InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ Don't Try to Match the Matchmaker, Rin! ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
AN: I'm so happy people seem to like that last chapter! We're back to the present now… also, it's about a week after that last chapter.
 
Don't Try to Match the Matchmaker, Rin!
 
 
“You have got to be kidding me.” Kagome stated with wide eyes.
 
Rin just grinned and shook her head, “Nope.”
 
“I'm not doing this.”
 
“Oh, yes you are.”
 
“I have a job to do.”
 
“Not today. Besides, it will only last an hour or two… maybe three if we're lucky.”
 
“I'm going to kill you.”
 
“You know you love me to death.”
 
“Yeah, to death, let's skip ahead to that part.” Kagome said with a sneer.
 
“You're spending too much time with Inuyasha.” Rin informed her.
 
Kagome shook her head. “He's my client. I don't have time for this!”
 
Rin rolled her eyes, “Yes, you do. Wednesday is your day off, he's not coming in and you know it. Now sit your ass down!”
 
Kagome sat down with a pout. “I hate you.”
 
“Hate's such an ugly word, Kagome.”
 
“I loathe you then.”
 
Rin shook her head smirking and stood behind Kagome, beginning to curl her hair. “You'll thank me after this, Kagome. He really is a hottie.”
 
“But I'm not ready for a date.” She whined.
 
Rin grabbed Kagome's chin and forced her to look up at her, Rin's eyes were blazing with a heated fire Kagome hadn't seen since Manten tried to cut off her hair. “Listen to me, you haven't been out on a date in two years; count `em… two! You're on your way to becoming like Mrs. Tai!”
 
Kagome grimaced; Mrs. Tai was an old woman who used to scare the hell out of Rin and Kagome when they were teens. She lived down the street from Rin and had 250 cats at the least... and always seemed to get more. “Err… ok, whatever.”
 
“That's my girl!” Rin smiled.
 
----
 
If there was one thing Kagome hated, it was blind dates, which was ironic considering her line of work… it bordered on hypocritical.
 
She gripped the skirt of her sundress. It was a pretty, sunny day so she wore a knee-length, pale yellow sundress with white sandals; her hair was curled and in a ponytail… she was nervous. She stood near the entrance of the café looking for her date.
 
Rin didn't even bother with a description of the man. All she said was his name was Amari and he was cute.
 
Someone tapped her on the shoulder, “Kagome Higurashi?”
 
She turned around to see a man with short black hair and near black eyes. “Yes, that's me. Are you Amari?”
 
He smiled sheepishly, “Amari Nobunaga at your service.”
 
She smiled as they walked to their table. He pulled out her chair and tripped over one of the legs. Kagome tried to stifle her laugh. She coughed repeatedly before she asked, “Are you ok?”
 
“Um, yeah, I'm fine.” He answered blushing as he sat down and pulled up his menu.
 
“So you work as a matchmaker?”
 
Kagome nodded, “At Blazing Hearts.”
 
“That place is famous; you must be really good to work there.”
 
“Yeah, I guess so.” Kagome said offhand, she didn't want to talk about Blazing Hearts or her job there. “Are you ready to order?”
 
“Yeah, are you?”
 
“Yes,” she waved her hand for a waitress.
 
“May I take your order?” asked the waitress when she arrived at the table.
 
“Yes, I'll have the oden and hot tea with lemon.”
 
The waitress nodded and looked at Amari, “And you, sir?”
 
“Oh, um, I'll have the same; except no lemon for me.”
 
She nodded as she wrote it all down and walked away. Kagome looked at Amari, “So… what do you do?”
 
“Me? Nothing important, I just work at Nobunaga Corp. with my dad.”
 
Kagome nodded, she figured as much. Though she didn't know how long the corporation would last if Amari took over, he didn't seem very competent to her.
 
“Do you have any children?”
 
He blushed again, “No, no children… I have a pet monkey, his name is Hiyoshimaru.” He pulled out a picture of himself with a small white monkey on his shoulder. “He's my best friend in the whole world.”
 
