InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blackout ❯ Facing the Family ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Inuyasha or any of the publicly known characters, plot, etc.  I’m just renting them from Rumiko Takahashi, Viz, etc.   I do own the plot of this story and any original characters I’ve created.  I will make no money from this fic; I write for my own enjoyment and the enjoyment of my readers.  


A/N – I wasn’t surprised to get a few reviews expressing frustration with Kagome for being so happy about Inuyasha’s promise to stay with her until their child is grown up.  I completely understand that point of view; this is definitely unfair to Kagome, though she doesn’t see it that way.  But I do think she’s in-character here because she’s so naturally selfless.  I will say that this type of arrangement is a very weak foundation for a relationship.  If you’ve read my work, then you know this won’t last.  And that’s all I can say without giving something away.  

On another note, I remembered that in canon, right after Naraku’s defeat by Red Tetsusaiga is when Kagome goes home and we have all the shenanigans with Inuyasha bursting into her room naked and sleeping on her bed.  This story diverges from canon before that point, so none of that happens.  Instead, the group continues hunting Naraku immediately after his disappearance.  Chapter 1 takes place no more than a few days after the battle.  So Kagome has not been home in at least a month and a half by the start of this chapter.  


Facing the Family


Inuyasha yawned again, baring his fangs and blinking the fatigue from his eyes.  Not for the first time, Kagome wondered how much sleep he had gotten last night.  From her place by his side, close but not enough to infringe upon either of their personal spaces, she had observed his occasional yawning all morning.  She, on the other hand, had slept like a baby and had not risen until several hours after dawn.  Even her morning sickness had apparently decided to take a day off.  All in all, she felt spectacular.  The sun was shining brightly without a cloud in the sky as they made their way back to Kaede’s village, balanced perfectly by the cooling breeze which tickled her skin and prevented it from becoming too hot.  It was truly an amazing day.  

At least, for one of them.  After his yawn, Inuyasha returned to the pastime in which he had been engaged all morning—brooding in silence.  That somber look in his eyes meant that he could only be contemplating one thing.  This observation did not bother Kagome as much as it normally would; it was natural for him to think of Kikyou after what had occurred yesterday.  Inuyasha had made it pretty clear that he was ashamed of Kikyou’s actions.  That did not mean, however, that he could forget her.  Kagome understood that.  She did hope that perhaps Kikyou’s behavior would cause him to take her down from the lofty pedestal he had placed her upon.  Last night, Kikyou had proven something that Kagome had known all along, but Inuyasha had been resistant to: she was only human.  Like anyone else, she could fall victim to her own emotions when they ran away with her.  In part because of that inherent imperfection shared by all humans, Kagome had resolved to try to forgive Kikyou.  She could not blame her for being upset, after all; she could only imagine how she would feel if their situations were reversed.  But the emotion and its physical manifestations were two entirely different things.  Even if she caught Inuyasha and Kikyou making love, Kami forbid, Kagome knew that she would never demean his hanyou heritage or insult Kikyou.  She would cry, go home, and cry some more.  But she would keep her pain to herself, rather than transforming it into a weapon to hurt others.  And she would never try to cause a schism between Inuyasha and Kikyou, as long as he was happy and truly wanted to be with her.  

That was a crucial element, of course.  And after last night, Kagome had a much better idea of how she fit into Inuyasha’s happiness.  He had promised to stay with her long enough to raise their child to adulthood, a thought which still filled her with an insane amount of giddiness.  What was more, he had not made that decision because he felt obligated to.  Well, not solely for that reason.  It was true that caring for a child he had sired was an obligation, a burden even.  But as Inuyasha had made clear to her last night, just because something was a burden did not mean that he was loath to do it.  Some of his burdens made him happy.  I need you.  You, Kagome.  You most of all.  And then he had begged her to stay, more desperate than she had ever seen him.  His heart and soul had been completely bared to her in those moments.  She would never forget the tightness of his arms around her, the way his eyes burned with fear and yearning.  For Kagome, to finally know how much she meant to him was pure ecstasy.  And when she kissed him, she swore she felt something pass between them, something transcending their physical bodies and even their chaotic emotions.  She had felt so incredibly close to him, in every sense.  

That all-encompassing sense of intimacy had worn off over the minutes and hours which followed, to a degree.  His vow to stay with her had sounded vaguely like a proposal, but she knew that to identify it as such would be a mistake.  Marriage meant for life, which was not a promise he could make right now even if he wanted to.  He hadn’t even told her that he loved her, though she did not think that she had imagined the unspoken love he had conveyed to her last night.  But unspoken love was just that: unspoken.  And therefore, vulnerable to misinterpretation.  But she had fifteen years to explore his feelings for her, which were perhaps growing stronger by the day.  As hers were for him.  

So despite the reservations and uncertainty, Kagome was still pretty much floating on cloud nine, as Miroku and Sango had discovered when she woke up.  The two of them were probably still in shock back there, since Inuyasha usually did not make up with her so quickly or without plenty of prodding.  But given how close they had come to never seeing each other again, the hanyou’s unusual behavior made perfect sense.  If he had not approached her last night, and had instead allowed her wounds to fester…would she have even listened to him when and if he did finally talk to her?  She shuddered at the likely answer, and was again grateful that Inuyasha had comprehended the gravity of the situation.  

Ultimately, the only one who had not been surprised to learn of her jubilant mood was Shippou.  She had been delighted to learn that Inuyasha had invited the kit up to sleep with them, and even more so at the stunning revelation that the hanyou had kept her in the tree for most of the night.  It was as if he had been afraid to let her go.  Even after she woke that morning, he had always been nearby.  She wouldn’t term it ‘hovering,’ but it had been close, to the point that she had to check over her shoulder to make sure he wasn’t following her when she went to relieve her bladder.  All things considered, she didn’t mind any of this.  She did hope that he would continue to remain physically closer to her in the future, not because he was insecure about her leaving, but because he felt comfortable doing so.  And because he wanted to.  She would certainly relish any amount of closeness, even it if was only a gentle touch on the shoulder to get her attention instead of an ‘Oi, wench.’  She had no illusions about shared sleeping arrangements going forward; it simply wasn’t going to happen.  Even if they were alone, she sensed that Inuyasha’s customary shyness was firmly back in place now.  She would have to hope that her night of deep and satisfying sleep was not solely the result of being in his embrace.  Insomnia would not be good for her or the baby.  But she was probably worrying too much; the peace of knowing how strongly Inuyasha felt about her would be soothing enough.  

