InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Blazing Hearts ❯ You’re in Love! ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Blazing Hearts
 
Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Inuyasha or company; I merely toy with them for my own twisted amusement.
 
AN: Haven't been updating, I know. But it's from a number of things, writer's block and people continually keeping me from the computer. I also found myself reading a story I couldn't pull myself away from. Here's chapter twenty.
 
You're in Love!
 
“Using me, I see,” said the woman sitting at the table in her apartment. Across from her sat her handsome partner.
 
The man smirked, “Does it really matter, Abi? You did say that you needed to find a mate.”
 
The demoness pushed her hair back, “That didn't mean I wanted you to go find me some man just to weasel your way into some woman's heart.”
 
“What should it matter?” he took a sip of his coffee. “If you don't like him, you never need to see him again.”
 
Abi sighed, “What's his name again?”
 
“Inuyasha Takahashi.”
 
“Fine, but this is the last time I let you use me, Naraku.”
 
“It's the first time, Abi.”
 
She lit up a cigarette, “Exactly.”
 
----
 
“Yes, great, thanks,” with those words she snapped her cell phone shut. Kagome looked at Inuyasha, with a grin on her face, “It's set. She'll be here shortly.”
 
Inuyasha nodded. The two sat on the stools at the bar of the café. Kagome drank her mocha latte and Inuyasha kept his hands around his plain, black coffee. The warm heat seeped through the white cup. He looked at his friend; she seemed happy today and rather excited over this new could-be match.
 
He felt his resolve fall. He wasn't sure he even wanted to meet this woman. Maybe he should just forget about Blazing Hearts and go to another agency. Or maybe he should just switch to another matchmaker. Maybe he should just stop and go out on his own. Or… maybe he could find a way to make it work with Kagome?
 
No. His brows furrowed. He would meet Abi and he would make it work between them. And he would forget all about Kagome Higurashi. It would be best if he never spoke to her again after this one date. He just… couldn't. He wouldn't be able to take it.
 
“There she is!” Kagome whispered excitedly. He followed her gaze and saw her. She certainly was attractive. She had long black hair and dark red eyes. Her lips painted a cherry color and she was dressed in a black pantsuit with heels.
 
He stood up and casually walked over to her. “Inuyasha Takahashi,” she said once she saw him. Inuyasha blinked, wasn't this supposed to be a chance meeting? Apparently his surprise showed on his face because she answered his unasked question. “Naraku cannot hide things from me.”
 
“Oh,” Inuyasha spoke, before he could say another word though, Abi spoke again.
 
“I'll have a double espresso and a coffee cake,” she told the cashier. She looked at Inuyasha, “Really I wish my partner had set a decent time for us to meet, but I'm very busy right now,” she pulled out a card, “so here. This is my number, call me and we'll set up a date.”
 
“Here you go, ma'am,” said the cashier. Abi paid the man, took her espresso and her coffee cake and smiled at Inuyasha before taking her leave. Inuyasha brought his hand to his head before looking at the card. That was—by far—the strangest first meeting he'd ever had. He pocketed the card and turned around.
 
Kagome was still sitting there, she was sporting a half smile and her eyes seemed slightly distant. He wondered what was going on in that mind of hers.
 
----
 
“What?” Kagome's eyes were wide with shock. “No way!” she exclaimed in the middle of her living room at the man standing before her. And at his outrageous question, he had actually expected her to go with him to sit in on Inuyasha's date! She wouldn't do that, she got him the date and that meant her part was done. It wasn't her place to butt in too much.
 
“Now, Kagome, I explained this. Abi isn't comfortable going alone with Mr. Takahashi,” Naraku told her calmly.
 
Kagome raised an eyebrow, “I find that hard to believe,” she said in a doubtful voice. She'd seen that woman. She doubted that woman feared anything with the way she spoke. Professional and impersonal…Kagome was mildly impressed with the woman but there was also a certain coldness around her. Kagome didn't like it. But then again… lately Kagome didn't like anything that had to do with Inuyasha finding someone.
 
In fact the very thought of Inuyasha holding a woman in his arms nearly brought her blood to a boil. No. This was why she couldn't go. This was why she had to hurry up… she was afraid she might be too late… she might end up ruining the night for him out of her own jealousy.
 
“Please, Kagome,” Naraku said with a charming—almost devious—smile. “Abi asked me to join her; I don't wish to make things awkward for your client. Come with me.”
 
Kagome wasn't sure if it was Naraku's persistence or her own desire to keep an eye on Inuyasha and Abi that caused her to agree. But she did. And now she had a date with Naraku.
 
His smile still in place, he nodded. “Good, now I must be off. I will pick you up at seven and we will meet Abi and Mr. Takahashi there.”
 
That said, he exited her home and Kagome decided to call Rin.
 
It was a quarter to six when Rin had shown up. And when she did, the first thing that came out of her mouth was, “You're going on a date with Naraku??”
 
“Technically, yes. I told you, it's a double date. Apparently his friend isn't okay with going out with Inuyasha alone yet.”
 
“Are you sure it's a good idea to sit in on Inuyasha's date?”
 
“What am I supposed to do? It's either go with them or let Naraku play chaperon.”
 
Her friend had laughed at that. “You know, Kagura won't like this,” she warned her.
 
Kagome nodded, “I know she won't. But Naraku and I are friends and all we're doing is making sure Abi is comfortable.”
 
Rin sighed, “Okay. You're the master,” she looked around. “Where's my buddy?”
 
“He's in his room playing his games,” Kagome told her.
 
