InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Man Steals the Bride ❯ It's Just A Good Book ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Dr. Pepper, Keebler's Crackers, Harry Potter or anything else I may be mistaken to own in this story. I also make no profit off of this fic either. Nothing, nada, zilch. Okey-dokey? Good, now you may move onto the fic.

The Best Man Steals the Bride

By: Msmelanie

Chapter Seven: It's Just a Good Book

Day: Monday

Place: Abe Hall/Literature Class

Time: 4:40

Inuyasha sat by Kagome's side again as they waited for the teacher to stumble in. Right now, they were taking care of when Inuyasha could come by for the books.

“I hate this.” Inuyasha grumbled.

“Really? I thought you were sort of enjoying it.” Kagome frowned.

“No, I mean reading on my own. I'll never make it!” He pushed his head back. “Let's just keep reading to each other in your dorm.”

Kagome looked a little amazed. “You want to keep reading out loud to each other? For the whole series?”

Inuyasha shook his head yes. `The closer I get to her, the better Hojo's chances are.'

Kagome took a deep breath and blew. “Well...okay. I guess.. But we'll have to decide on times to read then.”

“Fine.” Inuyasha yawned. “I'll follow you to your dorm again,”

Place: Miroku's Dorm

Miroku looked out his dorm room window. “There he goes again. Why do I get the feeling this isn't as helpful as it seems?”

Place: Kadowaki Hall

Time: 5:46

Eri blinked as Kagome began unlocking her door. “Kagome?” She pointed at Inuyasha again.

“Literature partner.” Kagome reminded her friend as she swung open her door.

Inuyasha stepped into Kagome's dorm room and looked around. It was exactly the same as before.

Kagome closed the door and stuffed her things in the closet. “So...how exactly are we going to do this?”

“Well, first you should know this.” Inuyasha frowned as he crossed his arms. “I have a life. So I'm not spending all my free time at your dinky little dorm.”

Kagome humped. “Well, contrary to what you might believe, I have a life too. And I'M not spending all my time reading with you either. So, let's decide here and now what we should do.”

Inuyasha laid back on her bed. “You know what we should do? Play it be ear.”

“By ear?” Kagome repeated.

“Yeah, I'll call ya.” Inuyasha answered.

Kagome frowned. “Were you even LISTENING? I repeat. I have a life too! I'm not going to drop everything just to read with you.”

“Blah, blah, blah.” Inuyasha said intelligently. “Fine kitty, what do you wanna do?”

Kagome put her finger to her lip. “How about it goes two ways? You can call me, and if I'm not busy, we can read or vice versa.”

Inuyasha groaned. “Come over to this dorm?”

“Well, we can go to the library?” Kagome suggested.

Inuyasha turned that theory down quickly. “Libraries are too quiet. It's creepy.”

Kagome chuckled. `Wow, the great Inuyasha being creeped out by a library?'

“Fine, we'll read here then.” he agreed, looking up to face her. “But if you call me, you have to drag your butt over to my house instead.”

Kagome stuck her hand out. “Deal?”

Inuyasha shook it quickly and let go. “Fine, so we gonna read tonight or what?”

Kagome smiled as she jumped on her bed. “Okay, one second.” She reached for her book and brought it down.

Inuyasha made himself comfortable on her bed. “I'll start if you get supper started kitten.”

Kagome frowned. “It's Kagome.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“And I don't really have much.” Kagome admitted as she looked at her cupboard. “You like ravioli?”

“Fine, where were you?” Inuyasha asked in a bored tone, not really even listening to her question.

“At the owl, bugging Hagrid.” Kagome replied as she dumped the ravioli into her Tupperware and threw away the can. “Around Chapter 5.”

Inuyasha thumbed through it. “Alright. `Give him five knuts, said Hagrid sleepily.” Then he chuckled.

Kagome looked at him. “What's so funny?”

Inuyasha just looked at her incredulously. “He's giving him five knuts. Knu-never mind. It's not funny if I gotta explain it.”

Kagome gave herself a few seconds before it hit her. “Oh!” She covered up her mouth. “...that's real tasteful.” she frowned.

“Excuse me for not having royal grace.” Inuyasha replied sarcastically as he went to look back down in the book and read some more.

Kagome ignored Kikuchi's rude tact as she finished fixing the ravioli. After she was done, Inuyasha knew his cue. He quit and tossed the book to the side of the bed. “Food and Ranma go hand in hand.”

Kagome knew what he was hinting at. “Well, it's just one more episode...so I guess we can watch a bit.”

