InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Complexities of Fate ❯ The Chase ( Chapter 56 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

 
 
 
This chapter is for:
 
 
Meru: My 800th reviewer, although you're my rival when it comes to Inuyasha's affections (hahaha!), I still consider you a good friend and I value your heart-felt reviews. Thanks! ^_^
 
HopelesslyEscaflowne: When I see the word escaflowne, I'm always reminded of Prince Van…another good-looking guy who continues to haunt my dreams (*smirk*). Thank you for the review and the suggestion. I'm working things out with my beta though she has not replied to my email yet. ^_^
 
anime_gurl06: Here's the update, I'm so sorry if it's not soon enough. School is driving me crazy.
 
Acheronlover: I'll make him grovel…not because I love to see him suffer but because he's rather cute when he grovels…*sigh*
 
0oStandinOuto0: My, your capital, bold letters and exclamation marks really make my day. Thank you so much for the continued support.
 
Inusbabe: I hope you'll like my new story too, Mirror Images, the theme is more mature though but…um…I'm still working on it.
 
Terry: Terry, Terry, Terry…you're too good to be true (do you have a brother? Kidding). Thank you for the input and do take care of my good friend Meanha for me (I know you will). A rebuttal though, we women are not mind readers, you have to tell us what you feel…what's love if left unsaid? But I guess it applies both ways so good luck to all of us. May we all find the person of our dreams while we're still awake. I heard you already found yours. ^_^
 
LadyWolf: Aw, stop being mad at Kagome. I guess she represents most women - feel first, think next. Hey, when are you available to take my call? Email me, I'm online.
 
Lilly McFadden: Thanks. I love Sesshoumaru's character in this story…he's too giving, he's making me fall for him harder than I already do…*wishful thinking*
 
Lor: Here's the update…and I posted this within a week…Hehehe!
 
DeadlySoulCaster: I love your reviews, you have a horse? I have one too…his name's Silver and I miss him terribly he's at my grandmother's ranch and it's painful not to be with him…
 
Angle54: Hey, I hate making people sad….I hope this chapter will make you feel better.
 
inashosetai: Hmm… Aiko is a boy and Akio is a girl. And don't worry, I update fast ^_^ I'm a fanfic reader too and it absolutely drives me up the wall to wait for a month or two for the updates so I'm not going to let you guys suffer the same agony with my fics. *looks at TrinityK, Meru, inukaggrrl06, AngelsRebellion and others meaningfully*
 
silverwolf halfbeast: He does remember, now all he needs to do is convince Kagome that he does *winks*
 
elenacala: Hmm…read on…I don't know how you'll react to this chapter.
 
rainydays: the necklaces will come into play later…and that's one hell of a fluff…I promise…my toes curl at the idea…I'm so weird…
 
monk-miko: the reunion is sweet…sweeter…the sweetest chapter I'll ever dare write so wait for it!
 
Kagome -- dogboylover: I update fast, no worries… plus the reunion…aww, it had me hyperventilating!
 
baka_juju2000: You're right, love is like a rollercoaster…but at the end of the day, it's all worth the ride…hmmm….we're so romantic…we should get together and share notes on love! Hahaha!
 
Akina315: Thanks for leaving a review…as always I appreciate your support, don't get tired reading my works…I hope… ^_^
 
AngelsRebellion: Thanks, it's a great honor to be praised by one great author. Hey, write some more!
 
Firelight: Thank you! I'll make sure to update faster for you.
 
AznxPurity: Hahaha! Here's the update…don't die yet or you'll miss all the fluff…
 
Lovelywhite110: Hmm…my first reviewer for chapter 55, thank you so much. Enjoy the new chapter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER 56: THE CHASE
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha watched as Kagome descended the stage amidst whistles and catcalls when the song finished and he clutched the golden necklace securely drawing comfort from the cold feel of the miniscule key against his palm. He longs to touch her, to make sure that she's real. He slowly slipped the gold chain into his neck as he stood up to approach Kagome's table.
 
How could I have not remembered you, my mate?
 
 
Inuyasha tried to move closer but stopped when someone latched an arm around his waist.
 
“Inu…” Kikyo grinned drunkenly and Inuyasha quelled the urge to roll his eyes.
 
“Kikyo…” He said as he pried her arm off him but she just hugged him with both arms.
 
“Inu-kun…I'm feeling rather naughty tonight…let's go somewhere more private…Kikyo whispered as she drew circles on his chest. Inuyasha's stomach flinched with disgust.
 
“I have something more important to do…leave me alone…” Inuyasha said as he pushed her to the side. Kikyo pouted for all she's worth and clutched his shirt when he took a step.
 
