InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Chained ❯ Everything ( Chapter 45 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A\N: Konbanwa everyone! (Or Ohayo, depending on where you live ^_~) -- Sorry for the late update, but this time it’s not my fault. I’ve been trying to update this thing for more than two days, but the computer and the site seem to be conspiring together against me and I haven’t been very successful.

Anyways, for curiosity's sake, cause I can’t remember, did I already do reactions to Inuyasha and Kohaku being with Sesshomaru?

Well, doesn’t matter, cause I’m doing them again. ^_^

-candace - Yep that’s how you spell Amaya. ^_^ -- So basically you think that Naraku should try and lure Inuyasha back, and Inuyasha should go into full demon-berserker mode and kill him, and then, somewhere during all this, Amaya should get killed? Huh, interesting. I have actually thought of those things before, but still, the more a reviewer brings them to light, the more tempting they appear. ^_^ -- Still, I don’t know if I’ll kill her. Hard to say at this point in the story, since she’s become such a vital Char. ^_^

-Punishment of the Inu/Tryst - Lol, well I’m glad my stories give you kicks and inspiration. Mshutts? Yeah, a couple of people have mentioned her(?) to me before. I was thinking about checking out her story one of these days, but I’ve just been too busy so far. Still, it’s supposed to be really good seeing as people keep recommening it.. ^_^ -- Unplanned... Well, I’ll definitely have to check it out sometime to be sure! ^_^ Which character in that fic does she remind you of? -- Lol, I really don’t know if I’ll have Inu Taisho revived or anything like that. I imagine that Midoriko could be revived, but then that would steal her soul back from the jewel wouldn’t it? And that in turn would release the demon inside. Oh the problems they would have then! ^_~

-pokiepal - Yep, every once in a while everyone’s gotta take it easy. ^_^ -- I quite personally am undecided if Inu and Sess should have gotten along in the series. I love the characters they are there, and I don’t know if I could really actually see them getting along... but you never know, maybe. ^_^

Well that’s about all I have to say... Oh, and Happy April Fools Day Everyone!   ~*~   Everything

Amaya sighed as she waited for the ningen girl to start screaming at her.

She had just been to see Sango and Miroku (who appeared to be doing much, much better) and had now come down to see Kagome, who (with a little aide from Amaya) was also getting a little stronger (though, if she were to lift her shirt even a little ways, Amaya was certain there would still be ribs poking sharply against the flesh and threatening to burst out with every movement of muscle under skin). Kagome knew that Inuyasha was with his brother now, but she seemed less than pleased at the idea.

Sango had been surprisingly understanding about the situation, though the strange little kitsune called Shippo had revealed to her that Sango really didn’t know all that much about Sesshomaru other than he had frequently tried to kill Inuyasha.

But now, instead of meeting a full on explosion about all she had learned of Inuyasha and Sesshomaru’s comings and goings, Kagome was just looking up at her with deep, thoughtful eyes, the depths of which could not be seen by another’s eyes alone. She would have to go inside Kagome’s mind if she wished to truly understand exactly what the girl was thinking about, how she felt about this, and the thought was a little less than appealing to her.

She had been in and out of people’s minds for the past month or so, and it was really beginning to take it’s toll on her. Despite her powers, she still was only a ningen, and could in no way compare to the youkais abilities to go without sleep and rest.

She had a feeling that, should she bother to look into a mirror about now, she would not be able to recognise her own face. She might not look to terribly different, physically, but, when a person’s mind is significantly changed, the way that they view the world irreversibly altered, it showed clearly in their eyes-- all one had to do was look. And Amaya’s view on the world had definitely been altered. Again. And she was beginning to get tired of it. Though in this case it was altered by unwitting choice, whereas the other time there had been none.

The humans, especially Kagome, had altered her somehow, and she was finding that she was beginning to care again. This plan was no longer some amusing way to pass the time, nor to free herself. She cared about what happened to the ningens, whether Inuyasha (who had grown upon her before she could even begin to try and stop him) would be alright with his brother-- if he would, in the end, try and kill him again. Kohaku... well, she didn’t care so much about him, but, because he was Sango’s brother, she felt the need to be certain the little brat was kept safe from harm.

The thought that the humans were so far under her skin-- though she had had it before-- still felt like a rather startling revelation-- and not one she was entirely happy with. But she wasn’t entirely unhappy with it either. And that realisation was even more startling than the first one.