There was something else which was not good for the baby, she reflected shamefully.  Something that she in her grief had longed for last night.  If there had been a jug of sake in her bag, she would have drunk it without hesitation, regardless of the potential harm it could do to the fetus inside her.  She would need to remember this in the future.  There were no guarantees here.  If Inuyasha broke her heart again, whether by his will or by falling at an enemy’s hand, she would need to show more restraint.  The needs of their child had to come first, and if that meant she couldn’t numb her pain with drink, then so be it.  It was a bit of a wake-up call for Kagome, since a few days ago she had been mentally complaining how immature Inuyasha was.  It was clear she had a bit of growing up to do herself before becoming a mother.  

But there was plenty of time for that, for both of them.  About eight months, to be exact.  She was approximately three and a half weeks along by now, and so far the morning sickness was the only symptom of pregnancy she had noticed.  Her tummy was as flat as ever, she was pleased to note.  She might even have lost a pound or two, but that was probably nothing to worry about at this stage.  She would need to make sure she got enough food and ate healthy.  That could be a challenge in the feudal era, especially on the road, but fortunately she had a superhuman partner whom she could count on to carry extra food for her without complaint.  Or maybe with a little complaint.  

She suddenly felt a burning tingle in her nose, and sneezed six times in rapid succession.  When she could open her eyes again, she found Inuyasha gazing at her with a mixture of worry and annoyance.  She smiled and shook her head, silently brushing off his concerns.  She had probably just gotten pollen or something in her nostrils.  

By that evening, she was singing, or rather sneezing, a different tune.  Her head ached, her sinuses felt clogged, and chills had driven her to change into her warmest set of pajamas while they were still on the road.  Inuyasha insisted on carrying her after that, which she didn’t mind.  He also insisted on taking her home, but this she protested.  They were still four days or more walking distance from Kaede’s village, and Kirara could not carry two humans that far without rest.  That meant leaving Miroku and Sango by themselves, which Kagome was reluctant to do, especially after the recent attack by that animated corpse.  The monk and slayer were strong, but Kagome still worried for them.  Eventually she got Inuyasha to relent and agree not to run her to the well unless her condition worsened.  

Fortunately, it turned out to be nothing more than a minor head cold.  After a couple days of runny nose and coughing, whatever germ had caused the sickness worked its way out of her system.  But of course there is no rest for the weary.  Her morning sickness, which had subsided while she was battling her cold, returned with a vengeance once she was well again.  For the first time, Kagome found herself vomiting in the afternoon or evening rather than just the morning.  She ended up eating most of what remained of Inuyasha’s stash of ramen, since on some days that was just about the only thing she could keep down.  To the hanyou’s credit, he neither ate any ramen himself nor complained about the loss of his favorite snack.  Kagome determined to let him eat as much has he wanted while they were in her time, and to bring extra along with her on their next trip.  

She had never been so happy to see Kaede’s village.  It had only taken them about a week to make it back, since instead of zig-zagging around searching for leads, they could walk in a more or less straight line.  A fact for which Kagome was exceedingly grateful.  Tired, consistently nauseous, and generally sick of travelling for the time being, all she wanted was a hot bath and a long sleep on her cozy bed at home.  But they had been gone for a while, and it would be rude to not check in with Kaede before leaving.  They found the old miko in her hut, sorting herbs while cooking a stew for the evening meal.  It took only one look at them for Kaede’s brow to furrow.  

“Kagome, child, you seem pale.  Are you ill?”  

Kagome laughed uneasily.  “In a manner of speaking.”  

And so began an extremely awkward and embarrassing conversation for the two original members of the Inu-gang.  Kagome had not initially intended to tell Kaede everything, but once she started there was no reason to stop.  She would view it as a nice dress rehearsal for tonight, because her mother would surely demand details.  Besides, the old miko’s advice had never led them astray, and she was sure Kaede would have some helpful or encouraging words of wisdom.  For some time, the old miko simply listened in silence.  

“Does my sister know of this?” she asked quietly during a pause.  At Kagome’s affirmative nod, she sighed.  “I see.  That is unfortunate.  I am certain that Kikyou-onee-sama did not take the news well.  My apologies, Kagome.”  

“It’s okay, Kaede-baa-chan.  Inuyasha…helped me understand.”  

Kaede looked between the pair, from the mildly blushing schoolgirl to the hanyou glaring at the floorboards with a guilt-ridden expression.  Both she took as positive signs.  She did not know exactly what had transpired between the two of them, and she did not feel it was her place to pry, but evidently they had come to some sort of understanding regarding the future.  This was wonderful to see; maintaining harmony between them would be crucial in the difficult times ahead.  

“I am glad to hear it,” she said, favoring Inuyasha with an approving smile.  The hanyou snapped a ‘keh’ and crossed his arms over his chest, but his spirits did seem to raise somewhat.  Then she turned back to Kagome.  

“The two of you will need to cooperate more than ever now.  Should you require anything of me, you need only ask.  I have guided many women through this phase of motherhood.  I cannot imagine that carrying a quarter-youkai child will be much different from carrying a human one, but there may be unforeseen variations.  You will need to significantly alter your diet, Kagome.  If you wish, I can prepare a ginger tea which will help to settle your stomach.  Though there may be medicines in your time which are more effective.”  

