InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Best Man Steals the Bride ❯ Lunch and Dessert ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha, Dr. Pepper, Keebler's Crackers, Harry Potter or anything else I may be mistaken to own in this story. I also make no profit off of this fic either. Nothing, nada, zilch. Okey-dokey? Good, now you may move onto the fic.

The Best Man Steals the Bride
By: Msmelanie (Now being known as Fondest Desire)
Chapter Twelve: Lunch and Dessert

Day: Saturday
Place: Kadowaki
Time: 2:00 P.M.

Kagome smiled as she and Sango went downstairs. “Hello Inu!” she waved as she came out.

Inuyasha and Miroku both stood up.

“So my dear...” Miroku winked at Sango. “Where exactly shall I be tied up today?”

Sango didn't reply, but Kagome had noticed a slight funny smile on her face as she grabbed his hand and walked toward the stairs.

“Ooh, forceful.” Miroku winked at Sango. “I love that in a woman.”

Kagome saw Sango's strange reaction again. “Did I miss something?”

“Nah, ignore him.” Inuyasha replied as he and Kagome started to follow in suit.

Place: Kadowaki/Kagome's room
Time: 2:10 P.M.

“ Oh, hello Hagrid, ha ha ha! Harry said, ha ha ha1 Looking up, ha ha ha-!” Kagome laughed as Inuyasha tickled her.

“We've been reading for an hour straight! We need a break!” Inuyasha mercilessly kept tickling her. “Need food!”

Kagome kept laughing. “You could have, ha ha ha ahaha ha ha, just said so!”

Inuyasha brought her up to his chest to tickle the sides of her belly better. “That wouldn't have been as much fun!” He laughed.

Kagome couldn't take anymore. “Inuyasha!” she gave out her battle cry warning as she started to attack his feet.

“No, no, no! Not the feet, not the hahahhaahahahah!!” Inuyasha couldn't control himself, but he wouldn't give in. He brought his chin down on her shoulder so she couldn't escape as he started to tickle her sides more.

But at that moment, the door swung open.

Miroku and Sango frowned as they looked at the very red faces of their friends.

Miroku observed as suddenly Kagome and Inuyasha were on the far opposite sides of the bed. “Oh. So, that was why you were making so much noise.” Miroku tried to look into Inuyasha's eyes, but they were currently looking down at the Harry Potter book that had fallen on the ground. “Inuyasha”

“What?!” Inuyasha yelled, as if he had just been accused. “We we're just having fun, that's all! Friends can tickle each other, so shut UP!”

Miroku looked thoughtfully over at Sango. “Sango, have you ever been tickled by a friend who just happened to-“

“You know, we're kinda busy.” Inuyasha growled as he glared at Miroku. He just knew he was taking it the wrong way.

“Y-yeah.” Kagome added softly as she tucked a piece of hair behind her ear nervously. “We were just about to...eat.”

Sango and Miroku just looked at each other, shook their heads and sighed.

Kagome got up and put her hands on her waist. “What exactly are those sighs supposed to mean?”

“Tch.” Inuyasha crossed his arms. “Easy kitten, just forget them.” Inuyasha frowned at Sango. “It just looks like some of Snake is rubbing off on your friend, that's all.”

Sango humphed. “I just came to check up on Kagome. She's not always safe around the likes of people like you.”

Inuyasha turned away from her. “You're one to talk when you hang out with the Snake.”

Sango crossed her arms. “You two just don't get it.” She said as she walked off.

Inuyasha looked at Miroku. “You should go catch your escort.”

Miroku closed his eyes. “I will.” He looked suspiciously at Inuyasha. “Just remembered the difference between lunch and dessert.”

“What are you blabbering about.” Inuyasha growled.

Miroku frowned at his friend. “Remember that you may have some lunch, but the dessert is supposed to belong to Hojo.”

Kagome just looked at Inuyasha's reaction to the strange comment. He looked very uncomfortable, yet very angry at the same time. “Inuyasha?”

“Get the HELL out of HERE, MIROKU!” Inuyasha yelled angrily.

Miroku didn't reply as he left the room and closed Kagome's door behind him.

Kagome quietly went over to the cupboard. Miroku had certainly said something that upset Inuyasha. “Raviolo or ramen?” What had upset him so much about Hojo...

