InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Bacchanalia ❯ There's always a price ( Chapter 7 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
" " Speaking
[ ] Thoughts
--- Scene change

-------------------------

Kagome closed her eyes and fought back tears of frustration. It just wasn't fair that women were the more emotional sex and therefore more likely to fall in love after a night like theirs. To Inuyasha it had been just a night of fun, probably like any other of the nights he'd had with women before her, but to Kagome it was another matter.

Nestled into his warm body, she listened to his even heartbeat, committing it and other small nuances to memory. The softness of his chest beneath her cheek, the familiar scent of him, the leanness of his torso aganist hers, the long arms that held her close, the way her leg curved natrually over his. Content to just stay where she was and even wishing she could stay forever, she went over the past twenty four hours with a smile.

She'd had a marvelous time, despite the uncomfortable start of their journey, they'd quickly taken to one another, due mostly to his outrageous flirting and rakish behavior. He'd also surprised her in the library and the greenhouse, showing a serious, responsible side of him that was rarely seen or spoken of. The party had been an experience in itself, one she'd forever remember, as well as the aftermath.

Inuyasha's reputation as a rake and lady-killer was well earned, as a lover he was everything a girl could hope for in a man. Sweet and gentle, thoughtful, giving, and oh-so-experienced. He knew exactly where to touch, how far to push, when to speed up and when to slow down. He had her wanting him as she'd never thought she could want a man and kept it getting better and better, doing as promised and keeping her going until she could take no more and finally gave in to exhaustion, drifting into a deep, sated sleep even as the morning sun began to shine through the heavy drapes.

It was late in the day, despite the dark curtains blocking out the light, there was no denying the fact that the sun was high in the sky and they would have to face the day soon enough. Not wanting to deal with that yet, she snuggled closer and pressed a kiss to his shoulder, sliding her hand from its resting place on his chest beneath his arm to get a better hold on him.

She was on the verge of falling back asleep when she felt him wake, smiling at the feel of his lips softly brushing along her forehead. Keeping her eyes closed, she accepted his sweet caresses, even as his hand moved to gently rub along her back and his leg tightened around hers, bringing her closer to his warmth.

He must have realized she was awake, because he finally pulled his lips from her face and whispered a groggy hello. "Hey" she whispered back, looking up at his sleepy smile, rewarding him with one of her own.

"Sleep well?"

"Of course," she nodded, giving a small yawn, "Although it seems odd to be waking at such a late hour, it must be past mid-day. You have no clock in your room."

"I can't stand the ticking," Inuyasha shrugged, "Besides, I have plenty of servants to wake me."

"Oh? Well they're a bit late don't you think?" Kagome giggled, snuggling close, "Not that I mind of course."

"Hmm..." Inuyasha smiled again and idly ran his hand through her messy hair, "They wouldn't dare wake me after a night like last. As it is I'm a horrible grouch in the morning, and if I don't get enough sleep its worse. They've learned their lesson, after a night of partying they wait for me to ring for breakfast, no matter how late I might be."

"You can't be that awful," Kagome giggled, "You seem perfectly nice to me."

"Ah, but what man wouldn't be perfectly nice after waking with a beautiful woman naked in his arms?" Inuyasha saw her blush and chuckled, sliding down a bit so he could be eye-level with her and looking deeply into those lovely brown orbs. "How are you feeling? No regrets?"

Kagome shook her head, "No, none, I'm perfectly content, and of course, grateful."

"Grateful? For what? For having one of the best nights of my life? Don't be absurd," he saw the sincerity in her eyes and shook his head at her, leaning forward to place a kiss on her sweet lips. In all the times he'd kissed a woman, never had he enjoyed it so much as he did with her for some reason, it was intoxicating.

Feeling the tenderness in his actions, Kagome kissed back, langorously exploring the contours of his mouth, his tongue, his teeth. She hardly noticed when he rolled over and settled above her, his arms crossed beneath her back kept his weight from crushing her down into the mattress. All that mattered was this moment of perfect bliss, the steady beating of their hearts, their bodies tangled in a gentle embrace, the calm, tranquil, and yet intense connection of their mouths.