“Thank you, Kaede-baa-chan,” Kagome breathed, sincerely grateful.  She had been mildly concerned that Kaede would be angry or even shun them, given her status as a miko and her relationship to Kikyou.  But any miko who would welcome a hanyou into her hut was progressive by the standards of the time, and Kaede had always been of the opinion that her sister should return to peaceful rest in the afterlife, without dragging Inuyasha down with her.  Kagome did appreciate the offer of assistance, and was sure that she would make use of Kaede’s knowledge in the future, but for now she felt obligated to give her mother the first crack at taking care of her.  

“A wise choice,” Kaede declared when Kagome told her, nodding in understanding.  “Your mother has the benefit of experience.  She has borne children before, whereas I have not.  I hope that between the two of us we can guide you through a healthy pregnancy, on both sides of the bone eater’s well.”  

“Thank you, Kaede-baa-chan.”  “Thanks, babaa.”  

Inuyasha and Kagome looked at each other, having spoken at the same time.  But while one expression of gratitude was certainly more polite than the other, both were equally sincere.  Kaede gazed at Inuyasha contemplatively.  

“Inuyasha, how much do you know about pregnancy?”  

“Keh.  Why the hell would I know anything about that, babaa?” he retorted defensively.  

“Inuyasha!” Kagome snapped.  “Don’t be rude.  She’s offering to help you.  Though to be honest, Kaede-baa-chan, I really don’t know that much about it myself.  I’m sure my mother will give me more information than I’ll ever need.”  

“That is good,” Kaede told her.  “One can never know too much.  And indeed, I was offering to help.  Inuyasha, I am going to tell you the same thing I tell all of the husbands who come to see me.  This is your pregnancy as well.  You must educate yourself so you understand what your wi—Kagome is going through, and so you can help her as much as possible.  If you would like to expand your knowledge on the subject, you know where to find me.”  

Inuyasha considered that for a moment.  It was true that he needed to learn about pregnancy, if only to keep Kagome comfortable and safe.  Would getting lessons from Kaede be awkward as hell?  Definitely.  But given the lack of available alternatives, it might be his best option.  And he certainly appreciated the offer; Kaede’s generosity had already gone far above and beyond his expectations.  

“I’ll think about it, bab—Kaede.  Thanks.”  

Kaede sighed and shook her head, but she supposed that being called by her name, with nothing rude tacked on, was an improvement of sorts.  

“You are welcome, Inuyasha.  I sense that you will make a good partner and father if you put your mind to it.  But make no mistake, both of you.  Your lives have been changed forever.  Sometimes these things are destined by the Kami, and other times they are merely products of chance.  Only time will tell, and what you choose to make of it.”  

Both Inuyasha and Kagome nodded at the wisdom in those words.  Fate or luck had dealt them a hand, and they needed to embrace it and move forward.  Looking back and wondering what might have been would only lead them astray.  But this advice did remind Kagome of one thing she definitely regretted.  And in this case, there was likely no person alive more qualified to answer her question than Kaede.  

“Kaede-baa-chan, I…I can’t use my power anymore.  I’m no longer a miko.”  

“Being a miko means more than wielding power, child,” was Kaede’s immediate response, but afterwards she fingered her chin and closed her eyes, pondering silently.  After a moment, Miroku spoke up.  

“I found it surprising that Kagome-sama lost her spiritual power, Kaede-sama.  Despite what happened.”  

“You do not need to explain your reasoning to me, Houshi-dono,” Kaede told him.  “I understand well.  But spiritual power is a fickle thing.  It is sensitive to many changes a person may undergo, even those which seem insignificant.  It is possible that Kagome’s power has not vanished, but is merely dormant.  Allow me to think on this.  We will talk again when you return from your time.”  

After a brief exchange of goodbyes, Inuyasha and Kagome departed for the modern era.  Both were feeling understandably anxious.  Staring down into the darkness at the bottom of the well, Kagome took a deep breath to steady her nerves.  If she was already getting the jitters, what would she do when facing her mother?  Inuyasha stood silently beside her, but she could sense his apprehension in the rigidity of his back, and the frown on his face.  She reached for his hand and found it easily, as if he’d had the same idea and was only waiting for her to make the first move.  A gentle squeeze from him did much to slow the pounding of her heart, and she managed a hesitant smile.  

“Are you ready for this?” she asked.  

“Nope,” he replied honestly.  

“Inuyasha!” she groaned.  “You’re supposed to be trying to comfort me!”  

He scoffed at her.  “You’re the one who should be comforting me.  If your mom comes at me with a knife, I’m outta there.”  

“Oh, don’t be so dramatic.  Mama wouldn’t attack you with a knife…maybe a frying pan or a broomstick,” she teased.  “But then your head is hard enough to take it.”  

“Keh.  Wench.”  

Kagome giggled at his typical gruff response, but was glad to see a hint of a grin on his lips.  The humorous moment had done wonders to lighten her mood.  Now she felt ready to face her family.  

“Come on, let’s go,” she declared, stepping up onto the side of the well and jumping in.  Inuyasha followed her as expected—to a point.  

“Inuyasha!” she called, half yelling and half laughing.  She gazed up at him from inside the well, suspended only by her outstretched right arm, which he held effortlessly while straddling the opening of the structure above her.  The look on his face was priceless, and would perfectly fit the caption ‘do I really want to go through with this?’  

“You know, Kagome,” he said, his tone and expression so peculiar that she couldn’t tell whether he was joking or being completely serious.  “We don’t have to do this.  We could come back in eight months and say ‘here’s your grandchild.’”  

Now Kagome did laugh.  “We’re not doing that!  Now, come on.  Don’t tell me the mighty Inuyasha is afraid of a little middle-aged Japanese lady,” she scolded lightheartedly.  

Inuyasha scowled, and then suddenly Kagome was falling, shrieking in surprise as she plummeted into the time slip.  She was ready and waiting when Inuyasha emerged into the modern era a second after she did.  

“Baka!” she shouted, playfully slapping him on the shoulder.  “You could have warned me before you dropped me!”  

He smirked as if to say ‘where would the fun be in that?’  Then abruptly his smile faded away, his expression hardening with grim determination.  

