InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ An Old Friend (Part II) ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
AN: Sorry this took so long to get up. Sure you're tired of hearing that, but I am.
 
An Old Friend (Part II)
 
“I can't believe it's really you!” shouted the woman excitedly as she put a little space between her and her dear friend.
 
Naraku smiled and shook his head, “How long has it been?”
 
“Not long enough,” quipped the demon matchmaker. Naraku turned to glare at his little sister. Kagome had known Kagura for years, beginning at middle school, they had been friends. But not until their college years did she really get to know the wind sorceress. And not until then did she meet Naraku Takanowa. Kagura's older brother…
 
It was before she had even met Bankotsu…in her freshman year of college.
 
They had all gone to Kagura's house, “It's cheaper to stay home and go to college,” she had explained. Kagome nodded her head. She looked at Rin, who was in awe of the beautiful house. Kagome smiled and looked around. It was such a beautiful house. The wood was a deep mahogany and the curtains were a dark burgundy.
 
Rin and Kagome sat on the black couch while Kagura lounged on the big black chair in front of the large flat screen television, which remained shut off. “I can't believe all this time we've known each other and this is the first time we've been to your house.” Rin spoke.
 
Kagura laughed, “It's not like I've been to your houses either.”
 
“You've been to our dorm,” Rin said.
 
Kagome shook her head, “Where are your parents?”
 
“My parents have been dead for years. My brother owns the house,” she spoke the word `brother' with a large amount of distaste.
 
“You don't get along with him?” Rin asked.
 
“He thinks he's in charge of everything, including me. He's an asshole and I can't stand him.”
 
“Brothers are pains. I'm glad I'm the oldest.” Kagome said, “I'd hate to think of what Souta would be like if I was the youngest.”
 
Kagura smirked, “No worse than Naraku, trust me.”
 
“Don't you have a little sister?” Rin asked.
 
Kagura nodded her head, “She's at her friend's today.”
 
“You guys are lucky.”
 
“Whatever, I'd kill to be an only child.” Kagura scoffed.
 
It was then the door opened. A man walked in, his hair was long and wavy and his eyes the color of blood. She touched her own hair in envy. There was no doubt in Kagome's mind that he was Kagura's big brother. The two looked so much alike. He entered the living room, “Kagura, who are your friends?”
 
“I'm Rin,” spoke Kagome's best friend.
 
He nodded and looked intently at Kagome. Her face heated up and she knew she looked the equivalent of a boiled lobster. “And you?” he asked.
 
“Oh, I'm Kagome.”
 
She laughed at Kagura. Years have passed and the woman still couldn't stand her sibling. Kagome looked back at Naraku. She had such a crush on him back then. After a while she was hanging out with him as well as Kagura. He had helped her through the depressing breakup with Bankotsu.
 
“I don't get it!” she had cried on his shoulder. “Am I not enough to keep a man happy? Not pretty enough? Am I so horrible I turned him to men??”
 
He had held her in his arms. “No, you aren't. You're a beautiful woman; any man would love to be with you…”
 
He was about to kiss her. Kagome knew it, she wasn't ready. She pulled away; she saw the disappointment in his eyes. He quickly covered it up and nodded.
 
She often wondered what would have happened had she let him kiss her. Probably nothing good with her luck. She was on the rebound and he was there. It could have ruined their friendship all together. In the long run, Kagome was happy with the decision she made that day and she was sure Naraku was too.
 
“So, kill anyone while you were gone?” piped up Momiji. Kagura smirked. Naraku just rolled his eyes and sneered at her.
 
Kagome sighed. Not many people understood Naraku. At least not many people Kagome knew. Naraku was paid good money to invent weapons. Weapons that the CIA used, the army used, anyone who could pay for them used. It was true that Kagome wasn't fond of it, but it didn't make him a bad guy and she wouldn't judge him for that. Everyone had their place in the world and his job paid the bills.
 
It had been a whole year since she last saw him. His hair was longer then… she had always been a little jealous that he had better hair than her. His new hairstyle was more professional, but she'd miss his old hair.
 
“Where did you go? All your letters were so vague.” Kagome wondered.
 
“Kagome, where I was isn't important. I'm back now,” he smiled. Kagome smiled back and rolled her eyes. She did want to know where he had been, but she knew that he wasn't going to give her an answer.
 
