InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Fear Me ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Okay, I am still not in much of a talking mood (which is good news for you guys I guess) but I am definitely in a better mood than I was yesterday (probably cause last night I got something close to eight hours of sleep (a new record for me!) and I had something to eat this morning. Albeit, it wasn’t a very healthy something, but it was a something nonetheless).

-InuKagome4 - Lol, I’m glad you like the story that much-- I look forward to hearing from you again!

DISCLAIMER: I do not own Inuyasha or any of the characters from the manga\tv show and make no money off of them so please do not sue me! They belong to the wonderful Rumiko Takahashi.   ~*~   Fear me

Inuyasha shifted in his uneasy sleep.

All around him in his mind were sights and sounds he did not know... but that clearly belonged to him.

Kikyo, standing above him with her bow poised, an arrow already fired into his chest, her eyes filled with rage and betrayal. ‘Die, Inuyasha!’ She called, before releasing the arrow toward him.

A girl... he was chasing her, trying to kill her... she had something he wanted. Beads flying through the air, landing around his neck, glowing with enchantment. He struggles but is un able to remove them.

A tall youkai with silver hair and yellow eyes, a moon in the centre of his forehead, looking at him with disdain before plunging his sharp clawed hand forward, into his eye.

A monk is falling down, blown back by the force of his own attack, and weakened by his injuries. Inuyasha’s hand plunges forward, grabbing his hand, and he hears himself shout ‘Dammit! You try to use that wind-tunnel again and I’ll tear your stupid arm off!’ Hundreds of demons rush towards him, and he can faintly hear a voice, his voice saying something. He raises a sword lying on the ground and feels the power pulsing through it. He swings it down and can see it has transformed, can see... nothing. A flash of white, and the next thing he sees is the sword glowing gold, all the demons around him gone.

Blackness, his own voice thinking “Even if it is luck, if I can unlock the Tetsusaiga’s true power again, I know I can beat Naraku. I vow I will master this sword. The Tetsusaiga is mine!”

His brow creases in confusion as the image changes, and there is the girl again, pulling herself out of the well. A voice near him, and he tries to turn, to see the owner, but he cannot. “What are your doing here? I told you never to return!” And then the girl is running toward him again, and... blackness begins to press in, making the image fade further and further away. He tries to go toward it, to pull it back, but it is too late.

With a gasp, Inuyasha’s eyes fly open, and he lies still for a moment, just breathing and shaking, trying to figure out what all this means.

He looks up and his eyes catch the sight of one of those strange demons soaring around above him.

He stares at it for a moment, tense, but it seems only interested in soaring in circles above him as though... guarding him.

Inuyasha glares at the thing for a moment, before slowly sitting up, bringing his hands to his face and rubbing repeatedly.

Dammit, why couldn’t he remember?

It was all coming back to him, but it was coming so slowly, in fragments, like pieces of a puzzle that have been torn in little pieces that must be put back together first before the puzzle can even begin to be made.

He sighs and looks up, cries out in surprise and scrambles backward until he is pushed against the wall as he notices the woman-- Kikyo-- standing in front of him.

She smiles warmly and sits down next to him, the demon circling lower, closer to the priestess.

‘You’re awake.’ She says softly, leaning forward and stroking the skin on his cheek. He shuddered at the feeling -- as though his very blood had been frozen -- and pulled away.

Kikyo looked... angry? Sad?

Inuyasha couldn’t tell.

The priestess dropped her hand to her lap and sighed deeply, staring out the window for a moment, before turning her eyes back to him.

‘I understand why you fear me, Inuyasha.’ She said quietly, and Inuyasha stared up at her in confusion.

‘You do not remember... when you saw me in the forest, past the spirit shield, saw what I had become for the first time. You were not repulsed by me, but you were uncertain. It is only natural that your fear has developed now that you do not remember me.’

Inuyasha stared at the woman before him, and felt a pang of regret. She seemed sad enough already, but now he had done something, made it worse. He did not know who or what she was, but he did know that she had never hurt him.

Naraku had hurt him every day, but she... she had shown him nothing but peace and the promise that he would remember.

Inuyasha opened his mouth slightly, thinking maybe to speak, but he didn’t. For one, he had not been told to speak, he had not been given permission, and while this woman had never hurt him, weeks on end of being tortured mercilessly for speaking without permission had taught him that his voice had consequences, and his words could be the very thing to end his life. For another, his throat was so sore, so misused at first because of his screaming, and then so unused for so long, that it barely worked right at all. It was dry and he did not think he could make it work even if he wanted to.

So he remained silent, staring at the woman, and aptly trying to figure out why she seemed so familiar to him.

“You would not hate me if I used these hands to steal the life from you?”

Inuyasha’s eyes narrowed slightly as the voice resounded in his head. It was deep, but clearly a woman’s and... so familiar... but it couldn’t be her...

He looked up at the priestess in confusion, and she stared back at him, her brow creasing with concern.

‘What is it, Inuyasha?’ She asked quietly.

But Inuyasha couldn’t answer.

His mind was hurtling toward another memory, and he could not break away, could not pull back into the now and free himself from this.

He was standing in a clearing, and Kikyo was standing there too... leaning against him... embracing him. And his arms were around her, his head near her shoulder, and his heart filled with so many emotions-- regret, remorse... uncertainty.

“I can’t save you.” He said slowly, quietly, his voice full of pain, and he felt her tense in his arms slightly. “I can’t do anything to help you... except stay like this.” He felt Kikyo shift slightly, press closer to him. “If only time could stand still.”

“Would you agree to that? If I stopped time, would you stay with me forever?”

Inuyasha felt his heart skip a beat as the uncertainty grew, but, to his confusion, he pushed it away. Mumbling “Yes.” Instead.

Inuyasha’s vision flickered, and then returned and there was Kikyo, staring at him in confusion and concern, leaning toward him across the futon.

“Remember the feel of my lips against yours, for it was real.” Her voice echoed in his head, and then disappeared completely, leaving the two of them.

‘Inuyasha?’ Kikyo’s voice reached him, her real voice, bringing him back down to earth.

He stared at her as his vision started to blur and he blinked in confusion as the tears began to slide down his cheeks. He didn’t understand. He didn’t understand any of it.

Who was this woman? What did she want with him? Why did he always feel so remorseful, yet so... angry and uncertain around her?

Kikyo reached her hand forward to wipe away the tears that coursed down his cheeks, but he pulled violently away, shrinking back against the wall and shaking violently, his hackles raising slightly of their own accord.

The Miko blinked in surprise, the pulled her hand back quickly. ‘Inuyasha--’ she started, but Inuyasha turned his ears back, not wanting to hear her, and she sighed, defeated. ‘I will leave you alone for a

while-- rest. You need to regain you’re strength.’

He heard her get up and leave, shutting the door behind her, but he did not look up.

Instead he began to sob, shoulders heaving violently as his mind raced in confusion and he inwardly screamed at it to shut up, for once wishing that the walls would just return.

Above him, the faint melancholy sound of the youkai reached his ears as the demon continued to soar around above him.

END ~*~  

A\N: Nani? Don’t tell me you’re done already? Maybe you should go back and re-read the chapter just to make sure...

Also, to those people who like AMV’s, this one’s pretty cool I think-- It plays to “lies” by Evanescence (of course) and I think it’s kinda cool.

http://video.freevideoblog.com/player.aspx?fileid=5A46FDB5-6B2F-4F F2-95EB-9E4EC6AE0FD2&pl=wm