“Inuyasha?  What’s wrong?”  

She gasped as his hand came to rest on her shoulder, holding her close, enough so that their breath mingled in the scant space between them.  And then she was paralyzed, both by the feel of him so near and the solemn look in his eyes, twin amber orbs shining like beacons in the darkness.  

“Seriously, Kagome,” he stated at last.  “If your mother loses it, I’m grabbing you and taking you back.  I’m going to protect you and the baby, above all else.”  

Kagome heard what he didn’t say—he was not going to allow that to happen again.  That being her treatment by Kikyou.  If her mother could not keep her cool, she had no doubt that Inuyasha would follow through on his threat.  Too much stress was not good for the baby, but more than that, she saw a silent vow reflected back at her as she gazed up at him.  This was not a one-time promise.  He would never let anyone abuse her like that again, no matter who her attacker was.  

Kagome’s breathing faltered.  Though she was truly touched, the reminder of Kikyou’s cruel words still brought her to the brink of tears.  Inuyasha accepted her into his embrace, holding her as a few rogue droplets flowed down her cheeks and were absorbed by the fabric of his haori.  But though Kagome relaxed and recovered her composure very quickly, Inuyasha’s body remained tensed.  

“Are you…” he mumbled, his voice barely above a whisper.  “Are you sure you still want me to stay?”  

Again, Kagome heard the words he failed to utter.  Are you sure you want to be with me, a hanyou who can’t even keep you from getting hurt?  Do you really want me to be the father of your child?  Kagome pulled back to look at him, taking in his downcast expression and ears drooped with shame.  Evidently, he had yet to forgive himself for what had happened with Kikyou, though she had forgiven him days ago.  He could no more control Kikyou than she could.  And she truly believed him when he said that he would never allow anything like that to happen again.  The next time they met Kikyou, if the dead miko’s attitude had not changed, she had no doubt that Inuyasha would do something.  

“Inuyasha, look at me.”  He did so, hesitantly, and Kagome smiled sadly at the hint of moisture in his eyes.  He is so hard on himself.  If I told him I didn’t want him, he would leave, even if it killed him.  He didn’t realize how much this would hurt her, as well.  

“Inuyasha, I have never been more sure of anything in my life.  The other night you said you needed me,” she reminded him, beaming at the sudden tinge of pink to his cheeks.  “Well…I need you too.  I can’t do this without you.”  

“You could,” he retorted, once again breaking eye contact.  Despite his response, however, Kagome could see that she had gotten through to him.  So she waited patiently for him to finish speaking, sensing that there was something else on his mind.  

“Dammit, Kagome,” he growled in frustration.  “You don’t need me to raise a kid.  You’ll be a natural mother.  Me, I don’t have any fucking idea how to be a father.”  

He had been thinking about this a lot lately.  On the night he had promised to stay with Kagome, he had also vowed to be a good father to their child.  But that was easy to say, and exponentially more difficult to actually achieve.  Every time he thought about the ‘how’ factor, his mind went blank.  The fleeting sense of confidence he had felt that evening had vanished without a trace and never returned.  The closest he’d had to a father growing up had been his human grandfather, who hadn’t said five words to him the whole time he’d lived at the village with his mother.  And then as soon as his mother died, he’d been chased out of the village with weapons and torches to fend for himself in the wilderness.  How could anyone with that sort of background turn out to be anything other than an absolutely terrible father?  

Kagome shook her head and favored him with a soft smile.  “Inuyasha, you’re going to be a wonderful father.”  

“Tch.  Bullshit,” he snorted dismissively.  

“It’s not,” she replied, more firmly this time.  Seeing that she had his attention, she lightened her tone once more.  “Inuyasha, the most important thing to being a good parent is caring.  You would go to the ends of the earth for this baby, and it’s not even born yet.  You care, more than you know.  The rest of it we can figure out together.  Okay?”  

He gazed at her, hope and self-loathing warring in his golden orbs until finally the former won out.  He nodded once, the left side of his lips quirking up in a relieved grin.  Kagome embraced him again, and this time when he hugged her back, all of the tension left him.  She breathed deeply of his scent, finally able to simply enjoy the sensation of his muscular body pressed against her own.  She felt so serene; she knew she could remain like this all afternoon.  But alas, all good things must come to an end.  So, with a regretful sigh, she reminded him of the task which still awaited them.  She felt him nod, and then after a breathtaking flurry of motion she found herself standing unsteadily on the dirt beside the well.  Inuyasha waited until she regained her balance, then released her, though he still remained close by her side.  His expression was guarded now, an obvious attempt to conceal his nervousness.  Kagome did not bother trying to hide hers; instead, she grabbed his hand and pulled him up the stairs, out onto the shrine grounds, and up to the front door of the house.  To his credit, Inuyasha offered no resistance.  

Now normally, she would barge in without knocking and announce her presence with a loudly-exclaimed ‘Tadaima!’  Feeling more subdued today, she instead knocked twice.  Then, after one final confidence-affirming deep breath, she cautiously opened the door and poked her head in.  In the foyer she immediately spied her mother, who had already been on her way to answer the door.  The older woman froze in her tracks and blinked in surprise.  

“Kagome?  You know you don’t have to knock when you come home.  Is something wrong?”  

Kagome could see the worry in her mother’s eyes; she probably thought that she and Inuyasha had fought again.  In a few minutes, she would likely wish it was that simple.  

“Hi, Mama,” Kagome greeted quietly, pushing open the door so her mother could see Inuyasha as well.  “Can we…talk to you?”  

Mrs. Higurashi stared a moment at their still-joined hands, then briefly locked eyes with each of them in turn.  Her brow furrowed in confusion and concern, but she held her questions.  Nodding, she turned and led them into the kitchen.  It was a good place to talk, since Souta had not yet returned from school and Kagome’s grandfather was in the shed.  Inuyasha had sensed this on the way in, and was glad that he and Kagome had managed to sneak past without the old man noticing them.  This was going to be hard enough with one Higurashi family member.  

