InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ An Old Friend ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
An Old Friend
 
Darkness shadowed the streets. A few stars specked the night sky, the moon full and shone proudly in all its glory. It reflected off the silver hair of a man standing outside the home of his brother's girlfriend.
 
No, he had no interest in this woman. But he had interest in what she could tell him.
 
--
 
“What's going on, Rin?”
 
Rin blinked. “How'd you find out where I live?”
 
“I asked Eri,” answered the hanyou.
 
Rin stared blankly at the man standing on her porch. She should have known. Eri's big mouth had caused more damage than any homicidal demon bent on the apocalypse. It was only natural she would be the cause of this man outside her door. “Remind me to smack that girl in the head when I see her again,” she sighed and opened the door wider, “Come on in.”
 
“What's wrong with her?” he asked.
 
Rin bit her lip. “I don't know what you're talking about,” she lied.
 
He narrowed his eyes, “Don't lie to me. What's wrong?”
 
“It's… it's complicated.” Was it even her place to tell him?
 
--
 
Inuyasha walked into her living room. The walls were purple and her couch was lime green. The carpet that covered her flooring was a bright blue, the only part that seemed slightly normal to him. Her house was small, she had a tiny kitchen, and the walls were yellow. He moved his neck around and saw her bathroom. The walls were salmon and there were fuzzy pink rugs and fuzzy pink toilet cozy things… what were those things called anyway? He saw one more door, he assumed led to her room. It was shut, but he shuddered to think of what was hidden behind.
 
The entire loudness of her home was a strain on his eyes. But that was just Rin, he guessed. Her home just screamed her name.
 
He shook his head and looked at her. She seemed to have said her peace on his question and turned on her television. She sat beside him on her green couch. Inuyasha took her remote and turned the TV off, placing the remote on her glass table. “Rin,” he said her name sternly and she sighed, but said nothing.
 
“Rin,” he spoke again.
 
She looked at him, “I really can't tell you anything.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“You wouldn't understand.”
 
“Try me.”
 
“It isn't my place… if Kagome wants you to know… she will…” she shook her head. “She'll never want you to know.”
 
Inuyasha took in a deep breathe; an attempt to calm himself down. “Please, I need to know, Rin. Please tell me.”
 
Rin sighed audibly. “Inuyasha…”
 
 
Kagura yawned as she locked the doors of Blazing Hearts. Usually it was Kagome who locked down everything, but she hadn't come back to the agency after she left with Inuyasha. Then Rin took off without an explanation. The demoness could only assume something important must have happened.
 
Momiji and Botan also went home as soon as their shifts were over. That left only her to take care of lock up. Maybe she'd get a bonus in her check for this. Or maybe Kagome would go out with her on an apology date. Yes, she liked the latter one much better. Especially since the prior was highly unlikely.
 
She got into her Mercedes and drove home. The drive was pleasant and traffic was, surprisingly, not bad at all. She parked outside her apartment building.
 
She walked up the stairs to her apartment. She pulled out her key, only to notice something was wrong. The door was open, not by much, but enough to know that someone had been in her apartment… or still was.
 
Slowly, she opened the door wider. Crimson eyes narrowed, elegant brows furrowed and blood colored lips frowned. She walked through the door quietly, stealthy. Her eyes widened in shock for a moment, her lips turned into a scowl as she glared at the intruder. “You,” she spat out in disgust.
 
The demon smirked, “Didn't you miss me, sister?”
 
 
Inuyasha still couldn't believe it. That a man could do that… abandon his wife, his son and lose all contact with them. Inuyasha growled. He had been married to Kagome; didn't he know what he had?? Of course not, he left her.
 
And Kagome… now he knew why she had acted in such a way. Now he knew why she became so miserable at the news of Sango's pregnancy. She could never become pregnant. She could never have a child of her own blood, her own life. Something so powerful, something normal for a woman… and Kagome could never be a part of it.
 
Everything Eri had told him and all of the information he extracted from Rin the night before explained so much to him about this woman. This woman, who has been through so much pain and lived, was still living. Other women have killed themselves for the things she went through and less.
 
There was only one more thing that confused him. Kagome was bitter towards love and rightfully so from what he had heard. But why would she work at Blazing Hearts? Why would she spend her time finding love for other people when love had scorned her so?
 
But there was one more question that kept nagging the back of his mind. Where did that leave him?
 
He told himself that it didn't matter. Kagome would still do her job after she sorted through her problems. But he knew… somewhere he knew that that was not what his problem was. That maybe, he wanted to be with her. That he wanted to heal what so many others have broken.
 
He shook his head. She wouldn't even let him try. There was no way she would.
 
 
Kagome walked into Blazing Hearts, her heart heavy with despair. She was late. She bailed yesterday and today she was late. She was lucky her boss was her grandmother or else she would have been fired for sure.
 
Nothing seemed out of the ordinary when she walked in. Momiji was talking on the phone. Botan was typing something on the computer. Rin walked towards her, “Hey are you okay?”
 
Kagome smiled a bit, “I'll be fine, don't worry.”
 
“Hello, Kagome.”
 
Kagome's eyes widened at the familiar voice. She quickly spun around. Brown met crimson. The man before her was a demon, handsome and devilish. His lips curled into a smirk, his eyes danced as they knew a secret no one else did. His hair was short and styled. His body concealed in a black suit, his blazer open and the two buttons at the top of his shirt were unfastened.
 
Her lips broke into a grin and she launched herself at her dear friend. He caught her with ease as she hugged him tightly; he embraced her with just as much force. “Naraku!”
 
You know, I have a friend much like Eri. She just doesn't know when to shut up and she never really knows where the line is. She gave this guy my address and he showed up on my porch… I was ready to kill her. Anyway, on another note, quite a few of you thought Naraku was her fourth and I had thought about it, but I have other plans for our dear Naraku. Well for those confused, all will be explained in the next chapter. Keep reading. Sorry for the shortness, I planned it longer but I want to end it here. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please review!