InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Part 4 - Eternal Requiem ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Choices - by Foxfire79
 
Disclaimer: I still don't own InuYasha, any of the other characters of the InuYasha series, and generally anything Inuyasha related that would earn me any money whatsoever. I am merely a lowly fan, kneeling at the feet of Rumiko Takahashi, the one true owner of InuYasha. I'm a tiny, tiny person… lol! Meanwhile, anything else I mention in these pages that are trademarked, I generally don't own. You can tell which one's they are. I still wish I did own them though, because then I would be rolling in cash, and laughing maniacally.
 
Other stuff I still don't own (but wish I did):
Michael Angelo's David
A Vespa scooter
Venice
 
That'll do… That'll do… (Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean…) *squeezing stress ball*
 
WARNING!! Ok, if you're not ready to read about `apparent' character deaths and what not, this chapter may not be for you - but just remember, it's all a wish! This is the stuff that `could be' not the stuff that `actually is'! So there's the warning - if you don't want to read on… What am I saying!! Please read on!! Character deaths, angst, broken bones and all! It's turning out to be a long chapter too, sorry!
 
 
 
Part 4 - Eternal Requiem
 
Kareru blinked up at the angry, dark haired boy.
 
“So… it didn't work out then?” InuYasha turned away from the small girl in a huff.
 
“In a word, no.” Kareru clasped her hands in front of her, looking up at InuYasha beseechingly.
 
“Please, tell me what happened…?” InuYasha sighed, seeming deeply put out, and recounted what had happened. When he had finished explaining how everything had gone wrong, Kareru sighed and rubbed her temples.
 
“It appears that the granters decided to use the first half of your wish… That Kagome had never come down the well. The second half of your wish, that Kagome would be happy and safe and alive, seems to have been disregarded entirely.” InuYasha glanced at the girl, raising an eyebrow.
 
“Well, what are you gonna do about it?” Kareru blinked up at him again, looking confused.
 
“What do you mean, what am I going to do about it? It's already done. The only thing we can do is either take it back, or let it play through to the end. And from what you've told me about this new future so far, I'm kind of interested to see how things turn out…” InuYasha exhaled loudly, and uncrossed his arms. He looked down at the small, still slightly bedraggled girl, and tried to calm himself.
 
“So, how do I take the wish back then? What do I have to do?” Kareru peered up at InuYasha, dumbfounded.
 
“That's it then - you really just want to take it back, without even looking into what happened to the rest of your friends during all these changes?” InuYasha kneeled to the girl's level to look her in the eye.
 
“What do you mean? Who else would have been affected by my wish?” Kareru looked away sadly.
 
“You honestly didn't realize, did you, that more than just you and Kagome would be affected by this wish of yours… That's terribly selfish, InuYasha.” He snorted, crossing his arms once more.
 
“Ok, fine. Explain how anyone else could possibly have been affected by this stupid wish, and then I'll consider what to do about it. Happy?” Kareru glanced back up at the boy, frowning slightly.
 
“Happy? Not really. But my feelings don't amount to much in the scheme of things. I have many things to show you before you make your final decision. Shall we go?” InuYasha scratched his head, and glanced down at the child again.
 
“Can't you just tell me what happened to them?” Kareru shook her head sadly and looked at her tiny white toes, standing out against the damp grass.
 
“Under the circumstances, I think it would be a lot easier to see these things rather than for me to try to explain them. You seem to be quite dense at times… Kilala, we'll need to ride on your back again, if that's all right?” Kilala mewed, then bust into flame, growing into her large form instantly. InuYasha glared at Kareru as she clambered onto the giant cat's back.
 
“Did you just call me stupid?” Kareru ignored him. InuYasha climbed up behind her, settling onto Kilala's back.
 
“Hey, kid. I just asked you a question - did you just call me stupid?” Kareru continued to ignore InuYasha, as she whispered a command into Kilala's ear. InuYasha huffed to himself, and stared off into space over Kareru's head.
 