When they finally broke apart, after a few more pecks to each other's cheeks and soft, loving caresses, they lay for a few more minutes enjoying the peace until a soft rumbling cut into the moment. A giggle escaped Kagome even as she looked up at a sheepish Inuyasha beside her, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly, "Sorry, seems its time for breakfast."

"That's ok, I agree," she sat up beside him, bringing the sheet with her modestly.

"And still you cover yourself," Inuyasha smirked and sat up, kissing her bare shoulder quickly before turning to pull on the bell chord beside his bed.

Hearing her shuffling movements, he was about to ask where she thought she was going when he saw her standing beside the bed in his discarded shirt. It was much too large for her small frame, haging down to her knees with the neck ties down between her breasts. She looked both adorably sweet and sexy, and he wondered briefly why he'd never found any of his mistresses so alluring when they'd donned his clothes. It usually annoyed him.

"Umm, I just need to relieve myself," she explained, toying with the long sleeves, trying to roll them up.

"My bathroom's right behind you, the door on the right," he pointed, watching her nod and hurry over.

Standing and giving a good stretch, he grabbed his robe and slipped it on just as Myouga knocked on the door and entered, glancing about the darkened room. "Finally awake my lord? I shall have your breakfast in but a moment, I meant to ask however..."

"Make it for two," Inuyasha ordered, wondering about the time suddenly, "And how late is it Myouga? Has the boy woken yet?"

"Yes sir, young Shippo has had both his breakfast and luncheon and is currently occupied in the library with a packet of colors and some paper." Myouga was frowning in clear dissaproval, his sour look deepening when Kagome stepped from the bathroom and froze at the door. "It is well past one your grace, if you will exucse me."

Without waiting for a reply, he closed the door and left the room, after shaking his head slightly at the girl. [He's playing with fire, that miss will bring noting but trouble.]

Feeling guilty at the man's dissaproving looks, Kagome felt a cold chill run through her and crossed her arms, head hung low in shame. Warm hands rubbed her arms in a soft reassurance and she lifted her face to look up at Inuyasha, who simply reminded her, "No regrets."

"No," she whispered, smiling back and moving to be held in his arms again.

They eventually moved back to the bed and settled in, Inuyasha propped up with pillows against the headboard and holding Kagome between his legs on his lap. They chatted idly for a while, stealing a small kiss every now and then, tracing patterns on one another's body idly. When Myouga returned with the food, Inuyasha had him set it down beside them on the bed, ignoring the man's shaking head and making sure Kagome was too distracted to notice.

They didn't move away to eat, and Inuyasha went furthur in his attentions and ordered her to lay back and relax against him. He ignored the silverware, opting to use his hands and feed her with his own fingers. Not being one to miss out on the fun or be selfish, Kagome returned the favor, feeding him in the same way. It was something he'd done before, and yet again, he found this immenseley more pleasurable than he'd ever thought.

When that was taken care of, feeling warm and full, Kagome noticed a volume on his nightstand and moved to pick it up, surprised to find it was a collection of Shakespeare's Sonnets. The book was old and slightly wrinkled, proving it had been read many times.

"I told you I enjoyed his works," Inuyasha set down his wine glass and took the book from her, opening it randomly and began to read.

"From fairest creatures we desire increase

That thereby beauty's rose might never die..."

Kagome listened to his smooth voice reciting the words, feeling completely relaxed and at home. After finishing the first sonnet, he handed her the book and listened while she read, taking turns and reading a few. Taking a moment to re-fill their glasses, Kagome was kneeling in front of him and taking a sip when he made a comment that made her choke. Struggling to laugh, cough, swallow, and wipe her mouth at the same time, she finally calmed a bit and gave him a playful glare.

"Now I've got wine down my shirt," she pressed the material to the drops and winced at the stikiness.

"Wine hmm?" Inuyasha set down the book and reached over to grab her waist, pulling her forward to where he could reach out and lick off the few drops going down her neck. "Now that's tasty."

"Inuyasha!" Kagome squeaked and leaned back, "Its the middle of the day!"

"There is never a bad time," he laughed, trailing hot moist kisses along her exposed flesh.

"I'm all sticky though, and I still smell like oil," Kagome seemed to suddenly notice their scent.

