InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Part 3 - Mad World 2 (Kind of Funny, Kind of Sad) ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Choices - by Foxfire79
 
Disclaimer: I know you've all heard this at least three other times, and innumerably from other folk's fanfics, but yeah, here's the big news: I… do not own InuYasha and all affiliated InuYasha characters etc. I know it's a big shock. Rumiko Takahashi owns them. Doesn't stop me from wishing I owned them… (goes off in a huff). Any-hoo, I also don't own any of the other pop culture references I may or may not use. If I did… you should know the drill by now - rich me!
 
Other stuff I'd still like to own at some point:
An Irish Setter
Chinese Fighting Fish (named InuYasha - my friend Jec has one!)
Those sneakers that have wheels in the heels… you know the ones…
 
Please!!!??? I promise my writing will improve, the storyline won't have as many gaps, and there won't be too many disturbing character personality changes… Awww, who am I kidding!? On with the madness!
 
 
 
Part 3 - Mad World 2 (Kind of Funny, Kind of Sad)
 
The ghostly figure of the priestess Kikyo watched over the sobbing girl on the floor. The unseen InuYasha lurked in the doorway, not truly understanding what he was seeing.
 
“Why is Kikyo here?” As always, whenever the dead woman appeared, his emotions started running wild. Right now, seeing his first love trying to comfort Kagome instead of trying to kill her, was disturbing to say the least. The fact that she looked almost as upset as Kagome did was another point of difference. Kikyo had always seemed so calm and collected. Now, as he saw her slightly flustered by the living girl's plight, he realized something else.
 
“Kagome's made her more human… just like she did with me…” But that still doesn't explain why Kikyo's here! He really couldn't figure it out. If Kagome hadn't come down the well, why were the same dangers occurring over here? Kagome's sobs seemed to be subsiding, and she started to stand, then clutched her stomach and swooned against the sink.
 
Kagome!
“Kagome!” InuYasha and Kikyo called in unison.
 
“I'm fine Kikyo, really. It's just that normal muscle twinge I get, you know?” Kagome grimaced, and rubbed her left side. Kikyo seemed to look through the material of the uniform, and through her skin, to see what the problem was. She smiled softly to herself.
 
That's not a muscle pain, Kagome. That is the Sacred Jewel, yearning to be free of your body. I knew it would appear at some point, but I didn't realize it would be inside you. I honestly thought you would awake one morning, clutching it in your hands much as I held it when I died. I guess I brought this about by my own stupidity. Forgive me, little sister.
 
Kagome grinned at the ghostly girl.
 
“Hey, don't worry about it. It's not your fault, ok? Besides, it's probably been inside me for years, and it's only just surfaced because of all the training I've been doing. It's really been working my muscles. Plus, this morning, before I had to face Mr Okunara, I think the jewel took my nervousness away. Pretty nifty, huh?” Kikyo smiled at the girl, then nodded.
 
Yes, the jewel would have helped you deal with that fear. I always felt calm and in control while I was watching over it. Most of the time anyway…
 
Kikyo's ghost of a smile faded, and she was once again her serious self.
 
Speaking of your teacher, Okunara-sensei… He could come after you at any time. I believe he has the entire school under some kind of mind control, or possibly a spell. Over this past year and a half it has become a very dangerous place. You're not going to like this suggestion, but I feel it would probably be better… if we didn't come back here again.
 
Kagome nodded sadly, looking back at the ghostly girl in front of her. The unbidden thought …just like a mirror… ran through her mind, then disappeared just as quickly.
 
“I was thinking that exact same thing. But I don't think it would be safe to walk back through the halls. I'm going to have to chance climbing out the window. But I can't just go walking through the streets of Tokyo with a bow and arrows strung over my shoulder…”
Hide them in here. You don't need them.
 
Kagome looked at Kikyo, surprised.
 
“But, they're your things. And mine, too, seeing as I'm your reincarnation… besides, at the rate things seem to be falling apart, we may actually need them more sooner than later.” Suddenly Kikyo giggled. Inuyasha's jaw dropped - he'd never heard her laugh like that before. She sounded almost exactly like Kagome. He felt a pain in his chest, and mentally slapped himself in the head.
 
