InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Man Steals the Bride ❯ Understanding ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Dr. Pepper, Keebler's Crackers, Harry Potter or anything else I may be mistaken to own in this story. I also make no profit off of this fic either. Nothing, nada, zilch. Okey-dokey? Good, now you may move onto the fic.

Note: This was done in yen instead of dollars, which I don't have the best understanding of. But I thought I'd give it a try.'.

The Best Man Steals the Bride

By: Msmelanie (Now being known as Fondest Desire)

Chapter Eleven: Understanding

Day: Friday

Place: Kadowaki

Time: 9:00 A.M.

Knock Knock

"Uuhhh..." Kagome mumbled as she got out of bed and stumbled to open the door. "Who's it?"

"Kagome."

Kagome opened the door when she recognized Sango's voice. "Sango?"

Sango pointed to her watch. "I know it's early, but I won't get done today until 7:00 P.M. and I need to talk to you.

Kagome yawned. "About what?"

Sango looked at her friend seriously. "About your friendship with Inuyasha." She crossed her arms. "You have to tell him."

"He already knows Hojo cheated on me." Kagome replied.

Sango smiled sadly. "Kagome. You and Inuyasha have become good friends in a short amount of time."

Kagome continued to listen.

You can't keep your feelings bottled up inside." Sango said sadly. "Not from him."

Kagome frowned. "I don't..."

"You've got to." Sango said firmly.

Kagome crossed her arms. "If I do he'll think I'm just another, crying broad." She looked at the ground. "I don't want him to think of me like that."
"He doesn't." Sango disagreed. He won't and he never will." Sango crossed her arms. "He already knows full well you aren't like the other girls he goes out with."

Kagome crossed her arms. "Are you sure?"

"Positive." Sango smiled. "And if he did make you feel bad, I would personally make him pay."

Kagome smiled back. "All right. Okay Sango, I know you are right." She met her friend eye-to-eye.

Sango smiled as she waved goodbye. "See ya later, gotta get to class. Get some rest, sleepy head.

Kagome yawned, smiled at her friend, and then closed her door to crawl back into the bed. 'Telling Inuyasha? Maybe I should just pretend I'm still dreaming.'

But she knew in her heart, she wasn't. Sango was right. She would tell Inuyasha.

Time: 5:40 P.M./After Literature class

Kagome walked slowly to her dorm. The look in Inuyasha's eyes as she wandered into class before hand clearly told her that he wanted to know what was in the notebook. 'I should've thrown it away.' She thought bitterly as she opened her door. 'Then we wouldn't have to go through this.'

As she opened the door, she and Inuyasha walked. As Inuyasha sat down on the bed, she went to the closet and got out her red notebook.

Stupid notebook.

Kagome handed it to him, not meeting his eyes. "Here."

Inuyasha looked at her as she gave the notebook to him. He slowly opened it...

and saw a bunch of math equations? "...huh?"

Kagome sat behind him. "That's...I'm not really good at math, but Hojo was..." She looked at Hojo's writing for the definition of population for statistics. "He...he tutored me. We wrote all the notes in that notebook." She pointed to the notebook sadly.

Inuyasha looked extremely puzzled. "Okay. You're upset over a notebook you took tutor notes in?" Inuyasha scratched his head. "Kitten, I don't get it, wh-"

Then, he stopped in mid sentence as Kagome lunged for him. He just sat there in shock as she held him tight and started to cry in his jacket.

"I thought I was the only one! I thought we were always supposed to be together!" she cried out as tears flowed freely down her cheeks.

Inuyasha couldn't think. What was he supposed to do? He didn't know, so just kind of 'patted' her back awkwardly.

Kagome moved her head underneath his jacket to his shirt. "I never thought Hojo and I would fit well at first (sniffle) but he kept trying and trying and eventually I caved."

Inuyasha looked around the room uncomfortably. What could he do? I mean, geez, she was crying on him!

Kagome snuggled her body closer to his, feeling a sense of warmth and comfort.

Inuyasha still didn't know what to do.

"Sango and Eri kept insisting I stop seeing him." Kagome continued. "Said any boy who still couldn't say 'I love you' or even show it after three years just wasn't right." She snuggled deeper into the warm jacket. "And I knew, I always knew. I knew the very first time I asked him to take me somewhere special and he refused, that it just couldn't be but I didn't care. As long as I was his one and only, I'd put up with it."

