight, however. His eyes saw Nanashi, saw her smile at him. His heart thumped against his chest and his stomach fluttered. He wondered what this meant, but, instinctively, knew. He loved her. It was that simple, that complicated, that unknown. He spent the night at his window, seeing and not seeing what was before him.

A/N: segare means my son. Why oh, why did my muse decree such a complicated story line? Just in case you can't tell, I've got a bit to go on this, and it's difficult to write, but between wanting to keep my readers happy (I'm guessing no reviews are good reviews :D ) and to keep my muse from driving me batty, I must go on. I have a two page plot summary, and I'm just past halfway with that…but there's a lot more angst and occult coming. I'm thinking about starting another fic, but I wonder if I'll be able to keep them straight. It would be a YuYu Hakusho fic, if I did start one. (It's circling around in my head and sometimes interfering with this one…maybe I should start it? But I'm not sure about the characterization because I've only read the manga, and it's only in the 5th volume…) Let me know if you're interested either through review or e-mail.