InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Collected Works ❯ Memoirs of the Mikos ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Memoirs of the Mikos
Author: LuxKen27
Universe: Canon (post manga)
Word length (free): 1829
Rating: K+
Warnings: None
Summary: Kagome’s mother receives a special gift, three years after her daughter leaves.

Entry for: iyfic_contest Week 167, “Memoir” prompt (1st Place)

Disclaimer: The Inuyasha concept, story, and characters are copyright Rumiko Takahashi and Viz Media.

~*~

Sota furrowed his brow. “Are you sure, Mama?”

His mother gave him a reassuring smile. “Go, Sota! We’ll be fine.”

Her words didn’t appear to bolster his confidence. “But I’m worried about Jii-chan. Are you sure you can take care of him on your own?” He clutched the strap of his bag. They were standing on the platform in the train station, huddled together as the rush-hour crowd swarmed around them.

She embraced him, giving him a firm squeeze. “I’ve been taking care of him all of these years by myself, haven’t I? We both want what’s best for you, and being accepted into such a prestigious program is what’s best! We’re both so proud of what you’ve accomplished so far, and you have your whole future ahead of you.”

He attempted to protest, but she cut him off. “Sota, I promise…if things get any worse, I’ll send for you.”

Finally, he relented, returning her hug with surprising force. She basked in the moment, wanting to hold him close forever, and yet knowing it was time to let him go.

The warning bell rang, and she reluctantly let him go. “I love you, Mama,” he whispered. Before he could change his mind, he redoubled his grip on his bag and turned toward the train that would take him to university. She watched as he boarded and made his way into one of the cars, her heart heavy with pride and sadness. It’s always hard to let them go, she thought wistfully, giving him a final wave as the train began to move.

Mrs. Higurashi walked out of the station a few moments later, her stride slow and thoughtful. She’d known this day would come, but it didn’t make it any easier. With Sota packed off to school, and Kagome away and married, she faced the reality of returning to an almost-empty home. No matter how much she tried to prepare herself for it – mentally, emotionally – now that the moment was here…it was still quite difficult. The last quarter of a century, she’d been a wife and mother, and now, with her husband long gone and her babies off on their own, it was time to discover her next role in life.

She smiled as she slowly wound her way through the busy streets, towards the shrine that had become her second home. Memories of her life surrounded her as she walked, drawn to her mind by the familiar landmarks: the park that was her husband’s favorite place to spend time, the hall where they were married, the hospital where she’d given birth, the schools her children had attended. As the gates of the shrine came into view, she remembered how intimidated she’d been when she visited for the first time. Her future husband squeezed her hand and said, “They’ll love you, and you’ll love them.”

How true his words proved. The bond that formed between her and his parents only strengthened as time went on. It had seen them through many happy times, and many miserable ones. Now, it was just her and her father-in-law, left to look after the rambling place – and each other.

“I’m home,” she called as she walked into the kitchen. There was no response, but that was to be expected. Jii-chan was probably in his room, resting. He was growing progressively weaker and was unable to perform many of the duties around the shrine that had become the focus of his life. This made him irritable, but Mrs. Higurashi took it in stride. It showed his mind was still sharp, even if his body wasn’t.

She prepared a quick tea and gathered everything on a tray, heading for his room. No doubt he’s taking Sota’s departure hard, too, she mused. He’d been almost inconsolable when Kagome left, even though they all knew it was for the best. She’d been so unhappy during her last few years here …

Kagome…

She stopped outside her father-in-law’s door, bowing her head for a moment. It’d been three years since Kagome left, but time had not eased the ache in her heart. Not being able to see her, to know what she’s doing or thinking or feeling…that’s the hardest part.

Slowly, she eased the door open, momentarily taken aback to find the room empty. “Jii-chan?” she called, setting the tray on the table just inside the door. “Where are you?”

She wandered through the rest of the first floor, her worry becoming slightly frantic as he was nowhere to be found. She hesitated but for a moment at the stairs, before pushing on. Surely he didn’t come up here? she wondered, poking her head in the rooms. This floor had been the domain of her children, and it was now eerily quiet.

“Jii-chan?” She pushed open the door of her daughter’s room. “Are you in here?”

Her breath caught as she looked inside, the dying rays of the sun glowing through the pane of the window. Her eyes swept over the room, absolutely unchanged in Kagome’s absence: swathed in pink and frills, home to so many books, papers, and knick-knacks that had defined her daughter’s childhood. Her high school diploma was hanging proudly over the desk. The bed was slightly rumpled, looking as though someone had rose out of it only this morning, instead of years ago.