Rin nodded and then looked Kagome up and down. She was wearing a tight purple tank top and a faded jean mini skirt. On her wrists there were silver bangles, her ears sported large hoops and she wore white tennis shoes. Her hair was pulled back by a purple wrap-around headband and clear lip-gloss graced her lips. “Where are you guys going anyway?”
 
“To a movie,” Kagome answered.
 
“What are you going to see?” Rin asked.
 
“I don't know, Inuyasha will want to see a samurai movie, but he'll settle for any horror really.”
 
“Shouldn't surprise me,” Rin said aloud.
 
“Huh?”
 
“That you know what movies he likes. It shouldn't surprise me; you two were spending a lot of time together.”
 
“I spend time with all of my clients,” Kagome defended herself.
Rin said nothing more as she nodded her head. Kagome raised a brow as she wondered what thoughts were going on in her friend's mind.
 
----
 
“Kagome?” asked Inuyasha incredulously. Kagome walked out of the car towards him and Abi. What was going on?
 
She waved at him as she came closer. She was smiling and he could feel something inside of him rise. He then saw the man walking beside her… Naraku. Even when at a movie theatre, the man was still dressed in a suit. He immediately felt something replace his original feeling.
 
“What's going on?” he asked.
 
“Abi wanted some company on this first date,” Naraku supplied.
 
Inuyasha took a look at his date. She looked pretty in a black skirt and red peasant top, but she didn't look like she cared much about company. “I figured it'd be better if it were a double date,” she told him in a careless voice.
 
He nodded his head, “Okay.”
 
--
 
Kagome could feel the tension. Even in the theatre. She sat down with Naraku and Inuyasha sat down next her.
 
The movie began, but Kagome couldn't pay attention to it. Naraku put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer to him. In all her time of knowing him, she only thought about dating him once. And that was when Bankotsu left her…
 
Now here she was… and here he was…
 
They were watching a movie, his arm around her, looking as handsome as ever and she… just wasn't comfortable. It didn't make sense. She loved Naraku, but she loved him like she loved Rin and Kagura… maybe one day it could evolve into something more. She tried imagining being with a man like him. Somewhat predictable, very reliable, she knew him well… he'd be a safe choice wouldn't he? No… still something was wrong.
 
She looked at Inuyasha through the corner of her eye. He had quickly averted his own gaze. He had been watching her; she didn't want to think about why she even cared. The last person she wanted to be involved with was Inuyasha. Unpredictable, temperamental… but he was the one she was in love with. Oh, why couldn't Naraku have come back to Tokyo before she had met him?
 
Could she truly say that she didn't want to be with anyone? She was lonely and Shippo needed a father figure in his life… could Naraku be that man? He was definitely a safer choice then Inuyasha…
 
--
 
She was letting him hold her! Inuyasha quickly averted his gaze when he thought she saw him. He didn't want to know why he even cared. He tried paying attention to the movie; he even tried paying attention to Abi. But he quickly gave up on her.
 
In the few conversations he'd held with her, he'd felt that she really didn't care about this date. She was distant and somewhat cold, the only thing he could actually get her to talk about with enthusiasm was her job with Naraku… inventing weapons for the army—she probably even sold them to terrorists. He couldn't click with her and he couldn't watch the movie with Naraku's hand on Kagome!
 
----
 
“It was a disaster; Abi and Inuyasha are not meant for each other. I couldn't sense anything between them and he spent the rest of the night glaring at Naraku! I thought I was going to suffocate from the tension,” Kagome explained.
 
“So Naraku's date was a bust,” Rin commented. “It doesn't surprise me.”
 
“What do you mean?” Kagome asked.
 
Rin groaned. They had been talking about this date for little over fifteen minutes and if she couldn't figure it out, Rin knew it was up to her. And now, Kagome was thinking about making a relationship with Naraku because Shippo needed a father and she felt he was a safe choice?? She was rapidly losing her patience. “You are an idiot, Kagome!” she exclaimed, thankful that Shippo was a heavy sleeper. Kagome blinked, but before she could say anything Rin interrupted her. “How could you think Inuyasha would be happy with anyone when it's so damn obvious he's already hung up on you??”
 
“What are you-“
 
“Shut up! I'm sorry but- no, I'm not sorry. You need to hear this! I know you've been hurt, I know better than anyone about that, but it's time you get over it! You have a real chance to be happy and you know you're in love with him-“
 
“No-“
 
“Yes, you are. We've been best friends since we were kids; I think I'd know when you're in love. I know you're scared of being hurt, but choosing to be with Naraku is just stupid! You can't be happy with someone just because it's safe and you can't give up your chance for happiness just because you don't want to go through the pain again! He could be your last chance, Kagome. He loves you.”
 
Kagome shook her head, “Then why wouldn't he tell me?”
 
“Are you kidding me, Kagome? Look at his brother. If I waited to hear him say that he loves me, we wouldn't get anywhere. Some men have trouble saying how they feel… and right now I doubt he'd try anything.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Remember his date with Eri? She told him about Kouga and Bankotsu… then after your breakdown, he came to see me and I told him about Akitoki.”
 
“You what?? How could you-”
 
“Kagome, he needed to know. The point is that your happiness and his are in your hands!” Rin took a deep breath and calmed herself, “You deserve it and so does he. But right now, he doesn't know what to do. It's up to you; Kagome… you both built a relationship while you've known each other. And only you can take it anywhere. Don't lose it, Kagome… he's not like them.”
 
Sorry again for the wait, everyone. But people don't like to cooperate with me. Well, hope you liked the chapter. Please review.