InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Don't Give Up ( Chapter 31 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Well this is just a short little chapter (and a bit of a teaser). A bit more Miroku and Sango in this chapter, but I should be getting back to Inuyasha and Kagome soon enough. Can’t say when though, but it looks like Amaya’s got a busy future ahead of her.

Also, I was thinking back on some of the older episodes the other day, and I realised, it cannot be healthy to be the father of a half-demon. Let’s think about it-- Jineji, Shiori, and Inuyasha all had demon fathers, and all of them died-- Inuyasha and Shiori’s a seemingly tragic death protecting their child and “mate”. What I want to know is why very few of the half-demons seem to have demon mothers. They also all seem to have long silverish hair and, for Shiori and Inuyasha’s father, is kept tied back in a ponytail and seem to look more human than most of the other demons we see. Just some of the observations I’ve been making lately. ^_^

Okay, well I’ve ranted on long enough about things nobody gives a damn about, so now it’s time to answer the reviews ^_^:

laa_girl - Lol, well I’m glad you liked my comment. I can’t say much about it since I don’t remember what I said (really need to have that checked out) and I’m feeling a little ADD at the moment, but still, it’s nice to know my seemingly psychotic rambles aren’t scaring you off. ^_^ -- Lol, I like Kouga a lot too, and Sess is definitely one of my all time fav characters. I don’t know where I’m going to fit them in though, especially since I already declared Kouga as not being dead... 0.o But I think Sesshomaru should be turning up fairly soon... ^_^

-InuKagome4 - Lol, thanx! ^_^ Even if “sweet” isn’t generally a style I like to work with... Give me angst any day. ^_^

-HigherBeing - Arigato! ^_^ I’m not entirely sure what you just said, but it sounded like a compliment, so... ^_^ Lol, seriously though, I don’t actually know about my “descriptive mentality” but if you say it’s there, then I’ll take your word on it. Well, I mean, I know the mentality is there, but I didn’t know it was descriptive! ^_^

Okay, I think I rambled on long enough... Guess that means it’s time for the story... ^_^

DISCLAIMERS - Well, the medication wore off for a little while in which time I thought I owned Inuyasha and the other characters, but then the nice doctors came in and gave me my shot and the moment passed.   ~*~   Don’t Give Up

Miroku shivered slightly under her hand, then held mostly still.

Amaya stared down at him grimly, then stood up, moving over to the small table she had conjured so she could treat the monk’s wounds.

‘How is he?’ Sango asked, having just woken up from the sleep Amaya had placed upon her.

‘He is getting better.’ Amaya said. ‘But he is still far from beating it. He has a strong spirit though, stronger than most humans.’ She stared keenly at the slayer. ‘I wonder what he has been through to make him so resilient. It must have been a great ordeal for him to even have the will to survive with the curse on normal circumstances let alone when it is killing him the way it was.’

Sango stared at the monk, her eyes wide and sad. ‘He said that he saw his own father get sucked into his wind tunnel when he was just a child. And his grandfather had done that before. And he tries to hide it, but I know he is afraid that one day, before we kill Naraku, the same will happen to him.’

Amaya’s eyes narrowed slightly as she stared coolly down at the slayer. ‘So you still entertain fantasies of defeating Naraku, do you?’ She asked, and Sango frowned, still staring at Miroku with some kind of admiration and... love.

‘Of course I do. He killed my father and my entire village using other demons and my brother. He set me against Inuyasha. Twice. Making me believe that he had slaughtered my village, and then forcing me to steal Tetsusaiga in return for Kohaku’s life.’

Amaya froze slightly. ‘Kohaku.’ She said quietly. ‘He was your brother?’ Sango nodded. ‘He was. Before Naraku killed him and put the jewel shard in his back. Now he’s a slave of Naraku’s. I want to free him, but... well... if I did that, I would have to remove the shard, and that would mean ending his life.’ She sighed and shook her head. ‘It’s hopeless, I know, but I can’t just give up...’

‘No you can’t.’ Amaya said, the hint of anger in her voice drawing Sango’s eyes up to her. ‘And it is not hopeless.’ She said, staring at Sango for a minute, before turning and heading up the stairs.

‘Wait, where are you going?!’ Sango called after her, but Amaya didn’t even pause to look back.

The sound of the dungeon door slamming shut and the click of the lock were the last things Sango heard before she was again plunged into the silent darkness that always filled the dungeon.

She sighed and leaned against the bars again, staring into the cell across from her, thankful that Amaya had been kind enough to leave a small light so she could see Miroku’s face.

‘Oh Houshi.’ She thought, tears filling her eyes before she could stop them. ‘You’ve fought so hard already. Don’t give up on me now.’ She willed the monk to hear her, but she doubted he did.

‘If He ever recovers’ She thought with more resolve ‘I will bear his child. If he asks me...’ She glared firmly over at the monk, knowing that Miroku would only ask her if he truly wanted to be with her forever-- he had never asked her without seriousness before (except the one time she became indignant that he hadn’t) and she knew that he wouldn’t change after this.

‘Please don’t give up Houshi.’ She thought, the tears overflowing as her resolve hardened. ‘I love you.’

Miroku, of course, did not respond, but, for the first time in a long time, he went completely still, no shivers wracking his body, the only movement his rising and falling chest as he seemed to fall into a, finally, peaceful slumber. ~*~

A/N: A bit of an angsty WAFF in there. Yeesh. Never thought I’d be writing stuff like this. ^_^

Oh, and yes, I know that Sango already did agree to bear his child in the series, but lets just pretend that she didn’t for a moment here, okay? ^_^