InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Man Steals the Bride ❯ Playful Kitty ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Dr. Pepper, Keebler's Crackers, Harry Potter or anything else I may be mistaken to own in this story. I also make no profit off of this fic either. Nothing, nada, zilch. Okey-dokey? Good, now you may move onto the fic.

The Best Man Steals the Bride

By: Msmelanie

Chapter Eight: Playful Kitty

Day: Tuesday

Place: Cafeteria/ Inuyasha's table

Time: Lunchtime

"So, Inuyasha?" Hojo asked as he bit into his sandwich. "Wanna do something fun tonight?"

Inuyasha smirked. "Yeah? Hell yeah, we can do something! Snake, you in?"

Miroku smiled widely. "Aren't I always?"

"Great." Hojo smirked. "Meet me tonight at nine and seventh."

Inuyasha smiled as he bit into his sandwich. 'Finally, he is showing some confidence in me.'

Miroku smiled proudly. "With the dog demon, slippery snake and the sneaky racoon out on the prowl...'

Inuyasha grinned. "Tonight's gonna be a great night."

Day: Wednesday

Place: Abe Hall/Literature Class

Time: 4:50

Everyone watched the clock.

Ten minutes late...

"Ten minute rule." Someone said as they got out the paper. "Everyone sign your name and split."

Inuyasha walked up behind Kagome as she signed her name. "You busy tonight?"

"Nope, wanna come over?" Kagome asked.

"Sure." Inuyasha replied.

As they walked to Kadowaki...

"Oohh..." Kagome gritted her teeth as she remembered. "I need to go shopping. All I have at home is about 20 packs of Ramen Noodles."

Inuyasha suddenly looked thrilled. "That's fine with me!" Inuyasha licked his lips.

Kagome just stared at him. "You know, I didn't say I had a steak or anything. They're just noodles."

"Yeah, I heard ya." Inuyasha reassured her. "That's fine with me."

Kagome just laughed at him. "Odd."

Inuyasha looked at her puzzled. "What?"

Kagome turned to face him. "By the car you drive and the clothes you wear...I never thought cheap noodles would impress you so much."

Inuyasha just turned to look straight ahead. "There's more to me than just a pretty face, Kitten."

Kagome's attitude suddenly changed as Inuyasha heard her humph.

"What?" Inuyasha asked.

"You are doing it again." Kagome frowned. "I'm not a kitten, Kikuchi. I'm Kagome."

Inuyasha disagreed with her comment. "Tch...naw."

"What?" Kagome frowned. "What do you mean 'tch, naw'?"

"Look Kitten." Inuyasha answered. "It just fits ya, alright."

"Fits me?" Kagome looked at him puzzled.

"Yeah." Inuyasha kicked a rock near the sidewalk.

"What do you mean?" Kagome asked curiously.

Inuyasha frowned. "Look, I'll tell ya later. Let's just hurry up already. That Ramen's been locked up for too long."

Place: Kadowaki/near Kagome's room

Time: 5:06

Tana walked up to Kagome as she and Inuyasha were standing by her dorm. "Kagome?"

"Yeah?" Kagome answered as she unlocked her door.

Tana gestured toward Inuyasha.

Kagome urked. Did all her friends always have to bug her? "He's my literature partner."

As Kagome and Inuyasha both went inside, Tana remarked "Me, Sango, Eri, and Yumi are meeting in the lobby at 10:00 tonight. You should really come."

"Umm...okay, I'll be there." Kagome answered back as she shut her door.

Inuyasha sat over on her bed. "So, where were we again?"

Kagome crossed her arms defiantly. "Not yet Inuyasha. You haven't explained that whole 'kitten' thing yet."

Inuyasha half-groaned. But at least she was starting to use his first name. "Fine. It's just a thing I have."

Kagome looked at him strangely. "A thing?"

Inuyasha stood up. "There are people out there who have a certain 'tack' for acting like a certain creature."

Kagome's expression did not change. "Come again, Kikuchi?"

Inuyasha waved her comment off. "Even Sango saw it in Miroku."

Kagome thought about his reply. "A certain creature? You mean when she called him a snake?"

Inuyasha pointed right at Kagome and winked. "Bingo."

"Wait...let me get this straight. You call all the people you know by animal names?" Kagome said out loud to herself.

"Nah. Just people I hang out with." Inuyasha frowned at her. "Used to do it all the time with my friends. Back before you took Racoon out for good."

Kagome scratched her head. "The racoon? You mean Fukazawa?"

Inuyasha's expression didn't change. "Right again, Kitten. You turned him into a pathetic sap after you left him."

Kagome frowned. "HE is the one who hurt ME. It was not the other way around and-wait a minute?!" She walked up to Inuyasha, nose to nose. "Are you saying that I represent a KITTEN?!"

Inuyasha just laughed at her. "Catch on quicker than the average broad, don't ya?"

Kagome looked at him, unsure whether or not to be offended. "Fine. What is it exactly that makes me a 'kitten'?"

Inuyasha got up and started to take out the Ramen. "So many things. For one." He ripped a packet open and threw it into an already prepared hot pot. "You aren't dumb, but you still got a lot to learn." He ripped open another packet. "Two, you're playful."