Kilala growled softly, and with a leap took off into to the sky. She could smell the stench of death and old blood strong in the air. They were heading somewhere where something violent and terrible had occurred, but she didn't know what. She was only heading where Kareru had told her, and she trusted Kareru. Kareru seemed good, and she couldn't possibly be steering her and InuYasha into danger. Could she?
 
In his human form, InuYasha couldn't sense the death and blood as keenly as Kilala, but he knew something was awry. He noticed the darkness deepening beneath them, and realized they were flying over a chasm of some sort. He vaguely recognized it from somewhere…
 
“Hey, Kareru, where are we? I think I've been here before, but it might have been a while ago…?” He felt a small movement from in front of him, as the child nodded.
 
“Yes. There was a great and terrible battle here, almost exactly two years ago. A pair of demon brothers annihilated most of the towns in this area looking for the Shikon jewel.” InuYasha's eyes glazed over as he thought back. Demon brothers huh? I think the only demon brothers I ever fought were…
 
“Do you mean the Thunder Brothers? We beat them! They barely lived up to the title `demon'!” Kareru craned her neck to look back at the boy.
 
“`We' being who, exactly? Remember, Kagome never came back through the well in this time. Thanks to your wish, there was no-one here to protect these villages and people from the Thunder Brothers wrath. Except…” Kareru stopped speaking, and tapped Kilala on the shoulder, motioning that she should land on this tainted ground. Kilala growled softly, but did as she was told.
 
“Please, climb down here.” InuYasha climbed down, then absentmindedly lifted the girl down also. They walked a few paces closer to the cliff edge when InuYasha stopped and knelt down, lifting a small object up from the dirt. This looks like…No, it can't be!
 
“A great fox demon challenged the Thunder Brothers to a battle, and he sadly lost his life to this cause… There was a great outcry from the surrounding villages, as he had been their protector for many years. The next day the Brothers killed everyone who had spoken out against them…”
 
InuYasha wiped the dirt from the tiny object in his hand, then lifted it closer to his eye level to study the dark stains that had soaked into the wood.
 
“Blood… This can't be right…” Kareru continued the story.
 
“The day after the slaughter, the great fox demon's son decided to avenge his father's, and the villagers', deaths… And, most sadly, he also perished…” InuYasha clutched the small, bloodstained wooden top in his hand, so tightly his knuckles turned white. He bowed his head, shoulders tightening in anger.
 
“Shippo… died?”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kaede's hut
 
Kagome rolled over and cracked an eye open. A small noise had awoken her. It seemed to have come from Shippo, even though at a glance he seemed to be quite peacefully asleep. But what was that on his face… Is he crying in his sleep? Kagome reached over toward the tiny fox cub, her arm seeming to weigh a tonne. She managed to curl the arm around him, and pull him closer to her body.
 
“`S'ok, Shippo, go back to sleep. I'm… right… here…” Kagome fell back into her deep sleep, snuggling Shippo like he was a teddy bear. Shippo sighed deeply, then sobbed.
 
“I'm so sorry, father… I couldn't avenge you… I was too weak and small… Please, forgive… me…” Shippo's sobs died away, and he settled back to sleep, snuggling back into Kagome's neck. After a while, a slight smile lit upon his lips. His nightmare had finished.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
“Did you know who he was before you brought me to this place?” InuYasha glared at the girl, his hands fisting at his sides. Kareru backed away, looking uncomfortable.
 
“I only knew he was an associate of yours. I didn't know he was a child.” InuYasha advanced on the poor girl.
 
“Are all of my friends dead? Is that the future you're going to show me? That by wishing Kagome had never come back here, everybody died? If you wanted to make me feel bad, you've succeeded! I already said I was gonna take the wish back!” Kareru lifted her hands and held them in front of her in a warding off gesture.
 
“I'm only doing what I was told to do, and I was told to show you all the repercussions of your wish. You have to be made to realize that with every choice you make, you don't just affect your own path but the paths of many others. Now, calm yourself down. We have more to see - Kilala!” Kilala trotted back over, her head hanging low. She understood what had happened on this ground, and it pained her to know that her little friend, Shippo, had given his life to protect and avenge others.
 
