InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Complexities of Fate ❯ New Beginnings ( Chapter 31 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
Rainydays: Ahhh, here's your update. ^_^
 
AngelsRebellion: Hmm…One more chapter and you'll see. The crying part, I can't give it a rest though…I promised you a roller coaster ride in the first place.
 
Charice: I hope this chapter will reach you alive….Hehehe!
 
Ryo-Truesdale: You're a man?....whoaaa….I thought you were a girl. Sorry. My mistake. Happy Readings.
 
Inukaggrl06: Chels!!! Sorry I haven't been emailing anyone. My exboyfriend is into some flooding-aryanna's-mail frenzy and it's tiring opening my inbox to see 500 messages with the same text…just tiring…. So, what's up with you? I'll email you later, I had him blocked so…
 
0oStandinOuto0: Umm….let me think…is this an Inu/Kag fanfic? Bwahahaha. *smiles* If you've read A Little Game called Love, you know what pairing this is…
 
BiggestInuyashaFANever: Hey, the chapter is ummm….not a tear-buster…wait for it.
 
Portia: Hmm….I hope you're okay….you kinda looked pitiful on the floor….Hehehe. Goodness be patient, this story is good…really good…but then again it's my story…so…Hehehe!
 
LadyWolf: Girl!!! I haven't been opening my email! Arrghh…ex-bf issues. Anyway, what's your country and area code? I've resolved the time difference thingy….and…do you have a shorter name…why I can pronounce well…? Hehehe…I don't want to sounf like some ninny the first time we talk..
 
Elenecala: Sesshoumaru will always be a god in my eyes…integrity-wise….he's sexy…enough said. Hahaha!
 
TrinityK: You'll love how they'll meet…I loved it….I'm rereading it for your pleasure….^_^
 
Meru: Hey, UPDATE!!
 
DeadlySoulCaster: Inuyasha's youkai chose Kagome….get the hint? LOL.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 31:NEW BEGINNINGS
 
 
 
 
My heart will remember you at first sight…
 
Kagome bolted upright, her breathing heavy. It's that dream again…She thought as she looked at her alarm clock. Ah, too early. Kagome yawned and stretched freeing herself from the pink blanket that managed to get tangled around her body in her sleep. She shrieked a little when she stepped on the green, crocodile stuff toy Souta gave her for good luck when she took the college entrance exams.
 
Argh! She thought as she hopped around her room. She wiggled her big toe until the pain subsided. She grabbed the pink towel hanging from the rack and proceeded to the bathroom. She hummed a cheerful tune as she planned on what she's going to do for the rest of the day.
 
I'll meet up with Sango and Miroku and we'll watch a movie…I won't think about the exam results. Argh! Stop thinking! Kagome berated herself as she felt butterflies around her stomach, the college entrance exam results are due to arrive that day and like Sango and Miroku, she thought of nothing but the results.
 
Tokyo University or nothing…She thought as she rinsed her hair. Okay, any university or nothing…She laughed at herself as she turned the shower off. She quickly dried in her hair and changed into a comfortable cargo shorts and white tank top. She adjusted the gold necklace hanging from her neck as she brushed her hair.
 
“Nee-chan…?” Twelve year old Souta yawned as he opened his sister's bedroom.
 
“Morning Souta…why are you up early? Classes have ended.”
 
“Oh, Hitomi and I have a date…” Souta casually said and Kagome bent down a little to pinch her brother's cheek.
 
“Aww….my baby brother is such a lady's man….”
 
“Stop, nee-chan! I'm not a baby anymore, I already have a girlfriend!”
 
“You should thank me for all the nights I slaved writing love letters for your girl! You ungrateful brat!” Kagome taunted playfully.
 
“And I had to do the dishes every night for your trouble so that was fair exchange…” Souta replied rolling his eyes.
 
“Ah, young love…” Kagome said as he hugged her brother.
 
“You should get yourself a boyfr---“ Souta started and stopped.
 
“What?”
 
“Let's go down for breakfast.” Souta hastily said and breathed easy when Kagome smiled at him. The family is always careful not to mention anything that would trigger memories in Kagome's head. His sister's situation is fragile and they walk around her in tiptoes praying the two years would end soon…and now it does but old habits die hard.
 
“Souta!” Kagome called and Souta snapped his head in his sister's direction.
 
“Duh, breakfast?” Kagome said rolling her eyes heavenwards and Souta followed her downstairs.
 
“Morning Mama, Ji-chan…” the siblings greeted the other two occupants of the table.
 
“Morning…” Their grandfather grunted.
 