Kagome forced a smile; she was somewhat weirded out about a guy whose best friend was a monkey. “That's… uh, nice.”
 
His smile never wavered; he apparently didn't notice how hard it was for Kagome to act at least semi-fine with it. He proceeded to tell her about all the funny things Hiyoshimaru had done and then his rambling went on to some girl.
 
“Her name's Tsuyu, she was the prettiest, most perfect woman I ever met. I met her in gym class in the tenth grade… we were running outside and I tripped and fell in some mud. I was horrified she was laughing so hard as she helped me up… She's funny and has the most adorable laugh. But I don't think she ever thought of me as more than a friend… and I could never tell her how I felt. And now she's with some other guy, married and pregnant.”
 
Kagome drank her tea to suppress her yawn. Leave it to Rin to hook her up with not only a desperately boring man with a monkey, but a desperately boring man with a monkey who was stuck on some girl from his past. No wonder this Tsuyu girl thought of him only as a friend… he was the type of guy who needed Blazing Hearts. Hell, he was the poster child for it.
 
“I'm sorry, I shouldn't be going on like this while we're on a date; it's rude, I'm sorry.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “No, no, it's fine. I understand how it is.” `How does Rin make it at Blazing Hearts??'
 
“No, it's not fine. I-“
 
“Don't say it again, please. Sorry is my least favorite word in the dictionary.” She grumbled as she turned her attention to her oden.
 
“Oh, sorry, I mean, oh I'm so- Oh, I did it again, so-“
 
Kagome laughed, “Just eat your food.”
 
“I just can't wait to introduce you to Hiyoshimaru,” he started up again.
 
Kagome groaned mentally, `Kill me now.'
 
----
 
“Can you believe it??” Miroku asked excitedly over the phone.
 
Inuyasha shook his head, though he knew his friend couldn't see it, “My response hasn't changed since the last fifteen times you asked.”
 
“Sorry, it's just… wow! I've wanted this since… I dunno… and here it is. Here she is and she's beautiful and gorgeous and glowing and vibrant and-“
 
“I get already.” Inuyasha groused as he lit up a cigarette.
 
“I know… but I'm finally gonna be a dad! A little me running around!”
 
“Women everywhere tremble with fear.” He quipped dryly.
 
“Very funny.” Miroku remarked. “But do you wanna know what the best part is?”
 
Inuyasha rolled his eyes, “I can only guess.”
 
“She'll want sex a lot more now!”
 
God, Inuyasha could see the lecherous grin on Miroku's face. A grin spread on Inuyasha's face as he thought of what would wipe that smirk right off Miroku, “Yes, more sex for you. But she'll also be more emotional and more violent. Imagine the mood swings, and don't forget the morning sickness that will last all day, all the crying and no matter what you say it'll only make her cry more. Of course she'll also be waking you up at three in the morning for you to go get her some watermelon covered in soy sauce. And that's just before the kid's born.”
 
“…”
 
Inuyasha smirked as he imagined the horrified look on his best friend's face. That would teach him to wake him up at nine in the morning on a day he didn't have to do anything but relax and keep him on the phone until two! “Have fun with that.”
 
“You're a mean friend, Inuyasha.” Miroku griped.
 
Inuyasha laughed, “I seriously am happy for you, Miroku, but you need to get off my line.”
 
“Yeah, yeah…” he trailed off to shout, “Ok!” at whatever Sango said. “Gotta go anyway, Inu, Sango wants to go out to celebrate.”
 
“Works for me, get off my phone.”
 
“See ya.” Miroku said before hanging up.
 
Inuyasha shook his head. Wasn't it supposed to be the woman who was on the phone for hours on end? In fact, shouldn't it have been Sango who was more excited? He shrugged at his own questions and decided to go out for a walk.
 
----
 
`Two hours, fifteen minutes, thirty-three seconds. Two hours, fifteen minutes, thirty-four seconds. Two hours, fifteen minutes and thirty-five seconds.' Kagome counted.
 
