InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Choices ❯ Interlude 2 - Catch Up ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Choices - by Foxfire79
 
Disclaimer: I'm never going to own InuYasha, so I may as well just stop trying to! Rumiko Takahashi owns InuYasha and all affiliated characters and what-not, except for the ones I made up myself. You know the ones. I don't think she's planning on selling him any time soon either… Too plum of an option, hehehe. Just to cover my butt, I also don't own any of the other copyrighted stuff I may or may not mention in these pages. Any one who says I do is a filthy liar!
 
Other stuff I still don't own (will work for, though):
Magic Mountain
An Elephant
A friend for the Elephant
 
I can dream, can't I? Now, back to the studio!
 
 
Interlude 2 - Catch Up
 
In Kagome's future
 
Kagome wiped the sweat from her brow as she drew back and let another arrow fly straight to the target. She grinned as it hit the centre again.
 
“Bulls eye! Again! This is the best birthday ever!”
 
That's excellent work Kagome - I can't believe just how far you've come along…
 
Kikyo's voice echoed through her head. Kagome scratched her head, and set her bow down on the ground, still grinning.
 
“I never would have been able to do any of this without your guidance, Kikyo. You're the only one who's stuck by me all through my troubles - sometimes I feel you're the only one who truly understands me… Except for Mom, and Gramps… and possibly Sota…” Kagome looked at her watch and sucked in a breath. It was five-thirty in the afternoon.
 
“Speaking of family, I should probably start to finish up here. It's getting late, and I think they wanted to start the party early-ish because it's a school night.” Kagome gathered her belongings together and headed back inside the club house.
 
“Lucky I brought my costume with me, I can just change into it here after my shower!” She entered the women's locker room and walked over to the showers. A shadowy figure appeared in the mirror over the bank of sinks along the far wall.
 
What costume will you be wearing to your party tonight? I believe it is the one thing you have managed to keep secret from me…
 
Kikyo's shadow disappeared after Kagome's answer.
 
“You'll see… And I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Feeling extremely refreshed after her shower, Kagome grinned as she surveyed the almost finished result of her costuming in the mirror.
 
“Don't peek yet, Kikyo. I'm just finishing off the last… few… touches…” she fiddled with the hair band, then tugged a few strands of hair loose over each ear, “There! Done! Ok, you can look now…” Kikyo's spectre appeared in the mirror beside Kagome, an astonished look on her face.
 
You're… me.
 
Kagome chuckled, then moved closer to the ghostly girl's reflection.
 
“It's pretty close, huh? I just had a little trouble with the hair, because mine is slightly wavier than yours. It seemed to straighten out quite nicely though.” Kikyo surveyed the modern girl's clothes.
 
This costume… It's the one that Okunara-sensei gave you last year, isn't it? It actually is a proper Miko's garb from my era, you know. It's possible that it actually was one of mine…
 
Kagome furrowed her brow, looking slightly confused.
 
“You weren't the only priestess around at the time, were you. Unless your clothes were different to all the other priestesses - were they?” Kikyo narrowed her eyes and thought.
 
No… But given the circumstances… The appearance of my own bow and quiver as your birthday present today was very unsettling… You could be right though.
 
“I sure could be right! Besides, last year Mr Okunara gave everybody those old fashioned costumes at the same time. He didn't even know it was my birthday.” Kagome looked away, rummaging through her bag looking for makeup. Kikyo's eyes remained narrowed.
 
Perhaps…or it could be that he knew all along. It was only after that that he started buying everybody gifts for their birthdays… he may have just been trying to cover his own foolish error…
 
“Oops! My phone - it's still turned off. I hope no-one's been trying to reach me!” Kagome pulled her mobile phone from her bag, and switched it on. The phone beeped at her, once, twice… five times.
 
“Five messages… I hope nothing's wrong….” Kagome held the phone up to her ear, listening to the first message.
 
Hi, Kagome? It's Eri! Listen, Mr Okunara let us all go home at lunch time today - I told you he was the coolest! So anyway, Yuka, Ayumi and myself are all going to get ready early and go help your mom set up for the party. I think she wants to get started around seven, seven-thirty so there's no need to hurry back. I can't wait to see your costume! Ok, I've got to go - See you there!” Kagome's eyes narrowed. Kikyo realized something was wrong, and peered into the girl's face.
 