The three of them sat around the table, Inuyasha and Kagome on one side and Mrs. Higurashi facing them from the other.  Kagome’s hands fidgeted in her lap, her eyes darting anxiously about the room.  She could only stand to make eye contact with her mother for the occasional split-second.  Inuyasha had more success in that regard, though it did help that Mrs. Higurashi was not really looking at him.  She sat motionless in her chair, back straight, studying her daughter with real apprehension coloring her features.  Kagome, on the other hand, could not seem to keep still.  While it appeared that Inuyasha was by far the more composed of the two, in reality he was just better at hiding his nerves.  He was sure the fact that this was her mother and not his own also had something to do with it.  He was considering whether he should take on the burden of spilling the beans himself when Kagome finally took a deep breath and spoke.  

“Mama…I’m pregnant.”  

Mrs. Higurashi’s eyes widened, but overall she did not seem as surprised as Inuyasha might have expected.  Evidently, pregnancy was one of the possibilities she had been turning around inside her head for the past few minutes.  She also reacted in an unexpected manner.  Instead of yelling or immediately demanding details—or attacking him with some sort of household weapon—she merely pushed back from the table and strode over to the counter.  Once there, she took a cup from the cupboard and began preparing herself some tea.  He did notice the way her hands shook slightly, but other than that she made no outward show of emotion.  She gazed out the window, apparently lost in deep contemplation.  

Inuyasha took all of this as a good sign.  Kagome still squirmed fretfully at his side, probably more unnerved by the silence than anything else, but Inuyasha allowed himself to relax just a bit.  Mrs. Higurashi was already taking this better than Kikyou had; she was actually willing to stop and think about it for a minute before throwing a tantrum.  But the seconds continued to tick by, until three or four minutes had passed.  Finally and with a roll of his eyes, Inuyasha decided to do something about Kagome’s fidgeting.  With a bit of hesitation, he placed his arm around her shoulders.  She froze, glancing left to where his hand rested, then slowly panned her gaze to the right with a dumbfounded expression.  He favored her with what he hoped was a confident smile, suddenly feeling more nervous than he had all day.  Kagome blushed and whipped her head back around to stare down at the table, but she did at least stop fidgeting.  

Inuyasha returned his gaze to Mrs. Higurashi, who he found leaning back against the counter, her expression unreadable.  He wasn’t sure how much of that exchange she had seen, but she made no comment as she reclaimed her seat at the table.  She took a moment to savor the first sip of her tea, letting out a soft, blissful sigh with eyes closed.  When she opened them again, both Inuyasha and Kagome could tell that her brief period of silent reflection was over.    

“So,” Mrs. Higurashi began, calmly but firmly.  “How did this happen?”  

It was a legitimate question, Kagome reflected.  By now her mother must have realized that her pregnancy had not resulted from a mutual confession of romantic feelings.  If she and Inuyasha had been planning a wedding or something, the mood at this table would be entirely different.  She would have confronted her mother with more of a ‘this is how it is’ attitude, rather than the vaguely apologetic one she now wore.  

So, slowly and with plenty of stumbling over her words, Kagome related the tale.  There was not much to say, fortunately, but she didn’t expect to get away with ‘we got drunk and slept together.’  As she spoke, she surreptitiously emphasized details which could at least provide a small amount of justification for her behavior, as people are wont to do when making a confession.  Her mother did not say anything, nor make any sound of disapproval, but her eyes spoke volumes the few times Kagome dared to meet them.  Her mother was incredibly disappointed, and the fact that Kagome had expected this did not lessen the sting of shame.  

At last she finished, and a brief silence settled over the kitchen until Mrs. Higurashi spoke.  

“So what are you going to do now?”  

Kagome blinked in surprise.  Of all the responses her mother could have started out with, she never would have expected that one.  It sounded like she was honestly asking her, one adult to another, rather than a parent asking what a child wants so she can decide whether to approve or not.  It was very strange, and more than a little disconcerting.  

“Mama?”  

“You heard me, Kagome.”  

“B-but, I…I mean, I thought you would…”

“Yell and forbid you from going back to the past ever again?”  At Kagome’s nod, Mrs. Higurashi laughed dryly.  “It was certainly my first instinct.  Why do you think I made tea?  But you appeared to be suitably remorseful about it.  Both of you seem to realize how big a deal this is.  So yelling would do absolutely no good, would it?”  She paused a moment, waiting for Kagome to nod her head in agreement.  “And as for forbidding you from going back, that wouldn’t do much good either.  If I told you that you could never see Inuyasha or your friends from the other side of the well again, would that stop you from going back?”  

Kagome considered this a moment.  She had been mentally prepared for her mother to make such a prohibition.  Obviously she would have tried to persuade her to reconsider, but if her mother remained unmoved, what would she have done?  Would she have relinquished the life she enjoyed in the past, with her friends and the man she loved?  

“Probably not,” she admitted sheepishly.  

“So it was never a matter of me letting you go back,” Mrs. Higurashi stated.  “You want me to approve of you traveling in a dangerous era while pregnant, with the man who made you that way in the first place.  I can’t do it!  I just…  But then, it doesn’t really matter.  If you’re looking for my approval, you won’t get it.  But I know I can’t stop you.  So I’ll ask again, what are you going to do now?”  

Kagome was left cringing from the bitterness in her mother’s tone, but she understood where the older woman was coming from.  Her mother really was treating her as an adult, instructing her to make her own choices and deal with the consequences.  Kagome found that she was ready for the responsibility; she knew without a doubt what her decision was, but she feared the repercussions.  For months she had maintained strong relationships on both sides of the well, and she prayed that this would not change.  That part of it at least was up to her mother.  