Amari was currently rambling on about something else Hiyoshimaru did. She thanked God he wasn't one of her clients. She'd never find him anyone!
 
Wait… on second thought, he was handsome, not too bright, and his hair was smooth and silky. Maybe she could hook him up with Yura? Yura would definitely put some spice in this vanilla wafer's life. And Yura wasn't too choosy either, all she wanted was a handsome young man with great hair. Kagome was sure Yura wouldn't mind that he's a little air-headed and clumsy… hell, Yura was practically fit for a straight jacket; not that Kagome would ever tell anyone that.
 
`Two hours, fifteen minutes and forty-one seconds...'
 
Would no one save her from this hellish date?? They've been in the same café for hours! Kagome was finished with her food and ready to go and this man was still talking! And what made it more unbelievable was the fact that he was still interested in what he was talking about! What was he talking about now? She had lost track.
 
She looked at him. He was still smiling and talking animatedly, not noticing how hard it was for her to keep her eyes open. She rested her head in her hand propped up by her elbow… and she was trying desperately to stay awake.
 
Her eyes strayed to look around the café when she saw him. He could save her! `Inuyasha!'
 
 
----
 
 
Inuyasha thanked the cashier as he paid for his ice cappuccino. He turned around and spotted a pair of chocolate colored eyes staring at him.
 
A smile graced his lips, `Kagome.'
 
He then noticed how desperate she looked. She was practically begging him with her eyes to go over there to intervene… well he wasn't sure what he'd be intervening in but it sure looked dull.
 
She was with some guy who was talking about something, he didn't seem to notice Kagome's lack of interest… what was Kagome doing out with some guy anyway?
 
Inuyasha shrugged mentally and walked over to them. “Hey there, Kagome.”
 
The man stopped talking to look up at him while Kagome smiled and said, “Hi, Inuyasha.”
 
“Who's this, Kagome?” the man asked.
 
“This is Inuyasha, Inuyasha this is Amari, my date.” She said the word date with such distaste Inuyasha could taste it.
 
“Oh, I'm sorry for interrupting but…” he put on his most pathetic face ever, his eyes practically watery, “Something happened between me and Yuki and I really need your help. I don't know what to do!” his voice actually breaking in that last line.
 
Kagome's eyes widened and she looked at Amari, “Do you mind cutting this short?” she asked.
 
Amari nodded; mouth agape, “Of course, go ahead, Kagome… I hope you figure this out, man.” He told Inuyasha in all seriousness, Inuyasha fought the urge to roll his eyes.
 
Inuyasha sniffed, “Thank you.” He told him before leading Kagome out of the café.
 
Once they were far enough away from the café, Kagome started laughing. “Oh. My. God. You…” she trailed off cracking up again.
 
Inuyasha shook his head, “I hope you appreciate that! That's the last time I act like a wench to get you out of a date!”
 
Kagome smiled and wrapped her arms around his waist from behind him, “Aww, you do like me, don't you?”
 
Inuyasha laughed, “Lapse of sanity on my part.” He grasped her hand and pulled her off him, twirling her around before letting go with her walking beside him.
 
“Thanks, though, you're a good actor.” She told him with a small smile as they stopped at a park. “Let's go swing!” she exclaimed, running to the swing set with an almost childish manner.
 
He sat down on the swing next to her. “So what was that date all about anyway?”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes and scowled, Inuyasha was actually surprised that she could scowl, “Rin. I'm going to kill her when I see her. She thought it fitting to meddle in my life and force me on a blind date.”
 
“Isn't that what you do?”
 
“No I'm paid to do that by the people whose lives I'm meddling in!”
 
Inuyasha raised an eyebrow.
 
“Or by the person's friends.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. “I get it, she's your best friend; she shouldn't have made you go if you didn't want to.”
 
“Exactly.”
 
“And if she had to she could've at least chosen someone you'd like.”
 
Exactly.”
 
“And even then, she should've realized how happy you are with Kagura and leave it at that.”
 
Exact- what??”
 
 
I like this chapter. I like this chapter a lot. I hope you do too. It's my longest one. Please review.