“Stupid! Kikyo never got have a normal life. If she had, she would have been able to giggle and have fun like all the other village women. But she was chosen for a higher calling…” His thought was interrupted by Kagome looking at the ghostly priestess.
 
“What are you chuckling about?” Kikyo covered her mouth with her hand to stifle another laugh, then smiled.
 
I was merely wondering what your doctor would have thought if you'd walked into her office toting a bow and quiver of arrows over your shoulder…
 
Kagome placed her own hand over her mouth to stifle her giggles. Then sucked in a breath as a loud bang resounded through the hallway outside.
 
“Enough frivolity. Let's get out of here!” Kagome stowed the bow and arrows in the cleaners cupboard, then hefted herself out the window, landing on her toes on the window ledge. Kikyo's spirit dissipated, reentering Kagome's body. InuYasha looked out the window, impressed by Kagome's reflexes and apparent lack of fear.
 
“She certainly seems to have grown up a lot. She's got the right idea too, jumping straight out the window. This place gives me the creeps.” InuYasha silently followed the girl out the window, creeping along the window ledge until they reached the drainpipe at the corner of the roof. Kagome managed to shimmy her way down the pipe with minimal effort. InuYasha climbed halfway down, then jumped the rest of the way. Kagome and her invisible companion then ran most of the way back to the Higurashi shrine.
 
“I guess she's going back for her bike. I hope we don't have to take another bus ride, that was terrible!” Kagome hardly broke a sweat, even after pelting up all the stairs at the shrine gate. She ran up to the house, knocking on the back door lightly.
 
“Mom, are you there? Mom?” No one appeared. Kagome shrugged to herself.
 
“She must be running errands or something… She'll figure out I came home and took it anyway… maybe I'll just leave a note!” She reached into her school bag and pulled out a notebook, a pen, and some sticky tape. She quickly scribbled an explanation, then taped it to the front door, picking up her helmet from the stand next to the welcome mat. She made her way to the garage and slid the door up, wheeling her Vespa scooter out then closing the door again. The dark haired InuYasha looked warily at the contraption and raised an eyebrow.
 
“No way in the world am I ever going on THAT thing…”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
The scooter zipped in and out of the buses and cars which were gridlocked on the city streets. Kagome's helmet kept her hair out of the way, but her invisible companion's black hair soared out behind them as they sped their way towards Kagome's doctor's office.
 
“This is fantastic! Much better than that ridiculous bicycle she brings back to my time with her… though I could see how it would be hard to try and carry this out of a well.” He had tried to grip Kagome around the stomach to hold himself on earlier, but had still been unable to physically touch her. He could, however, grip the bike seat. So hard that his knuckles had turned white with effort.
 
“Ouch! What the…?” He lifted one hand up to study it while they were stopped at a traffic light. One of his fingers was bleeding slightly. Oh, that's right, where I got the splinter before. He gripped the seat again as the scooter started to move, but more lightly this time. He was becoming accustomed to the speed, and Kagome seemed to have the lightning fast reflexes of a cat as she dodged vehicles and pedestrians alike. She laughed delightedly as she made it through a traffic light just before it turned red. InuYasha looked at the laughing girl in front of him, and sighed happily. It felt good to have her in his arms… No! The whole point of this wish was to get her as far away from me, and from danger as I could! Though… this world actually seems to be just as dangerous as my own.
He noticed the contraption was slowing down again, and he loosened his grip on the seat once more. Kagome pulled over to the side of the road and parked, then marched up to one of the tall buildings lining the sides of the road. InuYasha followed her up to the glass doors, then stopped in confusion. There were no handles on the doors at all, they were just smooth glass. There was a small box with a button on it at mouth level, mounted on the wall next to the doors. It was into this box that Kagome spoke.
 
“Dr Sugimoto's office please?” She released the button and stood back to wait. InuYasha eyed the box off, suspiciously. When the box crackled to life with a voice of it's own he nearly jumped out of his skin.
 
“Name please?” Kagome stepped forward, depressing the button to speak once again.
 
“Kagome Higurashi. I'm here early for an eleven am appointment. I hope that's not a problem…?” She made her voice sound hopeful at the end of the sentence. It seemed to work.
 