Inuyasha placed one last kiss to her pulse and leaned back, an idea coming to mind suddenly, "How about a bath? Come on, you need to get cleaned up."

Grabbing the fruit they'd left, he dragged her over to the bathroom and surprised her by pulling aside a curtain at the far side of the room. There was a small set of stairs leading down to a small chamber. After waiting for him to light a few candles, Kagome gasped at the sight before her.

A large mosaic bath sat in the middle of the room, tiled floors and walls around it glistened in light blues and white, with golden taps at one side where the opening for the water to fill it was. Inuyasha beamed, "There's a cistern in the attic set up to keep warm water available at all times while I'm here, the piping brings it down and when I'm done it drains out to an underground deposit not far from the house."

"Wow," Kagome watched him sprinkle some salts into the water before removing his robe, completely unconcerned by his nakedness. "I thought I was the one who needed the bath?"

"Its big enough for the two of us," Inuyasha grinned, removing her shirt and pulling her into the water with him. It was definitely large enough to hold them both, and probably another four people also. The water was chilly, since he hadn't opened the taps, rather used the water that had been left for his bath the previous night.

Seeing her shiver, he sat down on the built in seat and waited to see what she'd do. Not surprisingly, she turned and looked for soaps. Finding some on a nearby tray, she picked them up and brought them to her nose, frowning a bit when she disliked the smell of one.

"Use the blue one," he called out, watching her pick up the one he'd given his last mistress and wincing. "Not that pink, the smell is awful."

Crossing to the tray, he reached over her and grabbed a brand new blue bar, shaped like a small star. Dipping it in the water while slipping his free hand around her waist and kissing her ear, "Allow me love."

Lifting his hand, he smoothly glided the soap over her back and shoulders, his other hand moving to gently rub the soapy skin and scrub it clean. Another familiar experience, bathing another's body, made new and more exciting by her innocent responses. She stood stiffly at first, unsure of how to react, but quickly melted beneath his tender minstrations when he made no move to do anything other than wash her off.

Grabbing a washcloth, he lathered soap into it and once again, scrubbed her body softly, hands itching to do more as he went over her smooth curves, those soft breasts he'd learned fit his palms perfectly, the slight dip in her belly, and the arch in her back. His hands were shaking from the effort of restraining himself, but he forced them to behave and keep with their task.

It came as a surprise when she moved her hands from where they'd hung limply at her sides and up his chest, sliding to cup his face and pull him up for a heated kiss. Unlike the night before she held nothing back, instead assaulting his mouth with her tongue, driving his already weakened control out the window.

Crushing their bodies together he gave as good as he got, mouth hungrily melding with hers, his hands roamnig freely over her slippery skin, kneeding and teasing once again. Kagome's legs wobbled and she figured his must have also when he suddenly moved back and sank down onto the seat, the water now chest high. Straddling his legs, Kagome whimpered when he broke off another kiss and sat back, his large hands gripping her waist.

She'd barely begun to open her eyes when he blew softly onto her skin, sending chills of both cold and desire through her body. "At this rate I don't think we'll be clean any time soon love." He chuckled, hands lifting along her body to gently cup her breasts and lift them from the water that lapped over the swells.

"I did promise to teach you as much as possible last night though," he gently blew on them and shivered in response to her soft trembling. "Should we continue with the next lesson?"

"If you don't finish I'll do something awful to you," Kagome whispered, gripping his shoulders tightly.

"Really?" that brought a wicked gleam to his eyes, releasing her and moving her furthur away on his legs. "What could that be?"

With an annoyed pout, Kagome tossed her head back and took a deep steadying breath, meeting his eyes with such a delightfully wicked gleam in hers that sent a shudder of excitement run through him. "Well, two can play at that game you know?"

Trailing her hands down his chest, she pulled them away and flattened one, using it as a paddle to stir the water between them in a circular motion. Although she hadn't touched him at all, the sensation of water swirling around him shocked Inuyasha to his core, wondering where a girl as innocent as Kagome had learned such a delicious trick. When she giggled at his response, he tossed away all ideas of playing and crushed her to him once again, their cries of pleasure soon ringing out throughout the small room.

