InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ The Announcement ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
AN: I know it's been a while since my last update and I have no excuse other than sheer laziness.
 
The Announcement
 
She was still talking. He watched as her mouth continued moving at almost lightning speed. He didn't even know what she was talking about anymore. He tuned her out when the topic left Kagome.
 
He didn't know why he was so interested in her past anyway. He chalked it up to curiosity. He wondered if she'd tell him about her past. Or would she get angry and tell him to butt out? He stifled a yawn. He briefly wondered why he was thinking about his matchmaker when a beautiful, albeit very rambling, woman was sitting right across from him. Again, he chalked it up to curiosity.
 
After all, why else would he be wondering about her? Had Eri not brought her up, then Inuyasha's mind would never have fallen to her… his brows furrowed. No, that wasn't true. He had wanted to know about Hiten, he remembered. His lips tightened into a thin line as he thought about Hiten.
 
The man whose face he had never seen yet had such a desire to hit. What was Kagome doing with him at that moment? “He's a friend of mine. His little sister's spending the night over my house so he's coming to pick me up and drop Souten off with me.” Was that the truth? Was she lying to him? Was she actually seeing this guy?? What were they doing?
 
He shook his head of all the horrible and disgusting images he thought up. He sighed. Why would she lie to him anyway? It wasn't as though they were seeing each other. Quite the opposite in fact as he was currently on a date with the woman she picked out.
 
“Inuyasha, are you okay?”
 
Inuyasha snapped out of his thoughts when Eri waved her hand in front of him. He blinked and looked at her. He lips were turned into a disapproving frown and one of her eyebrows was raised. “Are you bored, Inuyasha?” she asked him, her chipper voice now lower in octave.
 
Inuyasha shook his head, “No way.”
 
“Because you haven't paid attention to a thing I've said since I dropped the subject of Kagome.” She told him.
 
Inuyasha shook his head, “Not true.” He said. It was very true, but Eri certainly didn't need to know that. However, one look at her told him she wasn't buying it.
 
“I don't like being lied to Inuyasha. And I think you're being very stupid.”
 
He blinked; he really had no idea what to say to that. “What?”
 
Eri rolled her eyes, “Stop going to Blazing Hearts.” She told him in a voice that seeped with authority. This woman was actually telling him what to do.
 
“Why?” he asked.
 
She looked at him as though she'd never met a more idiotic man. “You're just wasting your money.” She told him as she stood up and threw her jacket on and left without another word; leaving Inuyasha to himself, confused.
 
----
 
It was the day after the date between Inuyasha and Eri and, once again, Eri had come back to Blazing Hearts just to say that it didn't work out. Rin sighed, “What was wrong with him?” she asked. Rin had actually lost count of all the matches she had turned down after the first date.
 
“Nothing was really wrong with him; he just wasn't interested in me.” She told her.
 
Rin shook her head, “I don't get it. Kagome said that you had every trait he wanted in a woman, though.” She dropped her head in her hands and groaned. Kagura always said that she shouldn't be so upset when hookups don't work out. It was just more money for her.
 
Kagura just couldn't grasp how annoyed Eri made her. It was unhealthy! Of course, Eri was nothing compared to Yura, but Eri didn't know when to shut up. They were adults and Eri still gossiped like a teenager. And Rin didn't even like that when they were teenagers.
 
Eri shrugged, “I don't really think he's that interested in matches as he is the matchmaker.”
 
Rin's head snapped up and she looked at her client. “What was that?”
 
----
 
After the date with Eri turned out to be a bust, Kagome decided it might be better to take Inuyasha free lancing; to help him meet women outside of the Blazing Hearts clientele and hope that worked better. Kagome wanted to make sure Inuyasha was comfortable, as was necessary for him to meet his match, so she let him choose the place to look.
 
She was surprised at his choice. He chose the park of all places. The only single women at the park a man was likely to meet were single moms. But if that was what he wanted, who was she to judge?
 
“Inuyasha! Kagome!”
 
Kagome looked around when she heard her name. Inuyasha pulled her arm in the direction of the voice. The voice turned out to be Sango. She and Miroku were sitting on a large blanket, obviously for a picnic, though they hadn't seemed to start it yet.
 
“It's about time you guys got here.” Miroku said with a smile.
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow. “What's going on, Inuyasha?”
 
Inuyasha smiled, “Sango and Miroku wanted you to come to a picnic, but you're so busy with my love life and all.”
 
She looked at him, “This isn't helping our search.”
 
He shrugged, “How about a little fun, Kagome? This girl searching makes me hungry anyway. C'mon.”
 
She smiled back at him. “All right.” She said as she sat down with him on the blanket. Miroku and Sango were beaming, still in the early stages of marriage obviously. Miroku smiled warmly at Sango and Sango was blushing.
 
To say it made Kagome a bit more than uncomfortable would have been a slight understatement. Kagome made it a point not to spend time with former clients and their lovers. But when Inuyasha smiled at her and looked at her expectantly with those eyes of gold, she felt her knees quake and sat herself down.
 
The four ate in relative silence. The occasional, “This is really good, Sango,” would come from Kagome's lips but other than that she remained quiet as the others spoke. Kagome really didn't pay attention to what was being said. They were Inuyasha's friends, not hers. Miroku was only a former client and Sango was his wife, and they were paying her to do something they weren't allowing her to do at the moment.
 
She honestly had no clue as to what they were talking about when they decided to bring her into the conversation. Not that it mattered, as it seemed they began a whole new conversation with her. She knew this as soon as Miroku said, “Kagome, there is something Sango and I would like to tell you.”
 
Why that sentence had made Kagome's entire being tense with dread, she wouldn't know until the next thing that came out of his mouth. “We're going to have a baby!” he shouted with excitement. For Kagome, time froze still.
 
A baby.
 
Sango was pregnant.
 
They were going to have a baby.
 
With her hair and his eyes.
 
A child.
 
Of their very own.
 
“Isn't it wonderful??” he asked her when the world came back to normal.
 
Kagome stared at him with wide eyes. Wasn't it wonderful? Wonderful? For them, it was wonderful. For her? Just a painful reminder.
 
She said nothing as she quickly stood and ran away from them as fast as she could.
 
I know I said this would be where Kagome's divorce would be explained but this is too good a spot to stop, so next chapter will be Her Third Love. I promise. Please review.