“Why are you like this? I am making the first move…I remember when you used to follow me around but now it seems you don't want my company.” Kikyo recited in a hurt voice and Inuyasha craned his neck as he looked for Kagome.
 
“Let go of me before I use my claws on you…” Inuyasha said in a whisper, his eyes narrowing at the drunken girl clutching him. Kikyo blanched.
 
“Well, be flattered I gave your sorry hanyou ass attention, you baka! You don't know what you're missing!” Kikyo shrieked as she ineffectively kicked Inuyasha's shin making her tumble and fall in the process. Inuyasha looked at the girl disgustedly.
 
“Pathetic…” He whispered as he scanned the bar for Kagome.
 
“Inuyasha, come back here!!” Kikyo yelled and Inuyasha exited the bar hurriedly. Shit. He thought as he tried to sniff the air for Kagome but got a nose-full of different scents. Kagome, where are you? He thought as he looked around wearily.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
“Hey….” Akio said as he watched Kagome's morose expression.
 
“Huh?” Kagome asked smiling at her passenger as she took her eyes off the road for a second.
 
“What's bothering you?” Akio asked the girl whom everyone at the debating circle considers a little sister, everyone except Hojo whose feelings towards Kagome are obviously not platonic.
 
“Nothing…I'm just thinking…” Kagome replied.
 
“Kagome, love is never easy…” Akio said knowingly and Kagome laughed.
 
“What's with people today? Earlier, Natomi told me loving is holding on when the person is too difficult to hold…” Kagome said, laughing softly.
 
“You're very transparent, you know…we could read you like an open book…” Akio said and Kagome sighed.
 
“Gods, I miss him…” She murmured, her eyes watering a little and she furiously blinked the tears away.
 
“So what the hell are we doing driving to Hokkaido when you obviously would rather be somewhere else?” Akio asked and Kagome smiled tearfully.
 
“I'm giving him space…”
 
“Even if he didn't ask for one?”
 
“Yeah, that's how giving I am…”Kagome replied, smiling at Akio. Besides, he forgot completely, I was too late.
 
“Third party?” Akio asked and Kagome nodded her head. Third party and a spell gone bad…
 
“Hm..”
 
“His or yours?”
 
“What kind of a question is that? Do you think I'd two-time him, I love for heaven's sake!” Kagome replied hotly as she gripped the steering wheel tighter.
 
“Well then it must be a one-sided love…” Akio baited and Kagome's eyes glinted.
 
“What?!”
 
“Come on, you were indignant when I suggested you two-timing him when you obviously love him meaning to say that when you love a person, loving another is out of the question…right?”
 
“Of course…” Kagome said rolling her eyes.
 
“Well then if you're not the one two-timing, then he is…since you said earlier that a third party is involved…correct?”
 
“Where exactly are you heading with this argument?” Kagome asked narrowing her eyes and Akio smiled knowing that Kagome's debater instinct has kicked in.
 
“Process…” Akio taunted and Kagome raised her brow. “See here, you implied it's preposterous to suggest that you are two-timing him because as you said you love him so the two-timing must have come from his side, if he's able to two-time you, it's safe to say he does not love you…does he?” Akio asked and Kagome sighed.
 
“I don't know…”
 
“Come on, we men are not that difficult to figure out…” Akio said patronizingly and Kagome wrinkled her nose.
 
“I was jealous and hurt…”
 
“Why?”
 
“Because I'm human?”
 
“No, why were you jealous, don't you trust him?” Akio asked and Kagome's heart jumped to her throat.
 
“You weren't there, you don't know what happened…” Kagome said, her temper rising as she realized that she took Akio's bait.
 
“That's what you need…an outsider to look at things differently, you're too involved to be unbiased…”
 
“Fine Akio…humor me…analyze mine and Inuyasha's situation…” Kagome challenged and Akio stared at her thoughtfully.
 
“He's awfully showy and affectionate for someone who's not supposed to be in love with you…I mean he brings you lunch, drops by the debaters circle's office just to say hello and kiss your forehead, I mean, man…cheesy…he makes the rest of us guys look bad and that's something you shouldn't just ignore, Kagome. Him going out of his way to do little things for you…”
 
“Stop already, you're going to make me cry…” Kagome said inhaling air to prevent the sobs from coming. But Akio wasn't finished yet.
 
“He loves you and he's letting everyone know. Even if you hadn't told us that you guys are dating, I would still know because your face lights up when he's near and he stares at you like some sick puppy when you're not looking…” Akio said and Kagome laughed, her tears running down her cheeks unbidden.
 