------------------

"And what do you think of the goings on in your homeland? I heard you've been here for a few months but you must keep up with the times and politics of France still." Miroku easily rode beside the young noble, surprised by the great differences between carefreee Inuyasha and his older brother Sesshomaru.

One could hardly believe they were blood relations if not for their family's unmistakable silver hair, which he concluded had definitely come from their father. This level-headed man was nothing like his younger brother, with his heavy accent and even heavier opinions on politics. He came to and focused again on what he was saying.

"Sadly I must admit the country is a hotbed of trouble, the people are angry, the nobility is foolish, I say we are in for terrible times ahead." Sesshomaru's grave tone sent a chill down Miroku's spine. "I am looking for a place to relocate my wife as we speak, it is completely out of the question for me to stay with my younger brother. He has his ideas and I have mine, the two do not go well together."

"No, you don't seem much like your brother," Miroku quickly agreed, "In fact I'd be as bold to say, without offense of course, that you are as opposite as hot and cold."

"I assume I would be the latter?" Sesshomaru sounded amused, although his stoic expression was still set on his face.

"Well, Inuyasha certainly is forever getting into heated messes," Miroku chuckled and rubbed his neck uncomfortably.

"Quite, at least he always WAS getting himself into such messes, he's been warned to keep out of them." Sesshomaru glanced out the window. "I do believe he's all but wearing a chastity belt after the last meeting we had."

Miroku nodded, remembering Inuyasha's outburst about his high-minded, interfering, older brother, "I do wonder what you could have told him to bring him to such measures."

"Its simple, our father left us both a great inheritance, however with a few rules we must abide by. Number one, to have access to our money, besides being of age, we must be wed, a portion of the sum was already set apart for our wives. Half of the money will be under our control at that point." Sesshomaru saw him blink and nodded in agreement.

"Number two, we must beget an heir within the first five years of our marriage to recieve the other half. And the last rule stipulates that for no reason will divorce be tolerated. If we decide to divorce our wives we forfeith the money, lands, etc... and they go with our wives and children for the next generation."

Miroku whistled, shaking his head a little, "That's a lot to ask of a man such as Inuyasha."

"I imagine that's the reason our father set it up," Sesshomaru agreed, "I have no need to worry, my life is quite set. I have a loving wife, a healthy heir and another child on the way. If anyone is in trouble its Inuyasha."

"How so?"

"Did I forget to mention?" Sesshomaru took a minute to think, "Oh yes, I believe I did, you see it is also specified that we must be wed by the age of twenty five."

"Twenty five?!" Miroku gawked, "But Inuyasha will be twenty five this December!"

"Exactly, which leaves him with a mere four months to find a bride, woo her, and marry," Sesshomau shrugeed. "Not so very unheard of really."

"I'm just wondering who he'll end up with, he certainly hasn't shown interest in any young lady so far," Miroku frowned, going over the last few balls they'd attended. Inuyasha had barely tolerated the young ladies, nevermind falling in love with one. [Forget falling in love, he didn't even LIKE any of them.]

Feeling the carriage come to a stop, Miroku was brought out of his thoughts when the door opened and Sesshomaru stepped out, stretching his legs while Miroku followed suit. They were recieved by Inuyasha's butler Myouga, looking rather nervous and flustered by their unexpected arrival.

"Monsieur, My lord, we were expecting you tomorrow," he quickly led them up the steps to the house and nodded to the housekeeper, who scurried off to prepare them rooms.

"Where is that brother of mine?" Sesshomaru asked, surprised to hear a young boy answer him.

"He's in his room," the young child sat off to the side of the stairs, playing with a wooden top. "He hasn't left it all day."

"And who might you be?" Miroku asked, somehow knowing this would be the work of Kagome.

The boy stood and came over to bow curteously, "My name's Shippo Barton, I was on my way to the orphanage when our carriage was wrecked and the duke and Kagome brought me here."

"I knew it," Miroku smiled down at the child, "Nice to meet you Shippo, I'm Miroku Sinclair, Kagome's cousin, and might you know where my dear girl is?"

"I haven't seen her all day either," Shippo shrugged, "They came back really late from that party and haven't left the room since then. I think one of them might be sick actually, maybe both."

"Sick?" Miroku frowned, a heavy feeling settling uncomfortably in the pit of his stomach. [Tell me I didn't hear him say party?]