She shook her head, and focused in on the words pouring from Kagome’s mouth that she had yet to hear any of.

‘...better him then Kikyo.’ Kagome said, as though finishing a sentence, though what she had said before was lost on Amaya as the brown-eyed girl turned toward her, eyes curious ‘do you think Sesshomaru will hurt Inuyasha? That he’ll protect him?’

Amaya’s brow furrowed. ‘Have you lost all common sense in your time down here, or do you simply take a great joy in disregarding everything I say and pelting me with foolish questions?’ The sorceress asked. ‘I have already told you a myriad of times that Sesshomaru will not kill the boy or your hanyou. He has taken them under his care, and a youkai such as that would have enough honour to not try and kill those who sought him out for protection. And as to your other question, I think Sesshomaru is more than able to protect his brother and that little ningen child. He is a powerful demon-- more powerful than Naraku by far. I doubt that even the priestess’s powers would be enough to make him falter. Now if that is the only questions you have for me, I would ask you to refrain from speaking. Your voice is distracting and giving me a headache with it’s pointless bantering.’

Kagome stared at her and then smiled suddenly, and Amaya eyed her suspiciously. ‘Something amuses you?’ She asked dryly, not liking that look on the girl at all.

Kagome shook her head. ‘No. I’m just... glad. Glad that you’re helping us. It means everything to me Amaya.’ She said. And she meant it literally. Without Amaya none of this would be possible-- Inuyasha would still be in Kikyo’s care (not that Kagome would know that, because Amaya was the one who told her) Miroku would probably be dead, and Sango would never know if Kohaku was alive still or not.

And those people, and then the ones she left back in her own time, meant everything to her. They were her life, her heart and her soul. Without them, there simply was no point in living, and she probably would have died or killed herself long ago-- tearing gashes into her wrists with her teeth if she had to.

And she knew that, whether the sorceress liked it or not, they had convinced her, made her care about them. And she would not abandon them now.

Not when everything they wanted, had worked so hard to get, was so nearly in their grasp.

‘It’s going to happen soon.’ Kagome said. Not a question, but Amaya cocked an eyebrow and stared at her anyway. ‘Are you talking to me, or to yourself. Because if you wish to speak to yourself, I’ll gladly leave so that you can carry on the conversation in privacy.’

Kagome looked up at her, unphased by her comments. ‘The battle. The final battle. It’s going to happen soon.’

Amaya stared at her, as though contemplating this fact, then nodded her head. ‘Hai. Soon we will battle.’

Kagome stared at her questioningly, but still in a strangely quiet way, her voice strangely accepting, hollow, in a way eerily mirroring that of Kanna’s. ‘How will you know when?’ She asked, as though it really didn’t matter, but morbid curiosity had forced her into speaking.

The sorceress stared at her for a moment, then said ‘when the preparations are complete. When you-- all of you-- are ready.’

Kagome stared at her, then nodded. ‘I am ready.’ She said, and Amaya looked into her eyes and knew that, even if her body was still so physically deprived, the girl was not lying. Still she shook her head. ‘Not until your body is ready are you ready.’ Though being ready in body was far more trivial than being ready in mind. ‘And even if you are-- even if all your ningen friends are-- Inuyasha is not. He still needs more time--a week at least I’d say. And when he is ready...’ She trailed off, eyes going slightly distant like Kagome’s, becoming slightly hollow and empty as well, suiting the mood that had taken over the entire room.

‘Then we shall go for battle.’ Kagome finished for her, and Amaya looked at her, blank for a moment, before her eyes flickered back to life, hardened in grim determination. ‘Then we shall go for everything.’ She corrected, her voice low but still managing to slice through the atmosphere like a blade, and the two stared silently at each other as the full truth of their words began to really sink in.

They were going to battle with the most malicious and evil creature to ever walk the earth. It was very possible that none of them would make it out alive-- and those that did, when the smoke finally cleared, if they had not defeated Naraku.... those that made it out alive would wish they had not.

It was a grim truth, but a truth nonetheless, and nothing was a better motivation than the truth.

In this case, the truth was all that gave them the mindset to fully understand what they were risking, and what failure meant.

In this case, the truth meant everything.

And everyone. ~*~  

A/N: Too tired to do a glossary. If you have a question about a word or something, then just review/email me about it. ^_^

~Avarwen~