“Don't let him hear you call him a puppy…” Kagome chastised gently.
 
“Come on, Kags, you're like my baby sister but this sudden display of cowardice is just way below you…”
 
“I'm scared…”
 
“That?”
 
“I'd lose him…”
 
“You are losing him by being stubborn…”
 
“But I was hurt too…” Kagome reasoned. And this time I would rather that he come to me on his own.
 
“Of course you are…it wouldn't be love if it's all happiness and no pain…”
 
“Why are you doing this?” Kagome asked suddenly as she groped for her handkerchief.
 
“Because you've found each other and that's a difficult thing to do…half of this world's population is walking and wandering aimlessly, looking for what you and Inuyasha share…”
 
“Are you one of them?” Kagome asked in a jest and was surprised when Akio sighed.
 
“May be…”
 
“Well, that's because you're looking to far…” Kagome said.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“Come on, are you really that dense? Here I am nearly falling in love with you hearing you talk but there's someone already in love with you even when you're not talking…” Kagome said.
 
“Is this payback for making you cry?” Akio asked and Kagome laughed.
 
“No, it's payback for making me realize how much of a baka I am…” Kagome replied smiling as she saw the confused look on Akio's face.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
Inuyasha opened Kagome's door silently as he closed his eyes and inhaled her scent. He had combed Tokyo for her and went back to the dorm hoping she was waiting for him there. If he dislikes Kikyo before, he hates her now with such ferocity he felt like snapping her neck in two for making him lose Kagome. He unwrapped his new cell phone and dialed Sesshoumaru's number.
 
“Hello, good evening…” Sesshoumaru said and Inuyasha raised his brow at his brother's manners and realized he does not know Inuyasha's new number.
 
“Sess…” Inuyasha said.
 
“Inubaka?” He heard Sesshoumaru drawl from the other line and Inuyasha smirked.
 
“Something nasty crawled inside your ass?” He retorted and heard Sesshoumaru's bored sigh.
 
“What do you want, I'm rather busy?”
 
“Busy with reading? You should have been a librarian.” Inuyasha taunted letting his frustrations out on his brother.
 
“Just because you can't read doesn't mean we can't too…” Sesshoumaru replied and Inuyasha nearly grinned.
 
“Nice.”
 
“What do you want Inubaka?”
 
“I lost Kagome…again…” Inuyasha said and he felt his heart twitch painfully.
 
“Again?”
 
“I remember…us….” He replied and heard Sesshoumaru's sharp intake of breath.
 
“Where are you?”
 
“Dorm.”
 
“Wait for me, I'll come over.” Sesshoumaru said and Inuyasha looked at his cell phone incredulously.
 
I guess that means Sesshoumaru is taking his promise seriously. He thought as he flipped his cell phone close.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
The team reached Hokkaido University before twelve midnight and quickly settled themselves in a hotel - two people per bedroom. Kagome roomed with tempura-loving Aiko.
 
“Where are those hot men Akemi mentioned?” Aiko asked as they put their clothes inside the closet.
 
“Asleep? Since it's past midnight…” Kagome replied as she hung her pink business suit beside the yellow and white she unpacked earlier.
 
“They shouldn't be asleep since I'm still awake!” Aiko replied with a pout and Kagome laughed softly. They took a bath and Aiko fell asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow leaving Kagome finally to her thoughts. Sighing, she grabbed her cell phone and dialed Inuyasha's number.
 
“Hmm…the subscriber cannot be reach?” She said aloud as she tried for the eleventh time. “I hope nothing is wrong with him….”
 
“Kagome?” Akio inquired as she opened her eyes lazily.
 
“Oh sorry, go back to sleep…I'm just talking to myself…” Kagome said and her roommate smiled lazily and closed her eyes. Kagome turned her cell phone to vibra mode and placed it under her pillow. Where are you, Inuyasha? She thought before she followed Aiko's lead and let sleep claim her.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
“When did this happen?” Sesshoumaru asked taking the cold Heineken beer Inuyasha handed him.
 
“Earlier tonight…I heard her sing and something in my head snapped.”
 
“I see…” Sesshoumaru replied.
 
“Do you?” Inuyasha asked.
 
“Are you angry that you remembered this late?”
 
“No, I'm angry that I lost her again…”
 
“Have you called her friends to ask where she is?”
 
“I can't, I don't have their numbers, they're stored in my old phone.”
 
“You, Inuyasha, are giving the word idiocy a whole new meaning…” Sesshoumaru smirked as he sipped his beer.
 