InuYasha picked Kareru up and placed her on the cat's back, then mounted up behind her. Kareru's hair blew back into his face as she stared straight ahead.
 
“Who would you like to see next?” InuYasha thought hard for a moment, then decided.
 
“Kaede, and the villagers.” Kareru nodded, then tapped Kilala on the shoulder. She took off back toward the village.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
The smell of smoke seemed to grow stronger as the giant cat flew towards Kaede's village. Kilala's nose twitched, and she fought the urge to sneeze. InuYasha's knees tightened their grip on Kilala's back as he peered into the ever thickening haze around them. Kareru shielded her eyes with her hands.
 
“Are you sure this is the right village?” InuYasha asked. The huts on the outskirts looked so dilapidated, and the people scurrying away from the flames seemed starved to the point of skin and bones. The small girl nodded, then tapped Kilala on her shoulder.
 
“Kilala, we will not land this time. The flames and the people would be too hard for us to avoid. Please set us down near the river instead.” The great cat understood and changed her course. She set them down on the river's edge and sat down herself to listen to Kareru's explanation. Kareru closed her eyes, and held her face up to the sky, seeming to gather herself.
 
“Two years ago, many groups of thieves came through this area. They had apparently heard the story of the Shikon jewel. They did not know, however, that the jewel had been burned with the Priestess Kikyo's body. This made them very angry, for many of these thieves had traveled great distances. They laid waste to the village, killing anyone who tried to stop them, and stole anything of value. And they have continued to do so over the past two years in retribution for the `false jewel' story.” Kareru finished speaking and bowed her head.
 
InuYasha's head also bowed at this news. Even though he hadn't really had anything to do with the villagers, they hadn't been too disrespectful to him, or made fun of him. It wasn't fair that good people had to die for no good reason. He took a deep breath. It's all going to work out all right anyway… Once I take the wish back, none of this would have happened.
 
“All right, so that's what happened to the villagers - what happened to Kaede? Let me guess, she died at some point in these raids, right?”
 
“Oh, no. Kaede is still alive. In fact, we are right near her dwelling place.” Somehow that knowledge didn't raise InuYasha's hopes. Perhaps it was Kareru's tone. She didn't sound any happier telling him that Kaede was alive then when she'd told him Shippo was dead. Still, this was what he had asked to see.
 
“Fine. Take me to her.” The small girl took his hand and led him into the forest. A few rows of trees in, they came upon a curious looking hut. It would have only been large enough to house one person and a bed, and strangely it had no windows. Just some narrow slits carved into the wooden walls, and one extremely large and heavy looking door. As the two of them approached they could hear a mumbling coming from within the little house.
 
“…not mad, I'm not mad, I know where she is and it's definitely not here, but they keep coming and looking, and they'll keep coming but it's not here… not here…”
 
InuYasha crept up to one of the cut-outs in the wall of the house and looked inside. In the gloom he could see a small, stooped woman pacing around the tiny room, her dirty hair hanging in her face. She seemed to have lost a lot of weight very quickly, as her skin looked to be hanging from her bones. Is it…
 
“Is that Kaede? What's wrong with her?” Kareru once again closed her eyes, focusing on some unseen well of knowledge.
 
“Fifty years ago, just after Lady Kikyo and yourself suffered that great misfortune, Kaede saw a vision of the future. She saw a young girl in strange clothes protecting the jewel, and in that young girl's face she could see her dead sister, reincarnated. She thanked the gods for this great gift, and offered to be their new servant to this village. When she made this offer, however, another was listening…” InuYasha's eyes narrowed, and his lip curled up baring his teeth.
 
“Let me guess - Naraku, right?” Kareru's eyes remained closed, but she nodded.
 
“Indeed. He overheard, and decided that he would drive the poor girl mad by sending demons to her in the guise of heavenly angels, bringing messages to her from her dead sister and all of the villagers who died.” InuYasha's hands fisted up and he punched the wall of Kaede's `house'.
 