“No problem at all - please come straight up, Ms Higurashi.” There was a loud buzzing, and the two glass doors slid apart allowing Kagome and the invisible InuYasha access to the building. Kagome stepped forward confidently and headed toward the elevator at the far end of the lobby. InuYasha stared about with wide eyes, drinking in the rich wall decorations, marble pillars, leather couches and the reception desk.
 
“What is this place… it doesn't look like a hospital… what sort of doctor is this anyway?” He heard a soft `ding', and managed to jump in the elevator just as the mahogany doors were sliding closed. He didn't like being in such a small enclosed space. Kagome slipped a small black ear-piece inside her ear, and took her mobile phone out of her bag. It was turned off, but she pretended to fiddle with the buttons for a moment before she spoke.
 
“Kikyo… what should I tell Dr Sugimoto? About what happened at school today, with Mr Okunara. How much does she need to know?” A pale smudge appeared in the mirrored wall behind Kagome, but this time Kikyo did not fully solidify.
 
As little as possible. She does not need to be drawn into this problem. It is none of her concern. Besides, it has been many months since you actually told Dr Sugimoto the truth about anything. My suggestion to you is this - just try and get through this appointment quickly. Then we probably won't be able to come back here again either. This woman knows far too much about you. If anyone got to her… it would be disastrous for both of us.
 
Kagome blanched, and clutched the handrail of the elevator, just barely stopping herself from collapsing on the floor.
 
“They wouldn't put me back in the institution again, would they?” InuYasha looked at her sharply. Institution? What's that? The vague Kikyo shape in the mirror danced nearer, and seemed to lean closer to the glass.
 
I doubt that the Jewel would allow it, seeing as it seems to have started protecting you. Remember how it burned Okunara-sensei's hands when he tried to grab you that last time? Imagine what would happen if they tried to drag you back to the psychiatric ward… They wouldn't be able to touch you.
 
Kagome's color returned slightly, and her knees seemed to re-solidify. She stood straighter, her helmet under one arm, and her backpack on her back. She smiled slightly to herself.
 
“They wouldn't be able to touch me… that's a comforting thought!” She kept the mobile phone in her hand, and looked deeply into the mirrored wall.
 
“Don't worry, sis, I'll get us out of here as quickly as possible.” Kikyo's face materialized fully, and she smiled sadly at Kagome through the glass.
 
I'm so sorry, Kagome, that your life turned out to be almost as solitary and lonely as mine. It was never my intention for anything like this to happen.
 
Kagome looked as if she was going to answer, then there was another soft `ding' and the elevator doors opened onto a lavish suite. InuYasha gasped. Marble pillars, thick carpets, more leather armchairs… he'd never seen so much opulence in one room, the lobby not included. She slipped the ear-bud out of her ear and into her uniform pocket, and replaced her phone in her bag. Then she marched toward the reception desk. She recognized the older woman at the desk.
 
“Good morning, Aiko.” The older woman smiled at the lovely young girl in her school uniform.
 
“Good morning, Kagome, long time, no see. Has it been three months already?” Kagome smiled and nodded politely.
 
“Yes ma'am. Three months certainly seems to have been a long time ago. I'm sorry I'm here so early, but I got permission to leave school earlier today. Can Dr Sugimoto slot me in a little earlier?” She added a slight pleading note to her question. Aiko smiled and nodded.
 
“You were extremely lucky today. The Doctor had three cancellations this morning, and she was actually just about to call you to come in a little earlier. Go right in.” Aiko smiled and nodded her head toward the heavy wooden door to the left of her desk. Kagome nodded to her, and headed in the direction of the door.
 
“Thank you, Aiko. Have a nice day!” Kagome knocked on the door, and heard a faint voice call from inside.
 
“Come in! Ah, Kagome Higurashi, welcome back - did Aiko tell you, I was just about to call you?” Kagome nodded, smiling and sat down on the comfortable leather couch opposite Dr Sugimoto's desk. The Doctor was young, in her thirties, but had a very well known practice in a fashionable part of the city. The doctor kept her black hair cut fashionably short, and her round glasses made her look studious. Kagome couldn't help liking her a little. I feel kind of bad, lying to her and all - but I guess it can't be helped. Dr Sugimoto leaned forward, and smiled slightly.
 