Inuyasha didn't respond. Something was starting to create a strange sensation in his chest. He didn't understand it, but he had stopped patting her back awkwardly. He had stopped looking around the room. Now, all he was doing was listening.

"But then, I caught him. Sango and I went to the theatres to see a movie...a-and..." she snuggled into Inuyasha's neck unconsciously. "...and he was kissing another woman! That's when I knew. I wasn't special to him at all. I felt like such an idiot." Kagome choked up. "I realized then and there that I wasn't the only one anymore. I never would be." She sunk back down into Inuyasha's shirt. "I cried for so long. I probably would have flunked all my classes if Eri and Sango hadn't dragged me out of bed each day...if they hadn't let me cry on their shoulders for hours at a time."

Kagome slightly lifted her head, still not meeting Inuyasha's eyes. "It took weeks before I could hear his name and not cry. But one day, Sango asked me something that completely changed me. She asked if I couldn't get over the long relationship with Hojo or if I couldn't get over the fact I was alone."

Then, Kagome made a slight sniffle as she looked up at Inuyasha. "That's when it hit me. I never loved Hojo. I liked him, I cared for him, but it wasn't love. It was more like I didn't want to be by myself. See Inuyasha." Kagome laughed, remnants of small tears still on her cheeks. "Hojo was really the first man I had ever been with." She wiped her tears away. "After that, I started getting better and my friends had shown me that I didn't need anyone with me to make me feel special. I already was.

Kagome smiled sadly as she gently took the notebook back. "But sometimes, I find things, that make me think 'what if'. Then, I know we would still be together, but I wouldn't be happy." She shrugged her shoulders. "Not with someone I don't love." She moved awkwardly away from Inuyasha, praying he didn't think less of her. She couldn't help it though. So many years with Hojo, reminiscing, she couldn't help but cry. Nevertheless, she wouldn't let the hurt feelings linger. "If I find someone I like then I'll date him, not the other way around. Now..." She turned back to smile at her friend. "So now that you know why the notebook made me act strange, why don't I just trash it and fix us something to eat?"

Inuyasha finally glanced at her and tried pathetically to make his bad-boy smirk. "Yeah. Good. That sounds good."

Place: Nameless Street/Inuyasha's Car

Time: 9:00 P.M.

Inuyasha was driving back home, the time with Kagome being over. Yet, he couldn't get the feeling of Kagome against him crying out of his mind.

It hadn't bother him too much that she had soaked his shirt or that she had cried for half an hour. It was the fact that while she was crying out all her hidden feelings, that his heart had really started to hurt.

He couldn't understand. The whole fiasco with Kagome had taken place over three hours ago, yet

He could still feel the hurt.

He stopped by the side of his house and got out. 'One girl. Hojo had taken one other girl and it had hurt kitten so much.' He looked up at his house. 'He made her hurt for so long. He made her feel so used.' "How could he ever do that to her?! Kitten is the BEST in the world, how he could he ever do that to her?!" He had known Hojo cheated on Kagome since before he met her. But it never really hit him until now.

She never talked about it. Never said what it was like. Never said what she felt.

Yeah, he had known but he had never UNDERSTOOD. He kicked his tire in frustration. "I mean, I go out with a lot of girls...but if I EVER had that Kitten, I would never even think about doing that shit!"

"You wouldn't?"

Inuyasha froze for a second before turning around to see Miroku. "Shit."

Miroku frowned at him. "I take it from your tone that you have become quite more acquainted with the girl than you want Hojo to know."

Inuyasha didn't answer.

"Alright then, be silent." Miroku frowned. "But do me the honor of answering this-"

"I ain't answering nothing!" Inuyasha shouted. "Don't mess with me right now, just leave me ALONE!"

Miroku ignored his request. "Who do you really believe belongs with Kagome? Hojo? Or you?"

Without waiting for an answer, Miroku turned to leave as Inuyasha continued to his house.

'Hojo or me? Where did that come from? Why am I even thinking about Snake's question?' Inuyasha unlocked his door. 'I don't love the Kitty, I just don't like her getting hurt. There's a difference!' he shouted to himself as he went inside.

'There's a difference.'