InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ Her Third Love ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
AN: I have valid excuses this time. I had to perform in a play, which is now over, I had final projects due, which are done now, and I was seriously worried about my finals, which are done and I'm graduating tomorrow! Now I have more time for my stories and I'll have even more time after I graduate. Yay! So, again, I'm sorry, but the past few weeks have been a little more hectic than I expected.
 
AN2: A few people tried to guess why Kagome reacted the way she had in the last chapter. One person got it right. You'll know who you are at the end of the chapter and congratulations.
 
AN3: After re-reading Blazing Hearts I realized I made a mistake. In chapter four I gave Houjo the name Houjo Mabuchi, but then I found out Houjo was his last name in the show I named him Akitoki Houjo in the fifteenth chapter. I had forgotten I already gave him a name, but as of now Houjo will remain Akitoki Houjo. I'm sorry for any confusion that may have caused someone.
 
Her Third Love
 
“Until death do you part?”
 
Death… they made it no where near it.
 
“I do.”
 
The biggest lie he told. She shook her head as unwanted memories filled her mind. Damn Inuyasha! Damn Sango! Damn Miroku! Damn everyone! She ran faster.
 
“Kagome!” shouted a voice behind her.
 
Inuyasha… what did he want now? She sped up, ignoring the burning pain in her legs. She wanted away; she needed to be away… she couldn't handle it….
 
Every time she saw a pregnant woman, the desire to vomit could almost overcome her. Tears welled up in her eyes and she choked back a sob. Her foot stubbed a rock and she stumbled... she fell… into Inuyasha's arms.
 
She looked up into his golden gaze. “Are you okay, Kagome?” he asked, concerned as his voice was and his eyes reflected, she couldn't bear to be near him a moment longer.
 
“Leave me alone,” she muttered, her words broken by her sobs. Tears flowed freely down her face now. It was unfair! Why was everything so unfair?? Fate mocked her! Destiny laughed in her face! The world happily played with her and this man, this hanyou, who held her in his arms so protectively was just the newest game. `Let's see who can break Kagome's heart next!' she thought scornfully. She was life's plaything.
 
She tried to pull herself out of his grasp, but couldn't find the strength. What was it about this man? The man she was desperately trying to find a match for… ironic. Ironic was the only thing that could sum up what she was feeling. She had fallen in love, for a fifth time… only to fall in love with her client.
 
How could she have been so stupid?? The word, “idiot”, ran through her mind a million times over as she allowed herself to be rocked gently in the very arms that could crush her without a moment passed. When did he sit them down on a bench? She didn't realize he moved… she didn't care. She was an idiot. Four times she let herself fall for a man. And four times her heart had been ripped out.
 
So much for third time's a charm, she was on her fifth. But she knew. She could never have him. He wasn't hers. He'd never be hers. She was responsible to find the one he'd belong to. And it could never be her. Not because it would ruin her reputation as a matchmaker… she just couldn't let herself. `Not again… never again…' she told herself. No, she had learned her lesson. She wouldn't give him the chance to hurt her.
 
“Kagome, what's wrong?” he asked.
 
She wiped her eyes with her palms and sniffed, “Nothing. I have to go.”
 
She pried herself away from him, he stared blankly and confused. Sango and Miroku ran up to them. “Are you all right?” Sango asked, wide eyed and panicked.
 
Kagome smiled, though difficult as it was, “I'm fine, I just need to go home now,” she assured her. She turned her attention to Inuyasha, “I'm sorry this didn't work out today. Next time we'll try harder.” She looked at Miroku, “Congratulations.”
 
With that said, she took a deep breath and walked away. A million emotions gnawing at her and leaving three very confused people behind her.
 
--
 
Inuyasha watched as Kagome walked away. What was so intense about a baby announcement? What exactly made her act the way she had? Had this anything to do with her past? He wished he knew what happened. And he wished he knew how to help her.
 
He looked at his friends, both with expressions similar to his own… worry, concern and utter bewilderment etched in their faces. He looked back to where Kagome stood before him, he wanted to go after her, but the tone in her voice rooted him to the spot he stood.
 