Shippo nodded, confused by the butler's signs to shush up and answering easily, "They were making all kinds of noises, moaning and strange cries that no healthy person would make. Maybe she got sick and he was helping her and then he got sick too 'cuz they were both making them."

"The idiot," Sesshomaru moved up the stairs, surprised when Miroku flew past him.

"If the bastard laid one hand on her I swear I'll..."

Shippo watched the men hurry up, turning confused eyes to a very weary Myouga beside him. "Why's Miroku so mad? If she was sick she'd need him to touch her right?"

Myouga sighed, knowing the boy had no idea what he'd just done, "Quite right my boy, now why don't you run along to the kitchen? I'll have Yura give you a tart."

----------------

[Beautiful]

Inuyasha looked down at the girl lying atop the pillows in the dying sunlight coming through the opened curtains. They'd eventually left the bath and come back to the room, opening the windows to let the warm sun and air dry their damp bodies. Tossing the pillows from the bed and chairs onto the floor, they lay atop them and took a short nap, waking to lay quietly together enjoying the sounds of the countryside.

Despite all they'd done over the last few hours, she was still such a sweet innocent, blushing every now and then at some remark or intimate caress. One night of debauchery was not enough to take away nineteen years of naïveté, and he was extremely thankful for that. Normally it would have bothered him that he hadn't taught her anything of the darker side of sex, but with Kagome he'd been different, he hadn't WANTED to teach her that. He'd wanted to teach her yes, but all the good with none of the bad. She gave off such a sense of childlike optimism, it made him completely understand Miroku's overprotectiveness. Hell, it had taken him by surprise to learn that he felt the same way - Kagome was the type who needed to be protected, someone like her needed never learn of the harsher aspects of life.

"Inuyasha?"

Her timid whisper brought him from his musings and back to the girl he'd been thinking of. "Yeah?"

"What are you thinking about? You looked so serious for a moment, " Kagome tucked a strand of hair behind his ear.

"You," he admitted, leaning down to place a soft kiss to her forehead, "I was thinking if Shakespeare had met you in a previous life, I'm nearly certain he would have written you a sonnet."

"Really?" Kagome smiled, the soft sunlight making her eyes sparkle even brighter than before.

"Mm-hmmm..." Inuyasha slipped his arms around her and held her close, his leg slipping between hers whlie they settled in more comfortably. "But since he's not here, I'll have to dedicate to you my favorite."

"Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
And every fair from fair sometime declines,
By chance, or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
But thy eternal summer shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou ow'st,
Nor shall death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
When in eternal lines to time thou grow'st;
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee."

"That's my favorite too," Kagome whispered, giving a sleepy yawn and kissig his shoulder, "Its getting a little chilly."

"Hold on," twisting back, he pulled on the blanket and tugged it from the bed, draping it over them before settling down again. "That should hold off the cold for now."

"Nice thinking," Kagome snuggled closer again and sighed, falling into an easy sleep, feeling safe and warm in his embrace.

"Sleep tight love," Inuyasha watched her fall asleep before closing his eyes and allowing himself to drift off, the sound of a carriage rumbling outside hardly registerig in his tired mind.

It came as quite a surprise when the doors were suddenly flung open and a furious shout echoed in the room.

"DAMN IT INUYASHA YOU GAVE ME YOUR WORD!"

Both Kagome and Inuyasha snapped up on the pillows, Kagome clutching the blanket to her shoulders. Inuyasha moved to block her with his body, feeling her shivering behind him, "Miroku? You were supposed to be gone longer!"

"Why you...!" Miroku was held back by a strong grip on his shoulder, a deep, heavily-accented voice cutting off his exclamation.

"Its quite obvious that neither of us was expected anytime soon, dress yourselves and be in the library in ten minutes," Sesshomaru urged the furious young lord from the room and closed the door behind them.

Cursing himself and his damned unrulyness, Inuyasha took a moment to realize how truly terrified Kagome was until the sound of her sniffling broke through his thoughts again. Turning to the girl behind him, he took one look at the tears in her eyes and felt his heart break, taking her into his arms once again. "Don't do that Kagome, shh... its ok love, everything will be ok... I promise..."