“Mama,” she began, somehow mustering the courage to keep her voice level.  “I have to go back.  My friends…I know from your perspective they died hundreds of years ago, but they’re real.  They want to settle down and live normal lives too, but they can’t.  Not until Naraku is defeated and the Shikon no Tama is purified.  I need to help them…in any way that I can.  I love them.  But I love my family too.  You, Jii-chan, Souta…I don’t want to lose any of you either.  Please…”

Kagome’s voice cracked at the end, the tears she had been holding back finally pooling in her eyes.  She knew what she was asking: please don’t disown me.  Please don’t tell me that I can’t see my family.  It was a truly horrifying thought.  But if forced to choose between her two families, old and new, she would choose the latter.  Inuyasha, Sango, Miroku, and Shippou needed her in a way that Mama, Jii-chan, and Souta did not.  Even if she never got her spiritual power back and was useless in combat, her friends in the past relied heavily on Inuyasha, who she was sure would remain by her side, whichever side of the well she chose.  She was also forced to consider which era would provide a better environment to raise their quarter-youkai child.  If it had Inuyasha’s ears or any other outwardly inhuman trait, the answer was obviously the feudal era.  Prejudice against nonhumans would be infinitely better than the treatment their child would receive in the modern era if he or she could not pass as a normal human.  And growing up in Kaede’s village, there probably wouldn’t be much prejudice to speak of at any rate.  Most of the people who could remember the brash, violent Inuyasha who had stolen the Shikon no Tama fifty years prior were dead.  The current generation more or less accepted him as one of the village’s protectors.  It would be no different for his offspring.  

All of this logic did not make the thought of being disowned by her natural family any more bearable.  If her mother told her to leave, it would be worse than anything Kikyou could ever do or say.  Inuyasha would have to carry her, because she would be reduced to an inconsolable mess.  She held her breath, waiting for her mother’s response.  

Finally, Mrs. Higurashi’s glare softened.  She reached for her daughter’s hand and Kagome desperately grasped the offered appendage in both of her own, clinging to it like a lifeline.  And in those tired eyes, from beneath all the disappointment and frustration, a mother’s love shone through.  

“Kagome, you know you will always be welcome here.  And I…understand why you need to go back.  I just hope you’ll be careful.  I don’t want to see you hurt anymore.”  

Mrs. Higurashi nodded her head just slightly in Inuyasha’s direction, and it became clear to Kagome that her mother was not referring merely to physical pain.  She opened her mouth to deliver assurances that Inuyasha wouldn’t hurt her in any way, but an unexpected voice cut her off.  

“She will,” Inuyasha declared resolutely, drawing the surprised gazes of both women.  But after letting Kagome handle things for a while, he knew it was time for him to do his part.  He and Kagome were in this together, after all.  

“I’ll make sure Kagome’s careful,” he continued.  “She won’t take part in any battles unless absolutely necessary.  Either me or Sango or Miroku will stay by her side at all times.”  

He paused, and Kagome reflected that none of his words were all that surprising.  All of it made perfect sense, and would pretty much go without saying in the feudal era.  What really shocked her was what he said next.  

“Kagome said we could get really good ‘pre-naytal’ care here.  Any time she needs supplies or has to see a doctor, we’ll come back, no questions asked.  If she needs me to carry her all day, I’ll do it.  I’ll take care of Kagome and the baby.  I’ll do what’s best for them, no matter what.”  

Mrs. Higurashi studied the pair across the table from her, her daughter and this man she loved.  Inuyasha, resolutely meeting her gaze without flinching, despite the embarrassed flush to his cheeks.  Kagome, regarding him adoringly, a brilliant smile adorning her features.  This man—he was the only one she looked at that way.  He had always held the tremendous power to make her smile, or cry.  She loved him with all her heart.  And looking at him now, Mrs. Higurashi thought that perhaps he loved her too.  If so, she knew she could not ask for better in a son-in-law.  She had always heard that sometimes things happened because they were destined by fate.  She didn’t know if that was true, but what she did know was that she wanted her daughter to be happy.  And if being with Inuyasha, if raising a child with Inuyasha would make her happy, then she was willing to give their love a chance.  She only hoped that Inuyasha would do the same.  

But as she considered his words, she did wonder where he stood on that front.  Kagome had essentially described a one-night stand between friends.  So what were they now?  Just friends?  Friends with benefits?  Friends with a hidden, unspoken romance between them?  Mrs. Higurashi quickly decided that she needed more insight on this subject, and the only way to know for sure was to ask.  

“What are you to each other now?”  

She almost laughed at the way Inuyasha tensed up, breaking eye contact immediately and taking to studying the microscopic imperfections in the nearest wall.  Kagome managed to appear only slightly more composed, but she did at least retain the ability to speak.  

“Mama, Inuyasha promised to stay with me and help raise our child.  We’re going to be parents together.”  

Mrs. Higurashi knew an evasion when she heard one.  But while Kagome had certainly avoided giving a real answer to her question, she had also revealed a great deal about the current state of their relationship.  Mrs. Higurashi looked to Inuyasha for confirmation and received a firm nod.  And for the first time that afternoon, she felt her lips part in a sincere smile.  So the two of them were obviously not a couple yet; it didn’t mean that it wouldn’t happen.  Inuyasha had clearly not made that promise simply because he felt obligated to.  Kagome seemed deliriously happy with the arrangement at this point, though it was obviously not everything she hoped for.  On the other hand, Mrs. Higurashi had the sneaking suspicion that her daughter was not telling her everything.  But there would be plenty of time for the two of them to speak privately over the next week or two.  Oh, yes, Kagome and Inuyasha were going to stay that long.  So they wanted modern prenatal care?  That was great, but they were going to take advice from the woman who had been through it twice before.  They were going to do it her way.  She didn’t think she would have to put her foot down too hard, but it would be a nice test of Inuyasha’s vow to do what was best for Kagome and the baby, ‘no questions asked.’  

“I’m glad,” she answered honestly.  “It’s wonderful that you’re going to raise the child together.  Children always benefit when there are two caring parents in the picture…”

“Mama…”

Mrs. Higurashi shook her head, chasing away her brief melancholy and moving on to another question on her mind.  

“So…you’ve definitely decided to have the baby, correct?”  

“Yes, Mama,” Kagome replied meaningfully.  