“I'm sorry if such lapse in judgment is making you uncomfortable oh mighty, all-knowing fluffster…” Inuyasha replied smirking too.
 
“Hn…” Sesshoumaru grunted and Inuyasha sighed.
 
“How come my youkai didn't call for her?”
 
“It did…you were just too busy being a hentai to notice…”
 
“What do you mean?”
 
“You were supposed to remember first and your youkai is supposed to wake Kagome up and she'll remember after you…”
 
“What happened?”
 
“You were occupied? You were immediately physically attracted to her and the attraction I think made your youkai thought you remembered…”
 
“So it proceeded to wake Kagome's memories up?”
 
“Hm…”
 
“And you know about this because…?”
 
“Because I'm not a baka like my supposedly smart younger brother…” Sesshoumaru answered smoothly.
 
“I hope she's okay…” Inuyasha said and a broken voice and Sesshoumaru raised his brow.
 
“Is it just me or are you really an idiot?”
 
“What?!”
 
“Can't you feel if she's okay?”
 
“How am I supposed to do that?”
 
“Inuyasha, we are talking about your mate, of course you're supposed to feel if she's alright, idiot!”
 
“She is…” Inuyasha replied after a minute.
 
“Good…” Sesshoumaru nodded approvingly. “Now, concentrate and find her…”
 
“How?”
 
“The same way you were able to discern that she's okay.” Sesshoumaru impatiently replied.
 
“Okay…” Inuyasha replied closing his eyes.
 
“Kagome is unlucky to fall in love with the dull-headed brother…” Sesshoumaru whispered and Inuyasha's eyes snapped open.
 
“Hey, stop feeling sorry because she chose me.”
 
“Whatever…go find her already before I lose my patience and throw you outside the window.”
 
“As if you can…” Inuyasha replied before closing his eyes again.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
“”Akemi was right about the men…” Aiko said dreamily grabbing Kagome's arm. The team had decided to shop and look around Hokkaido after they qualified for the elimination rounds.
 
“They make your day, huh?” Kagome teased and Aiko let out a contented sigh.
 
“Did you see the first speaker from the other team, he was positively drooling over you!” Lei announced excitedly and Akemi and Natomi nodded their heads.
 
“He was drooling over Akio, he's absolutely dashing today.” Kagome said looking pointedly at Kira.
 
“He is…” The older girl agreed and they all raised their brows.
 
“So you like him? Why not do something about it?” Lei asked.
 
“He's obviously in love with you, that's why…” Kira replied rolling her eyes at Lei.
 
“Come on, I know Akio since before diapers were invented, it would be like incest to like him back romantically!” Lei replied shuddering at the idea and Akemi cleared her throat meaningfully when the men approached their table.
 
“Did you sleep well, Higurashi?” Hojo asked, blushing furiously.
 
“I did, thank you.” Kagome replied.
 
“Umm…” Hojo started and stopped when an older man approached their table.
 
“Good afternoon…” The man greeted and they all replied bowing their heads.
 
“I'm Mr. Kiro Saitoh of Elite Models Inc.” The man introduced and they all raised their brows.
 
“And…” Akio asked, his brow furrowing.
 
“And is it okay if I talk with the lady alone?” He asked looking at Kagome.
 
“No, we don't think so…” Akemi replied grasping Kagome's hand under the table. Mr. Saitoh chuckled giving them each his business card and showing then his i.d. which the team examined meticulously.
 
“See, I really am who I told you I am and I don't wish to harm your friend, I merely want to give her an offer…”
 
“What offer?” Hojo asked standing behind Kagome's chair.
 
“A client is looking for a new face to represent their product and I think your friend is just perfect for the job…”
 
“What product?” Aiko asked.
 
“Shampoo…”
 
“Ohhh…” The team replied except Kagome who remained quiet all throughout the conversation.
 
“The auditions are ongoing at Hotel Sapporo. If you're interested, please…we'd really love to see you there.” Mr. Saitoh said smiling kindly at Kagome.
 
“Papa?” A little girl approached and Mr. Saitoh patted the child's head affectionately.
 
“This is my daughter, Rio.” Mr. Saitoh introduced and Lei squealed.
 
“Such a pretty girl!” Lei said and Akio rolled his eyes.
 
“So Miss….”
 
“Kagome Higurashi.” Natomi supplied eagerly.
 
“So Miss Kagome Higurashi, I hope to see you at the auditions. Good afternoon, it's a pleasure meeting you all.” The man took his hat off and bowed before them before taking his daughter's hand to leave.
 
“You should go!” Akemi urged.
 
“Kagome, this is an opportunity of a lifetime!” Aiko seconded.
 