“It looks like he succeeded. Old Kaede didn't deserve this; she was nothing but good, and kind to the villagers! Every time I learn something new about Naraku I hate him even more!” InuYasha started to pull back from the hut, then heard something uttered from inside.
 
“… it's safe, it's nice and safe in another world, another time, with Kikyo and Kagome… not even HE will be able to find it there… I only wish… that someone had released the other so he could help them too… It's all so sad… so sad… sad…” The old woman dissolved into heartbreaking sobs, sinking to the floor and covering her face with her grimy hands.
 
“What was she talking about, releasing `the other'? Naraku really did drive her mad, didn't he?” Kareru turned to leave, but InuYasha grabbed her shoulder gently.
 
“Wait… the villagers all seemed to be leaving because of the fire and the thieves… What's to become of Kaede, locked away here? Is anyone going to come and let her out?” Kareru looked at her toes, sadly.
 
“We cannot interfere… We have to go and see the rest of your friends. They may or may not remember her, but that is up to them. Come InuYasha, we're leaving.” The two unlikely companions turned and left the lonely cabin in the woods, the sound of the old lady's sobs fading into the distance.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kaede's hut
 
Kaede gave a deep shuddering sigh and awoke. She felt dampness on her cheeks.
 
“Oh my… Was I crying in my sleep?” She surveyed the room to see if any of the children had woken up. Kagome and Shippo were curled up together in the usual manner, Sango… Where was Sango? Kaede scanned the room looking towards the door, the basin… Then she found the sleeping demon slayer. She smiled to herself and lay back down, returning to her slumber, yawning.
 
“I wonder… how she's going to… explain her way out… of this one…?”
 
Sango was still sleeping on top of Miroku's chest, a slight smile playing across her lips. And the monk still hadn't noticed she was there.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
All three traveling companions seemed a lot more subdued after this second visitation. Kareru was absentmindedly patting Kilala on the head as she flew. InuYasha was staring off into space over her head.
 
“Hey, Kareru?” The girl jumped slightly at the sound of her name, then relaxed.
 
“Yes, InuYasha - you have a question?” InuYasha scratched his head as he tried to figure out how to word his question.
 
“How is it… How do you… How come you know everything that happened to everybody?” Kareru smiled to herself, and continued patting Kilala's head. The giant cat purred as she flew on to their next destination.
 
“It's one of my gifts. All I have to do is stand in a place long enough, and all the stories and information from that place just come into my head. The trees, the ground, even the wind itself… they all carry memories. I think I even had this gift before I… Oh, we're here!” Kilala landed gently on the ground, sniffing the air gingerly. Once more, she could sense death and blood, but more recent this time. InuYasha looked around. This place looked vaguely familiar too.
 
“Is this… the wolf demon's lair?” Kareru seemed to be scanning the area, as if looking for something. Glancing down towards the base of the waterfall that shielded the entrance to the wolf demons' cave, she nodded to herself and mounted up on Kilala's back again. InuYasha followed her lead and jumped back on also.
 
“Down there, Kilala.” The cat growled, then leapt her way down the cliff face to the churning water and pool below. Just ahead of them, on the ground, there was a dark shadow. The shadow seemed to be struggling to move, but managed to work a hand into the water to get a drink for itself. After it had drunk its fill, the figure collapsed on the stones beside the pool, chuckling to itself.
 
“Who'd have thought I'd end up like this… bird bait?” He touched his right leg and winced, then his left, and howled with pain. He growled, fisting his hands and pounding them against the stones.
 
“It shouldn't have ended like this! It's not fair!” InuYasha's eyes widened as he looked at the broken figure lying on the ground in front of him.
 
“Koga… What happened to him? And where is the rest of the tribe?” Kareru closed her eyes, letting the knowledge flow into her mind, then spoke.
 
