InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Complexities of Fate ❯ Defense Mechanisms ( Chapter 16 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Author's Note:
 
Thank you, thank you for the reviews. I'm forever grateful to those who took the time to leave messages. I'll answer your question when I post the next chapter. Arrghh… Damn headache! Bear with me and keep on reviewing. I nearly failed to finish and post this chapterbut I know you'll be disappointed if I delay so I hope you enjoy this chapter because I virtually blew my head trying to finish it. Hehehehe! Thanks.
 
 
~aryanna~
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 16: DEFENSE MECHANISMS
 
 
 
“Are you okay? You have dark circles under your eyes.” Sango commented as they sat at their usual table during lunch.
 
“I'm okay, I'm burning my brows trying to cram those damn chemical formulas into my head.” Kagome retorted. She had decided that instead of moping around and lusting (yes, lusting) after Inuyasha, she'd just spend her free time studying for the finals which is a mere six days away.
 
“Wow, are you trying to challenge Inuyasha's academic lead?” Sango asked.
 
“Duh,”
 
“So why are you studying hard then?”
 
“Hello Sango, have you heard of the word `future'? I'm doing this for my sake and not to dethrone his majesty, Inuyasha Hirohito, the boy genius.” The damn sexy boy genius. Kagome's mind amended and Kagome brutally munched her tuna sandwich. Shut-up subconscious! Oh crap, I'm losing my mind!
 
“You're still not talking to each other?” Sango asked again as Miroku sat beside her.
 
“No.”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because there are better things to do than talk to him,” Kagome answered. Besides, dreaming about him constantly dancing like that is way too much already. Just way too much…
 
“Like what?”
 
“Like studying chemical formulas and memorizing Newton's laws of physics or having a date with the Pythagorean theory.” Kagome answered yawning.
 
“You're getting scary, Kagome-sama.” Miroku said as he draped his arm around Sango.
 
“And you'd better be scared monk if you don't take that arm off me.” Sango said without emotion.
 
“Come on, love you don't have to be shy around Kagome.” Miroku joked and Sango `accidentally' toppled her glass of water on Miroku's lap.
 
“Gee, Miroku you're wet.” Sango commented as Kohaku and Souta laughed.
 
“Oh woman, be thankful I love you so much.” Miroku said as he stood up and left the table.
 
“That was mean, Sango.” Kagome said as she watched Miroku leave.
 
“He deserves it.”
 
“For being affectionate?” Kagome asked, eyeing her friend warily.
 
“For being a leech.”
 
“Come on, why go out with the guy if you want him to be a planet far from you.” Kagome said unbelievingly.
 
“I just wish he keeps his hand to himself.” Sango replied, pouting.
 
“Are you sure that's the reason?” Kagome asked.
 
“Hey Kohaku, Souta, aren't you leaving yet?” Sango called at their brothers much to Kagome's surprise.
 
“Okay, okay, we got the hint. Time for girly talks.” Kohaku replied as he and Souta left the table.
 
“Hmm…this is juicier than I thought.” Kagome said as she grinned at her friend.
 
“Ummm….”
 
“Come on, spill it out.”
 
“I like it too much…” Sango said blushing.
 
“What do you like too much?” Kagome asked, puzzled.
 
“Him touching me,” Sango whispered.
 
“Oh…” Kagome replied in a whisper.
 
“Have you…?”
 
“No, we have not had sex for crying out loud!” Sango yelled standing up and the students stared at her and laughed.
 
“Kill me already…” Sango said as she covered her face with her hands.
 
“That wasn't what I was about to ask but thanks for the info.' Kagome replied grinning.
 
“What did I miss?” Miroku came back, his pants considerably less soggy, and sat beside Sango.
 
“You, you leech!” Sango hissed as she bonked Miroku on the head.
 
“What did I do?” Miroku asked as Kagome helped him to his feet and Sango stormed out of the cafeteria.
 
“She likes what you do too much.” Kagome replied simply.
 
“Huh?”
 
“Miroku, sly guy…tsk!” Kagome joked as she winked at a confused Miroku and proceeded to follow Sango.
 
“WHAT?!” Miroku asked loudly as Kagome sprinted towards the door.
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Inuyasha twirled his pen around his hand as he watched Kagome answer the problem on the board. She has gotten good. Inuyasha told himself as he solved the Math problem in his head.
 