What happened?
 
“Okunara let everyone leave at lunch time. He's never done that before. I wonder what he was thinking…” The second message began to play in Kagome's ear.
 
Kagome, hey, it's Hojo. Listen, I just wanted to make sure your appointment went all right today. You know I worry about you sometimes, and… Yeah… Anyway, that wasn't the only reason I called. All the teacher's at school are acting really bizarre. Right around lunch time, they all just sort of froze up, then collapsed on the ground. It seemed to happen in every class except Mr Okunara's. Apparently he left and dismissed the class just before it all happened. Just, um - call me later, ok? And I'll see you at your party. I, uh…I Love you…” Kagome blushed, then got her mind back on topic.
 
“Hojo says all the teacher's in the school collapsed just after Okunara dismissed the class. You were right Kikyo,” Kagome turned to the transparent girl beside her, “I think he must have had them under some kind of spell…” Kagome stopped speaking as the third message began to play.
 
Hello sweetie, it's mom. I got your note, and don't worry, you can borrow the vespa whenever you feel like it. Since you're still out, and you've got wheels, I was wondering if you could pick up some sugar and coffee grounds at the store before you come home. Your friend Eri called, she says she's coming to help me set up with some other friends of yours. It seems they've all gotten over that silliness from two years ago now… I'm just so glad that you have so many friends that care about you so deeply. My goodness, I'm rambling! Anyway, just remember - sugar and coffee grounds! See you soon - Love you!” Kagome's eyes misted over. Kikyo smiled.
 
Let me guess - a message from your mother.
 
Kagome nodded silently, as the fourth message began to play.
 
Hello Kagome, this is Doctor Sugimoto. Your teacher Mr Okunara is here with me. He tells me, you're not improving as much as I thought you were. He just showed me some terrible burns on his hands that he says YOU gave him this morning…” Kagome gasped, her eyes widening. Kikyo moved closer to the phone to hear the message herself.
 
He says that you… Excuse me, what are you doing? Don't stand so close to me… Where are the… burns? They're gone! Who are you? What do you…? ” There was a loud crash in the background noise of the message as something heavy was over turned. Kagome gasped as she heard Doctor Sugimoto scream.
 
“Oh no! Not her!” Kikyo sucked in a breath as the screams and crashes continued.
 
Kagome was right! You really are evil! What are those things? What happened to your hands?! Oh god! You're not even human! You're a monster! Aiko! Run away!” Kagome's eyes widened even more.
 
“What is he?” Kikyo looked even paler than usual.
 
Could it be…? Is that why I couldn't sense demon when we were around him?
 
“What are you thinking, Kikyo?” Kagome glanced at the ghostly girl.
 
Could he be… a half demon?
 
“Half demon? Is that poss…?” Kagome's voice died away as the Doctor's message continued. With one final scream of agony, then silence… then a very familiar voice.
 
Aiko won't be running anywhere, in her condition. And neither will the poor doctor. Kagome, how many people are you willing to let die before you give me what I'm after? It's only a jewel, after all. Why don't you just hand it over and die, like a good little student. I'll be seeing you soon.” The connection broke. Kagome's hands fisted at her sides.
 
“He killed them. He killed both of them. They didn't even have anything to do with this! It's not fair!” Kagome's eyes shone with angry tears, but she did not let them fall. She moved to press the `end' button on the phone, then the fifth message began to play.
 
…gome… don't go… ome… Kunara… wants to… kill you… you… have to be… ready… weapons… the arrows… found them… toilets… at school…it's…Mayu…me…” Kagome pressed replay and listened to the message again, confused.
 
“Is that… Mayume?” Kagome flashed back to the shorter girl who had helped her to the bathroom after escaping from Mr Okunara earlier. Mayume wasn't one of her closest friends, but she was always happy and helpful. She had even visited Kagome a few times when she's been in the hospital.
 
“He's started hurting my friends… Kikyo, there's a demon out there that somehow knows I have possession of the Shikon jewel, and it's started killing my friends. What does this mean?” Kikyo bowed her head, then raised it once more and looked at Kagome.
 