“The Birds of Paradise successfully attacked and destroyed this wolf demon tribe, though they did lose many of their number. Koga was responsible for most of the Birds' deaths. For the past two years they have been chasing and attacking him to avenge their lost numbers. In desperation, Koga returned to his old haunt to hide and to regain his strength. The Birds followed him here, and threw him off the cliff before he even knew they were there. He has now been lying down here for two days, waiting for them to come back and finish the job.”
 
Kareru looked down sadly at the fallen warrior before them. He was lying on his back, his ponytail trailing in the water, beads of sweat forming on his brow and his eyes dull with pain. Both of his legs were clearly broken, and one of his arms lay limply at his side. She glanced at InuYasha quickly.
 
“I'm sorry you had to see this. I know he isn't one of your close friends, but he has fought with you, side by side on occasion.” InuYasha looked angrily down at Koga.
 
“He doesn't deserve to die like this - he is a great warrior. Just waiting to die like this, it's… shameful! Didn't the jewel shards in his legs help him at all?” Kareru blinked up at him.
 
“InuYasha, are you forgetting again? Kagome never came back through the well, hence the jewel never came back into this time. How can there be any jewel shards when the jewel was never brought back here to be shattered.” InuYasha stopped and thought.
 
“That's right… I really didn't think when I made that wish at all, did I? I think I've seen enough here, let's go. I only hope… Koga doesn't have to wait too long for his final battle.” InuYasha mounted up on Kilala's back, pulling Kareru up in front of him. Koga lay on his back, chuckling up at the moon.
 
“Come on back, Birds! I'm still well enough to go down fighting! Come back and finish me! I dare you!” Koga's yells followed the travelers as they left the waterfall and the wolf demon lair.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Koga's Lair
 
Koga jerked awake, but when he tried to sit up he could barely move. He was overcome with the urge to fall back to sleep, but that dream had been pretty disturbing. He raised a heavy arm and wiped his hand across his forehead. It was dripping with sweat.
 
“What the hell? That was quite a nightmare! It never would have turned out like that though… I would never… have let those… damn birds… win…” He yawned, and curled back up on the furs spread out on the stone floor. Let's get back to the good dreams again…
 
A smile spread slowly across Koga's lips as he fell back to sleep.
 
“Kagome…”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
“I guess… I'd like to see Miroku next. If that's ok, I mean.” Kareru half turned, looking at the boy sitting behind her.
 
“That's fine. Kilala, head over to Miroku's childhood home.” The giant cat nodded and continued on her course. InuYasha looked down at the fair-haired child in front of him, pondering just what exactly she was. She talks about granting wishes, and the land talking to her… What is she?
 
“Kareru, you were telling me before about how the land told you what happened in the past. Do you know how or why you can do that?” Kareru frowned, and shook her head.
 
“I just always have been able to do so, as long as I can remember. They called my mother a witch… they were so cruel to her… I think they eventually burned her… But they can't have, because I was there and I'm still alive... I'm still sort of confused about what happened. I think I fell asleep for a while, then I woke up surrounded by people all dressed in white. They said I had to accomplish a task before I could go and see my mother, then I found myself falling in the river. Then you rescued me. That's all I remember.” Kareru stared off into the distance, her eyes scanning the horizon. Inuyasha looked down at the top of her head.
 
“Looks like we have something in common then. My mother and I were kind of shunned by her village just because we were both different too.” Kareru continued to stare ahead, but smiled faintly.
 
“Looks like you turned out all right though. You ended up with a group of friends that you seem to care deeply about, and you have a woman that you like so much… that you wished her away from you just to keep her safe.” InuYasha blushed, and ran a hand through his dark hair.
 
“Now that I think about it, it really was kind of stupid. Besides, Kagome's future looks a lot more dangerous then what were dealing with back here. Hey, is that Miroku's old house… What is that?” Kilala circled the old house, then settled on the ground near a gigantic crater. InuYasha picked Kareru up, out of habit, and placed her on the ground before dismounting himself. They stood at the edge of the crater, looking down into the darkness.
 