“I want to be a lawyer, not a model…” Kagome replied rolling her eyes at her teammates.
 
“Well, a lawyer slash model is more impressive…” Natomi said grinning.
 
“It's not part of my plan…” Kagome said wrinkling her nose.
 
“Wow, who lives by plans nowadays. It's better to just go with the flow and think of the plan when you're in deep waters…”
 
“And drown and die…” Akio said and the girls scowled at him.
 
“Don't be an ass…” Kira spoke for the first time, blushing furiously.
 
“I'm just stating the obvious.” Akio replied defensively and the others swiveled their gazes to look at him.
 
“What obvious, you can't even see the obvious!” Kira said hotly and they all turned to look at the girl.
 
“What does that suppose to mean?” Akio asked and Hojo nodded while the girls rolled their eyes.
 
“I don't know, why don't you meditate on that and form a rebuttal…I'm eager to hear it.” Kira said as she stood up.
 
“What's wrong with her?” Akio asked Lei who scowled at him.
 
“What's wrong with you…you're so dense!” Lei replied as she stood up to follow her friend.
 
“Girls are so complicated…” Hojo said and swallowed convulsively when he heard the women growl.
 
“Come on Akio, we women are not that difficult to figure out…” Kagome said patting Akio's back as she followed the others.
 
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
“Are you sure she's here, we've been going around in circles for more than a week now!” Sesshoumaru said as they parked and ate at a local restaurant in Kyoto.
 
“I sensed that she was here!” Inuyasha replied stubbornly, “But she already left…” He added as he closed his eyes trying to find Kagome. She was here a few days ago…He thought sadly. They immediately drove to Hokkaido after two days of Inuyasha trying to sense Kagome. Inuyasha told Sesshoumaru that he somehow felt that Kagome went north and Sesshoumaru agreed when he read on a local newspaper that Hokkaido University is holding an open debate tournament but when they got there the tournament has ended. They were able to confirm though that indeed the Tokyo University Debaters Circle participated and won in the event.
 
“No wonder you're losing your mate, you moron!” Sesshoumaru hissed.
 
“Look Sess, I'm not used to this sensing my mate when she's miles away thing! I can sense what Kagome is doing or is up to when she's not an island away!” Inuyasha retorted his temper flaring. They have traveled back to Tokyo after a night in Hokkaido because that's where Inuyasha felt Kagome went but they saw no sign of Kagome or the Tokyo University Debating Team there. And now they're in Kyoto and tempers were running high.
 
“You wouldn't be sensing for her had you done your job as her mate!”
 
“I know and I'm sorry I'm such a lousy husband!” Inuyasha said, his eyes sparkling with what looked like unshed tears and he looked away from Sesshoumaru quickly.
 
“I'm sorry…” Sesshoumaru said patting Inuyasha's shoulder.
 
“I tried calling her but she's not picking up…” Inuyasha said and Sesshoumaru sighed.
 
“I tried calling her too but…”
 
“I know Sess, I'm sorry for dragging you around…”
 
“You're getting soft.” Sesshoumaru drawled and Inuyasha smirked.
 
“At least I can sense that she's okay…” Inuyasha said as he massaged his temple. “ She's angry and I can't blame her, I'm such a fool…I should have told Paris off when she claimed that she's my girlfriend but I was too shock to see her to say or do anything. I kept thinking that Kagome would understand and that she'd believe me when I tell her later but…” Inuyasha bowed his head and sighed.
 
“You'll find her…” Sesshoumaru said gently as he motioned the waiter for the bill.
 
“I wish I'll find her soon or I'm going to lose my mind…” Inuyasha replied.
 
“She's very pretty…” They heard a boy's excited whisper.
 
“I heard she's really smart...” The waiter said sighing longingly and Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru smirked catching each others eye.
 
“She's a pre-law student and a debater.” The boy said proudly and Inuyasha's brow furrowed as they continued to listen.
 
“Tokyo University, right?” The waiter said and the boy sighed.
 
“Marry me Ms. Kagome…” The boy said and Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru's heads snapped. Inuyasha looked around for a sign of Kagome.
 
“I think we found your mate…” Sesshoumaru said, his voice filled with amusement.
 
“Where, where is she?” Inuyasha asked and Sesshoumaru pointed to the far corner of the restaurant.
 
“There…” He said and Inuyasha watched as Kagome tossed her hair smiling brightly at him on the television.
 
 
 
 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Author's Note:
 
 
Please reviewand watch out for my new story Mirror Images
And I'm still encountering problems with YouTube, it's frustrating! I have the music videofor Chapter 55but I can't upload it!