“Now, I know this is a slightly loaded question, but how are you today?” The doctor always started her sessions like this, rather lightly. It looked like today wasn't going to be an exception. Kagome smiled a little wider.
 
“I actually feel really good. I haven't had any bad dreams lately, I've caught up on all my homework and assignments, and I seem to have made up with my friends a little more. It's almost like it all was, you know, back before my… accident.” InuYasha peered into Kagome's face.
 
“You had an accident? You seem fine now… At least to me.” InuYasha looked around the office, a thought suddenly materializing in his mind.
 
“I get it now, I think… this is one of those doctors' Kagome used to talk about, the one called a `shrink'. When she always used to say things like `I'm going to have some great stories to tell my shrink after you finally drive me mad'. I DO get it! This is where you come… when your brain is broken!” He grinned in triumph, then his grin slipped away when he realized the implications of what he's just said.
 
“Oh no, something happened to Kagome to… what? Make her crazy?” His thoughts were interrupted by the speaking women.
 
“Well, that's great, Kagome. Really great progress. You'll excuse me, of course, if I take your report with a grain of salt.” Kagome's smile faltered as she studied the doctor's face.
 
“Why, don't you believe me? Don't you believe I'm getting better? It's been two years since that roof beam hit me in the head now, I would have thought that I'd be nearly better by now…” The doctor looked at her sympathetically.
 
“But it's only been a year and a half since you were released from Tokyo General Hospital's Psych unit. That was a very traumatic experience for you, wasn't it?” The doctor's large grey eyes fixed on Kagome's brown ones. They seemed to bore straight down into her soul. Kagome gulped.
 
Calm yourself, Kagome. You can get through this…
 
“Yeah, that was a pretty bad time for me. Then again, I was recovering from a head injury and from the shock of falling down the well…” InuYasha's head was spinning. She was hit in the head by a falling roof beam… It must have been one of the well house beams, that roof looked pretty rickety. And then she still fell down the well… It must have been because she was knocked out that… She didn't come back to my time. But it sounds like she had it a lot worse over here than she did in my time. Kagome had continued speaking while InuYasha was theorizing about these new developments.
 
“I guess… they really just thought they were helping me… I wasn't dangerous or anything, the only side effect from the whole experience was my headaches and some muscle pain sometimes.” Dr Sugimoto narrowed her eyes, and looked at the girl sitting before her.
 
“What about the voices you were hearing, Kagome? Back then,” Sugimoto checked her notes, “You said that an ancient Japanese priestess was talking to you in your head. You were very vivid in your descriptions…” The doctor shuffled her papers and showed Kagome the pages, written in her own hand, describing the stories which Kikyo had used to soothe the poor girl's addled mind after the accident.
 
I'm sorry…
 
Kikyo's voice echoed in Kagome's and InuYasha's heads. Kagome smiled quietly to herself.
 
“I think I must have created her, out of my own imagination. My family does live in a shrine, after all. Who better for me to have as an imaginary friend than a warring states era priestess, whispering secrets and stories to me to make me feel better? You know, Dr Sugimoto, the more I think about that time in my life, the hazier it becomes in my head. I think I'm finally starting to forget.” Kagome's eyes misted over a little, and Dr Sugimoto reached forward and covered the girl's hand with her own.
 
“Now an admission like that, Kagome, is what we refer to as `real progress'. I'm very proud of you for coming along this far.” Kagome lifted her tear-filled eyes and smiled at the doctor.
 
“Thank you. I couldn't have done it without your help, Dr Sugimoto.” The doctor smiled with delight. She thrived on thanks and flattery.
 
“Now, just a few quick questions before we're done. Are you still taking your medication?” Kagome smiled at the woman reassuringly.
 
“Absolutely - I still have one repeat left. So I shouldn't need a new prescription until my next visit.” InuYasha stared at the girl in front of him. Kagome told a lie! I've never known her to lie to anyone before, let alone straight to their face like this! He shook his head, and looked the girl over. It was odd that a girl he had known so well could change so much over two years. She seemed a lot surer of herself, she was definitely more physically fit, and (from riding on the scooter earlier) he could tell she had turned into a bit of a daredevil. But at what cost… She'd apparently been locked away in a mental institution for six months, had only just reconnected with her friends, had to take some kind of medicine to quiet her mind… And had Kikyo talking to her and appearing to her constantly.
 