Kagome blinked. "Playful?"

"Yeah, you're a pretty playful kitty." Inuyasha grinned as he made a small swish of his hand. "But if somebody crosses you, they'll get scratched." He checked on the Ramen and unplugged the hot pot. "But your scratches don't hurt physically, just emotionally." Inuyasha poured out his Ramen. "Get it now, Kitten?"

"Yeah...I guess so." Kagome added reluctantly. "But, how come you don't use your own real name Inuyasha?"

Inuyasha didn't want to have to answer the question. "'Cause I hate it." he mumbled as he poured the rest of the soup into another bowl.

"Hate it?" Kagome questioned. "Why?"

"Because it's corny!" Inuyasha handed Kagome her bowl of Ramen. "Inuyasha is what people call me. Anything else..." He glared as he started to suck up his ramen. "...they pay."

Kagome shook her head and sighed. 'Tough guy attitude again.' "Alright, alright. No need to get defensive." She set her bowl down on the counter and went to one of her drawers. She pulled out something in a small, flat, white color and handed it to Inuyasha. "Here."

Inuyasha put his ramen down beside Kagome's and took the object. "What is it?" He flipped it open and saw a sticker that said BEWARE OF DOG. MAY BITE!

"Thought you'd like it." Kagome smiled. "Saw it in a sticker machine and decided to get it."

Inuyasha just looked at her, confused. "You...thought of me?"

"Well, yeah." Kagome answered casually.

Inuyasha contined to look at the sticker. "...You bought a sticker for me?"

Kagome just nodded her head as she ate.

“Yeah...kay.” Inuyasha looked at the simple sticker while he finished eating his ramen.

As Kagome finished up her Ramen, Inuyasha already got out the book. “Kay. It was around that asshole in eight or nine or somethin'.”

Kagome just smiled. She knew who he meant. “Snape?”

“Yeah, that guy.” Inuyasha flipped through the pages. “Found it. `Over the noise, Snape said, “and a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter.'” Tch. See, total asshole.”

Kagome looked over at the book. “By the way...”

“Yeah?””

“You refer to the people you hang out with by animals, but you called Kouga `the wolf'?” Kagome asked. She hadn't believed Kouga and Inuyasha were friends before.

“I didn't name `em that.” Inuyasha frowned. “He earned his nickname from all the rumors at this school..” He looked over at Kagome seriously. “You really shouldn't hang out with him.”

Kagome shrugged her shoulders. “Rumors are rumors. Kouga's a good friend.” Then, she got a strange look on her face, as if experiencing a sense of déjà vu. “Huh. That's kinda funny.”

Inuyasha looked at her. “What's kinda funny?”

Kagome smiled at Inuyasha. “Kouga keeps telling me that I shouldn't be hanging around with you. That you would just add me to your `collection of girls'.” Kagome chuckled.

Inuyasha growled. “He's an idiot then. And he's not trustworthy.”

“Oh? And Miroku is I suppose?” Kagome smiled knowingly.

Inuyasha grumbled. “I'm just telling you that Kouga is bad news.”

Kagome ignored his warning. “It doesn't matter what you say.” She looked at the book. “He's been there for me for a long time.”

`That's not a comforting thought.' Inuyasha frowned. “Can we get back to the book?”

Kagome nodded her head. “That's an excellent idea.”

Later that night after 10:00...

Kagome looked at all her friends surrounding her. She was in the middle of the lobby of her floor, next to the couch and the T.V. “Okay, why am I in the center?”

Sango put her hands on Kagome's shoulders. “Kagome, we feel it's time for a girls-to-girl talk.” Eri, Yumi and Tana all nodded.

Kagome looked down at her fuzzy pink slippers and purple pajamas. She noticed the teardrops looked neat on her pajamas and she started to feel how soft her pajamas were. Then, she noticed that someone must have been cooking a late supper because there was some corn being cooked on the small kitchenette near them. It smelled good. Kagome let her senses take her everywhere...except right in front of her. She really didn't want to know why she was there. What could she have done wrong? Knowing that she was probably making her friends mad while she looked every which way, she decided to face the music. “Okay. Considering I am the one in the circle, I did something, right? Just tell me what I did.”

Yumi shook her head yes. Kagome looked at her pretty green pajamas and blue houseshoes. Then, Kagome looked over at Eri's outfit. She had on a blue bathrobe and green froggy houseshoes.

“Kagome, this lit partner of yours...” Eri began.

Kagome held up her hand. “Wait.” She looked at Eri's shoes again. “Where did you get those, those are cute!”

Eri stopped to look at her houseshoes and clicked them together. “Aren't they cool? I found them on sale at the mall. It was a sweet deal.”

“Are there anymore?” Kagome asked.

“No, I got the last pair.” Eri smiled.

“Kagome!” Sango scolded. She knew Kagome was just trying to take the focus off of herself. “The shoes aren't important. Your so-called `lit partner' is. He cannot be good news.”

Kagome groaned. “Not this.” She shook her head exasperatedly. “Inuyasha is fine. I actually feel like were becoming friends.”

Everyone but Kagome groaned.