----
 
Inuyasha went to Blazing Hearts with a mission. Despite what he may or may not have felt, Kagome was unreachable. She had been hurt too much and the emotional baggage she carried would be too much for him to handle. If there was one valuable lesson Kikyo had taught him, it was to spot a lost cause when he saw it.
 
He had tried and failed with Kikyo and had gotten his heart broken in the process. No, he wouldn't go through that pain again. And he knew, that if he let himself fall in love with Kagome, it was bound to end the same way as with her cousin. Or worse… Inuyasha knew he wasn't the smoothest and he lost his temper easily and he said stupid things at the worst possible times…
 
He didn't want to hurt her. She had been hurt before and he didn't know where they would go if he did try to pursue her. He could hurt her in the end. And that was something he didn't want to do. He didn't want the responsibility of her heart. So he would leave it all alone, he would leave their friendship where it was and let her do her job.
 
It was the safest choice… for the both of them.
 
So that was that. His decision was made. He raised his head high and opened the doors. He stopped and blinked. Something wasn't right. Rin was on the phone, Botan and Momiji were typing something on the computers, and Kagura was on top of Kagome's desk. All would appear normal save for the hideous glare Kagura was sending to a man sitting across from Kagome. Was he a new client?
 
He made his way over to the desk. Kagome looked at him and smiled broadly. Her mood certainly had changed. “Hey, Inuyasha!” she stood up and walked around.
 
“Who's he?” asked Inuyasha. Normally he wouldn't have cared, but this was the time Kagome spent on him. And it seemed that Kagura wasn't very fond of this particular man.
 
Kagome looked at the man and smiled again. “He's Kagura's brother, Naraku. And he's an old friend of mine. Naraku, this is Inuyasha.”
 
Naraku nodded and stood from his seat. “Yes, your client,” he spoke, placing a hand on his chin. He seemed to size Inuyasha up.
 
Before the hanyou could open his mouth to yell, Kagome had said, “I think I've found you another match.”
 
He turned his head to her, “Yeah? Who?”
 
“Naraku was telling me all about her. She's beautiful, strong, and intelligent; she's a demoness and interesting in mating. I'll go with you to meet her, of course. But she sounds too good to pass up.”
 
Inuyasha nodded his head, “Yeah, but who is she?”
 
“Her name is Abi Yokoshima. She's my partner. When Kagome told me about you, I had remembered that she is also looking for a relationship,” Naraku answered.
 
Inuyasha looked at him. He wasn't so sure he was willing to trust this man; he had an air around him that reminded Inuyasha slightly of Sesshomaru… an air of false superiority. He didn't like this Naraku.
 
He looked at Kagome. He'd go to meet Abi. Kagome was right; it would be stupid to pass her up. Especially after Inuyasha decided not to let himself fall for the little matchmaker beside him, “All right.”
 
“Great!” she shouted, happily. She looked at Naraku, “Tomorrow send Abi to Yosho's Café at three, that's where Inuyasha and I will be. It's a nice place to casually meet a possible someone special. Remember to call me and tell me what she's wearing.”
 
Naraku nodded at Kagome's instructions and left, but not before smirking at Kagura, Inuyasha noticed. Kagura scowled.
 
His attention was turned back to Kagome as she said, “Well, this might be our lucky break! Go home and be here at two tomorrow.”
 
--
 
Inuyasha nodded his head, “Okay.”
 
Kagome sighed as he left and with him so did her smile go. This was for the best she assured herself. Tomorrow he would meet Ms. Abi Yokoshima and fall in love. Then he wouldn't need her anymore and wouldn't see her ever again after he invited her to his wedding. And then he'd forget all about her as he moved on to a happy life with children and a white picket fence…
 
She bit her lip and returned to her desk. Kagura ran her fingers through Kagome's hair as she sat down. “You shouldn't be so friendly with that ass.”
 
Kagome laughed as Kagura went into a rant.
 
So sorry for the long wait I really am. You all probably know Naraku's part now. I admit it, I am a Naraku fan. Because he was never human and never in love with Kikyo, his personality may seem a little off. I am trying hard to keep him as in character as possible, but this is an AU so it's all different circumstances. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. I had tried to make this chapter longer, but it just wasn't working… so sorry again. Please review.