“Morning Souta, Kagome…” Mrs. Higurashi greeted back as she smiled at her children, her gaze lingering on Kagome's face.
 
“What is it, Mama?” Kagome asked her mother.
 
“Nothing…” Mrs. Higurtashi replied smiling fondly at her daughter. I wonder what's more to come, Kagome. Mrs. Higurashi thought. After the bond was broken, Kagome was hesitant to get home-schooled again but Mrs. Higurashi stood her ground telling her daughter that her grandfather is sick and needs a constant companion. It broke her heart at how Kagome apologized and Mrs. Higurashi had run towards her bedroom and cried. How could a mother tell her daughter she can't get go back to school because her classmates would remember her and Inuyasha? How could a mother tell her daughter that she made up excuse after excuse so she'd stay home, Miroku and Sango her only contacts to the world she loves?
 
“Mama, are you okay?” Kagome asked her mother with concern in her deep blue eyes.
 
“Yes, I was just thinking…”
 
“What's wrong with this family this morning, at first Souta and now you, Mama…” Kagome commented as she poured syrup on her pancake.
 
“Aren't you excited, darling?” Mrs. Higurashi asked recovering her composure.
 
“About what?”
 
“About the college entrance exam results…?”
 
“Mama, I'm trying not to think about it…”
 
“Oh, I'm sorry…”
 
“No, it's okay. I'm just nervous…” Kagome said smiling at her mother. In truth she's both nervous and excited. Nervous because she might not make it to her dream school, The University of Tokyo and excited because if she will make it, she'll be on her own for the first time. Kagome loves her family but the past two years was a little suffocating for her - she wasn't allowed out, her mother telling her to look after her grandfather who looked perfectly healthy to her. She was glad though that her former classmates Miroku and Sango keep her updated with what's going on in `the outside world.'
 
“I'm sure you'll pass nee-chan.” Souta's voice woke her up from her thoughts and she looked guiltily at her family who are all unaware how badly she needed to go away…
 
“Thank you, Souta…I promise to send you pictures…” Kagome joked and smirked when Souta rolled his eyes.
 
“You shouldn't do that often, it might get permanent…” Kagome teased and Souta raised his brow.
 
“You shouldn't wrinkle your nose then, it might get permanent too…” Souta retorted and Kagome laughed.
 
“Do you have plans for the day?” Mrs. Higurashi asked.
 
“Sango, Miroku and I are going out to watch a movie…” Kagome said holding her breath as she waited for her mother to object.
 
“Okay…” Mrs. Higurshi replied and resumed eating. Kagome's eyes bulged.
 
“You're letting me go?” She asked he mother in amazement.
 
“Of course…”
 
“Why?”
 
“I thought you want to go out?”
 
“But you were not this easy to convince before…”
 
“Do you want me to say no?” Mrs. Higurashi asked.
 
“Of course not…”
 
“So what are you complaining about?”
 
“I'm just surprised, Mama.” Kagome said smiling shyly at her mother.
 
The two years is up Kagome, you're free…
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
“Inuyasha…” Mr. Bokusen winced as he heard the noisy banging of the drums. He never could understand how his student, a hanyou at that, could stand the noise. He opened Inuyasha's door and watched as the teenager made more noise banging a stick against those hideous instruments. He sighed as Inuyasha, who had his eyes closed, did not sense him entering the room. Or so he thought…
 
“Did that blow your hearing away, sensei?” Inuyasha asked, eyes still closed as he twiddled with the sticks.
 
“You knew I was here all along?”
 
“Of course, but it was fun making you wince.” Inuyasha replied grinning.
 
“You've come a long way, Inuyasha…”
 
“Are you going to cry on me now?” Inuyasha asked teasingly as he stood up and put the drum sticks down.
 
“Are you ready to go?” Mr. Bokusen asked smiling at the boy fondly.
 
“Yes,”
 
“I hope you'll find what you're looking for…” Mr. Bokusen said and Inuyasha raised his brow.
 
“What exactly am I looking for?” He asked.
 
“You're looking for your future, young man…”
 
“Are you going to lecture me about school and stuff, sensei…come on…!” Inuyasha groaned and Mr. Bokusen laughed. He had grown fond of the boy and he's even sad that he's leaving to go back to Japan.
 
“Speaking of school…I got a letter from the University of Tokyo…”
 
“What does it say…?” Inuyasha said, not betraying the nervousness he felt. He had flown back to Japan without his family's knowledge just to take the entrance exams and the council was hesitant to let him go at first but his sensei had fought for him.
 