"No," Kagome whispered, shaking her head while clinging to him tightly, "Didn't you see? They both looked so angry! M-Miroku h-he..."

"He was angry at me sweetheart, not at you, I gave him my word that I'd behave and look what I've done, its not your fault." He squeezed her tight and wiped away her tears.

She shook her head and closed her eyes, "N-No, h-he looked s-so mad and dissapointed, I did that, I m-made him..."

"Sshhh... you didn't, don't cry Kagome, I can take anything as long as you don't cry..." Inuyasha rocked her slowly and continued to soothe her until she calmed, sending away Myouga when he was ordered to fetch them.

Once she was significantly recovered, he carried her to the bed and quickly dressed, going over to her room and finding her a simple gown she could wear. After cleaning up a bit, he brushed a few stray tears from her eyes and sighed, holding her close for comfort.

[I knew this was a possibility, I knew it and I took the chance. Now I'm going to have to face up to things, I messed up for the both of us.] Looking down yet again at the figure hiccuping in his arms, he kissed the top of her head and smiled wryly.

"What do you think they'll do?" she asked quietly

"I know exactly what Sesshomaru's thinking," Inuyasha lifted her chin to meet his eyes, "Tell me again what you were doing in London?"

Kagome frowned a little, giving a small shrug, "Enjoying the season? Having fun with Sango? I don't know, why?"

"What does every young lady hope to find there?"

"A husband," she replied easily enough, "The richer the better."

"Exactly my dear, and won't the ton be in shock once they hear the news? England's most eligible bachelor taken at last." Inuyasha watched her eyes widen and stepped back, allowing her time to think on that.

When the door was knocked on again, he touched her chin and met her eyes again, "What do you say love?"

"You can't marry me! I-I'm just a nobody! A country girl, a..." Kagome's words were cut off by that accented voice again.

"He certainly can marry you and marry you he will," Sesshomaru stood in the doorway, tall, proud, and quite set on the idea.

Miroku stood beside him and nodded, "Unless he wishes to find himself a new second and meet me in the morning."

"Second? Miroku you can't mean a duel?" she stopped at the reply given by the man in question.

"Of course I will marry her, I may be a rake but I am not without some honor," Inuyasha stared back calmly, "I accept the fault in this matter and will set things aright, beginning by giving Kagome the place she deserves and taking her as my wife."

Miroku nodded, turning his eyes down to his cousin, struggling to remain unaffected by her scared and doubtful expression, "I will send notice to your mother, she will want to be here."

"Wait! Don't I get any say in this?" Kagome settled her hands on her hips and glared at the three men around her. "What if I don't want to marry him?"

"You should have thought about that before you let him take you to bed!" Miroku snapped angrily, biting his cheek when she visibly flinched. He'd never yelled at her so harshly before, but then again, she'd never gotten int such a terrible mess. "Its too late now moppet, what's done's done, you'll both have to face up to it and take responsibility for your actions."

"But we didn't..." Kagome stopped when Inuyasha's hand slipped around her waist, "I mean, Inuyasha..."

"What about him? He knew well enough what might come of this," Sesshomaru reminded her. "As did you young lady. Neither of you is unaware of the wrongs you've done. It even makes a man wonder how well you knew of the consequences your actions might have. Were you by any chance hoping for...?"

"You finish that sentence and I'll call you out Sesshomaru, no matter how much I may like Rin, I wouldn't hesitate to leave her a widow if necessary," Inuyasha cut him off quickly before he could finish insulting Kagome.

"Now I'd like a moment alone if you two don't mind, there are some things we need to discuss," Inuyasha gestured towards the door.

"Haven't you been alone enough?" Sesshomaru argued, already heading out of the room.

Inuyasha ignored the comment and moved from her side to usher them out, closing the door firmly after they'd stepped past it. Going back to the headboard of his bed, he reached over and slid aside a panel of wood, opening a small compartment storing a few precious items he seldom carried with him. Finding what he wanted, he closed it again and turned to Kagome at the foot of the bed, quietly reaching over to take her by the waist and pull her back and up against him again.