Ah, quit staring. Kagome thought as she felt Inuyasha bore holes in her back. Quit staring, dammit! Please? She thought as her hand gripped the white board marker tightly. She knows she's running away and she felt like a fool but she thought she'd feel like a fool more if she let herself fall for him deeper while watching him fall for someone else.
 
Inuyasha sensed Kagome's nervousness and raised his brow. She's doing it right, what is she nervous about? He thought as he watched Kagome approach her seat. As always, for almost three weeks, she kept her face averted.
 
Dammit this baka. Kagome prevented herself from squirming as Inuyasha openly stared at her. Gods! She said as she took out her notebook and wrote nothing.
 
Inuyasha sniffed the air and frowned. She smells angry and excited. Excited? Why? He thought as he turned to her, supporting his head with his hand. Kagome gritted her teeth as Inuyasha proceeded to stare at her. Oh crap!
 
“What?!” Kagome yelled as she turned to face Inuyasha.
 
“Detention Higurashi.” Mrs. Akatsu, their Math teacher lazily called.
 
Oh this is so annoying, Monday and detention sounded more of a death sentence and it's because of this baka! Kagome thought as she tightened her grip on her pen listening to her classmates laugh.
 
“Sir, can I have detention too?” Inuyasha asked raising his hand and Kagome narrowed her eyes. What are you up to?!
 
“Why?”
 
“Because I provoked Higurashi so it's only fair that I'd be given the same punishment she's given.” Inuyasha answered not really sure about his intentions. What the hell, we badly need to talk!
 
“Are you sure, Hirohito?” Mr. Akatsu asked lowering his glasses to stare at a serious-looking Inuyasha.
 
“No, he's kidding.” Kagome suddenly said realizing Inuyasha's plan. “I take full responsibility of my actions, no one is to be blamed but me.” Kagome hastily said as the class looked on with bafflement.
 
“No sir, I goaded her so it's only right that I share her punishment.” Inuyasha retorted.
 
“It's okay, Hirohito…really.” Kagome glared at her seatmate.
 
“Bitch, shut up.” Inuyasha whispered and Kagome's aura flared. Inuyasha smiled. Take the bait, Kagome.
 
“You ass!”
 
YES! Inuyasha thought as he looked at Kagome with knowing eyes. Hook, line and sinker.
 
“Okay enough! Higurashi! Hirohito! Detention! NOW!”
 
“I told you, you couldn't outsmart me.” Inuyasha whispered as they exited the classroom to get their detention slips.
 
“Yes, but I could blast you to the moon. Wouldn't that be more exciting?” Kagome said sweetly as she opened her palm.
 
“Do it Kagome and we'll both get detention again. I never knew you're this desperate to spend time with me…” Inuyasha smirked as Kagome cursed and closed her palm.
 
“You, conceited, obstinate….MAMMOTH!!” Kagome yelled as she kicked Inuyasha's shin and left him hopping in the corridor.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Kagome opened her Physics book and started to study not paying any attention to Inuyasha.
 
Oh, I'm so going to kill him! Kagome thought as she took her notebook out. I'm alone with him and….And? Kagome bit her lip, not liking where her thoughts were taking her. She was busy writing important notes on her notebook when a crumpled paper landed on her lap. She pursed her lips and ignored it as another ball of paper hit her on the head.
 
I really would love to kill you now but you're too damn sexy to die. She said to herself and blushed. What the hell is wrong with me?
 
“Kagome…” Inuyasha called growing frustrated by the second when Kagome preferred to read and ignore him.
 
“Oi, wench!” No response.
 
“Higurashi.” He tried again and he stood next to her chair this time but Kagome did not even bat an eyelash.
 
“Ka-go-me!” Inuyasha blew in Kagome's ear and the Miko slammed her book down and jumped on the hanyou making him fall to the floor. She straddled his waist and fisted his uniform bringing his face close to hers.
 
“What the hell is wrong with you, why won't you just let me be?! Why don't you just ogle that bitch and let live me in peace?!” Kagome yelled in Inuyasha's face not noticing the position that they were in.
 
“I was trying to talk to you…” Inuyasha replied swallowing as he felt Kagome's weight on his stomach. Her scent was turning his brain into mush.
 
“Fine, if you are so insistent, talk!” Kagome hissed not moving and not letting go of Inuyasha.
 