I think it means we're going to be facing our first major battle Kagome. Do you think you're up to the challenge?
 
Kikyo stared earnestly into Kagome's eyes. In the feudal era Miko priestess garb, the girl looked older and more sure of herself. She had a resolved look in her eye.
 
“I'm going to need weapons.” She grabbed her bag, and ran out of the gym towards her. Kikyo dissolved, returning to her residence inside Kagome's body.
 
Where are we going? You have weapons at home.
 
“We can't go home. I think… I think that's where Okunara is going. I need to have something with me before we get there. And I know a place, thanks to Mayume, where I have some pretty good equipment stashed.” Kagome placed the helmet over her head and revved the small scooter's engine.
 
School?
 
“Yes - school.”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kagome received a lot of strange looks as she rode the vespa, in full priestess costume, through the streets of Tokyo. She hardly noticed though. In her mind, the names of her friends and family were ringing over and over. Mom, Gramps, Sota, Hojo, Eri, Yuka, Ayumi, Mayume, Dr Sugimoto, Aiko… Please don't let any more of them die…
 
She reached the school, and was extremely surprised to see the parking lot still full of the faculty cars. Oh, that's right… Hojo said all the teacher's collapsed. They wouldn't have been able to drive home… they're probably all in hospital. That Okunara is so evil… he doesn't care how many people he hurts…
 
Kagome parked the scooter on the footpath outside the main entrance and ran into the school. Her footsteps echoed as she pounded down the empty hallways heading towards the girls' bathroom. She glanced through the open doors of the classrooms as she swept by, seeing piles of papers askew and other clues that the teachers had all been taken away in a hurry. I hope they're all right, wherever they are. None of them deserved this…
 
She skidded to a halt outside the bathroom, noticing a large dent in the rank of lockers standing against the wall alongside. I wonder what happened there…
 
Kagome barged through the bathroom door, then stopped, her mouth dropping open.
 
“Ma… MAYUME!” The once smiling girl was curled up on the floor, clutching a mobile phone in one hand and the bow and quiver in the other. Where her head lay a small pool of blood was starting to spread across the white tiled floor. Her eyes were half closed… her mouth was hanging open slightly…
 
“Oh no… Mayume! Please don't be dead…?” Kagome rushed forward, taking the bow and quiver out of her hand so she could hold it. Mayume's hand was cold. Kikyo appeared opposite Kagome, crouching on the ground next to the girl, mirroring her stance.
 
She is gone… No, wait… I was mistaken… Look!
 
The wavering shape of a school uniform clad girl was starting to form beside Kikyo. The girl looked surprised to see two Kagome's before her.
 
Kagome…?
 
Kagome looked at the wavering form in shock. Was it… Mayume's ghost?
 
“Mayume? Is that you?” The spirit smiled, then held out the phone in her hand.
 
“You left me a message, that's right! But it was so faint, I could hardly make out what you were saying.” The ghost smiled again, and gestured to Kagome to listen to her. She began to recite the message from the beginning again.
 
Kagome…Don't go home. Mr Okunara wants to kill you. You have to be ready. You need weapons. I found the arrows and the bow. I'm injured, I'm in the toilets at school. Oh, it's Mayume here… ” The phone in her hand disappeared, and the ghost-girl looked sadly at Kagome, her hands hanging at her sides. She motioned toward the injury on her head, pointing to the body on the floor.
 
“Did Mr Okunara do that to you?” Mayume's ghost nodded, pointing out the door toward the dented lockers. Kagome absorbed this knowledge.
 
“He threw you against the lockers… and that's how you hit your head.” The ghost nodded again. She motioned toward a number of smaller, rounder wounds situated on her arms and legs. Kagome looked at them, confused.
 
“I don't understand - did he stab you as well. Did he have a knife?” Kikyo looked at the wounds, then looked up at Kagome.
 
They are stab wounds indeed, but not from a knife. There are small splinters in each of these holes. If anything, I'd say these came from tree branches, or possibly tree roots… Something of that sort. And most definitely not from this world.
 
The ghost girl nodded, then looked between the two girls confused. Kagome's heart went out to the poor dead girl. But there just wasn't time for an explanation.
 