“Well…you didn't pass…” Mr. Bokusen said and smiled as the hanyou's shoulders droop. He was hoping Inuyasha would continue his studies in London but when the boy read a brochure about the University of Tokyo he had researched about the school and fell in love with it…
 
“At least I tried…” Inuyasha said, his heart twisting at the idea. Something about the school calls to him.
 
“So, are you leaving still?” Mr. Bokusen asked eyeing Inuyasha's packed belongings. He knew what called Inuyasha to go back to Japan, he knew even when the boy doesn't.
 
“The way you say it sensei, it seems you're going to miss me.” Inuyasha kidded, his eyes softened when he looked at the old man who treated him as his own son.
 
“Of course, I'll miss you, this castle will be too quiet when you're gone…You were quiet noisy you know.” Mr. Bokusen said in a mock sigh and Inuyasha laughed.
 
“I'll miss this place…and you of course, sensei…”
 
“We'll miss you too Inuyasha. Before I forget…” Mr. Bokusen said as he took the enveloped from his pocket. “Here…”
 
Inuyasha eyed the enveloped skeptically. “No, it's okay. I failed, right?”
 
“You tell me…I did not open it.” Mr. Bokusen said as Inuyasha took the envelope. He exited Inuyasha's bedroom and heard and loud whoop. I guess he passed. The old man thought smiling as he leaned against his cane.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
Kagome could not concentrate as she tried to look at the wide screen.
 
“Quit fidgeting…” Sango said as she hid behind her handkerchief, the three friends were watching the horror movie `The Reincarnation' and all Kagome could think about was the exam results. Sango shrieked and Kagome snapped her attention back to the movie.
 
“Did you see that, the man turned into that little boy…he sort of melted or something….” Sango whispered quietly as Miroku snored.
 
“You're boyfriend is asleep…” Kagome commented giggling as Sango nudged Miroku with her elbow.
 
“What…what happened…?” Miroku asked stupidly as he wiped the drool off his chin.
 
“Ewww…” Sango remarked as she gave him her handkerchief.
 
“Wow….who would have thought there exists a man who could sleep through Sango's shrieks…” Kagome said.
 
“Ah, Kagome…I've heard Sango shriek louder…” Miroku replied and Sango bopped him on the head. Kagome knew Sango and Miroku were intimate…how intimate she does not know but basing on Sango's reaction…they're way beyond petting.
 
“Shut up Miroku…” Sango hissed and Kagome giggled. She gave Sango her handkerchief to hide in because hers was wet with Miroku's drool. Kagome wondered how a brave, testy girl like Sango could be reduced into a shrieking teenager when watching horror movies.
 
“That was scary…” Sango said when the movie finished.
 
“Yes, it was…” Miroku seconded as he yawned.
 
“Yeah, right…” Sango said smirking. “Why are so quiet, Kagome?” She asked her friend.
 
“The results are due to arrive today…” Kagome said and regretted when Sango clutched her arm painfully.
 
“Shit, I totally forgot…I hope I passed…!! Damn, I think I failed….My dad's going to kill me if I failed…Shit, I should have studied some more….Tokyo University is the premiere school but…gods….”
 
“Sango, calm down…” Kagome said as she freed her arm from Sango's death grip.
 
“Darn, what if I failed…”
 
“We'll never know unless…”
 
“I think I should go home to see how I fared…bye guys!” Sango said as she ran off leaving Miroku and Kagome gaping at her.
 
“Did she just leave us?” Kagome asked Miroku.
 
“Ah, don't complain. I'm her boyfriend and she left me…”
 
“Miroku...” Kagome said rolling her eyes.
 
“Do you want me to….”
 
“No, I'll go home by myself…you run after Sango.” Kagome said as she waved goodbye at Miroku.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Kagome ascended the shrine steps with heavy steps. Did I pass? What if I did not? Damn, I should have prepared for it harder…She paused and laughed softly when she realized she started to sound like Sango.
 
“Mama, I'm home…” Kagome called as she opened the door.
 
“Welcome home, Kagome.” Mrs. Higurashi greeted her daughter who kissed her cheek.
 
“Did anything arrive for me, Mama?” Kagome asked hesitantly and Mrs. Higurashi smiled as she handed Kagome the white envelope with Tokyo University's seal. Kagome held her breath as she clasped the letter to her chest. She turned and ran up to her room taking the stairs two steps at a time. Mrs. Higurashi, Souta and their grandfather followed and fought for a space outside Kagome's door. They held their breaths as they heard a paper tear.
 