25 minutes later...

Kagome laughed at Inuyasha. “You still haven't got it.”

Inuyasha kept rubbing his hands on his face, trying to get a smudge of ravioli off that Kagome insisted he had.

“Nope.” Kagome continued to chuckle at Inuyasha's failing attempts. “More to the right.”

“Are you tellin' the truth?” Inuyasha frowned as he rubbed more to the right.

“Not your right, my right.” Kagome corrected.

“Huh?”

Kagome smiled as she walked over to him. She took one of her fingers and touched his upper left cheek. “There.”

Inuyasha touched where her finger was and rubbed. “Got it?”

Kagome finally shook her head yes.

“Man, how'd it get way up there?” Inuyasha wondered aloud.

“I don't know but sauce could go anywhere when you suck it up straight from the bowl.” Kagome smiled.

Inuyasha shrugged. “Why waste extra sauce? It's still food.”

Kagome just shook her head, realizing they were delaying themselves again. “We should be getting back to the story.”

“Kay, but you are reading.” Inuyasha insisted.

So from then on, Kagome and Inuyasha read into the night...

Time: 5:45

Inuyasha laughed. “Shit, these twins are cool.”

Kagome laughed beside him. “I should have known you'd enjoy them the best.”

“Yeah. Exploding toilets.” Inuyasha looked lost in thought.

“Inuyasha.” Kagome warned. “You aren't thinking about anything bad, are you?”

“Me?” Inuyasha pointed to himself. “Thinking about something bad? Nah...just thinking about the past.”

“The past? What have expl-” Kagome stopped and put her hand up. “Nevermind. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.”

As time goes by...

Kagome started to yawn as she listened to Inuyasha read. “Inuyasha?”

Inuyasha, annoyed with the interruption, looked over at her. “What?”

Kagome pointed to the digital clock on her alarm. “It's getting pretty late.”

“It is?” Inuyasha asked, looking at her clock. `Damn. Time seemed to fly by today for some reason.'

“Yeah, could we call it a day?”

Inuyasha looked back at the clock. “9:00. That went too fast.”

Kagome smiled as she held her book. “J.K. Rowling's books can do that.”

“...Who's that?” Inuyasha asked.

Kagome looked a little taken aback as she showed him the spine of her book.

“Oh. Yeah.” Inuyasha stretched as he got off her bed. “See ya.” He opened the door to turn to leave.

“Wait, wait!” Kagome called out. “I have to escort you downstairs.”

Inuyasha didn't reply as he let Kagome lead him down the stairs and to the front pair of doors.

“Take care.” Kagome waved.

Inuyasha turned around and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “Uh-huh. You too kitten.”

Kagome sighed. Kitten. Again. `Oh well, it's too late to gripe at him.' she decided as she went back up to her dorm.

Time:1:30 A.M.

Place: Inuyasha's Dorm

As Inuyasha finally started to head for his bed, his cell phone started to ring. “Yeah?”

How late did you stay?

Inuyasha groaned. It was Miroku. “At what? The party?”

No, no. I mean at HER place?

Inuyasha frowned. “Not that late.”

Did you see anything interesting?

“No.” Inuyasha growled. “I'm going to bed, Snake.”

Wait, wait my friend! One more question?

Inuyasha shrugged. “Whatever, what?”

How is it that a simple book caught your attention so well?

“Huh?” Inuyasha asked.

Well, you read `til 9:00

“Hey!” Inuyasha shouted accusingly. “How the hell do you know how long I was out there?!”

Silence.

...lucky guess?

Inuyasha growled his disbelief.

Fine. I watched you leave while I was coming back from my class. Miroku confessed. 9:00. Must be some book.

“Yeah. Great, I'm going to bed.” Inuyasha repeated.

Wait! Inuyasha my friend?

“What?!” Inuyasha yelled. He was tired and Miroku was just pissing him off more.

Are you...positive you have no feelings toward this girl?

Inuyasha hung up.

“Are you POSITIVE you have no feelings toward this girl?” Inuyasha mocked Miroku's last words as he started to undress. “Tch, no. Idiot. It's just the book.” `Even though I've never liked any book before...' He shook his head, getting the strange thoughts out as he hung up. He was tired, that's why he felt strange. “It's just a good book.” he told himself again.

As he finished getting undressed, he crawled into bed. “It's just a good book. Reading out loud makes it better or something.” he yawned one more time before he turned off the lamp next to his bed and settled down to sleep.