“Yeah, there's two of me. It's my costume party, remember?” The ghost girl nodded again, and a tear slid down her cheek. There would be no more parties for Mayume.
 
“Ok, so we know that Okunara can shape shift into a sort of tree demon, and that he'll kill indiscriminately until he gets the jewel. Kikyo, any ideas on how this guy knows you?”
 
I have no recollection of ever having met anyone by the name of Okunara before coming to this school…
 
Mayume's ghost suddenly started jumping up and down, waving her arms. Kikyo turned to Kagome with a slightly amused look on her face.
 
I think your friend is trying to tell you something, Kagome.
 
Kagome looked back up the uniform clad spectre. Mayume was shaking her head, furiously.
 
“No… no what? Is it about his name?” The ghost smiled and nodded furiously.
 
“Ok, so… his name isn't Okunara, is that what you're trying to say?”
 
The ghostly girl smiled, jumped up and down, and spun in a circle. Kagome chuckled.
 
“Hey, calm down! So… Do you know what it is?” Mayume's ghost nodded, and motioned toward her leg. Kagome looked down, and studied the dead girl's limb.
 
“I don't know what you want me to see, Mayume. Is your leg a clue?” The ghost motioned for her to lift the skirt of her uniform. Kagome gingerly slid the skirt up an inch. She glimpsed a spot of red on the leg, then looked closer. `Ku'? What does that mean? Kagome slid the skirt a little higher, then understood.
 
“You knew you wouldn't be able to hold on until I got here… so you wrote it on your leg. Oh Mayume… I'm so sorry I let this… happen to you…” Kagome's voice cracked, but that was the only clue as to how she was feeling. Mayume's ghost smiled, then blew a kiss and disappeared.
 
“She's gone.” Kagome gathered up the bow and arrows, leaving her backpack in the bathroom. She wouldn't be needing it again. Kikyo reentered her body, and she made her way to the bathroom door. Kagome threw one look back at the body of her friend on the floor.
 
“I'm going to find him. I'm going to find him, and I'm going to destroy him. For Aiko, Dr Sugimoto, and now for you too Mayume. I'm going to kill Okunara!” She ran back outside to the scooter and mounted up, not bothering with the helmet this time. She stopped for a moment.
 
“Kikyo, should I call an ambulance for Mayume? I hate to just leave her body up there, after all the help she just gave us.” Kikyo's voice echoed in her head.
 
Wait until after you're done with Okunara. There will be time to deal with many loose ends after you win.
 
“Kikyo… what if we don't win?” Kagome stared straight ahead as she steered toward home. She slowed at some traffic lights.
 
Of course you will win. You've beaten all those other demons we've fought, even though none of them seemed as powerful as Okunara. This time shouldn't be any different. Just believe in your power.
 
“My power…” Kagome smiled tightly, as she screeched through the lights. “I like the sound of that.”
 
She pulled in around the next corner and stopped the scooter, dismounting quickly and running into the corner store. She ran up to the counter to the extremely surprised looking store clerk.
 
“Excuse me? Where are the sugar and coffee grounds kept?” He pointed down the third aisle and Kagome dashed down there, grabbed what she needed and ran back to the counter. The clerk eyed her off as she paid.
 
“So… what's with the costume?” Kagome looked down at herself and almost laughed. She'd nearly forgotten about the priestess costume she was wearing. She smiled at the clerk and answered.
 
“Costume party. It's my birthday. Thank you!” She ran back out of the store and leapt onto the scooter, tearing off down the street at full speed. The clerk grinned to himself and ran a hand through his hair.
 
“I wonder if all feudal priestesses were that hot?”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Kagome rode the scooter at breakneck speed toward her home, her hair flying out behind her.
 
“Please let everyone be ok, please let everyone be ok, please…?” This was her mantra as she rode. The bow and arrows beat against her back as the wind whipped across them, and the necklace that Hojo had given her felt cool against her skin as the air ran over it. She had a slight pain in her side as the jewel registered that she was readying for battle. She imagined it would be suffusing her with power before she finally met up with Okunara, and fought him, and destroyed him… Okunara… The bad teacher who turned out to be a demon. At least everyone will have to believe me now…They'll know I wasn't crazy, talking about demons and jewels and priestesses all this time. They'll know it was real.
 