The doctor nodded, seemingly satisfied.
 
“All right then, second question. You mentioned that when your school teacher was replaced after you came out of hospital, you didn't like her replacement. Mr… Okunara. How do you feel about him now?” Kagome wrinkled her nose, then answered.
 
“I think… because I was so used to my old teacher, I wasn't ready to welcome change. Now that I've had him for about a year and a half… I guess you could say he's grown on me. Plus he always buys everybody presents on their birthdays. Everyone thinks he's great!” Kagome smiled to herself. InuYasha's eyes opened wider.
 
“We're talking about the same teacher right? Okunara? The guy that tried to strangle you this morning? I can't believe…” You turned into such a liar… InuYasha just couldn't believe that this was the same girl who didn't want to tell him when Kikyo had tried to kill her, because it would have felt like a betrayal. He remembered the tears in her eyes that day. This lying, smiling woman was the furthest thing from that innocent girl… When I made that wish, did I really cause all this trouble?
 
“I'm so glad you're fitting in there better now, Kagome. All right, last question: Next year is your last year of high school - I was wondering if you had planned what you were going to do yet?” Kagome furrowed her brow for a moment.
 
Just tell her the truth…It will actually sound feasible in these circumstances…Kikyo silently advised her.
 
“Oh, be quiet!” InuYasha growled at the girl's spirit. Both of them were starting to annoy him.
 
“I'm planning to travel around for a while… Maybe even with my friends. Then possibly continue my studies. I feel like I need to get out into the world and experience some real life for a while.” Dr Sugimoto beamed across the table at the girl.
 
“That sounds like a perfect end to next year - have a rest when your studies are finally finished, you'll deserve it.” Kagome moved to stand up, and Dr Sugimoto rose also, directing the girl to the door.
 
“Since this was just a follow-up session, you may as well go.” Kagome smiled at the doctor once more, then impulsively reached out and gave her a small hug.
 
“Thank you so much for all your help, Dr Sugimoto. I don't think I would have managed any of this without you.” Sugimoto smiled, and opened the door.
 
“Oh, just one more thing - what did Mr Okunara get you for your birthday this year? It's today, isn't it?” Kagome stopped, startled, and had to think. What do I say…?
 
“Some American candies and a cd. Nothing fancy like last time, when he bought costumes for everybody. Well, bye!” Kagome all but ran out of the office.
 
“Bye Aiko!” Dr Sugimoto leaned on Aiko's desk and watched the girl disappear inside the elevator, like the devil was on her heels. The doctor sighed deeply.
 
“Strange girl… coming along quite nicely though… it will take more time.” InuYasha looked at the doctor, who seemed to only have to best intentions for Kagome.
 
“She ain't coming back, lady. There is no more time…” He pelted into the elevator just as the doors were closing again. He threw Kagome a dirty look as he stood next to her, then softened as he noticed the look on her face. Kagome looked as if she was about to burst out crying.
 
“I hate being this way… Why couldn't I have just been a normal girl in a normal school, with normal everyday activities?!” She pounded her fist against the hand rail in the elevator.
 
“I hate lying to everybody! I hate being alone! And I hate hurting the people closest to me the most…” She sank to the floor of the elevator, crying silently. InuYasha's heart felt like it would break. This is all my fault, for making that stupid wish… it does look like Kagome had it better in my world. She's not happy here, she's definitely not safe, and I'm not even sure if she's loved here… except by that Hojo guy…
 
In the mirrored elevator wall, the Kikyo shadow reappeared, hovering over Kagome's shoulder.
 
It's all going to be fine, little sister. A little training will make you feel better… It will definitely burn off some of that excess energy you have.
 