Mrs. Higurashi nodded in acceptance.  She didn’t have a problem with Kagome rejecting abortion, as long as she had considered it as an option.  She knew many Japanese parents would have actually pushed their daughters into abortion, to avoid ruining the girl’s future or bringing dishonor on her and the family.  But then most Japanese parents would not have allowed their daughters to travel back in time in the first place.  And most girls did not have the option of seeking a future that was not actually in the future.  If Inuyasha came to openly return Kagome’s feelings, there was a good possibility that the two of them would take up residence in the feudal era, and this whole ‘family honor’ concept would be moot.  So Mrs. Higurashi knew that even if she wanted Kagome to abort the baby, she could no more force her into it than she could force her to remain on this side of the well.  Most daughters didn’t have a powerful hanyou to take care of them if the only alternatives were to listen to the parent or get kicked out onto the street.  

Neither woman caught the look of confusion which passed over Inuyasha’s features at this exchange.  But he kept his puzzlement to himself, and the moment passed.  

Now that the truly serious subjects had been dealt with, what followed was a discussion of some of the finer details of how things would be handled going forward.  Kagome announced that she still planned to attend school, which caused a bit of an argument.  Inuyasha insisted on going with her, as in inside the building.  While his concern was endearing, this level of paranoia was too much.  Eventually she negotiated him down to remaining on one of the neighboring rooftops, and described to him the location of her classroom so he could look in through the window.  She did make him promise to remain concealed so she wouldn’t see him and be distracted from her studies.  

It was at this point that her mother ‘helpfully’ suggested that Inuyasha walk her to and from school, instead of trailing her from the rooftops as Kagome had imagined.  Of course Inuyasha agreed, not realizing the significance of the action in this time period.  But when Kagome glared at her, Mrs. Higurashi merely smiled innocently.  And when she cleverly retorted that Inuyasha drew too much attention in his fire-rat robes, her mother replied that they would simply have to buy him a couple sets of modern clothing.  At last, Kagome admitted defeat.  This was made easier since she was secretly delighted to be on the losing end of this one.  

They discussed several more relatively minor topics, avoiding making plans for too far ahead.  They had plenty of time to talk about how to handle the delivery, late-term prenatal care, and the like.  For now, no one felt up to a protracted conversation about things which would not take place for months, including Mrs. Higurashi.  She had just found out that she was going to be a grandmother, after all, and was probably still in a little bit of shock.  That, and she would need some time to truly move beyond her disappointment and frustration to be the loving, understanding mother that Kagome needed her to be.  

Eventually the conversation wound down, and Kagome started thinking about the other members of the household who had yet to learn of her pregnancy.  

She sighed.  “I guess we should go tell Jii-chan and Souta about this.  Although…”  She looked to her mother, silently pleading.  

Mrs. Higurashi favored her with a breathtakingly warm smile.  “Kagome, would you like me to inform your grandfather and brother about this?”  

Kagome nodded happily, and was just about to express her gratitude when her mother’s expression suddenly shifted.  

“Not a chance, dear,” she said firmly, still smiling, but more in amusement than warmth this time.  “You are very clearly an adult now.  You’ll have to tell your grandfather and Souta yourself.  Preferably in that order, so your grandfather doesn’t have to hear about it from a…shall we say, second-hand source.”  

Kagome grinned sheepishly, suddenly understanding the meaning of the phrase ‘tough love.’  But it was love nonetheless, and her mother was right.  She was an adult, and that meant doing what needed to be done without complaint.  As she led Inuyasha from the kitchen in search of her grandfather, her mother called after them, still sounding fairly amused.  

“It is a good time to be glad that the current Higurashi priest’s sutras don’t work, ne Inuyasha?”  

“Keh.”  

In the end, Kagome sincerely wished she’d had the foresight to talk to her grandfather alone.  Not because he flung sutras at Inuyasha—he didn’t.  In fact, rather than attempting to drive Inuyasha away, her grandfather had done just the opposite.  It should have set off alarm bells.  She had forgotten that the old man grew up in a time when having a child out of wedlock was far more socially stigmatized than it was today.  So the natural solution when presented with a pregnant, unwed female family member was to invite the male responsible into the family.  ‘Invite’ being a generous term.  In reality, what transpired was a none-too-gentle demand to ‘do right by my granddaughter.’  And since Inuyasha didn’t seem to immediately understand exactly what that meant, her grandfather endeavored to explain, poking him in the chest all the while.  Kagome just barely managed to interrupt before the dreaded M-word was uttered—the one her mother had been tactful enough not to mention in Inuyasha’s presence.  But tact had never been her grandfather’s strong suit.  He was actually similar to Inuyasha in that regard, but good luck convincing either of them that they shared a character trait.  

Kagome was mentally exhausted by the time that little discussion was over.  Inuyasha hadn’t appreciated her grandfather’s implications, and her grandfather hadn’t appreciated him knocking her up in the first place.  Or her shushing him when he tried to tell Inuyasha to marry her.  Fortunately, Inuyasha in his anger had actually responded in a way which seemed to somewhat mollify the old man, paraphrasing the promise he’d made to her mother in the kitchen.  The two of them had parted on relatively good terms, an uneasy truce in place between them.  The peaceful resolution did nothing to alleviate Kagome’s sudden headache or that hint of nausea she could feel brewing in her belly.  And to top everything off, as she dragged Inuyasha back toward the house, she saw Souta coming up the shrine steps.  

She groaned.  “You tell him,” she ordered, essentially throwing Inuyasha at her brother.  The hanyou turned as if to protest, but took one look at her and apparently thought better of it.  A wise move.  

She became more than a little annoyed when Inuyasha beat around the bush for the better part of five minutes, making pointless small talk.  She was just thinking that perhaps a nice ‘osuwari’ would loosen his tongue when he finally quit stalling.  Souta’s positive reaction did much to improve her sour mood.  There was something contagious about his youthful exuberance, his excitement at the prospect of being an uncle so young.  The fact that he idolized the father was also a huge part of it, Kagome had no doubt.  Unfortunately, though the reactions of Jii-chan and Souta had been at opposite ends of the spectrum, they did share one common thread.  And this time she wasn’t quick enough to prevent it from being voiced.  