“Okunara… That's not even your real name… Mayume found out, and she left it to me as her last gift. A fitting birthday present for me. When I face you, I'm going to call you out by your real name…” Kagome's hair whipped across her face in the wind, but she hardly noticed. Her eyes were on the prize.
 
“Naraku!”
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
The Higurashi Shrine
 
The man with the long, wavy black hair stood at the base of the stairs which led up to the shrine. His dark blue robes shifted in the breeze as he waited for his associates to arrive. With a large gust of wind, two figures suddenly appeared beside him.
 
“Are we late?” The tall woman with the jade earrings looked at him coolly. He glared at her, his violet eyes changing to a much more suitable red. He slapped her across the face, and the woman cried out and staggered to the side. The smaller of the two figures stepped in front of her.
 
“Forgive Kagura, my Lord. After five hundred years, she longs for freedom…” The small girl's voice was like a whisper. She looked up at her master, her white hair cascading down her back, dark eyes wide and innocent. He grabbed her by her shoulders, and shook her.
 
“Do you also wish for freedom, Kanna? Do you wish to be free of your master?!” Kanna blinked, her face showing no expression.
 
“I wish for nothing, my Lord. That is the way you made me.” He relaxed and placed the child back on the ground. He straightened his shoulders, threw his hair back proudly and surveyed his servants. Kagura of the Wind, one check reddening and a sullen look on her face, and Kanna with her soul stealing mirror.
 
“Truth be told, I actually did miss you two. Are you ready to do some old fashioned slaughtering?” The two women smiled craftily and bowed their heads.
 
“As you wish, Lord Naraku.” They answered in unison. The trio walked sedately up the steps toward Higurashi shrine, and Kagome's birthday celebration. They reached the front door of the house, and Naraku knocked at the door. Mrs Higurashi opened the door.
 
“Oh, hello? Are you here for the party too?” Naraku smiled. His eyes crinkled in a friendly fashion as he and his two companions entered the house.
 
“Oh yes, didn't Kagome tell you? I'm her teacher, Mr Okunara, this is my wife, Kagura, and our little girl, Kanna.” Kanna stepped forward and curtsied sweetly.
 
“It's very nice to make your acquaintance, Mrs Higurashi. Thank you for letting us into your home.” Kanna smiled beautifully, and Mrs Higurashi melted.
 
“Well, aren't you just the cutest little… Please, come in, and make yourselves at home.” Mrs Higurashi shepherded them into the lounge room, where Eri, Yuka and Ayumi were hanging up the last of the streamers.
 
“Hello girls,” Naraku smiled at the three girls. They turned, smiled, and blushed, to see him looking so handsome.
 
“Good evening Sir!” They exclaimed, massing toward him, turning around and showing him their costumes. Kanna wandered out of the room, and walked up the stairs towards Sota's room. Kagura followed Mrs Higurashi into the kitchen, on the pretence of helping her prepare the food for the party.
 
Outside, the fairy lights wrapped around the stair banisters twinkled and shone. The paper lantern's strung from the wooden gate swirled in the early evening breeze. The first guests started to mass at the bottom of the steps, waiting for some others to show up before they walked up, arms full of gifts and hearts full of good wishes.
 
And Kagome rode through the streets of Tokyo, looking for a store that sold sugar and coffee…
 
The time was seven fifteen pm. And the party was about to get started.
 
**** **** **** **** ****
 
Um. Well, this was supposed to be a three page interlude, but as you can see, it kind of got away from me! I'm still calling it an interlude though. This is what happened to Kagome while InuYasha was having visions of death and destruction, by the way. Ok, so the way it stands right now, they're probably going to be two or three more parts still, then the story will be done. In theory anyway.
 
Thanks to my latest reviewers:
 
Wow
TwiceTheInsanity (Who didn't actually read the story, but brought my review count up to 14! Thanks!)
 
Please remember to review this when you're done! The next part will have InuYasha in it again, I promise!
 
Foxfire out!
catherinehgreen@gmail.com