“Ramen.” Inuyasha said clearing his throat. `Damn Miroku! He really thinks I'm after Kagome!'

Kagome put some water in her hot pot and turned it on. “I'm sorry about Sango. She is a bit choosy about who I should hang out with.”

Inuyasha waved it off. “That's all right, don't worry about it.” He glanced back at her. “So, it's another Saturday night.”

Kagome just looked at him. “Yeah, I guess so.”

Inuyasha leaned against the counter. “Don't you ever go out on Saturday nights?”

Kagome laughed. “Not really, I don't date too much...” she looked over at Inuyasha curiously. “Come to think of it, how do you have so much time to read? I always heard that you went out with hundreds of girls.”

Inuyasha's eyes grew wide. `Geez, she's right! I haven't gone out since...' “ummm...tch.”

Inuyasha realized Kagome was still looking at him. “I'm just not in the dating mood right now.”

Kagome looked at him incredulously. “Dating moods? I never knew guys had dating moods.”

“Well, we do.” Inuyasha pressed. “And don't forget the Ramen. It needs to be cooked to be edible.”

Kagome humphed. “I know how to cook simple ramen.” She said as she ripped open the package.

“Kay.” Inuyasha said, not really registering her answer. He had something else on his mind. `Miroku's gonna want an explanation and if Hojo talks to him later tonight. He's already so iffy about the whole thing that if Miroku spills-' “Kitten, I really got to go.”

Kagome looked over at him, a bit surprised. “You do?”

“Yeah.” Inuyasha opened her door and looked back at her. “There's something important I have to do.”

Kagome dropped the bowl she was holding.

Inuyasha looked at her. “You okay?”

Kagome didn't meet his eyes. “Yeah. Whatever. You better go.”

Inuyasha raised his eyebrow at her. “Something wrong?”

Kagome picked her bowl back up and smiled at Inuyasha. “It's fine, I'm sorry about that.” She looked at the bowl. “That's just something Hojo always said.” She shook her head back and forth. “You should get going, I hope I didn't make you late.”

Inuyasha frowned. `I reminded her of him?' “Yeah. Maybe I can call you later?”

Kagome took a step back.

`What?” Inuyasha asked, a bit of a sting in his voice.

“Nothing.” Kagome loosed up. “Just don't call later okay? I'll probably be out. With friends or something. Because I have a life too.”

Inuyasha didn't know how to respond. Kagome was being a bit harsh. It's not like he wanted to leave her hanging. It's not like this was a date and he was just leaving or anything.

Kagome grabbed her keys and escorted Inuyasha down the stairs.

“Take care.” Kagome smiled plainly as she went back upstairs.

Inuyasha stood there for a second. He shouldn't feel guilty. They were just fine in their reading schedule. They were. He could take the night off. He shouldn't feel bad about it. And he didn't, but he did. He did because he had done something that reminded her of Hojo.

He started to walk away. `This shouldn't be bugging me. So I reminded her of Hojo. That means that she is still fond enough of him to remember the way he spoke.' He felt a small hurt in his chest. `That shouldn't be making me feel weird. It should be a good thing. Something that proves that...that she still...'

What the hell was wrong with him. He had wanted Kagome to like Hojo again. It's the reason he had started becoming friends with her in the first place. This was supposed to be a good thing. He had reminded her of the man she, well...was always with. It should be good. `It's a good thing.' He kept telling himself. Yet, he still felt weird. Maybe he was just coming down with something. Yeah, that had to be it.

Place: Hojo's place

Time: 2:40 P.M.

:Ding:Dong

Hojo looked down at his supper. “Shoot.” He got up to answer the door. “...”

Inuyasha stood casually in front of him. “Hey Raccoon, mind if I come in?”

“No. Come on in.” Hojo said leaving the door open. “I was just about to eat. You want some?”

“Naw.” Inuyasha replied as he sat across from Hojo.

“Alright.” Hojo smiled. “What is it you want?”

Inuyasha leaned against the table. “Raccoon are you uhh...” he fidgeted uncomfortably in his chair. “...you gonna treat Kagome right if you ever get her back?”

Hojo frowned and pushed his food away. “What do you mean `if you ever' Inuyasha?”