“I remember this… This is the place where Miroku's father was sucked into his own wind tunnel. But it wasn't this deep the last time I was here… Oh…” InuYasha's words died away as he realized what must have happened.
 
“It finally happened, didn't it, just like he said it would… Miroku was devoured by his own… wind tunnel…” InuYasha's voice cracked, but that was the only clue towards how he felt. Miroku was the closest thing to a real brother that InuYasha would ever have. In InuYasha's mind, Sesshomaru wasn't even family. Kareru glanced at the boy, worried, then her eyes slid shut and she began to recite the story of Miroku's demise.
 
“Miroku, as you know, was a good man and a great monk, despite his certain… quirks. He journeyed alone across the country, ever searching for Naraku. He swore that he would destroy Naraku and lift the curse of the wind tunnel in his hand. Then one day, a beautiful woman accosted him in a village and drew him out to an open field. He realized then that she was no human woman, but a Praying Mantis demon… ” Inuyasha interrupted her here.
 
“Wait, wait, I know all this - it happened this way in our original time too… The Praying Mantis injured his wind tunnel, and he returned to his childhood home to his old mentor. The old guy was the only one who could fix him up, but he was taken over by some worm demons and instead tried to kill Miroku… Then Naraku's demons showed up and I... I was the one that stopped them… and saved everyone… Damn it!” InuYasha slammed his fist into his thigh, frustrated.
 
“That's all true - Naraku's demons appeared, and Miroku was still woozy from the false medicine that the possessed old man had given him. He knew the risk of using his wind tunnel but it was the only thing he could do, under the circumstances. He merely wanted to live a little longer… but the fates were against him that day. Everything in the surrounding area was sucked in… including the old man, the worm demons, the worm demon charmer, Miroku and Hachi.” Inuyasha closed his eyes.
 
“I hadn't even thought of Hachi,” InuYasha thought, his mind turning to the chubby, cowardly Raccoon demon, who'd stood by his master in the end.
 
“Let's go.” InuYasha picked up the child and placed her on Kilala's back again, jumping up behind her.
 
“InuYasha…?” He glared at the open space over her head.
 
“Don't talk to me - I just want to get this over with.”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kaede's hut
 
Miroku gasped, his hand throbbing, but he did not wake. Sango did, however. She found herself draped over Miroku's chest, where she had collapsed earlier. A slight blush crossed her cheeks, then she realized why she'd woken.
 
“Miroku… it's ok… it was only a… dream…” She reached one heavy arm down to his hand, wrapped with the prayer beads to hold the wind tunnel in check. She clutched the hand in her own, and brought it up to lay on his chest. His brow smoothed, and his face relaxed once more into a peaceful sleep mask. Sango smiled, then laid her head back on his chest.
 
“It's ok… I'm right here… I'll protect you…” Sango slipped back into sleep, straight into a dream.
 
“I'll always protect you… Kohaku…”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kilala's nose wrinkled up at the almost tangible scent of death at their last stop. The ruins of a castle rose up around them as she landed silently on the ground. The hair on the back of InuYasha's neck rose, as he realized where they were.
 
“This is Naraku's old castle… Why would Sango come here? And where is she anyway?” Kareru looked around, then up at the moon.
 
“We're early - she will arrive presently. Let's walk around to the graveyard.” Kareru started walking around to the back of the ruined building, and InuYasha followed. Graveyard… but she's not dead, so that's good. Maybe she's just visiting someone?
 
When they reached the graveyard InuYasha realized why Sango would be coming here.
 
“This is where the entire Slayer group met their end, by Kohaku's hand. I understand now. She's coming here to see her family.” Kareru closed her eyes and started to speak.
 
“Sango saw her entire family and all their friends slain by her own younger brother, Kohaku. When she realized that he was being controlled by a demon she tried to kill it, but was mortally wounded by Kohaku in the process. The townspeople then killed Kohaku in retribution for this terrible act. The Lord of the house, actually the demon in disguise, was slain by his son, the young lord, who told the people to give the slayers a good burial on the castle grounds. Sango was buried along with the others, but awoke beneath the earth, clawing her way back to the surface and life.” InuYasha snorted, stopping the girl in mid-story.
 