Kagome's heartbeat raced as she closed her eyes and pulled a thick wad of paper out. She opened one eye as she took a peek. Damn, Kagome, don't be a coward now. Kagome took a breath as she opened both eyes and quickly read the letter. She put it back inside the envelope and opened the door, her face expressionless…
 
Mrs. Higurashi's face fell when Kagome opened the door. They followed Kagome quietly as the teenager descended the stairs. They sat around the dining table as Kagome opened the refrigerator and took a gulp straight from the carton of fresh milk.
 
“Kagome…” Mrs. Higurashi said, unsure how to comfort her daughter. She knew how much Kagome wanted to pass the Tokyo University entrance exams and she was willing to give anything to make her daughter's dream come true for once.
 
“Nee-chan…” Souta said as he stood up and wrapped his arms around Kagome. As usual their grandfather said nothing.
 
“It's okay, Kagome…” Mrs. Higurashi said as she stood up to wrap her arm around her son and daughter.
 
“Don't miss me too much…” Kagome said quietly.
 
“Huh?” Souta asked raising his brow.
 
“I'm sure you'll love the pictures I'll be sending you, Souta.” Kagome said and grinned.
 
“You mean…?” Souta asked, his eyes widening.
 
“I PASSED!!” Kagome shrieked as she hugged her brother and mother. “I passed.” She sobbed feeling happy and sad at the same time.
 
“Why are you crying, nee-chan?” Souta asked.
 
“Because I'll be leaving you…” Kagome said as she sobbed in her mother's arms.
 
“Kagome, you deserve it…”
 
“Thank you, Mama.” Kagome replied as the telephone rang. Kagome went and hugged her grandfather happily as Mrs. Higurashi answered the phone.
 
“Higurashi Shrine, hello?”
 
“Lora, Izza here…”
 
“Oh…hello…” Mrs. Higurashi looked at Kagome happily chattering with her brother.
 
“It's been a long time…”
 
“Yes, it is.” Mrs. Higurashi replied smiling gently. The Hirohitos had not failed to contact them and send the family gifts on special occasions. They had made an agreement that their identity be withheld from Kagome to avoid awkward and long explanations.
 
“Inuyasha's coming…”
 
“I know… what do you want me to do?”
 
“Nothing…we can't interfere.”
 
“I see…” Mrs. Higurashi sighed as she heard Kagome told Souta how excited she is.
 
“Kagome is going off to college.”
 
“Inuyasha made it to Tokyo University…”Mrs. Hirohito volunteered.
 
“Good…because that's where my daughter is going.”
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha smiled as he descended the plane. He put his sunglasses back on and smiled when he saw His parents and Sesshoumaru waving at him from the waiting area. He rolled his trolley hurriedly and ran to hug his mother.
 
“You're back!” Mrs. Hirohito cried as she hugged her son.
 
“No crying, Mom.” Inuyasha said as he kissed both his mother's cheeks.
 
“I'm happy you're home…”
 
“Then just smile.” Inuyasha teased and winked at his mother. Mr. Hirohito grabbed his son's shoulder and hugged his `little boy' who's now taller than him.
 
“You've grown!” Mr. Hirohito proudly thumped his son's shoulder.
 
“Of course dad, you didn't expect me to be bullied by Sesshoumaru all my life, did you?” Inuyasha said as he hugged his father.
 
“I bet I can still kick your ass even if you're taller…” Sesshoumaru said as he watched his not so little brother.
 
“Ah, I'm itching for a fight, I hope you're ready.” Inuyasha said as hugged his older brother. Sesshoumaru laughed and patted Inuyasha's head.
 
“Hey, don't do that!” Inuyasha said twisting away from Sesshoumaru's who put right arm around Inuyasha's neck and messed his hair.
 
“See…I can still kick your ass.” Sesshoumaru said as he let Inuyasha go.
 
“Ah, I'm so eager to prove you wrong.”
 
“Wait till we get home, Inuyasha…” Sesshoumaru said smirking.
 
“I hope you're ready to get bruised.”
 
“We'll see how true those flowery reports were about your progress…” Sesshoumaru said ignoring Inuyasha's last remark.
 
“I don't care what you boys do but stay away from my rose garden or I'll have both your heads.” Mrs. Hirohito interrupted as she walked ahead in her husband's arms leaving both her sons behind.
 
“Mom is scary.” Inuyasha told his brother who smirked.
 
“She's not, you're just gone too long.” Sesshoumaru replied.
 
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
Author's Note:
 
You better review…or else I won't be posting the next chapter…and it's ggoooodddd….so you better….Hehehe! Kidding! *puppy eyes*