He needed to have a little talk with Rin…
 
----
 
 
“Kagome?”
 
There was no answer.
 
“Kagome? Open the door.”
 
Nothing happened. Rin growled low in her throat, “I'm not playing with you! Open this damn door!”
 
Still, there was no answer and no opening of the door. Rin sighed. After Eri left Blazing Hearts, she got a phone call. One could imagine her surprise when she heard Inuyasha's voice on the other line. He had told her about what happened with Sango and Miroku; he asked what was wrong with Kagome.
 
Rin knew what happened and told him not to worry, she would handle it. “Please, Kagome… open this door…”
 
She groaned loudly as the door remained quiet and still. She slammed her fist on the door once, twice, three times, soon it became on loud onslaught on Kagome's door. She continued banging until she heard the locks click and the door slowly opened.
 
“You're bothering my neighbors,” Kagome told her in a flat voice.
 
“If you would've let me in, I wouldn't have.”
 
“Rin… I really want to be alone right now.”
 
“I'm worried about you. I heard about everything from Inuyasha,” she told her. “Let me in.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “Rin, go home, I want to be alone.”
 
“Kagome…”
 
“No, just leave me alone for now.”
 
“Are you sure?” Rin asked, not thoroughly convinced.
 
Her friend nodded, “Yes, positive. I'll talk to you tomorrow about it, okay?”
 
“Okay, Kagome…” she replied before turning around and walked away.
 
----
 
Kagome walked to her room and lied on her bed. The clock beside her read 1:54 p.m. She'd need to pick up Shippo in an hour. She looked up; unblinking as she stared intently on the white ceiling above her. Soon the whiteness began to grow as it consumed her fully. She lost herself in her mind…
 
“It's all right, Kagome, we can adopt.”
 
They had tried and tried and tried again. Still, they were forced with the same result. “I'm sorry Mr. and Mrs. Houjo. The results came back negative.”
 
Another failure… Kagome had lost count of the previous times they had attempted for a child. Her husband had finally agreed to Kagome's idea of adoption. Kagome wanted a baby… desperately…Kagome would have loved to give birth to a beautiful baby, but the way things were shaping up… that wasn't a possibility. The next best thing was to adopt, Kagome was all right with it, but it took Akitoki a while to agree.
 
“It's all right, Kagome… we can adopt,” he told her, defeated.
 
Kagome knew he wanted a baby of his own blood, possibly more than she did. She felt horrible that she couldn't give it to him, she felt like… she was a lesser woman almost…
 
But feeling sorry for one's self solved nothing. Kagome knew this well…
 
----
 
The twenty-two year old woman laughed as her best friend jumped up and down squealing like a schoolgirl. “Rin, calm down!”
 
“I can't help it! He's so adorable!” the short haired woman said, fawning over the baby; a sweet little one year old, with a tuff of red hair and big green eyes.
 
“I would have preferred a baby girl.” Kagura said, smirking, her long hair falling in her face from the messy ponytail she had it tied into.
 
Kagome grinned slyly, “You'd prefer everyone to be a girl.”
 
Kagura shrugged and said nothing, it was the truth and everyone knew it. The three Blazing Hearts matchmakers sat together on a bench in the park. Little Shippo slept soundly in his blue, lacy, stroller.
 
When Kagome saw him at the orphanage, she fell in love. It took over eleven months, but Kagome and Akitoki finally got their baby. Though, it took quite a long time since the agency was a little skeptical about letting two humans raise a baby demon.
 
“Kagome.”
 
Kagome looked up to see a woman with long hair tied in a low ponytail. Her cold eyes stared into her own. “What do you want?”
 
Kikyo smiled, “Why, to see your baby. Once I heard you and Akitoki adopted, I couldn't wait. I called and he told me where you were.”
 
Kagome smiled back, weakly. Her cousin wasn't going to be happy and Kagome knew it. Kikyo walked closer to the stroller and smiled at Shippo. “Well, hello there, little one.”
 
Kagome swallowed hard. So far, so good. Kikyo seemed to like him. “He's adorable, Kagome. What's his name?”
 
“Um, Shippo.”
 