“We already knew all this… The young lord turns out to be Naraku, he implants a jewel shard in her… Oh, right…” Kareru cleared her throat.
 
“May I continue…?” InuYasha blushed slightly, then nodded.
 
“As you knew, the young lord turns out to be Naraku in his new body. He steals a part of Sango's soul, in exchange for taking away her pain and restoring her full power. He also made her into his personal assassin. He forced Sango to kill many good people, merely on his own whims. Sango found out, entirely by accident, that Naraku was the one who killed all the slayers and their families in the slayers village, all in his selfish search for the Shikon jewel. She turned against him, and just in the past couple of days battled with his closest henchmen, Kagura and Kanna.” Kareru was interrupted by a cry of pain, and a dragging sound coming towards them.
 
Sango staggered into the graveyard, one arm hanging uselessly by her side, the other clutching the Hiraikotsu over her shoulder. She dripped blood on the ground as she walked, from multiple wounds. Inuyasha had seen such injuries before.
 
“All of those cuts… She must have been hit with Kagura's `Dance of Blades' attack. I can't believe she's still walking around.” Sango sank to the ground, out of exhaustion, and crawled to the grave she was looking for.
 
“Kohaku…” She croaked, her good hand clutching at the dirt which covered her brother's body, “Oh, Kohaku… I'm so sorry…” Sango sobbed into the dirt. InuYasha looked on, distraught. He'd never been good around crying women, and now one of his closest friends was in great need of solace. Poor Sango…
 
“I've tried… I've tried so hard to avenge you! Naraku made me do terrible things… terrible things… I'm so sorry it took me this long to wake up! And now it's too late!” She was shaken by a coughing fit, and when she wiped her mouth afterwards blood came away on her hand.
 
“That wind witch Kagura told me he'd gone where I could never follow him… I didn't believe her at first, but when they made it through and all I did was hit the bottom, I knew she spoke the truth…” InuYasha twitched, and listened more closely. Made it through where…? She couldn't possibly mean…
 
“I don't have long left in this world, brother… I only wished to ask your forgiveness one last time before I joined you and father, wherever you are now. And mother… I'll finally get to see her again…” Sango's face went blank for a moment as she tried to collect her thoughts.
 
“I'm not just going to sit here and wait! Kohaku, I promised to always look after you, and I'm sorry I couldn't fulfill my promise. My greatest hope is that… you can forgive me… and welcome me with open arms when I come to meet you!” She reached down, but couldn't find her sword.
 
“My sword is gone… This will be harder than I expected.” InuYasha watched her, struggling to stand up, and understood immediately what she meant to do.
 
“Sango, no!” He tried to grab the girl's shoulders, but once more realized that he couldn't touch anyone. His hands merely slipped over her like oil on water. Sango managed to stand, then clutched the Hiraikotsu in her good hand. She lifted it over her shoulder, gasping in pain, then released it into a massive arc.
 
“Hiraikotsu!” Sango closed her eyes, and held her ground, swaying gently on her feet as her strength started to fail.
 
“I'm coming, Kohaku… Please… welcome me…” Kareru whimpered as the gigantic boomerang started to return to the earth, coming straight at Sango. InuYasha pulled the small girl to his chest so she didn't have to see Sango's demise. He turned his head away afterward. He picked Kareru up in his arms and headed back to Kilala.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kaede's hut
 
Miroku awoke with a start. There was an unfamiliar pressure on his chest, and something seemed to be attached to his hand. He looked down at himself, disoriented, and scratched his head. His arm seemed too heavy to lift. Who…? Did I actually manage to get someone…What's going on?
 
The dark haired woman on his chest sighed, then shifted. When he recognized her face he blushed deeply.
 
“Sango…?” The lovely young girl lying on him suddenly scrunched up her face and started sobbing.
 