“So are you guys getting married or something?”  

Was it possible to hear one’s own veins popping in one’s forehead?  Kagome felt her face turn several shades of red.  If looks could kill, she would be an only child.  Souta, sensing her murderous intent, made a beeline for the house and slammed the door behind him.  Damn, damn, damn!  She had wanted to avoid having her family delve too deeply into her relationship with Inuyasha.  She knew where she stood in that regard.  Inuyasha had given her all he felt free to give, and that was enough for now.  All talking about marriage would do was make him guilty and uncomfortable.  

That much was true, she realized as she looked at him.  But again he surprised her.  Rather than appearing ready to close himself off emotionally, he simply stood and gazed at her with a sad expression.  

“Kagome, you can stop trying so hard.  I’m not stupid.  I know what the jijii and even your mom were talking about.  I just…can’t think about that right now.”  

His eyes begged her to understand, to forgive him for not being able to give her what her family wanted.  Kagome felt her heart melt as she made her way over to him.  She took his hand and squeezed it lovingly as she smiled up at him.  

“I know that, Inuyasha.  That’s why I tried to keep them quiet.  I didn’t want you to feel bad.”  

“I appreciate it, but don’t worry about me.  I’m tough.  I can take it.”  

And just like that, he was back to being his confident, slightly arrogant self.  How much of that was illusory in that moment, Kagome would never know.  But she was so ready to move away from this topic of conversation that she didn’t dwell on it.  

They went back into the house only to find her mother absent.  According to a note left on the kitchen table, she had gone to the store.  Kagome wondered what she was buying, but idle curiosity was very far down on her list of priorities right now.  Recently moved up to the top was a hot bath.  She swore she heard glorious classical music playing as she sank into the steamy water.  Then a few minutes later, the imaginary music abruptly stopped and she had to leap out of the tub to be sick.  But her stomach seemed to settle soon after, so her excursion to the toilet did not detract too much from her enjoyment of the bath.  

Forty-five minutes later, feeling completely refreshed and clad in a clean, comfortable set of flannel pajamas, Kagome made her way downstairs.  She found Inuyasha watching a baseball game with Souta, the latter rooting for one team or another and the former simply taking it all in.  She snickered under her breath; Inuyasha was probably just glad not to be the center of attention for a change.  She entered the kitchen looking for her mother, and found her there, but the first thing she noticed was the large bottle on the counter.  They were prenatal vitamins, she learned upon further inspection.  And not store brand either.  Kagome groaned mentally.  Let the spending begin…

She was of course grateful for her mother’s thoughtfulness.  Even more so when she was informed that her first prenatal appointment had already been scheduled, though not so much when she learned of the actual date.  

“Next Friday?!  But Mama, that’s over a week away!”  

“Is that a problem?” Mrs. Higurashi demanded with a frown.  

Kagome grimaced.  She didn’t mind the long stay, but it wasn’t her opinion which concerned her.  As it turned out, she needn’t have worried about her partner either.  

“It’s fine!” Inuyasha called crankily from the other room.  “Do what your mom says, wench.”  

Kagome blinked in surprise.  “You’ll really let me stay here for more than a week?”  

“Keh!  I already said it, didn’t I?”  

Kagome quickly decided not to press Inuyasha any further.  He was definitely committed to honoring his word, but that didn’t mean he was happy about the delay.  Pleased or no, however, his answer did satisfy her mother, who Kagome hugged and thanked for the help she had already provided, not two hours after learning of her pregnancy.  Then she pushed the older woman out of the kitchen, promising to make dinner for the family.  Her mother could use a break, and giving her an opportunity to spend time with Inuyasha was also a positive outcome.  And if the meal Kagome prepared was not quite up to the usual standards of the household, no one dared to complain.  

After such an eventful day, Kagome expected sleep to come easily.  Yet later that night, she found herself lying on her back, staring up at the ceiling.  The problem was not the mattress, which was as comfortable as ever.  Nor was she feeling ill.  No, there was just something bugging her, something about Inuyasha’s words earlier…

She sat straight up in bed with a gasp.  Her gaze panned over to him, finding his eyes glowing back at her from his place under the window, silently asking if she was okay.  She managed a shaky nod and settled down again, raising the covers up to her nose in an attempt to conceal her blush.  Still she sensed him watching her, which raised delightful goose bumps on her arms.  Her mind raced now, repeatedly running over his words.  

“I know what the jijii and even your mom were talking about.  I just…can’t think about that right now.”  

The last part of that statement was what quickened her heartbeat, the end of the phrase which seemed to leave tantalizing possibilities hanging in the air.  He could not consider marriage right now, but perhaps later?  For instance, if Kikyou forgave him and found peace?  And Kagome didn’t think he was talking about marriage for the sake of duty, either.  She had initiated a kiss in the tree after Kikyou’s appearance, and they’d also had a near miss before that.  In her more optimistic moments, she thought that at least part of him wanted to be romantically involved with her, but there was something holding him back.  It didn’t take a genius to figure out what that was.  

Of course, there was still the disappointing possibility, even probability, that she was reading too much into his words, inventing meaning and significance where there really was none.  Still, she could not stop her mind from turning, from imagining what could be.  She and Inuyasha, wed and basking in each other’s love, raising a child together.  

With a sigh, Kagome rolled over and drifted off to sweet dreams.  


A/N – Am I crazy?  For some reason, I picture Jii-chan sitting on his porch, wearing blue overalls with a gun on his lap and a stalk of hay in between his teeth, waiting for Inuyasha to show up.  That would be the American version of a “shotgun wedding.”  I’m sure the Japanese have their own version, LOL.  

And thanks again to SplendentGoddess for answering my question about the various honorifics people use for Kaede.  I believe it’s done correctly now.  I like to use some Japanese in my fanfics, but not incorrect Japanese.