Kagome sighed. Now what?

Tana stood up in her fuzzy red slippers and purple bathrobe, somehow making them seem more regal. “Higurashi Kagome. Kikuchi Inuyasha may be a nice guy, but he is Hojo's friend. You know his real goal.”

Kagome waved the comment off. “I know, I know. He wants me to get back with Hojo. It's pretty obvious, but I don't care.”

“But Kagome!” Yumi added. “That is exactly the point1 You see, he is hojo's friend, but he is becoming one of your friends too. And you know that sooner or later...”

Kagome waited for Yumi to finish. “Sooner or later what?”

“Kagome.” Tana said firmly, crossing her arms. “Boy and girl.Reading next to each other. Spending three to four hours a day with each other?”

“Kagome, he is going to fall for you.” Sango finally stated. “He is going to fall and he is going to fall hard.”

Kagome just stared at her friends. Then blinked. “Me and Inuyasha?” Then, she burst out laughing. “Oh come on, be serious! He has like 100 girlfriends! You guys, Kikuchi's a nice friend but that's all.”

Her friends all raised their eyebrows at her.

“I told you she wouldn't listen.” Yumi sighed. Sango, Eri and Tana all nodded in agreement.

“Okay Kagome.” Eri said. “You go ahead and keep hanging out with your harmless Kikuchi, but when it happens, don't forget that we warned you.”

Kagome just shook her head and stood up. “You guys are paranoid. Inuyasha and I might be friends...” `Might.I'm not sure if he'd admit that.'... “but friends is all we will be. Now, if you excuse me, I have an early class tomorrow.”

All the girls watched Kagome leave knowingly.

Tana sighed as she sat back down with the other girls. “Good thing we didn't tell her she might start falling for him too, huh? She probably would have died laughing.”

Sango groaned as she shook her head back and forth in shame. “How come no one ever sees the wreck until it's too late?”

“Because the light is green.” Eri answered. “They both we'll be going too fast to stop in time for the yellow light and then BAM! Disaster.”

Tana stood up again. “Well, we tried to warn her.” She looked over at Sango. “I think one of us needs to keep our eye on her for awhile.”

Eri and Yumi also looked at Sango.

Sango frowned. “Well, let me just jump up and volunteer then.” She said sarcastically.

The other girls smiled as they got up, but before Sango could get up, Tana decided to give her a new warning:

“Don't forget the same rule applies to you too!”

Once Sango figured out WHO Tana meant, she went after her. “Tana, don't even KID about that! Me and HIM?!”

Tana just winked as she quickly went into her room. “Quiet hours, I'll see you tomorrow night.”

Sango growled as she went into her own bedroom. “Yucky. That's not even funny. Not me and that...snake.”

Day: Wednesday

Place: Inuyasha's Room

Time: 2:00 A.M.

Inuyasha laid in bed and kept fumbling with the sticker Kagome gave him. `It's weird. She bought me a sticker. It was only 50 cents, but why does it make me feel good? It's not real cool, it's just a stupid sticker.' He traced the wording on it and smirked. `Okay, it's kinda cool but...dang, giving me this thing out of the blue...'

He looked up at the ceiling as he remembered Hojo's words:

/”It's never earth-shattering, just something. Trivial but nice. That's my Kagome.”/

He closed his eyes. Why was this affecting him? Hell, plenty of girls gave him treats and expensive stuff all the time. All this sticker was worth was a lousy 50 cents. Yet, somehow it meant something to him. He really liked it for some reason. “That Kitten's something else, alright.”

With that final thought, he put the sticker back on top of his bedstand and turned off the lamp.

Day: Thursday

Place: Ito Hall

Time: 6:30 P.M.

Inuyasha walked out of class after all his other classmates. He went to sit in his usual spot after class. Kagome had also just left her own class and was leaving the building. She smiled and waved at Inuyasha as she saw him. “Hey, Inuyasha.”

“Hey there Kitten.” Inuyasha replied. “Goin' home now?”

Kagome shook her head.

“Well, careful. It's getting cold out there.” He replied. “Shoulda brought a jacket.”

Kagome laughed.

Inuyasha frowned. “What the hell did you laugh for?”

“I was just thinking.” Kagome smiled. “A lot sure can change in a week.”

Inuyasha stopped to see what she meant. “Yeah...guess so.”

Kagome waved goodbye as she took off.

“Inu!”

Inuyasha looked over at the girl who had just called his name. She was the person he had been waiting for. “Hey Cookie, you ready?”

“Sure are! I'm so glad you can take me home this week!” she squealed. “Last week, I had to call a Taxi.” She made a disgusted look. “You were all yucky and gross in the bathroom. Ew.”

“Yeah.” Inuyasha said sarcastically. “Thanks for actually caring about my welfare.”

Cookie just blinked. “Welfare? I didn't know you were on welfare.”

Inuyasha blinked. Damn. `I got a real winner for a girlfriend.' He thought sarcastically. This girl was nothing like Kitty. “You ready or what?”

“Yeppy yep, Inu-kins!” she smiled as she hugged him.

Inuyasha just stared at her. Inu-kins? Definitely not like Kitten. “Let's go.”