“You're right, Kikyo. Kicking the crap out of something would definitely make me feel better right now. We're going to the gym!” Kagome pushed through the elevator doors, walked brusquely through the downstairs lobby and exited the `magic' doors which opened by themselves. InuYasha followed, and leapt onto the back of the scooter just before Kagome tore off down the road. The girl definitely had energy to burn.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
InuYasha had been sitting on the gymnasium floor watching Kagome kick and punch the hanging bag for almost an hour now. He was amazed at just how much energy the girl possessed, and at how well toned her legs and arms now were. The prowess with which she kicked, ducked, dodged and punched was phenomenal. She seemed to fight almost as well as he could. Well, almost. The punching bag did knock her feet out from underneath her once. And all during training she kept the ear-bud and the turned off phone on her person, so she could talk to Kikyo. Inuyasha didn't understand this at first, until he noticed all of the other people walking around talking into similar devices. Though I doubt they're talking to ghosts through theirs, he thought to himself. Eventually, Kagome slowed down, and sat on the floor.
 
“Hey Kikyo,” She said, taking a drink of water.
 
What is it, Kagome - do you have a question for me?
 
“What do YOU think we should do next year. I mean, traveling sounds pretty nice, but what would Mom think of that? And what about Hojo?” Kagome sounded genuinely confused. She was tired and her thoughts were muddled. She'd been through a lot in just this one day.
 
Do you Love this Hojo boy? I know he has strong feelings for you, but how do you feel about him? Kagome stopped to think.
 
“I want to protect him. But I want to protect all my friends! I don't know if I feel any more strongly for him than I do for anyone else…”
 
If you loved him, you would know immediately… I loved someone once, but it led to great betrayal and both of our deaths… Not all stories end like mine though - you could be happy with Hojo. You can't go back to school, but maybe at your party tonight you can ask him if he wants to come away with you. You two could run away, and hide from all the evil in this world. It's not too late for you…
“No, Kikyo, I could never abandon your cause like that. It's our job to look after the Shikon Jewel, which now resides inside my body. How many demons have I already killed for this cause? I wouldn't do it if I didn't care about it - I would have run away years ago, or kept taking my medication. But I believed in you, and I will do everything in my power to make sure that the jewel never falls into the hands of those who would abuse it!”
 
Those… those were my exact words… just before I died…
 
“Well then, it looks like I'm the right lady for the job then! Let's go get some target practice in before I have to get home!” Kagome hurried toward the outdoor section of the gymnasium, where the targets, bows and arrows were available for the archery fans. InuYasha remained seated on the floor, a bemused look on his face.
 
“She didn't say she loved that Hojo guy… I wonder…” he lost that train of thought a couple of seconds later.
 
“Did she say she'd been killing demons?”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
After watching Kagome score bull's eye after bull's eye on the outside targets, Inuyasha decided it was about time he headed back to the bone-eaters well and Kareru.
 
“I'm definitely going to take the wish back. It's far too dangerous here for Kagome to be fighting demons by herself. Plus, she hasn't got any of the things I wanted for her. That Kareru must be a pretty useless wish granter if she can't get something as simple as my wish to work properly.” He ran back up the shrine steps, and walked around the back of the house to the well house. He looked up at the spirit tree before he left.
 
“That tree really does look a lot chunkier than I remember it… maybe everything's slightly different in this world. Ok, here goes… Kareru! You'd better let me back through this time!” He ran through the doorway of the well house and took a flying leap over the lip of the well, and started falling… falling… falling… He closed his eyes…
 
And didn't hit the bottom this time.
 
Inuyasha opened his eyes and looked up. He could see the clear night sky above him, and the silhouetted heads of a small child and a large cat. He smiled to himself.
 
“I'm back… Now to fix this mess!”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Ok, that's the end of Mad World 2 - did I forget to mention that I don't own the song `Mad World' as sung by Gary Jules. That's kind of where I've been getting these chapter titles from.
 
Oh yeah, I also `borrowed' the name Sugimoto from `The Twelve Kingdoms' for the name of the doctor. It sounded good - plus it would make people think “Oooh, I wonder if that's Yuka Sugimoto from the Twelve Kingdoms?”. In theory anyway.
 
Thanks to my latest reviewers:
 
celesvictoria007
arenoid
inukagpuppylove
 
Hopefully, Mad World 3 (Very Very Mad World) will be ready in a couple of days - plus another couple of `ludes and an epilogue and such.
 
What do you guys think, should I enter this in the fanfic comp?
 
Please don't forget to review!
 
Foxfire out!
catherinehgreen@gmail.com