“Ummm….” Inuyasha swallowed looking at Kagome's exposed thigh and slightly unbuttoned blouse.
 
“What?!” Kagome asked shaking Inuyasha in frustration not realizing that her action had made her skirt hitch higher and that two of her blouse's buttons became unfastened.
 
“Ummm…” Inuyasha stammered as Kagome's sudden movement brought her chest closer to his face.
 
“What is it, lost your tongue? I'm so mad at you! It's bad enough that you distract me in my dreams dancing almost naked every night, you just had to distract me in the land of the breathing and living too!” Kagome spat.
 
Inuyasha's eyes widened as the meaning of her words sunk in and Kagome upon realizing what she said stopped moving. Oh my, I just said that aloud, didn't I? Kagome thought as she slowly let go of Inuyasha's uniform. Inuyasha grabbed her shoulder for leverage and she put her hand against his chest in reflex. She stared at Inuyasha for a second and looked at where she was sitting and yelped, blushing furiously. Just then the door opened.
 
“Higurashi, Hirohito…”
 
Oh my God! Kagome thought as she looked at the open door unable to move.
 
“What is the meaning of this?!” Mr. Yakamura, the gym teacher demanded as Ms. Kaede Obacha, the principal looked Kagome straddling Inuyasha with hair disheveled, blouse unbuttoned and a hand on the boy's chest. Neither Inuyasha nor Kagome move as they stared petrified at their teacher and principal. Just then Mr. Miyazaki, their Japanese Literature teacher, accompanied by three freshman students carrying test papers, walked in and stopped.
 
“Oh,” Mr. Miyazaki said as the students gaped.
 
“I….I….” Kagome stammered as she slowly got off Inuyasha. She was trembling so bad, she was incapable of speech.
 
“Hirohito, Higurashi, come with me.” Ms. Kaede announced. “And Higurashi, button your blouse.”
 
Crap! Kagome thought as she looked at her unbuttoned blouse in horror. She stared at the students who were whispering at each other and the teachers who were looking at them with a mixture of amusement and disapproval in their eyes. Great, will the floor open up and swallow me now?!
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Inuyasha and Kagome quietly followed the principal to her office. Inuyasha glanced at Kagome who looked like she was about to faint.
 
“Sit down both of you.” Ms. Kaede requested and Inuyasha watched Kagome sink to her chair like an empty sack.
 
Mama is going to kill me. Detention on a Monday, and straddling a boy in a half-opened blouse on the same day. Ji-chan will have a fit. Will those students tell others? Eepp, embarrassing but I could handle that.
 
She's taking this bad. Inuyasha thought and he could not help the guilty feeling that consumed him.
 
“Okay, tell me what happened back there.” Ms. Kaede asked and she looked at Kagome with pity and understanding in her eyes.
 
I will be kicked out and Ji-chan will be disappointed. What will Souta say? I bet he'll lecture me about the evils of sleeping on the same bed with a man prior to marriage. Who will look after my brother?
 
“We were not doing anything.” Inuyasha said.
 
Mama will not say anything, just look at me with understanding in her eyes. She would understand, she always understands and she always forgives which makes it all worst. I'm so dead.
 
“I'm so dead.” Kagome muttered more to herself.
 
“Nobody is going to die, Higurashi.” Ms. Kaede replied gently.
 
This baka! How dare he taunt me! What if I get expelled? I will miss Sango and Miroku and I'm sure that bitch, Kikyo will throw a party when I'm gone!
 
“She accidentally fell on me…” Inuyasha supplied.
 
I should just have `accidentally' kick your ass…
 
“I'm so dead….” Kagome continued with her monotone, her eyes slightly glazed.
 
“And accidentally straddled you?” Ms. Kaede asked.
 
Yes, that kinda sounds impossible….
 
“That…that..was…” Inuyasha stammered.
 
Oh, poor baby, he's scared. He deserves it!
 
“Unless Higurashi fell from the ceiling, I don't see how she would end up straddling you.” Ms. Kaede said looking at Inuyasha's blush.
 
Hahaha! Did Kaede just say that? Wow, our principal has a sense of humor, wooohooo! Wait, I shouldn't be rejoicing, I have to say something helpful like…
 
“I lunged at him.” Kagome weakly volunteered.
 
“Oh, you did. Why?” Asked Ms. Kaede.
 