“Hello, Shippo, you are the sweetest little thing I-“ she cut herself off as big green eyes opened and he opened his mouth to laugh. She backed away quickly. “He has fangs.”
 
Kagome nodded, “Shippo's a fox demon.”
 
Kikyo turned her attention to her cousin, “A fox demon? What on Earth possessed you to take a demon for a son?”
 
“I love him.” Kagome said evenly.
 
Kikyo shook her head, “This is worse than when you almost mated that wolf demon,” she said, though more to herself than to Kagome. Kagome winced at the memory and Kikyo looked her in the eyes. “It's not too late. You were saved from making the mistake of mating the demon, this demon is still young, it won't remember you. Take it back and adopt a human.”
 
Rin and Kagura glared at the woman. Kagome just stared at Kikyo. “I am not going to take him back. He is my son now, Kikyo. And you're just going to have to accept that.”
 
That was the end of that discussion as Kagome stood abruptly and strolled her baby back home with Rin and Kagura right behind her.
 
----
 
“Calm down, baby.” Akitoki said soothingly. “It'll all be okay, I promise.”
 
“But she said-“ she couldn't finish for fresh tears poured from her eyes. Akitoki kissed them away.
 
“I love you, Kagome. And I love Shippo. Nothing will change that. Definitely nothing Kikyo says. And that's all that matters.”
 
She sniffed and smiled. He smiled back. “You're right… I'm being silly. Let's go to bed.”
 
Akitoki grinned slyly at his wife. “Yes, let's.”
 
Kagome giggled as he chased her to the bedroom.
 
----
 
It was three years since then. Now Kagome sat, red eyed and flushed, glaring at her husband.
 
“Kagome, I'm sorry,” he apologized.
 
Her glare stayed fixed on him, “She was my friend. It's bad enough you were unfaithful… you had to do it with Yuka??”
 
“I'm sorry, Kagome, I really am.”
 
“You're sorry. You're sorry! Well, of course, you're sorry! They always are!” she shouted. Hell, was there a sign above her head, flashing in neon letters, `Please, cheat on me!'??
 
She couldn't stand it. For the past year, Akitoki had been sneaking around behind her back with her friend Yuka. And now, across from her with a grim expression stood her husband; her unfaithful, cheating, lying, scumbag of a husband. “Kagome, please calm down.”
 
“No, I will not calm down! You're divorcing me to go to her!”
 
“She's having my baby, Kagome… I love you,” his voice dropped to little over a whisper, “but she's having my baby. You can't give me that…”
 
So that was it. Yuka was more of a woman than she, she could have children, but Kagome couldn't. Yuka was complete and functional while she was incomplete…She shut her eyes tightly. “Fine,” she said through gritted teeth. “Leave me for you whore. But don't you ever come back.”
 
“Kagome,” he stepped closer to her.
 
Kagome backed away, not looking at him anymore. It hurt too much to. “Just go. And don't ever come back. If Shippo and I aren't good enough for you, we don't need you. We'll be just fine on our own.”
 
Nothing more was said as he quietly nodded his head and walked out of the door, his suitcase in hand.
 
“Mama?” asked Shippo, coming into the kitchen.
 
Kagome turned to him, “What is it, Sweetie?”
 
“Where's Daddy going?” he asked, wiping tears from his eyes.
 
Kagome kneeled down in front of him and pulled her son into a hug. “Daddy's going away, Honey. He has another family to take care of.”
 
He pulled back a little to look her in the eyes. “But what about us?”
 
She shook her head, “I don't know…”
 
Shippo looked at his mother and said, “Don't worry, Mama… I'll take care of you.”
 
Kagome smiled at her brave little boy.
 
Shippo was so hurt that day, perhaps more than Kagome was herself. She had lost her husband, but he lost his father. Houjo called for a while and visited, but the calls became fewer and the visits became scarce. Soon, he stopped all contact with his son. They never heard from him again… and Shippo never forgave him for that.
 
She brought herself back to reality and looked back at the large red numbers. 2:30 pm. She had better get on her way. She wiped her eyes and walked out the door.
 
Sorry for the long wait, but it got hectic around here. Anyway, tomorrow I graduate so rock on! Please review.