Slowly, as if in a trance, she stepped into the room, running her hand lightly over the surfaces of the furniture, the walls, the framed pictures scattered on her bedside table. Tucked inside the closet was the mystical longbow she’d carried on her travels between the eras, the one that had first signaled her return through the well after three horrible, lost days.

“Oh, Kagome,” Mrs. Higurashi sighed, picking up the ancient weapon, letting her fingers slide down the smooth wooden frame. “I miss you so much.” The hollow ache spread through her chest as she stood there, holding the very symbol of her daughter’s absence. I hope you’re happy, she added silently as tears welled behind her eyes.

She heard a rustle of fabric as someone approached her from behind. “I thought I’d find you in here,” came a thin voice, laced with much bemusement.

“Jii-chan,” she breathed, turning around. “Where have you been?”

He ignored her question, taking her arm and gently leading her over to Kagome’s bed. “It’s hard letting them go, isn’t it?” he murmured, slowly sinking down next to her.

She nodded, laying the bow across her lap. “Sota didn’t want to leave you.”

Jii-chan gave a short laugh. “Really, now? Considering all of these years, how much he’s resisted lessons on shrine duties…this would’ve been the perfect time to trap him,” he joked, slamming his fist against his palm. “Wait until they’re vulnerable, and move in for the kill!”

“Jii-chan, really,” she protested, grateful to have a reason to smile, even in this sad moment. “You’re positively ruthless!”

He gave her a shrewd look. “You have to be sometimes, to get through these tough moments.”

She looked down, wrapping her hands around the bow once more, hesitant to ask the question that rose to her lips. Jii-chan continued to watch her thoughtfully as she debated with herself, finally heaving a large sigh and patting her shoulder as firmly as he could.

“Out with it, girl. You’ve never been good at holding your emotions in.”

“Was it like this when he died?” she burst out, catching him by surprise. “Does it ever get any easier? Do you ever stop missing your child, even after they’re forever beyond your reach?”

Jii-chan’s eyes softened as he regarded his daughter-in-law. “You never completely get over the loss of a child,” he said matter-of-factly. “But my son’s death and Kagome’s absence aren’t the same.” He paused, letting his gaze drift past her. “You know that Kagome is alive and well somewhere, living a full life, being happy and healthy with the one she loves.”

Mrs. Higurashi nodded, gripping the bow once more. “That’s the hardest part, I think,” she murmured. “I wonder what she’s doing. Does she have children of her own? What kind of life is she living?” She wiped away a tear. “Is she still alive?”

Jii-chan cleared his throat. “You asked me earlier where I was,” he said abruptly. “Actually, I was out in the old storeroom, looking for something very specific.”

She looked at him incredulously. “The old storeroom?” she gasped. “But it’s at the far end of the shrine! And you know those old things are musty and moldy. What on earth were you looking for?!”

“This.” Carefully, he dug into his kosode, pulling out a positively ancient scroll. The vellum was yellowed with age, crackling dangerously as he slowly unrolled it.

“What is this?” she asked, taking one end as he continued to unravel it.

“This is called Memoirs of the Mikos,” he said. “It is a written account of the oral tradition that has been passed down from generation to generation of Higurashi. A family history, if you will.” He ran one withered finger across the length of the page. “It was recorded in the early 1800s, and contains stories and histories of all of the priests and priestesses who have served these grounds, going all the way back to ancient times.”

Her heart caught in her chest as she found a familiar name among the antique kanji. “Kagome?” she breathed.

Jii-chan gave her a satisfied smile. “Indeed,” he confirmed. “I’ve spent the last three years looking over all of our family memories and treasures, and have been witness to an amazing transformation. Everything of ours connected to this shrine – and particularly, that well – has been changing. Texts have been revised, objects have appeared or disappeared.” He nodded his head in spite of her skeptical look. “Yes, it’s all true! It’s taken me all this time to find this last piece of the puzzle. I knew if I found this document and it had changed as well, that I wasn’t going crazy.”

“But…” Mrs. Higurashi felt at a loss for words. “How can this be?!”

Jii-chan could only shrug. “The spell of the Shikon no Tama was finally broken,” he speculated. “Kagome’s presence in the Feudal Era means the story of Kikyo and Inuyasha is complete, and indeed, is being carried on.” He handed her his end of the scroll and stood. “I’ll leave you to discover what your daughter has been up to since she left us.”

She didn’t know what to do. Her eyes blurred with tears once again, and she glanced up. “Thank you,” she said in a hushed voice.

Jii-chan gave her a small smile as he leaned against the doorway of the room. “Consider it returning the favor, for seeing me through my own loss,” he replied. “You’ve been so good to me in the years since my dear son departed. I vowed that if I could ever do anything even close to that for you, I would.”