“Kohaku... Oh, Kohaku, I'm so sorry… please… forgive me…?” Miroku realized what was going on.
 
“Shhh, Sango, it's all right… It's only a dream. I'm right here…” His heart ached to see her in such mental anguish. He cradled the girl with his other arm, the one she wasn't already holding, and she snuggled into his chest once more, her sobs subsiding.
 
“I've got you Sango... I'll look after you… I'll wait…for you… forever…” Miroku yawned, then returned to his sleep, smiling.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
“I'm sorry…” Kareru's voice was muffled against InuYasha's chest. He set her down on the ground. The little girl's eyes were shiny with unshed tears.
 
“I'm sorry you had to see all these things. I was just doing what I was told to do…” InuYasha's face softened, and he lifted the little girl's chin so she was looking up at him.
 
“It's ok, kid. Like you said, you were just doing your job. Besides, I'm taking the wish back anyway, so none of this is going to happen. So cheer up, all right?” Kareru smiled at this statement.
 
“InuYasha… There's still one person we haven't seen in this time, you know? And you haven't even asked about them.” Inuyasha wrinkled his brow and thought hard. Someone we haven't seen…Not Kikyo, I know where she is…Then who? Oh…Inuyasha mentally slapped himself.
 
“Me. So, where have I been all this time? I know I haven't been searching for jewel shards, or trying to steal the jewel, because that's impossible. So what am I up to these days? Terrorizing people? Wreaking havoc? Or am I spending my days rescuing people?” They remounted Kilala, and Kareru whispered the next destination in her ear. The giant cat turned and looked at her.
 
“You know, if a cat could look astonished, I think it would be this look she's giving me right now. Just go there, Kilala, please?” Kilala mewed, then took off back in the direction of Kaede's village and the forest. Some of the smoke seemed to have cleared, but they didn't head into the village, they rode instead into the forest.
 
“So, I'm living in the forest, huh?” Inuyasha peered through the trees, looking for some kind of dwelling. Kareru kept silent, and Kilala kept throwing backward glances over her shoulder. Even she had figured out why they were going there. She landed near the bone-eaters well, then settled on the ground and shrank back into her small form after her two riders had dismounted. Inuyasha poked her with a toe.
 
“What's the matter, Kilala. Don't you want to see future me?” Kilala mewed, and curled her tails over her nose. End of conversation. InuYasha shrugged.
 
“Looks like it's just us. Let's go.” The two headed into the forest, walking towards the Spirit Tree. Then, Kareru stopped. Inuyasha frowned and looked at her.
 
“Why are we stopping? I don't see anything.” Kareru sighed deeply, and sat down on the forest floor.
 
“Think, InuYasha. Think hard. Kagome didn't come through the well, remember? And think hard about where you were when she came through the well and released you from Kikyo's spell. Which, by the way…” InuYasha had paled, and he clutched the trunk of the Spirit Tree to hold himself up.
 
“Never happened… I was never released from Kikyo's spell. Which means…” InuYasha peered up the tree, then ran around the trunk until he found the spot.
 
“Oh no…” He saw the red trousers and shirt made from the hair of the fire rat, half covered by tree roots and new branches…
 
“No, no, no, no…” The silver hair moving in the slight night breeze…
 
“Not this… anything but this…” The two dog-like ears twitching while he slept, eternally…
 
“Oh. Crap.”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
All righty, that's the end of Part 4! They're just getting longer and longer, aren't they? Sorry about that! Anyway, I know where I'm going with all this now, so it shouldn't take too long for me to finish up. I've got to tell you, the ending is going to be pretty awesome, lol!
 
The next bit is going to be an interlude in `mad world', then possibly the final battle and another couple of bits and pieces to finish up! Yay!
 
Thanks to my latest reviewers:
 
Hanajima
Deeg (inuyashalover1221)
animecrazedgirl - who actually reviewed me twice just to make it up to twelve reviews! Thanx!
 
Please remember to review this when you're done! Thank you!
Foxfire out!
catherinehgreen@gmail.com