“Just answer the question.” Inuyasha frowned.

Hojo stared at him suspiciously. “Yeah, I will. I'll be loyal to her when I get her back.”

Inuyasha changed his attention to Hojo's ceiling. “I mean more than loyalty when I say `treat her right'.”

Hojo sighed and slumped down into his chair. “Explain.”

Inuyasha glanced back at Hojo. “Kagome said you never took her anywhere nice and you never said you loved her.”

Hojo glared at Inuyasha. “She told you that? Freely?” he started to sit up again. “Just how good a friend are you to her now?”

Inuyasha stared at Hojo. “We're good friends, don't dodge the question.”

Hojo stopped staring as intensely. “If she wants me to say I love her, I will. If she wants fine dining, I'll give it to her.” Hojo looked back at Inuyasha. “Inu, I'll admit it. I wasn't very reliable as a boyfriend. I could have treated her better, but I've changed.” Hojo stood up and lookd seriously into his friend's eyes. “I didn't know what a great woman she was until I lost her.” He put his hands on the table. “I know I screwed up really bad, but that's why I want to marry her.” He smiled at Inuyasha. “Once we're married, she'll know that I really do love her. That I really do care for her.”

Inuyasha put his hands underneath his chin and thought. `He says he'll treat her right. He knows his mistakes.' “One more question.”

Hojo sat back down as he took a drink of his pop. “Shoot.”

Inuyasha leaned forward. “How many times did you cheat on her?”

Hojo choked briefly as he put his drink back down. “What?”

“You heard me.” Inuyaha frowned. “And don't try to lie Hoj', you're a horrible liar.”

Hojo scooted his pop away. “It doesn't matter, I won't do it again.” Inuyasha continued to look at Hojo. Apparently his friend would not back down. “Maybe three or four.”

“Maybe three or four.” Inuyasha repeated scooting his chair away.

“Yeah, but it doesn't matter anymore. I'm not gonna do it again.” Hojo stated firmly.

“Wh-“ Inuyasha was at a loss for words. “Why would ya even do it once to Kagome?!”

“Like you should talk!” Hojo yelled as he stood up. “You have never had just one girlfriend your entire life!”

Inuyasha also stood up. “Yeah, but Kagome is not just some `girl', she's spe-!”

Inuyasha stopped.

Hojo stared at him. “She's what?” he finally said. “Admit it. Say it!”

“She's special!” Inuyasha shouted.

Hojo didn't say a word.

Inuyasha also stayed silent.

“She's a good friend and I don't want to see her hurt.” Inuyasha finally spoke, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

“Great friend.” Hojo contined to stare at Inuyasha. “That's it?”

“That's it.” Inuyasha finished.

Hojo sat back down and eyed Inuyasha suspiciously. “Great friend.”

Inuyasha stayed silent.

The two close friends, oldest friends and best friends...just looked at each other.

Hojo gave a small gulp while he started to eat. “I'll talk to you later man. I can't...”

Inuyasha didn't answer as he left the table and walked out of the house. He knew he had messed up. He was getting really close to losing his friendship with Hojo.

He couldn't let that happen. Hojo and him were old friends. They'd gone through so much together.

As he was getting in his car to leave, he spotted Miroku walking along the sidewalk. “Miroku!” He had to catch him. Finding out Inuyasha and Kagome had had a tickle fest would be the final nail in his coffin.

Miroku heard Inuyasha call out to him and went over.

“Listen.” Inuyasha spoke softly. “Don't ya know...tell him about today, all right?”

Miroku looked at Inuyasha curiously.

“Come on.” Inuyasha pressed.

Miroku sighed but eventually shook his head.

Inuyasha gave a sigh of relief. “Thanks man.”

“But I was wondering...” Miroku began.

Inuyasha frowned. Snake wondering was never a good thing. “Yeah?”

Miroku eyed him. “Exactly how many times should I cover you?”

Inuyasha continued to frown as he got into his car. “I'm outta here.”

Miroku just sighed as he watched his friend drive away. `One friend is madly in love with a girl he broke up with. The other friend has fallen in love with the same girl unknowingly while trying to help the other.' He just shook his head. `Right now helping one friend will hurt another no matter what I do.' He groaned and shook his head. `How do I get myself into these situations?'