No, actually, I had all the intentions of raping him and getting it over with because I'm falling in love with him when I'm not supposed to because he's in love with that bitch but what the hell…? Tsk, my subconscious has sexual frustration issues. Sexual frustration issues? Hahahaha! I'm so funny, I just wish I'm smart enough to worm out of this!
 
“She was mad at me.” Inuyasha half-whispered.
 
Ah, the genius boy is astute.
 
“Why was she mad at you?”
 
Good question, Ms. Kaede.
 
“I provoked her.”
 
Oh, you did, didn't you, baka?!
 
“Why did you?”
 
Because he's a stupid ass!
 
“Because he's a stupid ass!” Kagome hissed, her temper returning full force. Kaede watched as Kagome's aura crackled and hummed while Inuyasha's hovered around it, almost in a comforting manner.
 
“Because you won't talk to me!” Inuyasha retorted.
 
“Because you're a baka!” Kagome spat.
 
“You're immature!” Inuyasha bit out, his temper rising. None of this would have happened if she did not ignore me in the first place!
 
“Who's immature?! I was not the one who freaked out because my brother grasped my friend's hand!” Kagome angrily said.
 
“I was not angry that my half-brother touched you! You think so highly of yourself!” Inuyasha denied, his cheeks staining at her accusation.
 
“What is it then, Inuyasha? Are you jealous? Newsflash, I have no sexual or romantic intentions towards your intended so get your nose off my case!” Kagome yelled her aura flaring and Inuyasha's momentarily receded.
 
“Don't drag Kikyo into this!”
 
“Who dragged who into what?!”
 
“Kikyo, she's not part of this conversation!”
 
“Yes, she's not for I don't see her anywhere! You moron!”
 
“Of course you don't, she's too smart to be called to detention on Monday unlike somebody I know!” Inuyasha spat.
 
“She is smart, isn't she?” Kagome said calmly feeling her head grow hot. Kaede watched Kagome's aura push Inuyasha's.
 
“Are you going to blast me now?!” Inuyasha asked noticing how Kagome clenched and unclenched her hand.
 
“I would if you're worth the trouble but you're not worth anything.” Kagome replied as she tried to control her temper.
 
“Am I now? I was never good enough for you, wasn't I? I was never good enough for her highness, the all powerful Miko Kagome Higurashi!”
 
“You're right. You never were.”
 
“Good, a least now that's out in the open.” Inuyasha replied as he pushed his hurt and disappointment away.
 
“Ahem, can I say something?” Ms. Kaede interrupted as she looked at the heaving teenagers whose auras were fusing and separating causing her some serious headache.
 
“No.” Kagome said, her eyes stinging with unshed tears.
 
“No?” Ms. Kaede repeated as she felt Kagome's aura flare once again. Kagome closed her eyes for a minute and the aura retreated.
 
“We're sorry for the display of temper, Ma'am. I will face whatever punishment the school sees fit to give.” Kagome replied.
 
“Ms. Higurashi…”
 
“Will we be expelled?” Kagome asked, keeping the dread off her voice.
 
“No, you won't.”
 
“Will we be punished?” Kagome asked again.
 
“I'll think about that. Ms. Higurashi.”
 
“Okay, can I be transferred to another section?” Kagome asked hesitantly and Inuyasha's head snapped to her direction.
 
“That's not possible at all, Ms. Higurashi. It is school rules that the students remain in the same section till they graduate.
 
“Oh,”
 
“Do you have anything else to say to us, Ma'am?” Inuyasha interrupted.
 
“No, that would be all.”
 
“Thank you, Ma'am. I am so sorry for the trouble we caused and thank you for giving me another chance.” Kagome said as she stood up and bowed before the principal.
 
“No problem, Higurashi. Tell your grandfather I said hello.”
 
“I will, Ma'am. Thank you.” Kagome said as she opened the door and let herself out leaving Inuyasha behind.
 
“Yes, Hirohito?”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“I know, if you like the girl, I suggest you be smooth the next time. Taunting and teasing is too elementary. Study your groove.” Kaede said as she smiled at the hanyou.
 
“What?! I do not -“ Study your groove?! What the?!
 
“Goodbye, Hirohito. Tell your Dad, I'll be coming over this weekend to discuss something with him.”
 
“I…Umm…”
 
“Anything else, Hirohito?”
 
“Nothing. Goodbye, Ma'am.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~