Hearing her sniffle, he took a moment to hold her tight and kiss away her tears, smiling and lightening the mood with an easy chuckle, "And here I always believed my fiancee would cry of happiness when I got engaged, I never would have believed it if I had been told she'd cry in grief."

Kagome giggled and hiccuped, giving him a watery smile, "I'm not so very grieved for myself, but you didn't want to marry any time soon and I didn't mean for this to happen. Honestly Inuyasha, I never..."

"Of course you didn't," Inuyasha sighed and inwardly cursed his damned brother. "You're right, marriage is not something I looked forward to, but I must be honest and tell you I knew this day would come soon."

"Really?" Relaxing a little, Kagome rested against him with a small frown, "Why?"

Inuyasha explained about his father's inheritance, finishing off his story with a kiss to her neck, "So you see, I would have been looking for a bride in the next few months anyways."

"Oh that just makes it all so romantic," she muttered, pouting in annoyance, "I see now why you seem so very willing to accept responsibility and wed me."

"Now now love," he grinned down at her and shook his head, "Do you really believe I'm the type who would marry just any girl for my father's money? Money be damned, I have plenty to deal with already."

Kagome realized he was speaking the truth and blinked in confusion, "Then why...?"

"I like you," Inuyasha interrupted, playing with her hand in his, "You're intelligent, fun, caring, spirited, beautiful, shall I continue?"

Kagome was blushing and shook her head, remaining quiet when he tilted her chin up and met her eyes with his, "We're good together Kagome, we're friends and we get along well enough. I know a marriage that is not based on love might not be what you hoped for, but I can offer you a good life. Gowns and balls and..."

"I won't marry you for your money," she quickly informed him.

"I know, but you will still have all those things as my wife," he pointed out, pressing another gentle kiss to her lips.

"Can't you see we have something here? I know couples who would give anything to have this," he continued quietly, "How many marriages are formed because of wealth or power? And of those how many can bear to be in each other's presence?"

When she shrugged, he continued, "We have a steady foundation, perhaps in time we'll even come to feel more strongly for one another. Friendship can evolve into love, I truly believe we can make this work."

"Yes... and there's really no choice, is there?" Kagome whispered, nestling her head into the crook of his neck, "Miroku and Sesshomaru won't be satisfied unless we marry."

Inuyasha nodded, reaching beside him and picking up the item he'd retrieved earlier, lifting them both up to sit facing each other. He took hold of her left hand and slipped a small band onto it, leaving it at the tip of her middle finger.

"So, Miss Kagome Higurashi, will you have me, Inuyasha Drake, Devilish Duke of Wyvern, as your husband?"

With a short nod she gave him a warm smile and agreed, slipping the ring the rest of the way to settle into place. They sat there quietly for a moment, looking down at the bold ruby on her hand and wondering about what they had just agreed to.
"I trust you'll be careful with that, its the only item I have that ties both my parents together." Inuyasha idly traced along the edge of the stone. "It was in my father's family for generations and should have gone to his wife, but he said he never could give it to her."

"He gave it to your mother though?"

Inuyasha nodded, "He said it felt right, giving his family's most valuable heirloom to his real love."

Kagome blinked, feeling a sense of uneasiness at the implications of that. "Should I be wearing it?"

"Yes, at least until the wedding, I know it seems a bit gaudy so I'll understand if you want it put away afterwords," Inuyasha linked their fingers together. "I believe it was made by King Henry III's jeweler, the famed William of Gloucester back in 1253."

"Oh wow," Kagome inspected the ruby carefully, the rich color easily proving its worth.

"I wore it around my neck once to a masque, dressed as a Devil, hence my name of Devilish Duke." Inuyasha chuckled at the memory.

"I was thinking about that," Kagome lay back in his arms again. "Do you think the title will be taken away?"

He shrugged, yawning sleepily, "I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply given to you as well. What would you say, would you accept the title, my Devilish Dutchess?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------< br />
Ok, don't kill me, this is far from over I assure you. I hope you all liked this chapter, it seemed inevitable that they'd get caught ne-? Well, I've still got some trouble up my sleeve, so you'll have to keep reading to see

BTW- I know Inuyasha's WAY OOC for now, we'll see more of his gruff anger later on. (Its just so nice to have him be a gentleman for once!)

Thanks to everyone who's reviewed!